• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 41271

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 21, 2018
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/duckblockgames/forsaken-castle

!!!!!

Whoa, this looks great, how did I miss Forsaken Castle? Female Heroine + Paladin + Exploration = WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

This thread was no mistake.

This is incorrect. I mean your specific example is correct... But you seem to be missing information from before your time so to speak, and just ASSUMING that everything falls into place, without bothering to find out. Symphony of the night was the castlevania that coined the term, but not the first castlevanias to be a metroidvania. In fact, metroid, despite being the trope starter, was not the first metroidvania. It just was such a damn good one, the budding genre became named after it.

Thanks for dudesplaining a genre I've played for decades! I sure didn't remember that Simon's Quest was my first *castlevania game*, and definitely didn't play Antiriad and Arac/Spiderbot when I was a kid, so this is all toooooooooottally new to me. *fans self* ;)

Genres usually have earlier examples that partially or entirely fit the description. Those don't mean the whole genre is limited to your overly rigid definition, though. Case in point, if some dofus were to claim that FPS games must be WW2, because some earlier WW2 shooter was set in WW2, he'd still be wrong. Metroidvania as a whole is generally used in a less rigid manner, and has been since the term was coined. That is a good thing.

Case in point, when people mention the best Metroidvania, Ecclesia rightfully gets mentioned. As it should ;)

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/duckblockgames/forsaken-castle

!!!!!

Whoa, this looks great, how did I miss Forsaken Castle? Female Heroine + Paladin + Exploration = WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Cuteseyvania! I just played the demo. Seems pretty good. Reminds me of using Richter in SOTN. I think the controls need some work, though. I didn't like how you can't duck while swinging the whip and how you lose your running speed whenever you change directions or do anything. You can't hold B and take off running coming off a jump, for example.

SweetSark

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Curse of the Moon isn't a metroidvania, though. It's linear, Castlevania III style.

Indeed, I finished the game and like many others, this is pure Castlevania. At least like the old ones.
You trying to complete level by level and finish any Boss you come across at the end.
Very good game.
However the last stage was so unfair which all honesty it would be more enjoyale without it....

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Could this style be called "Castlevanilla" to reduce confusions? No?
It should be called Castlevania and the others ones called Metroidvania. That's literally what the term Metroidvania was invented for, before it was stupidly co-opted to apply to other Metroid clones, which makes no sense since Castlevania deserves no naming rights to the Super Metroid formula it just stole whole.

Barrylocke

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone else think this plays more like Ninja Gaiden but with a Castlevania skin? Not complaining, still love it, but it certainly plays faster.

That's our winner.
Depends on who you play as. I mostly played as Miriam, and she does have the slower whip. Zangetsu is probably closer to Ninja Gaiden. Also iirc, almost all enemies die im oko hit in Ninja Gaiden, which is always not so in Curse of the Moon. That makes it a bit slower because you need to be ready to get multiple strikes off.

Oct 27, 2017
Can we count 3D metroidvanias in this

Because Remedy's CONTROL gets me all hot and bothered AND it plays like spiritual sequel to PSI OPS

OH BABY

Also anyone played Caves of Qud?

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I'm making a collection after I finish HK. I think I will play Ori. After that? Not sure. Samus Returns was such a letdown.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I'm making a collection after I finish HK. I think I will play Ori. After that? Not sure. Samus Returns was such a letdown.
I always recommend playing the games that Maze of Galious inspired to see a different direction for the genre. The name metroidvania technically doesn't apply to them since they aren't inspired by either of the two namesakes for the genre, but the name is still convenient.

In my opinion, Hollow Knight is the best "metroidvania" while La-Mulana is the best in the MoG tradition.

Oct 27, 2017
One of elements that I found interesting in Zero Mission that I keep thinking about is how the enemies follow you through the door. Which is not mindblowing now considering dark souls but when I first played it, that aspect took me by surprise.

Anywaysa

Next steam sale

Buy Ursurper and Demon's Peak!

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Have any of you guys ever gotten 100% items/secrets in a metroidvania without looking up a guide? Feels like a lot of games in this genre loves to hide secrets in absolutely absurd places. Those secrets really drags the games down in my opinion. Is it unreasonable to believe that most secrets should be able to be discovered in a normal playthrough without a guide? Or is just some weird ocd metroidvania thing I might have? (Or am I just bad at videogames?)

Generally get frustrated long before reaching 100%. Playing Samus Returns right now, and one of my favorite things about this game is the scan ability, it may seem a little cheap, but it's nice being able to find out where many items are on the first pass through an area, then coming back to get them after getting a new item. Eliminates the annoying thing where you have to bomb every pixel in other Metroid games.

I still think the counter mechanic can be annoying and think maybe it should've been reserved for bosses, but overall I really like Samus Returns. Doesn't quite compare to Super or Fusion in my mind, but I'm having a great time.

