• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Krvavi Abadas

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Videoland
bsbe-hires.png

You might remember it being a fairly big deal when a modified version of bSNES was released that allowed this, but now it's possible to get the same enhancement on Game Boy Advance titles.

I've recorded a simple demonstration of it using the 8x scale. You can see well it manages to smooth things out!

On the preservation side of things, the update also adds support for the incredibly obscure BattleChip Gate accessory.
bcg-dialog.png

Marking the first time it's ever been emulated.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Nice!

I tried this out a fair bit in the beta release and it was glorious. As there's a surprisingly large amount of sprite scaling+rotation in several GBA games, this ends up benefiting so many titles

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
This is amazing! I love emulation so much, I just wish Nintendo would bring virtual console to Switch properly with enhancements like that.

How do I go about doing this? Is this available publicly yet?

JetstreamRorschach

One Winged Slayer
Dec 30, 2017
Zaragoza, Spain.
I literally did search about this yesterday, knowing that it was finaly made possible on SNES emulation. Can someone try it on Smashing Drive? No PC available at the moment.

OP
OP
Krvavi Abadas

Krvavi Abadas

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Videoland

It has in the nightly builds, this is the first stable release that supports it.

I wonder how Super Monkey Ball JR looks.
kaiK2To.png

Exactly the same, barring the rotation effect used in the title screen. :/
It's a game that uses voxels to render 3D effects, if i remember correctly, hence why it doesn't really work.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I am very excited to try this out on Golden Sun 1+2. Should make an incredible game even better! Thanks for the heads up. I had not heard of this before your post. And there is one for SNES games too? I need to play catch-up as I've apparently been missing a lot of large developments!

Treeblade

Oct 30, 2017
For those wondering how Golden Sun looks, I only observed a few instances where the boost to resolution actually helped. One is the battle menu icons which are smoother looking and in the rare case that a character sprite has been placed diagonally on the ground they also have sharper edges. There may be other benefits later in the game (only messed around in the prologue of GS1).

Also tried Driver 3 / Driv3r which had no real benefits in my short time with it.