• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 15, 2021
It would be so bad if he didn't already have a similar incident with the former Maryland coach last year.

Once shame on you.

Twice shame on me.

Gotta fire him. Makes the university look like a complete joke if he can do this twice and still stay on.

tmac456

May 27, 2020
Howard ain't getting fired.

And honestly if Gard gets suspended it's a joke but I wouldn't be surprised.

Giant Panda

Oct 25, 2017
He should absolutely be fired. He's displayed a pattern now between the incident at Maryland last year and this.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I don't think he's getting fired.

Unless he avoids a public apology. But UMich will force him to do an apology.

Oct 28, 2017
as a kid I loved the fab 5 and really looked up to juwan. I vividly remember meeting him at slamma jamma camp and talking with him briefly. seemed like a nice guy and i'm sure he probably is, but clearly he has an anger problem that's really not a good look as a coach. I really hate "un-written rules" in sports. it's most annoying and obvious in baseball, but all sports have their stupid shit that people try to maintain and police themselves. it's so silly

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
It should be more than an apology. That was pathetic and if fired I am sure Howard just voided any obligations UM had that would pay him out. What a dumb move.
I agree. I was just hearing some analysis reading the Jordan brand. Michigan is a Jordan school and Juwan is a Jordan guy too. I'm sure they will make him do that plus take some anger management classe

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017

Wisconsin's coach put hands on him first, it looks like.

Saw this in the replies and thought it added good context.

It's not like they hadn't had pleasant physical interactions before.

Honestly didn't have a lot of problems with it until Howard lashed out physically. Grown men yelling at each other is just sports.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Seems fair. I'm guessing Wisconsin will give Gard a one game suspension for the heinous crime of daring to touch an arm in a handshake line, and we'll see if the NCAA suspends the players.

Suspended and fined

Everyday Math

Oct 25, 2017

University of Michigan
  • Head Coach Juwan Howard
    • Coaching Suspension: Five games (remainder of the regular season)
    • Fine: $40,000.00
  • Student-Athlete Terrance Williams II
    • Suspension: One game (effective immediately)
  • Student-Athlete Moussa Diabate
University of Wisconsin
  • Head Coach Greg Gard
    • Fine: $10,000.00
  • Student-Athlete Jahcobi Neath

Dark Mantonio

Nov 1, 2017
Ah, the ol' after hours news dump. The cowardice of the Big Ten knows no bounds.

A fairly tepid punishment, but I like it because it gives Howard another opportunity to make UM look foolish.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Slap on the wrist. He should be terminated.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.

Wisconsin's coach put hands on him first, it looks like.

665i9s-1.jpg

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
The Wisconsin coach put hands on him first? Uh... yeah shaking his hand IN THE HANDSHAKE LINE. Juwan grabbed his shirt first which started it. Not sure what some of yall are looking at.

Both coached violated "unwritten rules" which are bullshit to start with. Michigan playing their starters and running a full court press with 19 seconds to go and Wisconsin calling a timeout to not get a back court violation while playing their subs.

Unwritten rules are stupid and if they were meant to be rules then they would actually be written.

Oct 15, 2021
The Wisconsin coach put hands on him first? Uh... yeah shaking his hand IN THE HANDSHAKE LINE. Juwan grabbed his shirt first which started it. Not sure what some of yall are looking at.

Both coached violated "unwritten rules" which are bullshit to start with. Michigan playing their starters and running a full court press with 19 seconds to go and Wisconsin calling a timeout to not get a back court violation while playing their subs.

Unwritten rules are stupid and if they were meant to be rules then they would actually be written.

Juwan Howard was going to walk by without shaking hands and Gard pulled him back. If Gard simply allows Juwan to walk by and doesn't put his hands on Juwan to impede his walk by, none of this happens.

Dark Mantonio

Nov 1, 2017
Juwan Howard was going to walk by without shaking hands and Gard pulled him back. If Gard simply allows Juwan to walk by and doesn't put his hands on Juwan to impede his walk by, none of this happens.

Why be in the handshake line at all if you're not going to engage? Why deliver a drive-by threat to Gard?

The answer is Howard was looking for trouble. The perceived slights in his mind and the actions they caused are all on him.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Wish I was more surprised by how many folks on Twitter or even here are defending Howard because Gard "put his hands on him." As if that very gentle attempt to initiate a handshake and conversation at all justifies a violent response. It's alarming to imagine how many people are just one perceived violation of their personal space from a violent assault.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
He sought him out, probably to explain and apologize and make sure things were good between them. Which is how an adult leading and mentoring young people leads by example.

