• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
https://www.azfamily.com/news/city-...cle_2f286e24-6f46-11eb-8d3c-23cf0df74e22.html

MIAMI, AZ (3TV/CBS 5) -- February is officially recognized across the country as Black History Month. But in the small town of Miami, Arizona, comments at a recent City Council meeting surrounding a proclamation for similar recognition have generated controversy.

The Feb. 8 meeting started off routinely, with the Pledge of Allegiance and the reading of the agenda. But shortly after it began, Councilman Don Reiman expressed displeasure at proclaiming February Black History Month.

"There's a big to-do about the Black community wanting to revise history and tear down all the monuments and not deal with the history, and we're supposed to set forth Black History Month," said Reiman. "It kind of seems like there's kind of a contradiction in those two philosophies."

I know this town is small and the population is almost 2,100 but man, this shit is bizarre to see and appalling.

Reminder Arizona couldn't recognize MLK Day until the 90s only because they got a Super Bowl stripped from them.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
"There's a big to-do about the Black community wanting to revise history and tear down all the monuments and not deal with the history, and we're supposed to set forth Black History Month," said Reiman. "It kind of seems like there's kind of a contradiction in those two philosophies."

UGH

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wiki'd it. Looks like the town is super small and only has an average of 1,800 citizens from the census taken from 10 years ago. The population reported to be 1% Black/African American. So, sounds about white. As usual.

YourFriend

Nov 15, 2017
Pretty much when you get to the outskirts of Phoenix metro it is heavily republican so I don't think anyone should be surprised that when you get this far away from the city it turns into an even more crazy type of people. Population is less than 1% black in this backward town.

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
Had me real confused for a moment and I actually know that town. There's actually two towns pretty much stuck together, globe and miami, it's basically a copper mine town. Some of these AZ mining towns had effectively segregated cities for management and workers until not that long ago so this is unsurprising.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
QjlsGu8.png

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
A town of 2000? There are HS's bigger than that. They're irrelevant.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Arizona, where old racists choose to retire to when Florida is too expensive and considered too diverse.

Oct 27, 2017
I am from Miami, AZ and am pretty surprised at my fellow Americans historical and geographic ignorance about my town.

jk

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
None of the men in that video look under 60. Imagine being that close to death and still deciding to be a prick.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Figured it would be a bunch of fat old white dudes even before I saw the video, and I wasn't disappointed.

I can't wait for those people to die off - not that younger generations are much better, to be fair.