• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Rahman Legends is still one of my favourite ever gaming experiences on coop on the WiiU. Huge loss to the industry and he always seemed like an absolute gent. Hope his wildlife stuff is fulfilling and wish him all the best.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
I was worried this was going to be related to Ubisoft cleaning house with their internal harassment and bullying problem, but I guess there's no smoke as far as I can tell.

He'll be missed. BGE and Rayman 2 are some of my favourite games.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, thats a young retiree. He still has so much more left in him, but i respect his decision. Live life doing what you love.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was already skeptical about BG&E2 but now I really don't have much hope in it. Also RIP hopes of a proper 3D Rayman.

Either way, peace out to a legend who defined my childhood. Wherever life leads him, I hope it treats him well.

Arynio

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
As a geneticist and conservationist myself, I totally understand and applaud this decision. We'll be needing lots of people making this kind of strong pro-nature movements in the near future to try to soften the consequences of climate change, habitat degradation, etc.

I wish him the best!

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
good luck to him, he's a legend and an icon

edit: i hope someone else at ubi is interested in making a new rayman game (2D or 3D), or maybe doing a remake of rayman 2.

Zampano

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2017
Amazing news, glad his brilliant brain is going to be applied to something really worthwhile that will make a difference.

RoseBleue

Aug 23, 2020
wow, that was unexpected since he was working on these 2 big projects

we'll see how they turn out. he seems to be confident they can go further without him

LazerRanger

Oct 28, 2017
Happy for him but sad for gaming.

Really loved Rayman Origins and Legends, sure the rest of the team was also really talented but he always felt like a really unique figure in gaming.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
True legend, big loss for the industry. Obviously the father of Rayman, the Rabbids and Beyond Good and Evil, but also played a major role in the development of Tonic Trouble and Peter Jackson's King Kong, which I also really enjoyed. Plus a super likable guy in general. Wish him all the best with his future endeavors.

Byvar

Oct 26, 2017
Good for Ancel, I wish him the best.

The Rayman series and Beyond Good & Evil are both very special to me. I hope they will continue, albeit without him. I'm still looking forward to WiLD too.
For Rayman, I think it actually has a higher chance of being revived now, since Ubisoft cancelled multiple Rayman projects in the past because Ancel wanted control over the franchise.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Understandable if true. It must be difficult for someone with an artistic bent to stay interested in making games at this point in time. This does not seem to be an industry that really thrives on individuality and creativity.

I wish him the best. BG&E and several Rayman games are absolute classics.

Net_Wrecker

Oct 25, 2017
The industry is worse off without him. It's too bad Ubisoft went away from his brand of weird IP, but his legacy was solidified long ago anyway. This surely spells doom for BG&E even if 2 ever releases, but I do hope we'll see another high quality 3D Rayman game in our lifetimes.

Zenkuso

Jan 28, 2019
Damn I would have loved to work with him one day on a title, but damn if I don't know the feeling of pursuing a passion.

Godspeed Ancel, but chase the dream.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Ah man, I am happy he is pursuing his passion, but this is a loss for the industry.

I was hoping for a new Rayman entry. Legends and Origins are two of the best in the genre.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
Hopefully Ubisoft respect and retain some of his creative DNA... I wonder if he has a non-compete clause if he ever decided to return to games?

Got to appreciate the man's reasons... he's got something in the real physical world he wants to do and give to other people, its a good dream. Maybe life's too short to slave away making digital playthings your entire life.. especially when you have other interests.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Wonderful for him but a huge loss. Truly one of my favourite creative minds in games.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Good timing, considering all the shit going down at the moment at Ubisoft.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Good luck Mr. Ancel! You've done great stuff!

RIP Rayman

another of the old guard falls

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Oo, I missed this thread in the news about BG&E2. This really sucks. I do wonder what impact the MeToo with Ubisoft had on his decision to do this.

Here's hoping he wasn't one of the bad eggs, there. To me, he is still an awesome, open-minded creator.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Good luck to his new venture, more wild than WILD you could say

Loved Ancel's Rayman work, while a shame that I won't get more under his guidance I wasn't really expecting to

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
2020 is just WILD man!

Congrats Michel, you're definitely part of gaming history.