Juwan escalated a situation that didn't need to be escalated and showed his lack of leadership by letting his emotions get the best of him.

That's clownshoes full stop

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
At least we know now crashing the ADs wifes car and lying to cops about it and punching someone gets you the same punishment.
Wish I was more surprised by how many folks on Twitter or even here are defending Howard because Gard "put his hands on him." As if that very gentle attempt to initiate a handshake and conversation at all justifies a violent response. It's alarming to imagine how many people are just one perceived violation of their personal space from a violent assault.

The blue wall has no floor.

RR30

Oct 22, 2018
He sought him out, probably to explain and apologize and make sure things were good between them. Which is how an adult leading and mentoring young people leads by example.

Juwan escalated a situation that didn't need to be escalated and showed his lack of leadership by letting his emotions get the best of him.

That's clownshoes full stop

Howard is 100% at fault and deserved his suspension, but handwaving away Gard's part in it is stupid. He started the confrontation that Howard escalated out of control.

Oct 15, 2021
Why be in the handshake line at all if you're not going to engage? Why deliver a drive-by threat to Gard?

The answer is Howard was looking for trouble. The perceived slights in his mind and the actions they caused are all on him.

Juwan did shake some of the players hands. It was Gard who lost his cool and decided to jerk juwan back as juwan attempted to walk by. Gard also lost his cool, he should have simply let juwan walk by but he was offended by the lack of handshake and that is why Gard impeded juwan from walking past.

In essence, Gard caused the entire incident to happen because his fragile ego couldnt take a black man walking past and not shaking his hand. How dare Juwan. He should "know his place".

People giving Gard a complete pass here are something else.

Dark Mantonio

Nov 1, 2017
Juwan did shake some of the players hands. It was Gard who lost his cool and decided to jerk juwan back as juwan attempted to walk by. Gard also lost his cool, he should have simply let juwan walk by but he was offended by the lack of handshake and that is why Gard impeded juwan from walking past.

In essence, Gard caused the entire incident to happen because his fragile ego couldnt take a black man walking past and not shaking his hand. How dare Juwan. He should "know his place".

People giving Gard a complete pass here are something else.

I think you missed the part where Juwan lowered his mask and threatened Gard ("I'll remember that"). The incident wasn't caused by the lack of a handshake, it was Howard's snipe at Gard.

It always takes two to tango but the evidence is mounting that Howard cannot control his emotions.

Oct 15, 2021
I think you missed the part where Juwan lowered his mask and threatened Gard ("I'll remember that"). The incident wasn't caused by the lack of a handshake, it was Howard's snipe at Gard.

It always takes two to tango but the evidence is mounting that Howard cannot control his emotions.

I'm not saying juwan is without fault, as you stated it takes two to tango.

But "I'll remember that" being taken as a threat..a threat of what exactly? That juwan will run up the score next time they play? It certainly does not justify putting your hands on a grown man.

Juwan is not Gard's student athlete that needs to be "taught a lesson"

If I was Gard here, I would have just laughed off the words and not put my hands on Juwan. There is a reason Gard was also punished and fined.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Fair punishment, IMO.

Wisconsin couch clearly forced back Howard's right arm with no provocation to start the whole physical incident. Go try doing this to anyone. See what result you get?

Wisconsin is Russia. Howard is Ukraine.

This is..... a really dumb post on multiple levels, haha. Basketball/sports/coaches aside

Dark Mantonio

Nov 1, 2017
I'm not saying juwan is without fault, as you stated it takes two to tango.

But "I'll remember that" being taken as a threat..a threat of what exactly? That juwan will run up the score next time they play? It certainly does not justify putting your hands on a grown man.

Juwan is not Gard's student athlete that needs to be "taught a lesson"

If I was Gard here, I would have just laughed off the words and not put my hands on Juwan. There is a reason Gard was also punished and fined.

In any context "I'll remember that" is a threat. Of what exactly depends on the person saying it. Note that Juwan Howard has literally threatened to kill another Big Ten coach in the past.

As for putting hands on a grown man, it's a handshake line. The whole purpose of the line is physical contact.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
In any context "I'll remember that" is a threat. Of what exactly depends on the person saying it. Note that Juwan Howard has literally threatened to kill another Big Ten coach in the past.

As for putting hands on a grown man, it's a handshake line. The whole purpose of the line is physical contact.

Lol you better not play any walking dead games or you might end up attacking your tv