• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Black people are not a part of the Democratic party? The primary and super tuesday are one of the big times our voices get heard, and the majority of black people live in the south. They should matter less because they can't turn a state blue by themselves?

So we've moved from twisting Moore's words and making up quotes to paint him as some racist monster, to doing the exact same with posters here taking issue with it. Absolutely wonderful.

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea what happened in 2018 (not American). I only know that when push comes to shove, I totally lost my faith in humans doing what's best for them.

"I heard Steve Bannon lay out his blueprint of how they think they're going to win on Tuesday and they think they're gonna keep the House by one seat. And anybody who doesn't trust that, please remember that Donald Trump outsmarted us. He outsmarted us in 2016 and won the White House by losing the election. That takes a certain kind of evil genius to figure that out." - Michael Moore

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
From the same guy that said black people didn't make up real America. Fuck off piece of shit
I don't think he meant that at all. You have to look at his history of views before calling him a racist.

Here is the video: https://youtu.be/UTpiErChZuQ?t=64

He clearly intended to say that voters across the country will not vote in the same proportion as the ones in SC. Whether he knows the demographics of SC or not - I don't know because he does say people of color will be among those that decide the election.

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
Despite Michael Moore's personal beliefs or ideas, I wouldn't be surprised if Trump would still manage to win despite all odds. I thought Trump would easily lose in 2016 and that the Brexit wouldn't stand a chance and from that experience I've learned to expect the worst.

The polls for 2016 and Brexit were a lot closer than now. I think Moore is right that the Trump votes are always undercounted but that isn't enough to overcome the Biden lead.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
So is Moore just assuming that pollsters haven't accounted for the discrepancies in 2016 or is he just throwing this out there on the offchance that Trump wins? At which point he gets to be "right" again.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
Not really sure how you describe a situation as "always" when Trump ran (or tried to run) for office multiple times, only got through while running against the most unpopular woman on the planet and then got his back blown out during the midterms.

How does that equate to "always"?

WishIwasAwolf

Banned
Oct 24, 2020
Not really sure how you describe a situation as "always" when Trump ran (or tried to run) for office multiple times, only got through while running against the most unpopular woman on the planet and then got his back blown out during the midterms.

How does that equate to "always"?

Who is this most unpopular woman on the planet?

daschysta

Mar 24, 2019
Black people are not a part of the Democratic party? The primary and super tuesday are one of the big times our voices get heard, and the majority of black people live in the south. They should matter less because they can't turn a state blue by themselves?
Pretty sure noone has said that. Of course its voice matters like every other state, but its also older and more conservative than most other states, including many of those with a high african american population. They said the south carolina democratic electorate is not representative of the democratic party as a whole, which is an objectively true statement, and it's perfectly reasonable that they shouldn't be anymore of a kingmaking state than Iowa or New Hampshire which are also unrepresentative. Being able to Win SC is no more predictive than being able to win any number of other states, and yet it is treated as such. There are 45 states more in line with the Democratic electorate than South Carolina.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Pretty sure noone has said that. Of course its voice matters like every other state, but its also older and more conservative than most other states, including many of those with a high african american population. They said the south carolina democratic electorate is not representative of the democratic party as a whole, which is an objectively true statement, and it's perfectly reasonable that they shouldn't be anymore of a kingmaking state than Iowa or New Hampshire which are also unrepresentative. Being able to Win SC is no more predictive than being able to win any number of other states, and yet it is treated as such. There are 45 states more in line with the Democratic electorate than South Carolina.

This is not our first rodeo.

We know what he truly meant because this sidestepping is something progressive white men love to do.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
People talking about the polls as if the pollsters haven't been augmenting their methods -- particularly aggregate sites like 538 -- haven't been listening and don't want to listen.

That said, if this is just a last gasp of "please please please vote" then fine.

daschysta

Mar 24, 2019
This is not our first rodeo.

