• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
The breakout hit of the generation in my opinion. (That isn't F2P) They spent nearly 2 decades cultivating it and just when everyone thought they had it figure out Capcom took a big risk and refused to be backed into a corner. I can't think of any other Japanese franchise with that kind of potential.

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
Fascinating. This game bored me out of my mind, but I didn't realize it was so popular.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Couldn't get past the first page revisiting that thread. It is mostly the same that frequent the media create threads and kept shitting on capcom just because they took a risk and dropped the preferred platform in Japan looking for greener pastures. It was kinda sad how pessimistic people were.

10 million plainly seemed like insanity to me before the game launched. I have zero issue admitting I was wrong. I dunno why some people want to dwell on a bunch of people being wrong about this. Like it happens. Shrug.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
the gift that keeps on giving

KnXqhCP.png
Why are you/anyone saving random ass internet comments from 2 years ago just in case they happened to incorrectly predict the sales figures of a video game

Seems bizarrely petty

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Few things make me happier than seeing this series get the love it deserves around the world after spending literally over a decade singing its praises and trying to convince friends to give it a chance.

Can't wait for Iceborne.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
10 million plainly seemed like insanity to me before the game launched. I have zero issue admitting I was wrong. I dunno why some people want to dwell on a bunch of people being wrong about this. Like it happens. Shrug.

This isn't just related to MHW, the conversation about bringing MH to consoles has been going for over an entire console gen and well into the current one. Always met with gatekeeping, and general hostility.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Being wrong in a big way, especially after being adamant about the reasons, is definitely worth remembering imo.

You know, to learn for the future.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Being wrong in a big way, especially after being adamant about the reasons, is definitely worth remembering imo.

You know, to learn for the future.

It's been a year and a half. I think people get it at this point. It's not really about anything but gloating but tis the way the way she goes I know.

This isn't just related to MHW, the conversation about bringing MH to consoles has been going for over an entire console gen and well into the current one. Always met with gatekeeping, and general hostility.

It wouldn't have even been feasible to bring MH to HD consoles during the 7th generation given where the series was at the time. The moved Tri to the Wii due to HD development costs and spent that whole generation using assets between PS2, PSP and Wii.

Any how, like I said, I expected MHW to be successful but its the most successful 3rd party Japanese game ever. I didn't think this game was ever going to eclipse RE5's launch. Shrug, you win some you lose some.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MH to consoles thread are usually gold mine but nobody is expecting the franchise to blow up like this, even the most positive people aren't expecting 13M

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
It's been a year and a half. I think people get it at this point. It's not really about anything but gloating but tis the way the way she goes I know.

It wouldn't have even been feasible to bring MH to HD consoles during the 7th generation given where the series was at the time. The moved Tri to the Wii due to HD development costs and spent that whole generation using assets between PS2, PSP and Wii.

I've heard this argument so many times over the years, and I'm just as unconvinced. The Wii games would have been fine on other consoles with upscaled resolution. And no, things like this are always worth mentioning the next time someone brings up exclusives as some sort of benefit. MHW is by far the most accessible, but outside of their own design conventions, there was nothing holding them back from accomplishing this a generation ago.

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda fascinated with this game's longterm performance. One of weirder scenarios of crazy commercial performance I've seen in the past couple of years.

I've fallen off the game on PS4, mainly because the online paywall on consoles kills my motivation to get back into online games I haven't played in a while, but I plan to jump back in when the PC version of Iceborne is closer to release.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
Played it on PC but I don't think the series is for me. I wonder how many other people jumped in because it was their first opportunity to try the series?

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
Oh please, when Capcom churns out the Lost Planet 1 and 2 which has all kinds of monsters, detailed mech animations and big ass cinematic set pieces plus Dragon's Dogma which is a even bigger world map than MH not to mention you can climb on those monsters, its pretty obvious
Capcom wanted to milk the MH assets longer on the cheap while reaping the big profits.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
I cant see many actually thought it would be such a home run. Amazing. Congrats Capcom.

It was at 12M in early may I believe so another million sold in 2,5 months. Mostly digital sales I assume? Was it on sale during the Steam summer sales for instance?

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I hope Iceborne is a big hit. The beta hardly had anyone. On the other hand the original MHW beta was always packed.

