• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 31, 2017
This state has been fucked cross-eyed by the republican party. Since the 2010 census they've set up a nice little minority rule fiefdom for themselves.

A nonpartitsan redistrict initiative has made the ballot and survived two court challenges. With the appeals court stating they have no case.

It's enemies have gone to war.

-The piece of human excrement AG, also running for governor, has taken the unusual step of not defending a citizen ballot initiative. In fact he's trying to kill it too.

-The already tough state supreme court is populated by several judges running for reelection funded by the same people trying to kill the ballot question.

https://www.freep.com/story/opinion...07/11/justices-gerrymandering-case/776776002/
-The Chamber of Commerce supports the killing of the drive. The pro side found out and outed those behind it/protested.
-The CoC cried like a stuck animal

-They then activated proudly racist, Nolan Finley. He's one of the most disengenuous race-baiters I've ever seen and his article has to be read to be believed.

It heads to the supreme court this Wednesday.

Redistricting, minimum wage increase and marijuana legalization could all potentially be on the same ballot during a midterm/gubernatorial year.

They're also all under some form of legal attack.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/n...ette-redistricting-proposal-ballot/736710002/

Deleted member 4021

Oct 25, 2017
The Republicans are not going to like what people decide to do once they've made removing them by vote impossible.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
It sounds like it won't be there by then if I'm understanding the OP right

Yeah but its still a very important time to take a stand in Michigan

The whole country is going to be reeling for awhile from the consequences of our corruption and stacked deck political assault

Its all i i ha to hold onto is hope that we can chip away at these issues...

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Woah that's surprising since I thought the court was packed. Hope it comes through. Could change the game for MI

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is such a beautiful state. I'm sick of these fucks doing everything they can to change that. My vote isn't enough.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Good, I'm still expecting some bullshit with the GOP and their pay masters, they'll stoop to any level retain whatever power and influence they can. Ideally all those fucks will be voted out in November, might not be likely but there's hope.

OP
OP
Stay Up Be Easy
Dec 31, 2017
Seems like there's alrrady hell to pay for the Republican appointed justices that let this make the ballot.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/o...02/gop-bosses-bully-rule-law-judge/879207002/

Beth Clements sided with the two Democrats along with Viviano.

-Her fundraising firm dropped her.
-Her fellow GOP appointee up for reelection, the above mentioned Kurtis Wilder, has stopped campaigning along side her.
-The Republicans are considering not even putting her on the ballot in November when they meet later this month.

*Excuse me linking Nolan Finley. Dude's a true piece of shit, but he's the only source I could find.

OP
OP
Stay Up Be Easy
Dec 31, 2017
https://www.clickondetroit.com/mich...ed-to-approve-recreational-marijuana-proposal

Damnit.

By a margin of 37.8 percent-31.4 percent, a plurality of Michigan voters narrowly support a constitutional amendment that would create an Independent Redistricting Commission to handle redrawing legislative and congressional district boundaries. 30.8 percent of voters remain undecided.

There are stark differences on the redistricting proposal by party affiliation. Strong Republican voters are sharply opposed to the constitutional amendment.

Leaning Republican and Independent voters are split, with Democratic voters in support of the proposal

But this constitutional amendment is NOT in the upper fifties as is historically required at the start of a campaign to be positioned for passage.

Guess it just isn't to be.

Still gonna vote for it though.

OP
OP
Stay Up Be Easy
Dec 31, 2017
Actual ads are being run for this thing now.

And it seems to be creeping up in the polls.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/po...-marijuana-easier-voting-michigan/1446391002/

The Voters Not Politicians question, designated as Proposal 2 on the ballot, is up in the poll 48-32 percent, with 20 percent undecided.

The proposal got significant support from both Democrats and Independents, but was losing by 33-44 percent among Republicans. It also got support from most areas of the state, except for the Bay region in northeast Michigan and in the northern portion of the state.

Also some great news on Proposal 3 which I didn't even know about!

The Promote the Vote question, which will be Proposal 3 on the ballot, would allow for voter registration up to the day of the election, allow people to get absentee ballots for no reason and allow straight-ticket voting. It got the most support in the poll with 70 perecent of those surveyed saying they'll vote for the proposal, 25 percent opposed and 6 percent undecided.

On straight ticket voting; the legislature took it away, there was a referendum to put it back, legislature took it wlaway again, was sued and kept off, appealed and put back on, and finally the MI Supreme court ruled for the legislature.

Speaking of the courts.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/n...t-bullying-redistricting-proposal/1412350002/

Michigan Supreme Court Justice Elizabeth Clement said she faced "bullying and intimidation" while deliberating a case that paved the way for a redistricting proposal to go on the November ballot.

As she runs for election to the court for the first time, Clement said she encountered pressure from "outside interests" — which she refused to identify — hoping to block the proposal from the ballot as she deliberated her decision.

The door hangers distributed by the Michigan Republican Party encouraged residents to vote on Nov. 6 and listed every other statewide Republican candidate, including Justice Kurtis Wilder, but omitted Clement's name and photo. Wilder joined the dissent in the redistricting case.