We know what he truly meant because this sidestepping is something progressive white men love to do.
Doesn't change the fact that we would be better off starting with Illinois or any number of other states as opposed to SC Iowa or New Hampshire. I dont know his motivations but this is simply true. You cannot make the argument that SC is somehow representative as a whole of the Democratoc electorate. It isn't. If you have some other reason as to why SC should be a kingmaker, fine, but it isn't because it represents the full diversity of the Democratic party, or that it mirrors the democratic electorate, because it doesn't.

Gio

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manila
It's unbelievable how posters in this thread twisted Michael's words to make it sound like he thinks black people shouldn't vote.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm just shocked at people painting Moore in a certain light. Unless there are actual quotes, I'm saying a lot of you are sus.

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
It's unbelievable how posters in this thread twisted Michael's words to make it sound like he thinks black people shouldn't vote.
To be fair to them they took someone else's interpretation and went with that. In other words hearsay. But they should have known better and verified it.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
he is right, it's going to be 2016 part 2.

I'm shocked at how people really are 100% certain this time is going to be different, looking at the other poll thread...

the shock and horror of millions is going to be really something in a couple of weeks, I'm afraid of it to be honest.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
he is right, it's going to be 2016 part 2.

I'm shocked at how people really are 100% certain this time is going to be different, looking at the other poll thread...

the shock and horror of millions is going to be really something in a couple of weeks, I'm afraid of it to be honest.
The election is in 4 days, and every sign points to a Biden win. Do you seriously think people are voting in record numbers to elect Trump to a 2nd term?

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
either way we are going to find out soon at least, what I know is that 2016 looked really safe for Hillary for a long time and then...
I really really hope that I'm terribly wrong, just like with time frame perception lol

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
either way we are going to find out soon at least, what I know is that 2016 looked really safe for Hillary for a long time and then...
I really really hope that I'm terribly wrong, just like with time frame perception lol

No. It didn't. If you believe that, you weren't reading the actual articles from sites about how numbers should actually be concerning for Clinton. And you weren't paying attention in 2018.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
Polling in 2016 was accurate if you account for their margin of error though. Iirc, around thai time Trump was at a near 40% chance to win and had to win in battleground states where Hillary was slightly ahead or near tied with him.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
jPGw7HO.png

We are in a much better situation this time than in 2016. Biden is not Hillary.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
I remember Trump clearly on a rise near the end of the campaign in 2016, but I also remember the shock of most people, so don't tell me it was expected to happen

it looks better now, no doubt... but... I'm just too pessimistic of a person I guess... oh well, soon.

RocketKiss

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
After decades of progressive outreach and making the public aware of the travesties happening in America, Michael Moore is now the enemy of ResetEra.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Even when there is a record turn out in pre-voting and all polls point to biden, you need to win a MASSIVE win here US people. Show that Trumpism isn't allowed.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't change the fact that we would be better off starting with Illinois or any number of other states as opposed to SC Iowa or New Hampshire. I dont know his motivations but this is simply true. You cannot make the argument that SC is somehow representative as a whole of the Democratoc electorate. It isn't. If you have some other reason as to why SC should be a kingmaker, fine, but it isn't because it represents the full diversity of the Democratic party, or that it mirrors the democratic electorate, because it doesn't.

I mean it's the first of the states that actually has a significant African American population , but it's also not a kingmaker. The warning signs in the primary were alarming for Bernie well before South Carolina since he once against mostly abandoned campaigning in the South and to older African Americans. His campaign was just running high on wins in mostly white areas and mostly caucus states.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I listed to a podcast recently on how of the 1. 4 mil of people with criminal conviction who gained the right to vote In florida again only 80k registered.

