• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Still love all of his songs but I completely separate them from what he became.

Heal The World is still an amazing song, I was 11 when it was released, prior to that songs like Bad, Smooth Criminal, Thriller and Beat It where on another level.

Bad Advice

Jan 8, 2019
damn time flies quick. as another poster said my feelings for him have been a rollercoaster. don't know what to think. his music is timeless, a true gift for mankind. but also by a possible child rapist. damn it.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greatest artist and entertainer of all time. He was larger then life.

Thank you for the beautiful music you left behind.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was always fascinated by the public perception heel turn with Jackson.

Before his death he was the butt of many jokes about him being a child molester. It was like widely known he was a creepy and strange dude.

He dies, and all of a sudden he is some saint/icon. It took that HBO documentary to remind everyone all the weird shit he did.

That being said, I think its very possible to separate the art from the artist. The music rules.

Last edited:

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He described accusers as "caught lying" and got banned. You wanna die on that hill?

In the very post you quoted I said "This is a matter for the courts to decide, not you nor the person you're replying to" and then proceed to lament how he will never face these allegations. I never said the accusations were false.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Alright dude. You're the type of person that can never be wrong haha.

How is someone whose charged on 14 different counts going to walk away where not one stuck? They even got Paul manafort on something. Yes, they're all false as far as I can tell.
It's hilarious that after specifically saying Michael Jackson wasn't another OJ case, you immediately pointed to Jackson's acquittal as proof that he did nothing wrong. I seem to remember OJ, quite famously, being acquitted of his charges too.

I remember this like it was yesterday. It's one of those events where I can tell you exactly what I was doing when the story broke. His death kicked off ten long terrible years of tragic musician deaths.

Bowie's death stinged the most for me. I suppose it's probably because I was always more into Bowie's music than MJ's (or Prince's, for that matter, another huge loss that same year) but Bowie's death was the one that really felt seismic to me.

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
That being said, I think its very impossible to separate the art from the artist. The music rules.
I think Jackson is probably the figure who'll you hear "Separate the art from the artist" most. His music is too mainstream (even if you don't listen to it anymore it'll pop up in movies old and new) and well liked by either yourself, or friends and family you hold dear for a good long while, it's too difficult to accept that you're listening to a probable abuser so you just tune that part out.

Oct 27, 2017
I remember the day very very clearly. It was oddly quiet outside and still. Went to ONTD to check the news and the web literally broke that day lol I remeber THOUSANDS of pages of comments on the ONTD post - I was on there for like 5 days straight.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Jackson is probably the figure who'll you hear "Separate the art from the artist" most. His music is too mainstream (even if you don't listen to it anymore it'll pop up in movies old and new) and well liked by either yourself, or friends and family you hold dear for a good long while, it's too difficult to accept that you're listening to a probable abuser so you just tune that part out.
lol my bad

I meant it is POSSIBLE to separate art from artist

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember first reading about him being rushed to the hospital on bungie.net. that day. His death was a shock.

The weird thing was that it took his death for MTV to stop airing Reality TV as they began playing his music videos as a tribute.

RIP

Oct 25, 2017
Gordita Beach
Bowie's death stinged the most for me. I suppose it's probably because I was always more into Bowie's music than MJ's (or Prince's, for that matter, another huge loss that same year) but Bowie's death was the one that really felt seismic to me.
his album dropping (a great album at that) then a week or two later dying was a thing

leonard cohen did the same thing in the same year

16bits

Apr 26, 2019
It's hilarious that after specifically saying Michael Jackson wasn't another OJ case, you immediately pointed to Jackson's acquittal as proof that he did nothing wrong. I seem to remember OJ, quite famously, being acquitted of his charges too.

Fwiw, Bowie is another one. It's just not as big news as Jackson.

Both are off my playlist for the same reasons.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
In the very post you quoted I said "This is a matter for the courts to decide, not you nor the person you're replying to" and then proceed to lament how he will never face these allegations. I never said the accusations were false.
You said "are you trying to bait a ban?" in response to someone asking the very fair and relevant question of if that (now banned) poster is calling accusers liars (spoiler: yes he did and was awarded a one week vacation for it).

That has nothing to do with the court of law.

Last edited:

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
His music is one of the greatest ever made, it basically created a style that defines my musical taste even today. But the man was a fucking monster, and doesn't deserve to be celebrated at all. Even if what he had done to those boys, he had done to consenting adults, he'd still be a manipulative, abusive asshole. That he did that shit to children is even worse.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are you trying to bait a ban? This is a matter for the courts to decide, not you nor the person you're replying to and that's the biggest shame here. That this will never go to court and as a result there will never be closure regarding these accusations.

The courts sentenced the Central Park 5 to a decade of jail time. When new evidence came out, they changed their decision. Why not the same for Jackson? Especially since one of his key witnesses in his trial has come forth to say he was abused, and has a very convincing argument for why he didn't come forth earlier?

Courts do not decide what is the truth.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
You could perhaps instead defend your position where two cases of pedophilia are "not remotely comparable" instead of "lmao ok dude."
you know the differences between Bowie and Jackson. there is one dude that built a fucking theme park as a way to coerce children to behave inappropriately with him versus the very toxic, misogynistic groupie culture of the rock music scene of the 60s/70s.

