• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GameOver

Jan 26, 2021
I don't really understand what happened. What does "jump" mean in this scenario? At first glance it sounds like an error by the first mechanic who started the jeep.

Is that not why you bring it to the mechanic? It's like saying "Next time, before you go to the doctor, make sure you're not sick"

It's common practice to leave parked cars in gear for extra safety measure. I leave my car in gear all the time. If on a incline I leave it on 1st and if on downhill I leave it on reverse. It like having a second parking brake.

To start a manual car you have to push the clutch and if release it while the car is on gear it will lunch forward before stalling out.

Vyse

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The plaintiff would still have to prove the owner l was negligent in leaving the car. It's not enough that someone was injured with his property alone.
Does leaving the keys, without questioning the skill sets of those who will have access to the car, count as negligence?

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
There are lots of ways to get around worker's comp. I don't know if this is a valid strategy or not, but it is certainly scummy.

Just because the dealership has to indemnify the car owner does not mean that the car owner isn't suffering from this, BTW. The car owner is literally blameless in this but now they have their name appearing in the public record as a defendant in a wrongful death case. That's pretty fucked up.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Does leaving the keys, without questioning the skill sets of those who will have access to the car, count as negligence?
That would be a question for a jury but I imagine that's a tough sell. Most jurors would likely conclude that it's reasonable to assume the staff at a dealership was properly trained. Otherwise the expectation would be that customers need to essentially conduct background checks and hiring interviews for staff of services they're hiring.

Vyse

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That would be a question for a jury but I imagine that's a tough sell. Most jurors would likely conclude that it's reasonable to assume the staff at a dealership was properly trained. Otherwise the expectation would be that customers need to essentially conduct background checks and hiring interviews for staff of services they're hiring.
My mind believes a jury would think blaming the owner is crazy talk but now I'm wondering if this is just something where the law gets the final say and anyone is open to a sure thing lawsuit if a valet driver runs over someone.

Sparkedglory2

Nov 3, 2017
You can't sue "the boss" for negligence because the law says so? What the hell kind of backwards logic is that? Hope this gets thrown out.

Mar 11, 2020
Wait i still don't understand why they can't sue the company, not the boss. It's a company fault, if the boss owns the company still should be sued to the company shouldn't it?

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
You can't sue "the boss" for negligence because the law says so? What the hell kind of backwards logic is that? Hope this gets thrown out.

Kinda feel like the actual solution to this whole thing would be to overturn that law and then sue the boss. Do one of those 'how is this law still on the books' thing and sing it from the rooftops until the state fixes it.

Andrew J

Oct 26, 2017
The Adirondacks
Kinda feel like the actual solution to this whole thing would be to overturn that law and then sue the boss. Do one of those 'how is this law still on the books' thing and sing it from the rooftops until the state fixes it.

This is how every workers' compensation system in the United States has functioned for over a century. It's not going to change.

Jarsonot

Oct 27, 2017

This is what gets me. Are they suggesting that before I give a repair shop keys to my car I need to personally verify that all employees have the ability and legal right to drive it?

And what if the shop hires someone the day after I drop my keys off, am I still responsible in that scenario?

Either way it's absurd. Are there legal grounds for how I personally verify the ability to drive? What if my criteria are different from someone else's? Is there a road test and written test?

Ridiculous.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
This is how every workers' compensation system in the United States has functioned for over a century. It's not going to change.

Then there should probably be something preventing people being hired to jobs that require a motor vehicle licenses who do not actually have a motor vehicle license which seems like how could that not be a thing.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
That should be thrown out. I shouldn't be responsible for a mechanic fucking up when I'm not around or moving my car.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
So if you park your car on the side of the road and someone goes to break into it, cuts their arm on the glass and bleeds out, can you sue the car owner?

You can sue anyone for any reason in the United States. The only question is whether you win or not.

This is probably something that has to happen to satisfy stupid insurance regulations, like when that aunt sued her nephew and got roasted in the press even though there was no alternative and she wasn't actually trying to win a punitive suit against her nephew. It just had to happen because of the insurance company.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's ridiculous enough to annoy me. The owner didn't do anything wrong. Throw this shit out of court.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
It's clear, based on that threadmark, there's legal precedent to make this case.

I would be SHOCKED, however, if a judge/jury actually found the owner in any way responsible for this.
I don't know about the US but here I'd just assume that the court would rule that a reasonable person would assume that car mechanics are licensed and trained to safely handle a vehicle.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
Wtf is this insane loophole.