So it's a bit underwhelming

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
You realize he's saying people should go out and vote and not think everything is fine and don't vote right? Are you not going to vote now?
Moore is right that people should go out and vote but he's wrong about basically everything else in that article, so

1) There's no evidence of a "shy Trump voter effect" in the polls. This is an invention of republican pollsters.
2) Trump hasn't "significantly tightened" any of the swing state races. Moore cherry picks a single outlier high poll of +16 in MI in July and then compares it to the current RCP average of ~7 points to say Trump has closed the gap. Nonsense. If you look at the averages on 538 for Michigan, Biden briefly peaked at 10ish points ahead in the average and he's now down to a meager (/s) 8ish points ahead in the average. Biden has not dropped below a 6 point lead in MI since April and there's never been any significant tightening. This is the story of the entire race.

phCAyU5.png

I think the only place where you could make a "tightening" argument is in Florida, where there was a stretch over the summer where the polls suggested a 6ish point race but it's now closer to a reasonable Florida margin of 2.2 points. I don't think anyone should have expected a 6+ point presidential margin in Florida since the state is very inelastic and typically sees things in the <2 point range - 6 points would've been the biggest margin in like 30 years.

3)"Moore continued, "But I wake up every morning with the assumption that Trump believes he's going to win and that's good enough for me. If he thinks he's going to win, then I think he's going to win."

This is a pretty goofy assumption since it's pretty clear Trump thinks he will lose and that's why he cancelled his election night party, had a low-energy rally where he left after 20 mins, and spends the night ragetweeting at 3am about how the supreme court needs to steal the election for him.

Last edited:

RocketKiss

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Moore was absolutely right about Michigan in 2016. He was actually on the ground, seeing what was happening instead of worshipping the number, cumming if it goes up a decimal point on 538 or whatever you people doomwatch.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Moore was absolutely right about Michigan in 2016. He was actually on the ground, seeing what was happening instead of worshipping the number, cumming if it goes up a decimal point on 538 or whatever you people doomwatch.

You remind me of the people shitting on Bill James for years in baseball only to see the A's do what they did for years.

Moore was right about 2016 so he's right about everything about elections going forward. Let's see what he said about the 2018 midterms:

Like come on with this shit. People are scared, some hope is fine based on actual data.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Michael Moore does not say things based on empirical evidence.

If this gets even a few more people to vote, that's fine in a sense. But Moore is problematic.

National polls were right. State polls were wrong. You need to distinguish between the two and state polls are what actually matter with the Electoral College, as you said yourself.

Yawn. Tons of state polls were within the margin of error and the final polling never had time to reflect Comey's surprise.

2016 polling was not way off. An inconvenient truth, it is.

Thorakai

Oct 27, 2017
You gotta take some responsibility and do some due diligence to substantiate your claims if you are gonna pass them as truths. There are countless post-mortems about what happened in 2016 and work that has been looking into the very claims being made. You can make informed takes and highlight potential concerns using that information, but as it reads this doesn't seem to be based on anything beyond gut feelings. I can ask anyone in the street for their gut feelings on the election and I'd probably get about as insightful an answer as the one provided here.

greatgeek

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh, as repelled as I would be by Trump winning, I'll be as fascinated as to how when there doesn't seem to be a damn thing in his favor this time.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I always get a headache when people subscribe Trump winning the election because he is a evil genius or is special.
Nah fuck that the truth is he is a rich racist and the US loves their rich racists that they'll ignore the reality laid down in front of them. That's all.
He isn't an evil genius it's just you got 60 million absolute idiotic loons voting.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
*Voter turnout looking to be a once-in-a-century high*

Era: "DON'T GET COMPLACENT!"
That's a healthy attitude to have, though. Keep breaking records. Just ignore the polls (not saying they aren't right!) and keep voting. There's no downside to it, and can only lead to an even bigger turnout!

Why wouldn't you want Trump to lose badly? I'm from Sweden and a lot of my friends who haven't been following the election as closely as I have are echoing the same fears "I think Trump will win, I don't care what your polls are saying..." - I don't believe he will... Everything points to him losing and losing BIGLY!

But that inherent, almost irrational fear, fueled by Hillary's loss in 2016 is a good thing. It means people, as we've already seen, will go out in droves and vote, vote, vote! There wouldn't be this amount of recordbreaking turnout if it weren't for a certain amount of distrust in polls after 2016.

So it's not just an Era thing. But it's good nonetheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.