• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
You could control a miniature mecha, manually aim a rocket that shoots off your arm, hide on the side of your horse, make said horse poop, make said poop distract enemies, then distract said enemies with a pinup on a cardboard box, and you can do it all while playing The Man Who Sold the World on the background.

But most importantly of all, it all controls and looks impeccably; the game's 'feel', its tactile translation of input to animated action, remains the smoothest, crispest, most intuitive in a third person AAA action game of the past gen to this day, let alone open world. It makes it all work. A lesser game would be respectable for attempting to put this all together. MGSV actually makes them work in one of the most satisfying wholes this side of the decade.

And yet it is still a disappointing narrative effort disjointed by development chaos. A game of extremes, surely.

Boot up the game and jump into the fray, be it comprised of a half hour of resource/base management or random infiltration missions, and you might be struck by the tragic thought that this game, potential partially realized, could have been even better. The open world is effectively dull, war-tattered, sparse terrain. Character interaction confined, limited. But still -- despite of all of this, in spite of what was lost, what we got was incredible to play. What we got was peak 'tactical espionage operation'.

Feel that phantom pain.

Last edited:

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Great gameplay. Boring game world.
Absolutely. One of the greatest games of the generation, and greatest ever.
ShorttermThornyFlycatcher-max-14mb.gif

But no seriously, I've been meaning to play MGSV on PC. I bought it on sale for $7.50 but I keep pushing it back because every time I see discussions about it, people say it's super boring and what not. I'll get there eventually.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
It's a boring openworld spluttered with some interesting bases and great game mechanics.

It would have been a much better game if it was 10 ground zeroes style bases and no openworld grind in between.

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I loved it. Agree with one of the above replies about wishing there was a higher quantity of large and intricate bases though. The first time I saw that large base in the mission to rescue Huey I was like a kid.

Oct 27, 2017
It's my #2 GOTG behind Death Stranding. I had so much fun dicking around in the open world and replaying missions to try out different approaches. Game never gets old. Spending a lot of time with this game makes me want to play BOTW which is apparently another "do it however you want" open world title.

Absolutely. One of the greatest games of the generation, and greatest ever.
My man

ShorttermThornyFlycatcher-max-14mb.gif

But no seriously, I've been meaning to play MGSV on PC. I bought it on sale for $7.50 but I keep pushing it back because every time I see discussions about it, people say it's super boring and what not. I'll get there eventually.
Go for it! There's so much ways to approach missions that the game never gets boring. I personally never take ERA's general opinion on a game and prefer to play it myself and form my own opinion. Works perfectly.

snakey2389

May 31, 2019
I'm doing a Metal Gear marathon right now, and I'm about to do a fresh start for Phantom Pain now. I did not like it at all when it launched 5 years ago but having recently finished Peace Walker and enjoying it, I think I'm gonna like this one too.

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
Great gameplay. Boring game world.
It's a boring openworld spluttered with some interesting bases and great game mechanics.

It would have been a much better game if it was 10 ground zeroes style bases and no openworld grind in between.
Yup, agreed. Fantastic controls and systems, really shitty game world to explore once you've hit all the major bases. It would have benefited greatly from GZ type levels that are interconnected instead of a huge barren map.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Easily some of the best gameplay in recent memory.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
the world is just unexciting. It's boring, dull. The problem is - so are most of the bases.

I unironically enjoyed Ghost Recon Wildlands more, in part due to the coop but also because of how diverse the map was. Despite MGS5 offering better and deeper gameplay with more options, I always felt like I had to go out of my way to make it fun.

OP
OP
TissueBox

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Nier Automata and MGSV are in a similar boat for me. Superlative mechanics, in a drab and uninteresting game-space, even if, in the latter's case, it looks and sounds technically fantastic.

No other open-world game plays as well as MGSV, in a freeform combat sense. It is also the best in the third-person shooter genre at what it does.