So if I ever drop off my car at the dealership, can I drop my keys into a folder/box and not actually hand it to a person who might drive?

Usually, I hand my keys to the service rep, not the actual mechanic. Come to think of it, I usually keep the keys in the ignition as they check the mileage and the service guys takes them out and walks away. I never actually hand him the keys.

sejny

Oct 30, 2017
It's either negligent entrustment, or it's not.

"Negligent entrustment is a cause of action in United States tort law which arises where one party ("the entrustor") is held liable for negligence because they negligently provided another party ("the entrustee") with a dangerous instrumentality, and the entrusted party caused injury to a third party with that instrumentality. The cause of action most frequently arises where one person allows another to drive their automobile."

kIdMuScLe

Oct 27, 2017
Los angeles
It would mean the car launches forward. The kid probably had his foot on the gas if he didn't realize the car had a clutch and when he disengaged it, the car launched forward.

No, what probably happened is that whoever parked it left it in gear and never bother to tell anyone about it. So when you start the car and let go of the clutch the car jumps forward. Is a really stupid habit because are usually flat and you only park it in gear is if in your on a steep hill.

I hate it that shit when the mechanic would bring my car and park it in gear. Is like is only gonna take me 5 seconds to get into the car my friend why you gotta do that?! We ain't in no hills buddy

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No, what probably happened is that whoever parked it left it in gear and never bother to tell anyone about it. So when you start the car and let go of the clutch the car jumps forward. Is a really stupid habit because are usually flat and you only park it in gear is if in your on a steep hill.

I hate it that shit when the mechanic would bring my car and park it in gear. Is like is only gonna take me 5 seconds to get into the car my friend why you gotta do that?! We ain't in no hills buddy

I always park my car in gear and I haven't stalled at/near startup in thirty years of driving, not even while learning. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I always park my car in gear and I haven't stalled at/near startup in thirty years of driving, not even while learning. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The mechanic who was "driving" was a 19 year-old. I would be suprised if more than a couple percent of people their age know how to drive a stick in the U.S. It's hard to even find a new manual car to buy these days. If they were surprised that the car jumped when they released the clutch then uh...it shows a pretty basic lack of understanding and experience because they didn't check to see if it was in gear first. That's like stickshift 101.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Beside the legal case, a reminder that there's like ≈ 5000 workers who dies every year in the USA. The rate is rather high on the international scale. That's a thing to keep in mind when rich conservatives praise blue collars but not their working conditions.

Oct 27, 2017

What a ridiculous thing to complain about.

If you drive stick and are aware of what you're doing you will always make sure to put the car back in neutral if you want to release the clutch and not go anywhere. Nobody should have to tell you they left your car in gear. You should check the stick and verify that it is not.

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
What a ridiculous thing to complain about.

If you drive stick and are aware of what you're doing you will always make sure to put the car back in neutral if you want to release the clutch and not go anywhere. Nobody should have to tell you they left your car in gear. You should check the stick and verify that it is not.

Yup, I always park my car in gear out of habit and safety.
Also some cars you need to push the clutch for it to even start (09 Mustangs for example).

Always seeing people who don't, in car parks where they assume it's level (I assume it would be as well in a multi-story) but see their vehicles unoccupied and has rolled out of the parking spot. Don't need much gradient for a vehicle to start rolling.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017

What is wrong with you if you're letting the clutch out without knowing if you're in neutral or not

That's on you

Catilio

Nov 7, 2017
wow.

a law that protects and employer even when they were negligent. That's so wrong in so many levels

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
A lot of people blaming the plaintiff attorney here when all he's doing is properly advocating for his client. Blame the laws, not the lawyer.

I'm a former claims adjuster who's dealt with both employer liability claims and vehicle fatality claims. Employer liability is what covers cases like this, when Workers Comp is limited in the restitution it can make to the victims family, and there's clear negligence on behalf of the employer (in hiring someone who wasnt capable of doing the job safely and didn't have a license). Sadly, in many states employer liability is extremely limited. I don't know the statute in Michigan off hand, but it wouldn't surprise me if it left the employee no recourse in suing the boss.

Now as far as the vehicle owner is concerned, keep in mind that when suits are filed like this, generally speaking anyone who may have contributed to the negligence is involved as well as as any party whose insurance coverage might be triggered. Car insurance is tied to the *vehicle* not the *driver*, so that coverage is triggered regardless of who was behind the wheel. HOWEVER, as others have pointed out, that insurer will immediately seek indemnification from the business to which the owner passed over care, custody, and control of his vehicle. This happens all the time in suits like this. It's extremely common. I don't know about the particulars of that indemnity, but it seems like it would be fairly cut and dried.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
What a vile family, hopefully they get absolutely nothing and end up on the streets through legal bills.

