• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
He frequently slept in bed with little boys on their own. This is known. That you're taking so much energy to dismiss the window dressing around the obvious is fucking trash. You did it in the documentary thread, you're doing it here. You're incredibly transparent.

Not to mention the warning bells in the hallway leading to his room....completely normal.

OP
OP
ThisThingIsUseful
Oct 31, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Michael Jackson threads have been particularly difficult to adjudicate given the long and tortured history of the cases, the outcome of previous trials, and the fact that the subject is deceased. Please observe these rules of engagement:

• You are free to presume MJ's guilt and label him accordingly.
  • You can reference inconsistencies in testimony and past acquittals.
  • You cannot label the accusers as liars or frauds or similar.

If you can't observe these rules or can't accept them, do not participate. Metacommentary derails will be banned.

I appreciate the guidelines. I love talking about his music and impact on the medium but I don't begrudge anyone for talking about his personal life; it's an impossible thing to avoid considering the accusations.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Imagine celebrating a pedophile. I'm sorry but no matter how great you have been, once you are outed as a pedo that is all you are and should be remembered for.

His music is simply impossible to enjoy knowing how revolting and abusive he was.

Air

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can you be specific, in what way?

There are accounts from Brett Barnes and taj Jackson that the dinner that Wade is talking about took place after the trial, not before the trial. There were multiple people at that dinner. And they say it didn't happen like was described

Michael Jackson's lawyers could not use james testimony in the second trial. The judged barred it well in advance and his lawyers never called him

Wade's mom contradicts the timing of Wade's stories in a sworn court testimony that they were somewhere completely different (in the Grand canyon) when Wade alleges of abuse in the doc.

Jimmy made it a point that Michael stopped contacting him after he was like 14 or 15, but there are pictures of him being on set for film shoots because Michael hired him for help in the 90s.

Wade calls himself a master of deception in some court document.

Michael's defense attorney brought Wade in for questioning before using him in trial. According to the attorney they had a bunch of people they could use, but Wade was intent on talking and after being questioned by multiple people on the defense in mock trials, they felt that he was being honest at the time.

James's accounts and timing of the abuse doesn't line up with evidence of structures he says we're there and when they were actually built. The train station in Neverland wasn't built until a couple of years after the alleged abuse had taken place and there's a bit about euro Disney Land I cant remmeber

There are dates for the allegations where Michael was in a completely different place. This can be verified. I remember reading an account that he was in New York or Japan and there were receipts because of concerts or something. My memory is hazy on this point, but it's in a catch-all document I found.

Neverland was fully staffed. Because it was so large they had to have cameras and people everywhere. If the abuse happened in all of the places that they allege, they're essentially implicating at least dozens of people of being implicit.

There's more but I'm at work.

Eish.....that's not a good look thoigh

I guess it depends. If he was gifted it and just kept it, it's not a problem. I can't remember if he bought it himself. He had a massive library and was an art collector though. If you look at it from a common pov I can get it, but there's a lot of art where the nude body is shown in a way to highlight some aesthetic ideal. The issue here is that if we govern what is obscene, you fall down on a slippery slope. This is a big deal in the art world actually (I remember taking a law class about it).

Still, I get what you mean, but there are different perspectives to it

Jssom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Trolling in a sensitive thread
Greatest performer ever.

Innocent until proven guilty. Haters gonna hate.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
Crazy it's been 10 years. It was so shocking when he passed because he had that huge tour/show set up.

His music is timeless and amazing, what a talent.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greatest musical performer of all time.
Also one of the worst celebrities of all time.

Last edited:

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
There are people that are going to come in here and make hit and run comments about being him being "The greatest of all time", "What a legend", etc. just to get under your skin. Don't fall for it.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
There are people that are going to come in here and make hit and run comments about being him being "The greatest of all time", "What a legend", etc. just to get under your skin. Don't fall for it.
Yep, they're just trolls. Anyone that does it gets dumped right into the ignore list.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FWIW I absolutely think he's guilty of most of the things he's accused off, even if some of the details don' add up or whatever. But I believe the victims.

However, how are these any different to hit and run comments about him being a peadophile? Either way, doesn't seem like theres much actual discussion happening here.

PS Dirty Diana is objectively his best song. You're wrong if you think otherwise.

InspectaDekka

Banned
Jan 4, 2019
I'm not going to judge a dead man until there is sufficient proof (which I know you will all dogpile me for) but nor am I going to defend or attack Jackson, or his accusers.

All I'm saying here is that: he was a fantastic musician, and a great performer.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Would have had a peerless legacy if he behaved himself. Even if you don't believe the accusers, the whole optics of spending so much time with children not your own is suspect.

TheFuzz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I don't think they're all trolls. People genuinely believe he might have made mistakes but still think he's one of the greatest artists to ever live. That's not hyperbole.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
FWIW I absolutely think he's guilty of most of the things he's accused off, even if some of the details don' add up or whatever. But I believe the victims.

However, how are these any different to hit and run comments about him being a peadophile? Either way, doesn't seem like theres much actual discussion happening here.

PS Dirty Diana is objectively his best song. You're wrong if you think otherwise.
The difference is he's dead and can't be offended. There are real living survivors of child abuse here that probably don't appreciate the praise. It should be pretty obvious.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The difference is he's dead and can't be offended. There are real living survivors of child abuse here that probably don't appreciate the praise. It should be pretty obvious.
For me it always comes back to the discussion about separating art and artist. There is no right or wrong answer. I, for the most part, can. Don't blame anybody who can't though.

NYCrooner

Jan 3, 2018
Just like the many artists, athletes, politicians, etc that have come before him and will come after him, he is a terribly flawed, maybe even evil, human being with an unbelievable talent that changed the course of history. I will always adore his music. Unquestionably my favorite artists of all time.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Greatest pop artist ever, probably a terrible person. I'm not fully convinced but leaning towards that he did it, which would've made me boycott the music if he still lived. Now that his proceeds go to his children though, I hope listening to it can lead to some good at least. Just someone take care of Paris.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
He made great music, made terrible decisions and was a generally bad guy. I know which of those things I consider more important when considering his "legacy" but that's just me.

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
Straight up lying about there not existing evidence (there is tons) to defend a pedophile is actually what's disgusting here.

Lying and defending someone who deserves no defense doesn't make you a pedophile. I understand that this is a sensitive subject for a lot of people, but calling that guy a pedophile for being wrong is disgusting.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Fuck Michael Jackson. Good, that's 10 less years of potential manipulation and sexual abuse.

Fuck people people who celebrate him.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
he was creative and talented and influenced many other artists,
but his behavior with children cannot be excused just because of that, it's very disturbing that so many choose to ignore what is in front of them specially when it's for such a horrible thing.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Very likely a trash human who also happened to be an incredible artist. I'm able to separate the two, but I also understand that some people can't. (Which isn't wrong)

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lying and defending someone who deserves no defense doesn't make you a pedophile. I understand that this is a sensitive subject for a lot of people, but calling that guy a pedophile for being wrong is disgusting.
....you seem to be unaware of the story I'm talking about where a mod of this community literally went to bat for a pediphile (like many are here) and legitimately turned out to be a pedophille

[mod edit: cross-forum drama removed]

Last edited by a moderator:

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Good reminder what perpetual use of pain killers and sleep meds will eventually do to you. Always wondered how different he would have been if his hair had not caught fire

Status
Not open for further replies.