• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah man. Even though kojima is making death stranding it won't be the same without the characters of mgs.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
No need to imagine. Uncharted 4 and Max Payne 3 have much better gameplay than MGSV.

Also Ghost Recon Wildlands is much better.

Ghost recon Wildlands controlling better than MGSV has to be the most bizarre opinion I have ever seen. MGSV absolutely demolishes Recon mechanically. The no of actions, the responsiveness etc.. are on another level.

I can even understand Uncharted or MP as good controlling games but Wildlands is terrible.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Easily, imo. Despite disliking too much about the game to really enjoy it, I cannot deny this.

Warframe is fun,. but it's junky as hell. You look like you're slipping all over the environment. Feedback is barely there.

You ARE slipping over the environment and you can use mods to increase or decrease the friction.

Certainly not junky. It plays exactly how its supposed to.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
I mean, TPS is kind of a broad term. The way something like Uncharted 4 controls wouldn't fit at all for MGSV, and vice versa. But yeah, for stealth or more "tactical" kind of games, I can't think of anything that feels better than MGSV. Handles like a dream.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
You ARE slipping over the environment and you can use mods to increase or decrease the friction.

Certainly not junky. It plays exactly how its supposed to.

Except that doesn't translate to satisfying feedback and feels like you're not properly connecting with the environment.

And Janky* it's been janky as hell since closed beta.

Deleted member 32101

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Sounds more like a framerate issue.

Every game directly controlling something is extremely clunky running with <= 30 fps.

And MGSV is one of the only 60fps TPS on consoles, so there's an obvious explanation.

e.g. GTAV 30fps vs. 60 fps is worlds apart. That's precisely the reason why I won't bother with RDR2 on consoles.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds more like a framerate issue.

Every game directly controlling something is extremely clunky running with <= 30 fps.

And MGSV is one of the only 60fps TPS on consoles, so there's an obvious explanation.

GTAV 30fps vs. 60 fps are already worlss apart. That's precisely the reason why I would never bother with RDR2 on consoles.

It's mostly the control scheme and fluidity of moving in between all the various positions. It's incredibly intuitive and fluid.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
I feel like an insane person, because I do love all these games and have played a ton of Third Person shooters.

But for some reason, Last of Us is my favorite shooter feel. I just don't like shooting things in Gears of War or MGSV, the melee is more satisfying to me.

Whereas taking someones head off with a revolver in TLoU feels very rewarding.

With that said, I still think moving around and control wise MGSV feels great.
(Don't worry I'm a game artist not a combat designer)

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Except that doesn't translate to satisfying feedback and feels like you're not properly connecting with the environment.

And Janky* it's been janky as hell since closed beta.

Cant agree with that at all. Some of the frames feel very weighty compared to others.

However, regarding the controlling of the frames, which this thread is about, its much better than MGS V.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Cant agree with that at all. Some of the frames feel very weighty compared to others.

However, regarding the controlling of the frames, which this thread is about, its much better than MGS V.

It's nowhere near the level of MSGV, and largely to do with the fact the frames don't feel like they connect with the environment.

May 26, 2018
Max Payne 3 is pretty close, but yeah, Phantom Pain's handling is dabomb. Ground Zeroes, too, except for a few wonky things like diving that they tightened up (but I love how heavy and physical the running in GZ is. PP gets slightly too floaty -- still great though)

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I love how MGSV controls, Vanquish though:

tJeXhAd.gif

For me personally the tightest controls in a TPS.
This guy/gal knows what's up.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Gameplay was great, it was just lacking environments and enough "toys".... We're not even going to get into that mean that was the story.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
MGSV felt solid to me, but the overwhelming praise it gets on these boards, as far as controls are concerned, is a bit weird to me. I remember there still being a bit of Metal Gear jank in there and not loving the feel of the weapons. It is a massive upgrade over MGS 3 and 4, but I'd still put titles like Gears of War 4 and Uncharted 4 (criminally underrated) above it on my personal list.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Except for the beginning when Snake has to drag himself on yhe floor. That was where I dropped the game lol.