Family did absolutely nothing wrong here, neither did their attorney. Take a couple minutes to read the additional articles before dropping the hot take.

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017

I think that'd be an ex post facto law. The law as it stands needs revision for sure.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
According to Langton, it would be the same if you took your car to a restaurant with a valet and you handed the keys over. Under state law, if the valet driver injures someone with your car, you are responsible.
That's ridiculous.

So if you want to become a murderer, get a job as a valet and you can just start running over people and be like, "Not my car, not my problem"?

No, Lionel Hutz, that's not how it works.

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017
This is an insane law/lawsuit.

In my experience in Europe, if you take your car to a dealership and they damage your car, another vehicle, property or cause injury/death, then the dealership is liable for everything.

I left my car with a dealership to have some work done. My car was modified. It sat pretty low and had non OEM body work. They subsequently damaged my car and but paid for all repairs, zero push back or questions, because the damage was caused while in their care.

My sister also left her car at a different dealership, the car was incorrectly secured and raised on a car lift. The car fell off, landed upside down and on to it's roof. The dealer is liable for not having qualified staff. They did say the technician was new but still replaced the car.

If that falling car had killed someone, the dealer would be getting sued/facing prosecution, not the vehicle owner. It's crazy to me that this is a real thing. The second you had the keys over to the dealership, the vehicle is in their care. Your car would be under the dealership's insurance at that stage. The same way any courtesy/loaner car they give you, would be in your care, most likely under your insurance and you would be liable for any damage.

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Family did absolutely nothing wrong here, neither did their attorney. Take a couple minutes to read the additional articles before dropping the hot take.
Ok I get the family maybe aren't to blame but then why can't the attorney just, not sue? I'm trying to find the actual wording of the law that says someone has to be sued.

LTWheels

Nov 8, 2017
As an Injury lawyer in UK, I'm flabbergasted at the law over not being able to sue your employer for negligence.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
You don't HAVE to sue people. Yes it's a stupid law, but it's also stupid to take advantage of a stupid law to punish someone who isn't responsible.

Yes I get that the guy who died had a family, but it shouldn't be an innocent car owners responsibility to pay for their expenses, even if there's a stupid legal loophole about it, and it's still a mess up thing to do.

Last edited:

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit! Never work/live in Michigan is my main takeaway from this. I couldn't imagine not being able to sue my boss for negligence

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad this indemnity law exists in this case and that the Jeep owner was able to win.
But this means the owner still has to defend themselves in court, and their defense lawyer will still try to win the case. Yet I imagine the owner won't want to win the case (I wouldn't, I would WANT to lose so the dealership would have to pay), so the goal of the owner and their defense lawyer are at odds.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
I might be especially dense, but I dont get the reasoning for this:

That doesnt make sense, why wouldnt you sue your boss if he has been negligent and is the reason for your injury?

Sounds like the kind of anti-labor law that a capitalist would write so they can offer dangerous working conditions without any kind of restrictions. Prove me wrong, legal-ERA.

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
As an Injury lawyer in UK, I'm flabbergasted at the law over not being able to sue your employer for negligence.

Detroit was/kinda is the hub of automobile manufacturing in the US for years. Detroit in general was a huge industrial city for much of America's brief history. The stupidity of our country is that states are mini-countries legislatively, so it's entirely plausible that the auto lobby used their leverage as an economic hub of Michigan to get these laws on the books.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
You should honestly get into some kind of legal trouble for dumb ass fucking lawsuits like this. I feel for the families loss but come on now.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Michigan's turn to be the laughingstock state I suppose despite the fact they're supposed to be the car experts

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
"When you hand your car over to anybody including the valet or the person at the service desk at your local dealership, you better be able to trust that person," the attorney said.
If a car dealership can't be trusted to safely operate vehicles, then they should not legally be allowed to sell or service them to begin with. Libertarian nonsense.

The mechanic who was "driving" was a 19 year-old. I would be suprised if more than a couple percent of people their age know how to drive a stick in the U.S. It's hard to even find a new manual car to buy these days. If they were surprised that the car jumped when they released the clutch then uh...it shows a pretty basic lack of understanding and experience because they didn't check to see if it was in gear first. That's like stickshift 101.
The 19-year-old didn't have a driver's license, anyway.