• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, ten years. I remember working at the grocer sit when I heard the news.

WingM@n

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Dismissing concerns surrounding allegations of child abuse, previous infraction for the same
Greatest artist of our times
A legend.
I dont care what some people say, I say innocent until proven guilty.

Rangerx

Oct 25, 2017
Dangleberry
How anyone can deny that he abused those kids is beyond me. It's absolutely fucked in the head to delude yourself because you liked his music.

Master Of Illusion

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 18, 2019
I can understand to many people they can separate the art from the artist, but I find it appalling in this scenario in all honesty considering he himself claims children as the inspiration and subject of his work and his attitude and treatment of them in his life.

Man that's too much to think about. I'mma just sit here impressed by how freakin' good this Van Halen riff sounds on vinyl (Thriller has to be one of the most immaculately pressed LPs ever mass produced. Not a single crackle/pop or instance of inner groove distortion on this almost 40 year-old heavily played slab of wax).

DanSensei

Nov 15, 2017
Great artist, I've always chalked up the bad stuff to mental illness. He really needed a stay in a mental hospital cause he did some terrible things.

Definitely should've done that in the 90s when the scandals were breaking and then had a comeback once he got well.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah tragic character. Never really liked his music much and i don't care for dancing but i was always hyped for the video-clips as a kid. They were something back then.
If he did what he was accused of i hope he rots in hell forever.

Spish!

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if in another ten years time the world will still be commemorating the day the world's most successful child rapist died from a drug overdose....

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Great artist, I've always chalked up the bad stuff to mental illness. He really needed a stay in a mental hospital cause he did some terrible things.
Definitely should've done that in the 90s when the scandals were breaking and then had a comeback once he got well.
Just so we're clear, the "bad stuff" we're referring to here is the abusing of children.

16bits

Apr 26, 2019
Its been a great way to unfollow people on twitter.

Everyone who celebrates this monster gets blocked.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
I used to like some of his songs but I can't listen to his music anymore without getting angry. Fuck Michael Jackson & all that defend him.

Freezeezy

Banned
Feb 23, 2018
User Banned (2 Weeks): Ignoring staff post and dismissing allegations of abuse; user in junior phase.

10 years, man. I actually got into his music after his death; I never gave him a chance prior to that, partly because he was the butt of so many jokes in my circles and his antics and accusations scared me away from his music.

Truly the King of Pop, man. Going from Don't Stop Till You Get Enough to Billie Jean to Beat It to Leave Me Alone to In the Closet to They Don't Care About Us to Scream.......and then even the lesser knowns like History. He could do everything.

Only misstep he ever made was Bubbles. All the other trash is either false/debunkable, but he really brought a damn monkey to the table for attention.
Unnecessesary really, lol.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
This thread is the first mention I've seen of the anniversary, and I'm glad that any news source I frequent isn't celebrating him.

Tangentially related: I listened to Madonna's new album last week and it has a song on where she lists deceased singers, and MJ was a glaring ommission.

Chimpzy

Dec 5, 2018
Sometimes it feels like the greater someone's artistic talent, the more proportionately monstruous they are as a person.

Jackson really was an astounding artist, and likewise a terrible and messed up man.

OP
OP
ThisThingIsUseful
Oct 31, 2017
I still haven't listened to his music since that documentary came out. Feels weird and wrong to do so.

I can still watch, say, Chris Benoit matches (WWE wrestler who murdered his family and then committed suicide) because I tell myself he hadn't crossed that line yet. But it feels so weird to know what he became and what he did. For MJ, I have an easier time listening to his music pre-accusations (so I guess before 1992ish?). So Dangerous and prior for me.

BTW, is an HBO free trial what I need to watch the documentary, or is it on other streaming services? I've been wanting to watch it in chunks.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Remember how everyone pretended to be really informed and insisted he wasn't a molester for a few years after he died? It was really weird

Sometimes it feels like the greater someone's artistic talent, the more proportionately monstruous they are as a person.

Jackson really was an astounding artist, and likewise a terrible and messed up man.

Celebrities and performers tend to be surrounded by a culture that isolates them from the real world. If someone has negative personality traits it can only exaggerate them.

They also tend to be supported by enablers and those who excuse their behavior. Because everyone is making easy money just by being around them.