It's a shame, because it's framed in a world that could use more variety and elaborate handcrafted locations. But playing it is still a revelation. Compare it to even Ubi's stuff, which is some of the best controlling, most consistent series in the industry when it comes to open-world production, (and whose settings take the piss on MGSV's environments), and it is untouched.

The expansiveness of the gameplay is a key factor, too. Metal Gear Survive, for instance, is a surprisingly solid game, as any game built on MGSV's gameplay foundations would make it hard not to be, but ends up feeling less inspired and more of a chore due to the nature of the gameplay loop. The way MGSV makes you feel powerful and full of options is essential.

Last edited:

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of the best playing games ever made, the gameplay/combat is so damn tight and the open world compliments it perfectly.

The options at your disposal are ridiculous, from the weapons/gadgets and vehicles to the excellent buddy system and more.

And the animation on Venom is so good.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game was fun despite the stupid open world addition, not because of it.

Had they removed the open world bullshit and just concentrated on connected "levels" maybe they would have had time to finish the damn game. I'm not asking for it to make sense, but just to have a complete solid story.

Yes the gameplay was brilliant, but trying to put it into an Ubisoft game was one of the stupidest decisions of all time.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Amazing gameplay
Okay open world, but not worth exploring outside of the bases.
Worst MGS game

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I think "great gameplay, boring world" about sums it up. It didn't really need to be open world, since that's not really the appeal. The appeal is the gameplay and that's what keeps it interesting, because the world itself is super bland and uninteresting.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
The fact that the gameplay, specifically the CQC stuff is so well done is actually a detriment to the series to me because I find it really hard to play MGS1 and 2 after.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I've only played Ground Zeros, but man, the controls are good. There's a better sense of weight to your movement too, compared to past MGS games.

OP
OP
TissueBox

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
So far, nearly every bona fide big-bucks open world game (yes, even GTAV) has had at least one stringent complaint leveraged against them: poor to tolerable driving controls. It seems ridiculous that no game has been able to nail it -- none, that is, except MGSV. (Driving the Batmobile is also a good time, that being said.)

Low vehicle variety and a lack of need for stunt jumps pro'lly make it a little easier on it, though.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I liked it more than most MGS games and it still had this weird base shit I never committed to and a really monotonous open world.

Genuinely loved infiltrating though.

Oct 27, 2017
The open world was good in theory because it let you approach areas from any direction. When combined with the ever expanding selection of gadgets, weapons and buddy abilities you had a ton of freedom.

However, most of the interesting bases had obvious choke points that limited freedom and it was easy to fallback on reliable strategy instead of experimenting.

I love the game, flawed and unfinished master piece. I wonder how the open world design would be improved today without having to ship the game on PS3/360.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
It really is, the mechanics are superb; it's a a shame the narrative only feels like 2/3rds of a game.

Oct 28, 2017
GZ is kind of just a better version of TPP. Same great mechanics with actual level design.

If TPP had been a linear game or even just a smaller, tightly-designed open world, it would have been fantastic.

parski

Nov 13, 2017
I loved the whole process approaching a base, scouting it meticulously and just taking it out guard by guard. The area between bases was pretty dull and I hate the Skulls but the really tight gameplay more than make up for it. And the Fulton extraction system.

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Top 5 games of last gen most definitely

So far, nearly every bona fide big-bucks open world game (yes, even GTAV) has had at least one stringent complaint leveraged against them: poor to tolerable driving controls. It seems ridiculous that no game has been able to nail it -- none, that is, except MGSV. (Driving the Batmobile is also a good time, that being said.)

Low vehicle variety and a lack of need for stunt jumps pro'lly make it a little easier on it, though.

