• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
www.cbssports.com

Mets fire GM Jared Porter for sending explicit, unsolicited text message images to female reporter

Porter was hired by the Mets earlier this offseason

Jared Porter was fired as the general manager of the New York Mets on Tuesday morning, hours after acknowledging in a report by ESPN's Mina Kimes and Jeff Passan that he sent unsolicited sexually explicit images to a female reporter while employed by the Chicago Cubs as their director of pro scouting in 2016. An explicit image was the final message in a string of 62 consecutive unanswered texts.

"We have terminated Jared Porter this morning," Mets owner Steve Cohen announced on Twitter. "In my initial press conference I spoke about the importance of integrity and I meant it. There should be zero tolerance for this type of behavior."
Porter met the woman in a Yankee Stadium elevator in June 2016 and asked her three times to get a drink before the day was over, according to Kimes and Passan. She eventually stopped responding to his text messages, but Porter continued to text her anyway, including sending images. Here's more from Kimes and Passan, who obtained screenshots of the messages:

And they just hired him barely over a month ago.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Barely lasted a month.

Good riddance. They are trying to turn this franchise around so the last thing they need is a creep like him.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Good Lord people, no means no!

This guy is a multi-millionaire and could easily go out and ask anyone else for a date.( isn't it illegal against MLB policy to date reporters anyway?)

If it was me, if she says no the first time I'm out.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
What is the thought process that results in sending 61 text messages, with no response, and then going "ah, I know what will do the trick!"

tucah

Oct 25, 2017
Cohen's been making all the right moves as new owner, extremely glad to see him do the right thing and very quickly.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, what an asshole.

This guy was also a pretty well regarded hire at the time, right?

Deleted member 40853

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 9, 2018
I'm a Mets fan, I'm really glad they fired him instantly so this wasn't hanging over the season. What an asshole, and that poor woman. Basically bullied out of the industry and the country.

Jared Porter was really well regarded and seen as rising GM candidate for the past couple years now. Crazy this story was just sitting out there and no one really seemed to know about. Although based on the ESPN reporting, it's hard to believe the Cubs weren't aware.

TheOther

Jan 10, 2019
Texas
The Cubs and Diamondbacks supposedly knew nothing about it as well, though there are some people saying that she told a Cubs employee about it.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
"I could respect this woman's autonomy and treat her as a professional in her career............................................................ OR!"

Threadkular

Dec 29, 2017
I'm enjoying the responses to the guys tweeting "everyone's done this...". Beyond the grossness and sleaziness of it, I suppose I admire these peoples self confidence. With my Catholic shame I don't even like seeing my own penis much less subject anyone other than my spouse to it.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Imagine texting someone 62 times with no response and still thinking "a dick pic will smooth this over". Like this man is wildin.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
That's some mega thirst.

Good on the woman. She remained anonymous, wasn't from the country, didn't ask for money or damages. She did it purely to protect others.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
It takes a special kind of men to not give up after whiffing 61 times, in this case a gross pos. I had a hard time being rejected once until I was about 25, I don't recall trying twice very often.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a Mets fan, I'm really glad they fired him instantly so this wasn't hanging over the season. What an asshole, and that poor woman. Basically bullied out of the industry and the country.

Jared Porter was really well regarded and seen as rising GM candidate for the past couple years now. Crazy this story was just sitting out there and no one really seemed to know about. Although based on the ESPN reporting, it's hard to believe the Cubs weren't aware.
The Cubs and Diamondbacks supposedly knew nothing about it as well, though there are some people saying that she told a Cubs employee about it.

Considering how the Cubs had to deal with Addison Russel in 2017-2018, I will at the moment give them the benefit of the doubt when they say they were unaware. They already had that controversy hanging over them, I doubt they would have covered this up.

Now if more info comes out that proves otherwise, then damn the organization

Deleted member 40853

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Considering how the Cubs had to deal with Addison Russel in 2017-2018, I will at the moment give them the benefit of the doubt when they say they were unaware. They already had that controversy hanging over them, I doubt they would have covered this up.

Now if more info comes out that proves otherwise, then damn the organization

In the ESPN story they quote the (unnamed) Cubs employee saying they are familiar with the story and had spoken to Porter and the woman about it. The employee says this to say they did not pressure the woman to drop her story, but it does conflict with the Cubs saying they don't know anything about it.

Also worth pointing out that the events described happened in 2016-2017.

wingkongex

Aug 25, 2019
giphy.gif

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Even in my younger and dumber days I can't imagine texting someone that many times without a response. By the third or fourth text over the course of a day or two it should be clear she ain't interested.