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
This was half the people here honestly. Going back and rereading through the "MHW Could sell 10 Million" thread here always gives me a good laugh.

LOL

Yeah, I mean a few people were like 'who knows' or 'that seems high', but SO MANY in that thread were aggressively, obnoxiously, confidently incorrect, that it's just hilarious.

Regular wrong isn't funny.

Hyperbolic levels of being wrong is funny shiz though.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I hope Iceborne is a big hit. The beta hardly had anyone. On the other hand the original MHW beta was always packed.

Speaking for myself there's no need to play the Iceborne beta that much because I've been playing the base game for months so I know how it'll play.

And the last thing I need is to accidentally burn myself out on the new monsters before the game comes out lol.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Those gifts are insane. Heavy Armour Sphere's are going to get stacked like crazy due to the event that starts on July 26th.

Guess I'll be jumping back in ahead of Iceborne.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That 4chan thing is good reference for the fact not everything goes according to plan, lol.

I didn't expect the numbers it does, but I didn't expect a bomb either. MH has a huge fanbase, devoted too. I think handheld only actually worked against it in the west. Its an ideal game to play online on console and World proves that. With the surge of Japanese games this gen, and the popularity of looters/grinders its no surprise this game is sustainable.

I would've never played MH if it didn't come to consoles.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
I also had contribution in that sales. I bought the game a week after the launching and it was literally my first mh game, and when i said literal, i literally meant literal

aLoneWalker

Attempted to create multiple alt accounts
Banned
Jul 16, 2019
And Iceborne should very well be bought by every single of those 13kk people because it's gonna be the most massive G rank expansion to date. Totally worth it.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shipped units are basically guaranteed to sell through at this point. If you're gonna be snarky, at least know what you're talking about.
Yeah, like all those MGR copies that (probably still not) sold out at €1.79 bombas. Lol holy shit, "know what you're talking about"

Shipped generally means exactly nothing.

Seiez

Oct 29, 2017
Oh please, when Capcom churns out the Lost Planet 1 and 2 which has all kinds of monsters, detailed mech animations and big ass cinematic set pieces plus Dragon's Dogma which is a even bigger world map than MH not to mention you can climb on those monsters, its pretty obvious
Capcom wanted to milk the MH assets longer on the cheap while reaping the big profits.

But MH is primary a MP game and i would argue that it being popular is directly linked to it being a great game to play with friends (like destiny and co.). The game is most popular on PS. The PS3 was bad for MP games and i don't trust capcom (especially during that time) to have a great workaround for the bad ps3 mp structure. Look at MHW and you see that capcom to this day doesn't know how to make modern mp systems work.

I would argue that the success only could have happened with this generation. But the games probably should have been on pc earlier than that.

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, like all those MGR copies that (probably still not) sold out at €1.79 bombas. Lol holy shit, "know what you're talking about"

Shipped generally means exactly nothing.
Yes, at launch it means nothing. However if each quarter shipment numbers rise, like in this case, then they're obviously selling through the shipments. Context matters.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
And Iceborne should very well be bought by every single of those 13kk people because it's gonna be the most massive G rank expansion to date. Totally worth it.
Hmm im sorry but iceborn doesnt seem to be most massive expansion.. like how come? There is only one map, and there is only so much to do with that one map

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
One needed to only check the top sellers on Steam to see that this game has long legs. The recent sale would have been a huge chunk.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's amazing. I haven't bought it yet but I've pre-ordered it with the Iceborne expansion.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It definitely does. I still think it is a bad metric, why not just say "sold - through"? 10 million *sold* even sounds better and more impressive. I just thought that post was needlessly condescending, which usually all posts are that contain "you don't know what you're talking about".

Plus they might sell these 13m, but how good iceborn will really sell, especially to new costumers is yet to be seen obviously.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
It definitely does. I still think it is a bad metric, why not just say "sold - through"? 10 million *sold* even sounds better and more impressive. I just thought that post was needlessly condescending, which usually all posts are that contain "you don't know what you're talking about".

Plus they might sell these 13m, but how good iceborn will really sell, especially to new costumers is yet to be seen obviously.

So the new goal post for success is Iceborn expansion?