• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Now this is actually somewhat funny while also being terrible. See how easy it is so still be a shocking comedian without being a bigoted asshole?

The problem is that the joke was not "rudy juliani is the 9/11 of mayors" it is more like

"so it is like rudy juliani is like the 9/11 of mayors ... you know because he is a mayor ... and he was on 9/11 ... a thing where your friends died, isn't that funny?"

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I actually like Colin and Che's Weekend Update for the most part, but the best bits are usually when they bring other people on, like Aidy doing her middle school critic shtick or Pete talking about...anything.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
The problem is that the joke was not "rudy juliani is the 9/11 of mayors" it is more like

"so it is like rudy juliani is like the 9/11 of mayors ... you know because he is a mayor ... and he was on 9/11 ... a thing where your friends died, isn't that funny?"
Lol is that actually similar to how they said it

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, should've stopped at old white lady. Everything past that killed the joke, both in pacing and content

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it really considered deadnaming to mention the fact that someone used to go by a different name? That's not the same as referring to them by that name now.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Wasn't even remotely funny. I think it could have been funnier without even mentioning Jenner.

Although I do want to ask just for my own knowledge. The Blake Griffin roasting Jenner clip that went viral last month, his jokes were borderline troublesome as well, right?

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it really considered deadnaming to mention the fact that someone used to go by a different name? That's not the same as referring to them by that name now.

Yes, that is still considered deadnaming. There are very few situations where it's ever necessary to do that kind of thing, as it's not like if he said Caitlyn Jenner people would be confused at who he's talking about.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
jesus that joke went into a tailspin SO quickly

also this thread is the first i'm hearing of michael che being an asshole, am i missing something?
Their jokes vary between hit and "missed so hard the ball went past the umpire and hit an old person in the crowd" and it earns them a lot of criticism

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I may be mistaken but I was under the impression that "deadnaming" someone required using a previous name to intentionally refer to that person in the present tense. To me, the joke read as Che acknowledging the previous name albeit with little taste (hence why the audience bombed it).

EDIT:
Yes, that is still considered deadnaming. There are very few situations where it's ever necessary to do that kind of thing, as it's not like if he said Caitlyn Jenner people would be confused at who he's talking about.
I learned something new today, thanks you.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yes, it's not relevant to bring up someone's past (especially solely as a joke) and most trans people today consider it offensive.

Nice avatar

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand the logic of the joke here... Kanye sounds like he's becoming an old white woman. Got it. But how Caitlyn Jenner's transition related? Is there something about Calabasas that plays into it? Or is it just: Kanye sounds like he's becoming an old white woman. You might think that's crazy, but look, this person also became an old white woman? Is that it??

I'm assuming Che is making a reference to the Kardashians, and that Caitlyn was married to Kris, and Kanye is married to Kim. So I think the "joke" is that they are "turning" another man into a white woman. It's actually offensive in multiple ways.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Just watched the video. Correct me if I'm wrong but, Michael says something like, "5 years ago there was a fella named Bruce Jenner". Wouldn't he be correct in naming what Caitlyn Jenner was called 5 years ago? Am I misunderstanding?

Also, the joke itself was just terrible.

No you don't use assigned at birth pronouns and shit and you don't use dead names.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
its like he got bored halfway through writing this tired Kanye joke they've probably made 50 times now and decided to end it with a wet fart

TheRightDeal

Oct 27, 2017
Their weekend update is normally alright, watching this one live felt weird. Not only do you have the shitty joke this thread is about, but they also decided to go pretty hard on Bernie for whatever reason and the audience was not into it at all.

Edit: Yeah, the clip in the OP is definitely edited to downplay the reaction.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

I love wikipedia guidelines on this

Any person whose gender might be questioned should be referred to by the pronouns, possessive adjectives, and gendered nouns (for example "man/woman", "waiter/waitress", "chairman/chairwoman") that reflect that person's latest expressed gender self-identification. This applies in references to any phase of that person's life, unless the subject has indicated a preference otherwise. Avoid confusing constructions (Jane Doe fathered a child) by rewriting (e.g., Jane Doe became a parent). Direct quotations may need to be handled as exceptions (in some cases adjusting the portion used may reduce apparent contradictions, and "[sic]" may be used where necessary). MOS:MULTIPLENAMES calls for mentioning the former name of a transgender person if they were notable under that name. In other respects, the MoS does not specify when and how to mention former names, or whether to give the former or current name first.

