• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
www.huffpost.com

Michigan GOP Candidate Tells Daughters 'If Rape Is Inevitable, Lie Back And Enjoy It'

Robert "RJ" Regan is running for state representative in Michigan. One of his daughters previously asked the public not to vote for him.

A GOP candidate running for Michigan's House of Representatives said during a Facebook Live broadcast that he tells his daughters to "lie back and enjoy" rape if it's "inevitable."

Robert "RJ" Regan, who won the GOP special primary in the state's 74th district last week, was discussing how to decertify the 2020 presidential election during a Facebook Live broadcast for the Republican group Rescue Michigan Coalition on Sunday when he made the comment.

"Having three daughters, I tell my daughters, 'Well, if rape is inevitable, you should just lie back and enjoy it,'" Regan said roughly 10 minutes into the broadcast. "That's not how we roll, that's not how we won this election."

What the fuck is wrong with these people? Fucking trash voting for trash.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
It would be insane if he said it in general, but to his... daughters... of all people??

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this isn't the first GOP candidate to say this within the last few years.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Not only is that terrible it doesnt even look like there was context to bring that up so he just drew that metaphor to make a point about resistance (which presumably he doesn't want his daughters to do? the fuck)

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
it's poorly phrased because he's obviously an idiot but I'm pretty sure he's trying to say he wouldn't say that to his daughters? probably?

BobLablow

Apr 18, 2018
Someone should ask him if that only applies if the assailant is white, or Black, Mexican, Muslim, etc.

Have a feeling his tone would suddenly change.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Bet you he rose in the polls from that remark.

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
Statements like these feel like they should be slam dunks for their Democrat rivals. The rest of the article shows the guy referencing some QAnon bullshit.

A little bit of sanity from the article:
Republican Tori Sachs of the Michigan Freedom Fund condemned Regan in a statement to Fox 17.

"RJ Regan's disgusting and dehumanizing comments on the horror of sexual assault along with his support of murderous dictator Vladimir Putin are despicable and completely disqualify him from holding public office," Sachs said. "I teach my four young daughters to stand up for themselves, to know their worth, and to fight back and speak out against creeps like Regan. RJ Regan doesn't belong anywhere near the state Capitol, and that is why we endorsed and supported his opponent."

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Lost reference to Michigan QB.

Either way, these idiots are psychopaths who somehow say this stuff stone cold sober

Last edited:

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
If thats what he meant I guess that would make more sense as a statement. Still awful for every other reason
yeah, my read on it given the context is that he's comparing losing an election to being raped

which is still stupid and horrible, but stupid and horrible in a slightly different way

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
So is he trying to suggest that Biden "winning the election" was like rape? And that "lie down and enjoy it" is sarcasm to deride the people who tell him to move on with his "Trump actually won" nonsense?

It's a terrible statement no matter how you look at it.

OP
OP
GK86

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
So is he trying to suggest that Biden "winning the election" was like rape? And that "lie down and enjoy it" is sarcasm to deride the people who tell him to move on with his "Trump actually won" nonsense?

It's a terrible statement no matter how you look at it.

Is that what he was trying to say? Good lord.

Dec 30, 2020
I hope someday, when he's in some form of distress and something's about to happen that he doesn't want to have happen to him, someone simply whispers, "lay back and enjoy it" in his ear.

Also I hope his daughters disown him.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I hope someday, when he's in some form of distress and something's about to happen that he doesn't want to have happen to him, someone simply whispers, "lay back and enjoy it" in his ear.

Also I hope his daughters disown him.

Hopefully it's inevitable since at least one of them is saying not to vote for him.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
What the fuck.. what is with the follow up sentence and how is he relating that to his daughters enjoying being assaulted? JFC

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Wow… how the fuck do you think it's ok to say shit like that? I wonder what his tune would be if the person committing rape weren't white, would he still suggest to lie down and enjoy it?

Blue Mage

Oct 29, 2017
Portland, OR
A decade ago a similarly abhorrent comment from Scott Akin absolutely destroyed his chances of winning a Missouri Senate seat.

Now thanks to the GOP quadrupling down on their Faustian bargain with the craziest most vile trash of their electorate this guy probably won't even see a hit to his chances in the May special election.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
No. He's saying that he *does* say that to his daughters. It's not "poorly phrased" unless he's saying the complete opposite of what he means.
Well his next words were "that's not how we roll."

I think the person above is right it's a god awful attempt at a "not taking this lying down" kind of statement.

But I mean fuck this guy in general and to have those words come to your mouth, or the thought of making such an analogy.. especially considering his daughters don't support his political career and think he's garbage.. JFC

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Rape used to be a property crime.

When these assholes want to roll things back 100 years they mean it.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
It took me reading part of the article before I remembered this clown, I'm pretty sure we had a topic about him after his daughter was found to have tweeted for people to not vote for him, I imagine he has a great relationship with them just like he does the Jewish community.

EDIT: Yep. In Viral Tweet, Daughter Of Michigan House Candidate Says "for the love of god do not vote for my dad for state rep."

Unbelievable that this piece of shit is trying again and probably going to win this time.

Also someone WedgeX made a topic about this topic too.

www.resetera.com

Detroit Free Press: Michigan GOP doesn't disavow candidate who suggested rape victims 'lie back and enjoy it' News

He also thinks the Russian invasion of Ukraine is fake? https://www.freep.com/story/news/politics/2022/03/08/robert-regan-michigan-74th-house-district-rape/9425468002/ The GOP keeps hitting on the same horrific notes. And still winning elections.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
No. He's saying that he *does* say that to his daughters. It's not "poorly phrased" unless he's saying the complete opposite of what he means.
I mean, yeah. that's how badly he phrased it

in context it's a little more clear that he's (disgustingly) comparing overturning the election results to fighting off a rapist

Saori

Avenger
Dec 12, 2018
fucking piece of shit, don't put any more burden on us with those fucking words. There is nothing to enjoy, it is pain and suffering, lasting far longer than the act itself. These words can only come from a person who disregards the concept of consent entirely.