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MGSV controls like sex. It's so fucking good. Say what you will about the open world structure and disjointed narrative, it controls like a goddamn dream.

This was all too apparent when I was playing RDR2 and just kept screaming at my screen ""WHY CAN'T YOU BE LIKE MGSV?!"

Coincidentally, NakeyJakey addressed this pretty well:

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I wanna ask this, did anyone play mgsv at 30 fps for at least 5h? Seems like 60 fps helps a lot for game feel rather than being best controls since sliced bread

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Saying "oh it's just 60 fps" is pretty disengenuous. If that was the case every TPS on PC would be comparable.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yet connecting with the environment, which I disagree with anyway, is not about the controls, which Warframe is better at.

It is part of the feedback you feel while controlling, which is an undeniable part of the experience.

And MGSV is better at it, by leaps and bounds, which Warframe tries to excel at more but doesn't quite make the jump.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
can't wait to see how Death Stranding character will feel like, since it's not the Fox Engine but it's the Decima Engine. Aloy was pretty good to control, tho a bit more agile to my taste, I like more heavy grounded character like Snake.

We will see.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Ghost recon wildlands is good but not better. I'm praying death stranding is as good but I think it will.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
can't wait to see how Death Stranding character will feel like, since it's not the Fox Engine but it's the Decima Engine. Aloy was pretty good to control, tho a bit more agile to my taste, I like more heavy grounded character like Snake.

We will see.
That's part of the secret sauce, I think. Snake often animates and feels grounded to the environment, but the control response is nimble. The combination of moves that hold weight but don't hinder reaction makes it a cut above. Compare it to Division or Wildlands, like anytime you're low crawling on dirt in GR you may as well be shimmying on a polished kitchen floor. There's no weight to anything in that game, making controls feel unintrusive but anemic.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Ok then.
I love MGS.
I own Ground Z and bought V at launch... and never played it.
I've never played V because I'm completely shit at controlling mc on GZ, everything is super clunky and to "win" I had to resort to mark every enemies which felt like cheating and simply gun them down, bit Rambo-ish, totally different to how I love (and was able to) approach MGS2 and 3, where I'd do the craziest stealthy stuff... so rewarding.
I've seen enough praise to know that I'm the one failing and not the game, just can't seem to be able to click with it so I need you guys' help: what's the best video series teaching how to "properly" play the game and get good?

Philia

Oct 25, 2017
SO glad to see MGSV getting some SERIOUS love in this thread. <3 I've spent close to 300 hours on that game. I've gotten platinum, done everything possible, took my time to enjoy all the challenges!

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't really agree for a few reasons.
  • The game's traversal is outright terrible. Snake is stumped by gentle slopes. Getting him to go where you want to go is more frustrating than it should be.
  • The game's melee is weightless and has essentially zero inertia meaning that once you hit the melee button Snake loses all momentum and feebly punches at the air instead of carrying the blow forward.
  • The game's interface design on PC is dismal. Performing simple actions is a clunky chore.
  • The game's gunplay is... okay. But it has that same vague sense of weightlessness that Peace Walker did. Shooting someone with bullets and shooting them with darts doesn't really feel meaningfully different.
  • The game's diving mechanic is extremely clunky and stiff compared to contemporaries. Even Max Payne 2 back in 2003 had better feeling diving.
I personally feel that a range of Third Person Shooters feel better to play on a mechanical level including Mafia III, Watch_Dogs, Max Payne 3 (Max Payne 2 even), Splinter Cell: Blacklist, and even Ghost Recon: WIldlands. Theses games (on PC at least) combine fluid movement with fluid traversal and also crisp and tactile shooting. When you fire a rifle in Mafia III, you really feel it. When you sprint towards someone and body slam them, it feels fluid and like a full grown man slamming into another full grown man in a rapid and responsive way, instead of MGS V's twitchy and weightless CQC animations.