Mr Satan

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Excusing Transphobia
Don't have a problem with these jokes tbh. Kinda tame.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I dont believe the cia has sci fi articial human creation conspiracy tech
But if they did Colin jost and micheal Che would be their creations.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Joke was in poor taste. The parallel was that Kayne is turning into an old white lady and moved to Calabassas which is where Jenner an old white lady lives as well as do a ton of elderly celebs in the LA area.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
I have this episode recorded and haven't watched it yet. This is poor form for Che... he's better than this.

I did NOT know that. Thanks.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
It's not the first time Che is being a complete insensitive insulting prick, and I suppose it's not gonna be the last time. He was out there defending the hell out of Louis CK during the #MeToo movement, showed his true colors then, never trusted him nor liked him since, so color me: absolutely not surprised.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Now this is actually somewhat funny while also being terrible. See how easy it is so still be a shocking comedian without being a bigoted asshole?

100% this. It's not comedy or a more tightly-wound society that's the problem; it's old-fashioned, conservative bigots. So many great comedians and comedy writers in the world, it's time to brush away the dead wood.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah that was not cool for a whole bunch of reasons already touched on here, but I'm not even sure what the joke was meant to be? Kanye might transition, because...transgender people are a thing?

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that was not cool for a whole bunch of reasons already touched on here, but I'm not even sure what the joke was meant to be? Kanye might transition, because...transgender people are a thing?

Transgender people existing was literally the punchline. Just god awful all around.

Oct 25, 2017
Rewatched Office and the amount of anti lgbt and racism stuff was stomach turning... ugh
Not to undermine if it legit made you uncomfortable, but I always thought the real joke was Michael's (and sometimes Kevin's) ignorance regarding race/lgbq, and not that they were punching down directly. But again, I get if it still causes discomfort.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

it think that the joke is the kardashians transform black people into old white women

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I'm unsure what this has to do with his transphobic remarks though? As an initial response to the story at least.

Trans people are normal cool people too, that can also be weird and insecure at times. I'd hope we'd get the same buff in charisma for having those attributes in negotiations?

e: Like, I trust you know this so it just seems like such an odd response to someone espousing some disgusting shit to say "oh but look at his insta, such a cool guy".
I was being sarcastic, che sucks and he proves that routinely

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I'm unsure what this has to do with his transphobic remarks though? As an initial response to the story at least.

Trans people are normal cool people too, that can also be weird and insecure at times. I'd hope we'd get the same buff in charisma for having those attributes in negotiations?

e: Like, I trust you know this so it just seems like such an odd response to someone espousing some disgusting shit to say "oh but look at his insta, such a cool guy".

He was being sarcastic writing this, because I remember reading some of Che's stories on IG during #MeToo, and he is anything BUT a cool guy. He's super aggressive, seems to be looking for fights, is prone to rage fits and tantrums, and has the emotional intelligence and empathy of a rock.

Last edited:

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
The fuck? This dude is laughing at his own unfunny "jokes." And the audience laughter is so awkward — like they're flipping on/off a 'LAUGH NOW' sign with a switch or it's straight up fake. And SNL hasn't been funny for a long time so I guess they're going for shock value to get viewers now.

Fuck everyone involved in this trash.

You guessed it: Frank Stallone.

frankstallone560.jpg

This I can get behind. Norm was GOAT.

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not to undermine if it legit made you uncomfortable, but I always thought the real joke was Michael's (and sometimes Kevin's) ignorance regarding race/lgbq, and not that they were punching down directly. But again, I get if it still causes discomfort.

Arguments can be made about how Michael Scott is supposed to highlight how unlikable and unfunny these kinds of people are... but at a certain point making these jokes is still making these jokes and the punchline only seems to be punching down

Kevin has almost no redeemable scenes to him

The joke is that he is fat and has learning disabilities and somehow makes it as an accountant

Its just not a show for me anymore

Djkhaled

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not surprising, he is one of the reasons that Shane Gillis was hired, he knows him from that horrific group that's name is slipping my mind, their whole shtick is doing comedy like this and Che is a part of it, they're the people that brought back Louis CK. It's some weird alt-right/lite place that is like edgy 4channers doing standup.

EDIT: It's Legion of Skanks, check their subreddit for disturbing shit https://www.reddit.com/r/LegionOfSkanks/