OP
OP
Stay Up Be Easy
Dec 31, 2017
https://www.freep.com/story/news/politics/2018/10/26/poll-michigan-ballot-proposals/1764291002/

The three ballot proposals that Michigan voters will face on Nov. 6 — legalizing marijuana, changing the way state and federal legislative district lines are drawn, and providing easier access to voting — are all on a path to victory, according to a new poll commissioned by the Detroit Free Press and its media partners.

The biggest shift in support came on Proposal 2 — the anti-gerrymandering proposal, which went from tenuous support with a 48-32 percent margin in September to a 59-29 percent lead in the latest poll

The proposal would shift the task of redrawing Michigan's state and federal legislative lines from the political party in power in the state Legislature to a 13-member citizen commission that would be made up of four Republicans, four Democrats and five independents. The final map would have to get approval from a majority of the commission, including at least two Republicans and two Democrats.

Those numbers could tighten in the final days of the campaign since the opposition's political action committee — Protect My Vote — began airing ads this week that portray the proposal as an expensive alternative to the status quo in which elected state politicians in power draw the lines.

Not gonna relax until the morning of November 7th, but it's looking good that support keeps increasing.

It cannot be overstated how huge Proposal 2 (and 3 too) would be if pissed. It would be seismic. So many dominoes would fall. Problems that have been intentionally ignored or worsened for decades would eventually self correct.

That whiny ad that's been playing on the radio is like nails on a chalk board. It's a sports channel I've heard it on so probably playing to their base, but I hope it doesn't bamboozle some people.

PS. I hope Amendment 4 in Florida giving felons the right to vote passes. Give back some dignity so those people don't have to grovel to some power tripping demon in human skin.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
https://www.freep.com/story/news/politics/2018/10/26/poll-michigan-ballot-proposals/1764291002/

That whiny ad that's been playing on the radio is like nails on a chalk board. It's a sports channel I've heard it on so probably playing to their base, but I hope it doesn't bamboozle some people.
It's great that they are looking likely to pass, I hope they do.

I wasn't going to respond till I read this paragraph. I've been listening to sports radio here in Houston and multiple times a day a republicans for judges ad comes on. It's literally dark ominous music saying how Democrat judges don't follow the law, and a liberal Democrat put a violent drug dealer back on the street, twice. Without ever mentioning the judges name or offender or case, then it switches to positive upbeat music taking about principled republican judges follow the law and how republican judges came up with a new way for women to get out of sex trafficking.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
Whoa, we actually have 3 exciting proposals to vote on in Michigan, and they're all ahead in the polls? Is this real life?

The anti-gerrymandering commercials have been pretty good. I haven't actually heard/seen any opposition for it.

I had no clue we were voting on legal weed. I figured it was another decade or so off for Michigan to get it together.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I had an absentee ballot, due to being at school. I voted yes on all three proposals.

I knew about the pot one, but I didn't even realize the gerrymandering one was up for voting until I read it. @.@

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
I was reminded last week on how depressingly single issue "religious" people are when a friend of my mother's lamenting about researching which people in the Michigan Supreme Court race are pro-life. Ugh.

Not gonna relax until the morning of November 7th, but it's looking good that support keeps increasing.

It cannot be overstated how huge Proposal 2 (and 3 too) would be if pissed. It would be seismic. So many dominoes would fall. Problems that have been intentionally ignored or worsened for decades would eventually self correct.

PS. I hope Amendment 4 in Florida giving felons the right to vote passes. Give back some dignity so those people don't have to grovel to some power tripping demon in human skin.

Considering how absolutely shady, if not outright corrupt Republicans are in this state I'd hold off until at least January 2nd and only if Republicans lose their House and Senate majorities.

OP
OP
Stay Up Be Easy
Dec 31, 2017
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/n...wilders-2018-devastating-rule-law/2407097001/

Bit of a bump, and it's ultimately inconsequential, but I'm pretty and the Republicans are still crying over the consequences of this ruling.

Michigan Supreme Court Justice Brian Zahra bemoaned the defeat of a former colleague at the Mackinac Republican Leadership Conference Saturday, seeming to imply that Kurtis Wilder's November defeat compromised the makeup of the state's highest court.

"It is an understatement to say that the defeat of Justice Kurtis Wilder was devastating to the rule of law in Michigan," said Zahra, a nine-year jurist on the state's highest court.

Elizabeth Clement, another Snyder appointee, won election to the court alongside Cavanagh in November despite the party's angst over a July 2018 vote that allowed a controversial redistricting proposal to appear on the November ballot.

My big concern is how the court has shifted away from the strong rule of law court it was under (former Gov. John) Engler," Schuette said. "I'd like to see it return to that type of court. It's important for Michigan."

The Republicans up for election that followed the party line got booted. The other that let the law love and was abandoned by her party was reelected.

A Democrat is retiring and a republican is up for election next year.

It can either stay the same R4-3, go back to 5-2(unless Whitmer gets to appoint) or D's flip it.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Supreme Court justices should not be at political events in general - also, they shouldn't be elected.

Dark Mantonio

Nov 1, 2017
Thanks for the update, loving the schadenfreude. Eager to hopefully flip in some progressive justices next year. The State of Michigan has been an expensive disappointment for too long.