Oct 29, 2017
So, I'm about half way through Circle of the Moon and I just utterly hate the controls. Please tell me this is the worst one. The physics and everything just seem so off with this game.

Deleted member 42221

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Any reviews/impressions for Chasm so far? I'm itching for a new Metroidvania after I sucked all the blood out of Hollow Knight's adorable bug carapace. I may give Dead Cells another shot, or buy Death's Gambit if it doesn't sound good.

hypertails

Oct 25, 2017
Any reviews/impressions for Chasm so far? I'm itching for a new Metroidvania after I sucked all the blood out of Hollow Knight's adorable bug carapace. I may give Dead Cells another shot, or buy Death's Gambit if it doesn't sound good.

I'm an early access kickstarter backer, and just got to what I think is the last boss. I quite liked the game though it doesn't hit the highs of an Ori or a Hollow Knight. Gameplay wise it feels very much like a castlevania and it looks great.

I may have gotten lucky with my seed, but the most impressive thing to me is that the game flows like it was totally handcrafted despite having a procedurally generated layout comprised of handcrafted rooms. There were a couple points where I got stuck and had to scour the map to figure out how to proceed, but that happens to me in every single metroidvania at some point. It's a shame that I rarely replay games after finishing them nowadays, because it seems like the game really lends itself to multiple playthroughs and speedrunning.

I'm curious to see how it's received, given that they somehow picked the most crowded release window in a long time in terms of metroidvania or metroidvania-like releases, and I think it's the one that's the most likely to get lost in the shuffle.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Access for early access backers started on the 16th. Took me about 8 hours to finish the game, and the devs say that most people take 8-10 hours on the first playthrough.
Oh, I guess there's early access backers, and regular backers. My SO is a regular backer and only started playing it last night so I thought, damn, with how fast hypertails is, he deserves that name :)

SweetSark

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Because I know how much you love Metroid-like games, I will post this game here as well:

screenshot11.png

Hexoshi [PC]

*Quote from Dev.*
Hexoshi is a libre game generally inspired by the Metroid series. It is a work in progress, but once completed, it will be my biggest game yet, with a maze-like world spanning hundreds of individual rooms.
I intend to make this one of the greatest libre free-roaming games to date.

It have also a Demo, but didn't tried it yet. I hope it end up good.

Deleted member 20603

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So, I'm about half way through Circle of the Moon and I just utterly hate the controls. Please tell me this is the worst one. The physics and everything just seem so off with this game.

I had a fun time with the game, but some of the bosses and enemies are an exercise in frustration without summons and a ton of magic, or crosses with a bunch of hearts. The whip sucks sometimes, especially against those damned flying swords or the flying demons.

Aria of Sorrow is excellent as it gives you a variety of different weapon styles that work for different enemies. Magic is much less tedious to use and you don't find yourself spamming the same single useful spell the whole game. There are some quite useless spells, but there are many decent ones to use too. The enemies and bosses are balanced and don't feel unfair. Most of the time their movements are easy to read.

Oct 27, 2017
I have put in 10 hours into Death's Gambit and it is legit as all hell

One of the few problems were the hell do I find the merchant I can sell things to :( I have a lot of clutter I need to either sell or convert into soul stones

also are there any rewards for a heroic rematch?

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
Just did a play through of time spinner. Supposedly has several endings, pretty neat little game but way too easy.

SweetSark

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
There is a indie Castlevania-like game which got released and was just under my radar surprisingly.

lament___commission_for_radcroc_by_obsiron-db245kd.jpg

Lament, an NES styled Action-Platformer about a wolf with a buster sword!
Inspired mostly by Castlevania and Ninja Gaiden on the NES. Swing your way through countless enemies
and try to restore the cursed sword to its former glory!

Source: https://store.steampowered.com/app/598340/Lament/

Cool promotion Poster.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing more La-Mulana 2 with a friend. This is probably the most hardcore metroidvania I've ever played (and I've played about 30 of them). It's difficult in pretty much every way, with tough platforming, enemies and bosses. The difficulty is sometimes a bit bullshit too, with some rooms being particularly annoying, but... it's also fun in its own way. Progression and exploration is really on a level of its own, with enigmatic puzzles and a very nonlinear structure.

All of this doesn't make it one of my favorite metroidvanias, but it's certainly a game that fans of the genre should check out. But go in with time to spare and knowing you won't know where to go multiple times.

yungronny

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
What's the best Metroidvania with female protag other than the Metroid series itself? La Mulana 2 seems awesome but probably too intense for me...

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
What's the best Metroidvania with female protag other than the Metroid series itself? La Mulana 2 seems awesome but probably too intense for me...
Yeah, La-Mulana 2 is good but definitely intense.

Order of Ecclesia.

Song of the Deep.

Dandara.

The Shantae trilogy.

And you can play as Tostada in Guacamelee :p