Splinter Cell: Blacklist just plain feels better to play than MGS V. It's so much more fluid. Movement works so much better. Traversal works so much better. And the melee and shooting feel better. (Also, its GUI is way, way, way better on PC compared to MGS V.)

Last edited:

ArcLyte

Nov 1, 2017
MGSV is so god damned meticulously designed, animated, and programmed... there is so much nuance and detail that you just don't see in any other game. I can burn an entire weekend just messing around in that world because it's so enjoyable and satisfying to control. KojiPro and Fox Engine are capable of miracles and it kills me that Death Stranding isn't built on it.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
I can't really agree for a few reasons.
  • The game's traversal is outright terrible. Snake is stumped by gentle slopes. Getting him to go where you want to go is more frustrating than it should be.
  • The game's melee is weightless and has essentially zero inertia meaning that once you hit the melee button Snake loses all momentum and feebly punches at the air instead of carrying the blow forward.]

There's some issues with elevation on traversal, that's true, but on the second point, there's a running punch in the game that exemplifies your 'carrying the blow forward' better than any game you mentioned sans Watch Dogs. Calling V weightless while praising Ubisoft's games broadly is odd. Blacklist is solid, but Sam's jog is floaty and he moves slicker than Spiderman when he's climbing over things like he's 10 pounds. From 1:17 to 1:26 in your clip he glides weightlessly across the catwalk then falls into an awkward melee animation with no impact.

Watch Dogs might be a better example as I remember Aiden having some heft. Blacklist does some cool stuff with cqc animations, but again, controls to an extent that they sacrifice impact for fluidity resulting in moves that too often hit like bad movie choreography.

I mentioned in another post that it's V's ability to mesh the look of weight with the responsive action, and that's it's biggest differentiator. Something like Assassin's Creed is very smooth. It's smooth like the world is a playground of friction-less glass. I guess at that point it's subjective as to what feels better.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Disagree. Played 68 hours of MGS V and while the gameplay was great and stealth excellent, the shooting mechanics felt stiff and clunky. Personally, The Division has the best pure shooting mechanics and gunplay because it's so fluid, smooth and responsive. MGS V, not even close. Not to mention the fact that I wouldn't exactly describe MGS V as a shooter and if I did, it would probably be fourth or fifth on the list of what I believe the game is. But to each their own.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So, say this is true, why have linear shooters never able to accomplish this before? Wouldn't a linear shooter be able to focus more on those controls? Better yet, what is the science behind third person shooting controls?

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I think I have to agree with you OP. MGSV controls pretty much flawlessly and has the best gameplay of any third person game I've played of the last two generations.

immortal-joe

Oct 25, 2017
I mentioned in another post that it's V's ability to mesh the look of weight with the responsive action, and that's it's biggest differentiator. Something like Assassin's Creed is very smooth. It's smooth like the world is a playground of friction-less glass. I guess at that point it's subjective as to what feels better.

And this right here is what people seem to ignore, particularly when addressing game feel. There isn't a universal standard, we all engage with and respond to character reaction / movement / weight / animation in different ways.

As an example, I for one loved the weight, response, animation and movement in Shadow of the Colossus; it reflected a sense of constant struggle, the helplessness of the world, and the mammoth battles I was taking on, and made things more intense. It felt "right" to me.

As for the OP's argument, yes, I fully agree, MGS V's controls felt spectacular.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
I saw the thread the other day, and after mulling over it for a while, I guess I'm inclined to agree. I didn't like MGSV's story, characters, ancillary systems, structure, or even its missions, but I cannot deny that Snake controls beautifully. You always feel in control, and manage to do exactly what you want, in spite of the wealth of options at your disposal. You can tell this game was in a prototyping phase for an incredibly long time, trying to get the basics right. It's just a shame that its protracted development resulted in Konami setting ultimatums, resulting in a really uneven final product.