When one considers Jackson's full history, which began as a child entertainer manipulated by a supposedly abusive and terrible father, the picture is one of an all-around trainwreck. The man didn't have anything remotely like a healthy and sane life.

This is not an excuse for his inappropriate behavior with children. But one must wonder how doomed Jackson was from the start.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I remember after he died I started to listen to alot of Jacson 5 stuff, and it got me thinking as I had my playlist running yesterday. We are never going to see a artist start off as a child and reach the heights he did ever again are we?

As a kid he just oozed talent, maybe that was the problem.

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
Man that's too much to think about. I'mma just sit here impressed by how freakin' good this Van Halen riff sounds on vinyl (Thriller has to be one of the most immaculately pressed LPs ever mass produced. Not a single crackle/pop or instance of inner groove distortion on this almost 40 year-old heavily played slab of wax).
Too much think about is a cop out in order to listen to stuff guilt free. I'm not going to tell you how to live your life but if you only view music via a surface level understanding or connection I guess it's possible. I can't ignore the actual meaning in music. Context matters to me in that sense

OP
OP
ThisThingIsUseful
Oct 31, 2017
Celebrities and performers tend to be surrounded by a culture that isolates them from the real world. If someone has negative personality traits it can only exaggerate them.

They also tend to be supported by enablers and those who excuse their behavior. Because everyone is making easy money just by being around them.

When one considers Jackson's full history, which began as a child entertainer manipulated by a supposedly abusive and terrible father, the picture is one of an all-around trainwreck. The man didn't have anything remotely like a healthy and sane life.

This is not an excuse for his inappropriate behavior with children. But one must wonder how doomed Jackson was from the start.

That's why it impresses me how normal as shit Paul McCartney seems. I liked him for a while, and then I saw him at the first March for our Lives and I'm like, "If I didn't like him enough already..."

airbagged_

Jan 21, 2019
Charleston, SC
Just gonna say.... while I really enjoyed his music, I've gone back to it less and less after coming to terms with the fact that he was a terrible person.

EDIT: While I do think he got piled on by people who were just trying to take advantage of the situation, I 100% believe he molested/abused children.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was a huge fan but after Leaving Neverland I've basically tossed out anything and everything related to MJ and I'm entirely done listening to his music.

gamerman

Oct 27, 2017
His good deeds don't erase his history of child abuse. Watch Leaving Neverland and tell me if he's still your idol. I'm sorry to hear about your facial burn and struggles, but the guy you idolize ruined the lives of children via mental, verbal and physical (sexual) abuse.

Hi Surfinn, I respect your opinion. I watched Leaving Neverland and aside from the huge inconsistencies if I was to accept the basic premise of that movie, I would be led to believe that he was just grooming the world when spending most of his time outside performing helping sick and burned children. I would have to believe he was just befriending and showering them with gifts because he wanted to have sex with them. I have watched Michael with burned victims and I can tell you I believe it was real.
OzFqWTZrppnBYYJ7DkDy6wqMVLLvrAEMsWh7Q0WGIyg.jpg

I don't care if 99% of the world believes Michael Jackson is a monster, I don't. Heck 99% of the world believes I am a monster that doesn't make it true. I know that people have already made up their mind one way or the other already because everybody sees their own truth based on their life experiences. I respect that.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Hi Surfinn, I respect your opinion. I watched Leaving Neverland and aside from the huge inconsistencies if I was to accept the basic premise of that movie, I would be led to believe that he was just grooming the world when spending most of his time outside performing helping sick and burned children. I would have to believe he was just befriending and showering them with gifts because he wanted to have sex with them. I have watched Michael with burned victims and I can tell you I believe it was real.

I don't care if 99% of the world believes Michael Jackson is a monster, I don't. Heck 99% of the world believes I am a monster that doesn't make it true. I know that people have already made up their mind one way or the other already because everybody sees their own truth based on their life experiences. I respect that.
Do you believe the victims in Leaving Neverland?

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Helping burn victims has nothing to do with the mountains of evidence that he raped children though.

I feel like because you made a strong connection to him because of this and your condition you don't want to admit to yourself the horrible actions of his personal life.

Which I get, it's hard when your heroes fail you.

The central question remains. Do you believe the victims who say MJ raped them?

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Sexual abusers don't abuse everyone they encounter.
Jeffrey Dahmer didn't eat all of his neighbors. He was still a murderer/cannibal, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.