Deleted member 225

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Listening to little Michael singing "Rockin Robin" at this moment.

I only support child MJ at this point.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
tbh I admittedly don't know much about allegations against Bowie in that regard and have never really spent time looking too deeply into them. My vague sense of it was at least one or two accounts of him having sex with teenage girls during his 70s tours, which obviously is bad -- sex with someone underage is sex with someone who is underage - but does still strike me as different from the kinds of abuse Jackson was accused. (edit: basically what andymcc said) It does make you wonder how many other rock stars and bands from the 70s are mired in the same shit. I've heard similar about the Rolling Stones. Ringo even has a goddamn song about it!

I don't know. I only brought up Bowie because I found his death shocking!

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
For people who are on the "reasonable doubt" train, I'll repost what I posted in the Neverland thread.

These things are undisputed
Had sleepovers with young boys
Bought them rings
Seen holding hands like a couple
Had no other romantic partner at that time
gave those kids alcohol
had an alarm system for his room
kept the parents separate
was accused by at least 5 kids of sexual assault

None of that adds to reasonable doubt for me.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
You could perhaps instead defend your position where two cases of pedophilia are "not remotely comparable" instead of "lmao ok dude."
Stolen from reddit:
"Pedophile means attraction to the pre-pubescent, pre-sexual development. Not a defense, he pulled some questionably aged girls in an era that was more lax about that behavior than they should have been, but he wasn't raping infants or fucking people against their will.

Bowie exploited a power dynamic common to rock stars when he shouldn't have, and I think he obviously changed his behavior as he became more of a man. He was a flawed person who grew up to find the great love of his life and raise a healthy family."

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
User Banned (1 week): Dismissing credible accusations of sexual assault.
I used to condemn MJ when the documentary came out but know I just stay neutral. There are eye-raising inconsistencies on both stories but I tend to side MJ a tiny bit and the reason is the following:

as someone who has gone through his fair share of fucked-up stories on similar topics, I know how INCREDIBLY hard is to speak about that kind of stuff, to any one, single person. let alone put it there for the world to see.

So I feel zero empathy when a guy says "MJ loved when I'd spread my butt cheeks" only to be interrupted by the director saying "CUT!! we have to fix the lights, please repeat that line and remember to look afflicted and please shake your hand, that creates drama"

are they lying? I don't care either way but I wish they get whatever justice they deserve, if they do.

That being said, the docu rubs me the wrong way and made me roll my eyes to the moon and back.

as for MJ, he was, at the very least, a complete asshole. Otherwise you wouldn't have people wanting to destroy you like that.

hombremalo

Oct 26, 2017
He paid some of the victims, to avoid trial for abusing them, that is not discutible, he raped kids, the man some people defend.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
So I feel zero empathy when a guy says "MJ loved when I'd spread my butt cheeks" only to be interrupted by the director saying "CUT!! we have to fix the lights, please repeat that line and remember to look afflicted and please shake your hand, that creates drama"
Pretty fucked up that because a director is doing director things you'd feel no empathy for a person who was a victim of rape as a fucking child.
are they lying? I don't care either way but I wish they get whatever justice they deserve, if they do.
You're basically saying you think they are lying but aren't saying it. You don't believe they are telling the truth

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
As an artist, one of the greateast of all time (if not the greatest)

As a person, i will not even begin.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
I personally have decided to separate art and artist.

There's so many different attributes I had to look at for this:

1) Money I use towards the art supports an artist who has done something I disagree with (disagree is a soft word in the case, outright disgust is more accurate for this specific case).
2) But it also goes to support entire economies with many other people / employees receiving that money.
3) Could I enjoy the art and disassociate it from my feelings or thoughts on the artist?

So while I think it looks accurate that Michael Jackson had at the very least inappropriate physical interaction with children, at the very worst downright rape - I've decided to disassociate him from his art.

Thriller was my first piece of music ever (tape deck - lol dates me). I still love listening to that album every so often.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I found an old DVD with a Louis Theroux collection on it.

Something I never see talked about is Theroux's documentary in which he chronicles his attempts to get the interview with Jackson but ultimately loses out to Bashir.

My point is that at some point he interviews a British guy who had previously met The Jacksons for an interview when he was like 9. Michael Jackson took his number and kept in touch with it leading to Jackson turning the conversation sexual. The story was reported in the U.K. tabloid 'The Sun' but quickly forgotten with the guy in the documentary seemingly wanting to forgive and forget and reconnect with Jackson in the future.

Seeing this after the Never Land documentary really turned my stomach because of the way it started with phone calls.

I loved Michael Jackson as a kid (was born in '83) and have always thought it was people out for cash but after Never Land and seeing the Theroux documentary I now believe that he was 100% a child sex abuser.

I can no longer stand his music, nevermind enjoy it.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
It's too bad that this piece of shit died before he served his time.

And there's people in here defending the pedophile. I guess I know who to block.
I repeat what I just said - it's awful takes like this that keep victims suffering in silence.

Trauma isnt a linear experience. Neither is acceptance of it and certainly not the ability to vocalize it. I would think if you truly watched the documentary you'd see that.
Quoted for truth.

Oct 25, 2017
Great artist. I haven't seen the documentary. I probably should watch but it sounds sickening. The evidence seems pretty damning even though it's a tough pill to swallow that this is really what MJ was

Status
Not open for further replies.