• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Well, glad I never got excited for it. Live action + ATLA is cursed (and wholly unnecessary).

Make a third animated Avatar series, guys. Earthbending Avatar, let's go.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Seriously though, why not just make an animated Avatar series starring a new Avatar. We don't need any live action remakes of something as good as Avatar was. If you really want to go the live action route then have it a new story - remaking the old one is frankly pointless

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
smh, no hype for this then. can they get started on another animated series at least.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
A tale retold through the ages. He's a live-adaptation movie of a popular thing. We have some great people working on the project. No wait. They just left.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is M Night available?

iu

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
tumblr_mz2f3ksKGS1t4tc86o2_500.gif

Maybe the cycle of the Avatar applies to the Live Action adaptions as well and this is next incarnation of it.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
And who knows? Netflix's live-action adaptation of Avatar has the potential to be good. It might turn out to be a show many of you end up enjoying.

I love this wording.

I admire them for taking a stance but it does put Netflix in an odd position.

Maybe, as usual, Netflix will just throw a ton of money at it and hope that the trailer brings in the fans and new people alike.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
I love this wording.

I admire them for taking a stance but it does put Netflix in an odd position.

Maybe, as usual, Netflix will just throw a ton of money at it and hope that the trailer brings in the fans and new people alike.
I just don't see it working especially with Avatar already being on Netflix. It's just going to cause comprison and likely in a negative way

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this doesn't look good at all. Give me more animated series. I love ATLA and Korra.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
"And who knows? Netflix's live-action adaptation of Avatar has the potential to be good. It might turn out to be a show many of you end up enjoying. But what I can be certain about is that whatever version ends up on-screen, it will not be what Bryan and I had envisioned or intended to make."

I wonder what Netflix's vision is.

But just from this statement it doesn't sound the creators and Netflix split on the best terms. Live action Avatar the last air bender seems cursed.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
"And who knows? Netflix's live-action adaptation of Avatar has the potential to be good. It might turn out to be a show many of you end up enjoying. But what I can be certain about is that whatever version ends up on-screen, it will not be what Bryan and I had envisioned or intended to make."

I wonder what Netflix's vision is.

But just from this statement it doesn't sound the creators and Netflix split on the best terms. Live action Avatar the last air bender seems cursed.
If that's true that may damage the chances of the Avatar Series even animated on Netflix

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
That's not a good sign.

I hope at the very least if the Netflix show goes on it doesn't whitewash the characters again.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
FFS. This is almost the exact same thing that happened to the Percy Jackson live action adaptations, and we all know how that turned out. Ugh.

Gumshoe

Oct 31, 2017
How genuinely sad. Their involvement was the only thing that gave me any hope of this being quality.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Absolutely sad, and what a well written letter. 0 interest in this series now.

watkinzez

Oct 25, 2017
Straya mate
It surprised me at the time of the announcement that they were the showrunners and not consultants. Who wants to spend years of their career to tell the same story over again, especially when you can't do it the way you want to? So, I get it.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
Bryan posted this 5 page statement

some quotes from the above statement:

When Netflix brought me on board to run this series alongside Mike two years ago, they made a very public promise to support our Vision. Unfortunately, there was no follow-through on that promise. Though I got to work with some great individuals, both on Netflix's side and on our own small development team, the general handling of the project created what I felt was a negative unsupportive environment.

To be clear, this was not a simple matter of us not getting our way. Mike and I are collaborative people; we did not need all of the ideas to come from us. As long as we felt those ideas were in line with the spirit and integrity of Avatar, we would have happily embraced them.

However, we ultimately came to the belief that we would not be able to meaningfully guide the direction of the series.

Perhaps the team that remains might still be able to make something the fans of the original and an entirely new audience can enjoy.

I will put my time, energy, and talents towards projects that give me the most fulfillment, and where I am afforded trust and respect.

Life is too short to do otherwise.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017
The backlash is going to be huge. I hope Netflix reconsiders.

Also given the renewed popularity of the series, I am very surprised that there has been no effort to put out some new animated content. A mini Kyosi prequel series would be awesome. As would an adaptation of the graphic novel sequels to ATLA.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Not a good sign but im still willing to give them the benefit of the doubt