• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Michael Moore has stated on Facebook that he would join a "nonviolent mass uprising and revolt" of U.S. federal employees:

‪What would a nonviolent mass uprising and revolt by 800,000 federal workers look like? Sit-ins. Takeover buildings. Shut down all air travel. A human "wall" around the White House. Hound Mitch McConnell so that he has no sleep, no lunches with lobbyists. Refuse to show up for work that you're not being paid for. Local rallies in front of federal buildings all over the country. I'd join that!‬ Wouldn't you?

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
If a mass of non-federal employees helped out, that'd be great.

Otherwise, federal employees are already scared of retaliation/being fired just for talking about going to food banks.

And the federal civil service is not a monolith. It'd end up targeting everyone.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
It's easy for a rich guy to say he would join this but much harder for the hundreds of thousands of federal employees that need to feed their families. Obviously it's a nice idea but unfortunately it's just not realistic.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's easy for a rich guy to say he would join this but much harder for the hundreds of thousands of federal employees that need to feed their families. Obviously it's a nice idea but unfortunately it's just not realistic.

What worse thing could happen? These employees are going a month without pay and many of them have stipulations in their job agreements preventing them from taking other jobs while being under federal employ. It's easier to sit here in front of our keyboards and judge someone like Moore who is using his platform to try and offer help than actually try and do it ourselves.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Disgraceful that Federal employees need be afraid of protesting and in many cases barred from it. Workers rights is such a joke in this country.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

What exactly do they have to lose? They haven't been paid in a month. Many of them have contracts that prevent them from seeking additional employment, so it's not like time spent protesting could be spent working elsewhere to provide for their families. There's no reason not to do this.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
The 1970 wildcat postal strike led to the Post Office Department being reorganized into the Postal Service, and is the only reason why I'm still getting paid during the shutdown.

With proper organization, strikes (even illegal ones) can work. Those workers beat the Nixon administration by grinding NYC to a halt, and it took all of eight days.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
What exactly do they have to lose? They haven't been paid in a month. Many of them have contracts that prevent them from seeking additional employment, so it's not like time spent protesting could be spent working elsewhere to provide for their families. There's no reason not to do this.

As far as I know if you aren't working additional employment restrictions aren't in effect for the duration of the furlough for most departments (as long as you don't violate ethics rules).

Those that are working without pay are screwed though. They can't stop showing up and work another job, they can be fired for doing that.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because I've been so accustomed to your old picture, I'm having a hard time adapting. :(

P.S. It was meant to be in jest. ;P

Oh ok.

Both my current picture and my previous picture is a picture of myself.

I changed my picture because I noticed the old one was of poor quality after the ERA upgrade so I used a selfie picture I took earlier this month as my current avatar picture.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
As far as I know if you aren't working additional employment restrictions aren't in effect for the duration of the furlough for most departments (as long as you don't violate ethics rules).

Those that are working without pay are screwed though. They can't stop showing up and work another job, they can be fired for doing that.

Fired from a job that can't afford to pay you?

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
I would join any mass protest that happens. I'm not confident one would happen, but shit it'd be the first time the American people have surprised me when push comes to shove

InspectaDekka

Banned
Jan 4, 2019
Knowing that piece of shit Moore this is all to build image and cred.

Still, revolt my American brothers and sisters.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Protests are hard and you should be aware now that if ALL THE SHIT that happened in the last 2 1/2 years didn't motivate the US population to stage mass protests on a daily basis, then nothing ever will.

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017

I completely agree. Why is the headline that he'd join? Who cares if he joins?

I think it'd be great if the uprising happened though.

Jul 3, 2018
In sure he'd love to get some material for a new documentary... If he really wanted to help, he would donate some of his millions to federal workers.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Moore's a smug hollywood liberal filmmaker that was actually right about Trump in 2016?

I dunno!

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I'm down, the only way shit is going to change is if enough people are (at least) inconvenienced.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
This needs to happen and the protests against Park in SK should he used as an example.

The argument that everyone is afraid for their jobs falls flat when you already have hundreds of thousands of people not getting paid, except on Trump's goddamn terms instead of their own.

I am also a hyprocrite who left the country a decade ago, and never plan to return at this point. Where did all this glass come from?!