Strange you mention that as I found the vehicle controls one of the worst aspects of the game. But what do I know, I think GTA4 has the best driving mechanics in an open world game.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
It's boring as fuck. It's cool to dick around with the mechanics, but traversing that world is a fucking chore. I had more fun with Ground Zeroes.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The Fulton balloon and soldier collecting mechanics utterly killed this game for me. Ground Zeroes is my go to, as its tightly knit base layout feels more cohesive and tense than anything in the full game, and when you have to extract a target from Camp Omega, the escape is more frantic and exhilarating than the comparably small checkpoints you clear in Afghanistan and Africa. And the talent ratings and staff management brings nothing positive to the game, and it's frankly dumb in premise and execution.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
GZ is kind of just a better version of TPP. Same great mechanics with actual level design.

If TPP had been a linear game or even just a smaller, tightly-designed open world, it would have been fantastic.
Seriously, this. My dream would be infiltrating a wide corridor jungle area (which we barely even had in the final game!!) with a couple outposts, leading to a base on par with GZ's.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017

what a bizarre comparison to make, driving is a miniscule part of MGS5, similiar to something like Battlefield. It does the job but it's obviously nowhere near the level of something like GTA or Mafia. And, well, it shouldn't be, MGS is a military sandbox..

Oct 26, 2017
Probably one of the most disappointing stories I've ever experienced in gaming, but man was it fun. Too bad Death Stranding was the follow up...

iori9999

Dec 8, 2017
It also has some of the dumbest trophies. That catch all animal trophy is the worst shit ever.

OP
OP
TissueBox

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
what a bizarre comparison to make, driving is a miniscule part of MGS5, similiar to something like Battlefield. It does the job but it's obviously nowhere near the level of something like GTA or Mafia. And, well, it shouldn't be, MGS is a military sandbox..

It's under-used, imo. You never need to drive for a main story mission. But the fact that you can, and that it works as fluidly as everything else, makes it worth a bit of attention iyam, as it is still a mechanic made viable as a way of navigating open lands in-game.

I haven't played a Battlefield in a while, though, so I can't speak to how the driving controls in its recent titles heHEH.

Deleted member 10193

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just adding my voice to the noise.

Its easily one of, if not the, best handling open world games I've played. The running, climbing, shooting and sneaking mechanics are a joy to use.

Just a shame it gets bogged down by empty world and ridiculous story.

SirDante

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 20, 2020
It's a great game.. but not really a Metal Gear game to me. Snake has to say atleast 1000 words in the final cutscene and epilogue for that to be so

Apr 26, 2020
The gameplay was fine/good, but the open world itself was the most boring, unnecessary and dull open worlds i had ever had the chance to walk through.

First of all the 2 worlds look very similar, most of the space is empty, with sometimes a convoy driving through.

Every mission went like this.
-Getting dropped
-Walking a lot of time through the dull world doing nothing
-arriving at the settlement(good part begins)
-clearing the objective
-walking back to a pick up point somewhere , with dread that you get found.

Especially the Bee Rocket launcher mission was the moment i realized how annoying it is. That mission was like 65% of the time travelling towards the mission area. Oh and i forgot about the Skulls...i always ran straight past them with my horse

And yeah i guess it makes sense that if you want to be stealthy that your helicopter cant land close by the settlement , but that doesnt made it fun in mgsv. I guess this was the first game that really dissappointed me in my gaming gaming career(after a llt of pre-launch hype), but that is also for a huge part due to the story

Last edited:

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
I just got it, too, just because I had been holding off on it.

I had played it a long while ago through family sharing, but I needed to re-activate it all the time.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's a shame we never got that Third Chapter. Sounded great based on the documentary.

But yeah, even with the lack of variety in locations, MGSV is all I could ask for in an open world Metal Gear game.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
There's a difference between good core gameplay mechanics and a fun open world. The world is MGSV is about as bland and barren as it gets.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
I love the game. One of the most fun games to play.
And along with TLoU Part 2 it ruined every other game with stealth. Those 2 games are on a level of their own when it comes to stealth.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
The open world design is perfect, but I see some people here still think it's meant to be explored or something like your regular open world game.