• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
This essentially.
I'll happily recommend you some old games though, just tell me which platforms/era you'd like, and I (and I'm sure some others here) would be more than willing to help you out.
Having a big list of games in the OP would be great, but it also is incredibly stressful and heavily derails any sort of discussion that could be had about the genre and its games, as people only focus on what's on the list, rather than you know, talking about the games.

It's a bit difficult to split them into these two kinds of approaches, since there's some that skirt in the middle, and it'd be hard to place them.
Hollow Knight for instance uses stats, equipment (in the form of charms you can equip, that give you passive powers or change your stats etc.), and there's currency you can exchange for power-ups and such which kind of could be argued to be like experience, but it's not exactly like in the RPG-esque games because the stats are more like health, damage, and so on, and there's no actual leveling up.

No they're not:
https://www.xbox.com/en-GB/games/ori-will-of-the-wisps (scroll down to platforms)
http://store.steampowered.com/app/261570/Ori_and_the_Blind_Forest/
Anything before 2000 would be nice. Pretty sure the only ones I've beaten are Super Metroid and SOTN. So I would like to know what are some of the other top older metroidvania games. Platform doesn't matter.

Oynox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually liked the OP with the list better. In my opinion it is part of the fun, throw your opinion of a Metroidvania into the mix and see what other people think. I believe I found the most interesting games (especially Metroidvanias) in discussion about "hey, you are forgetting about this and that one!".

Anyways. Regarding 3D Metroidvanias (I know there aren't many) I really had a blast with Batman Arkham Asylum and Darksiders. Both were some of the greatest fun I had in the last console generation. Shadow Complex, as a more traditional 2D game, comes to mind as well. I played this like four times I think, thanks to new game plus. This generation the only Metroidvania which amazed me was Ori because of the gorgeous art stile and challenging plattforming portions. Unfortunately Hollow Knight does not run very well on my old laptop but I guess it would have had potential to be an amazing experience for me.

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:

Kroze

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for the links! We did a fourth episode on the topic recently, but it was less about specific titles and more about how shifts in game design paradigms following the PS1's launch put the metroidvania format/structure on ice for the better part of a decade: https://retronauts.com/article/767/symphony-of-the-night-and-the-near-death-of-metroidvania-games

Your looks at metroidvania titles is always nothing short of amazing work man!
Been loving and appreciating it forever! Keep it up!

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
As my avatar indicates I'll of course recommend Bunny Must Die. Make sure to persevere through the end, the new game plus is very good too.

OP
OP
Red Arremer

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I actually liked the OP with the list better. In my opinion it is part of the fun, throw your opinion of a Metroidvania into the mix and see what other people think. I believe I found the most interesting games (especially Metroidvanias) in discussion about "hey, you are forgetting about this and that one!".

Feel free to bring em up in the thread then. I just feel like there's not much discussion if almost all posts are just "list in OP sux".

Retronauts Metroidvania episodes for those interested. This is a good place to start if you're interested in old 8-bit Metroidvanias.

Metroidvania Origins - https://retronauts.com/article/405/retronauts-episode-104-chronicling-metroidvania

Metroidvania II The NES Years - https://retronauts.com/article/482/...ploratory-journey-into-the-metroidvania-realm

Metroidvania Beyond the NES - https://retronauts.com/article/658/...kes-metroidvania-beyond-the-bounds-of-the-nes

Thanks for the links! We did a fourth episode on the topic recently, but it was less about specific titles and more about how shifts in game design paradigms following the PS1's launch put the metroidvania format/structure on ice for the better part of a decade: https://retronauts.com/article/767/symphony-of-the-night-and-the-near-death-of-metroidvania-games

Oh awesome. I'll have to check these out!

Anything before 2000 would be nice. Pretty sure the only ones I've beaten are Super Metroid and SOTN. So I would like to know what are some of the other top older metroidvania games. Platform doesn't matter.

Legacy of the Wizard and Wonder Boy in Monster Land both are really good older games of the genre.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Then talk about the aspects of design, or what devs think about it, or expose people to games. That is what the thread is for.
Not "OMG WHY ISN'T MEGA MAN ZX IN THE OP'S LIST?!". Because if you scroll through the past 3 pages, you will see that a lot of posts are only that.
And you'll notice it's there in that post as well.
the ZX line of Megaman games were essentially at the same time a new take on megaman and dabbing into Metroid type of exploration focused gameplay.
ZX is the true experiment, it basically took levels like you would see in any Megaman games.
Cut them in 4 parts each and arrange them in an openworld manner.
The map system provided was rudimentary but once you get it, you can never get lost.
The game is also full of small missions to basically teach you the levels and how to navigate the game world.
The general progression of the game is gated by locked doors more than skills to get and there is usually always a choice between 4 bosses/levels to tackle on ala regular Megaman.

People had issues with ZX structures, complaining that it was too easy to get lost and that the Zero games were better (while forgetting that the Zero games were pretty much preparing the way ZX would be, levels are arranged in a big map and you only tackle them 1 by 1 because you were warped at the start of a section).
so they dialed it back in ZXAdvent.
Basically the game is no longer one big interconnected world, it's a set of levels you access from a hub. There is never any chance of being lost because the structure of the game never allows it.
ZXA features map similar to the one found in ZX but since the structure of the game is starshaped with a central hub, exploration is kept to a minimum.

Basically while ZX is by no means the most complex exploration based game (it's an action Megaman game with a heavy focus on patterns and enemy waves after all), it is the closer template to the metroidvania exploration based game.
ZXA is closer to early Zero games that had exploration elements but these elements were largely irrelevant to the point of the game.

They also have great music and good graphics.
ZXA being the more kitchen sink approach to the genre where ZX is really about mastering the various transformations you get.
Both games can be finished with just the base form if need be and both games (bosses included) are tailored to the skillset you have at the very beginning.

Again the point of my post never was "OP list suxxxor" but more "look at megaman ZX, it's like ZXA with a heavier focus on exploration and a more interconnected world"

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
What about the new Tomb Raider games? I think they fit fine in the 3D category of a Metroidvania just like Batman Arkham Asylum.

What do you think guys?

JasonV

Oct 25, 2017

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
I genuinely think they're just getting better as the years go on, since game devs get more games to learn from and more to 1-up each other on. Some of my favorites:

Hollow Knight - An incredible, sprawling action-adventure game with excellent combat and consistently great boss fights. Also maybe the most non-linear with rewarding exploration I've played. How the game manages to exude both quality and quantity in nearly every aspect is truly astounding to me, and although I haven't played the new updates they look like the address the few issues I had with the game.

Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition - A gorgeous platformer with brisk pacing, slick movement, and the single greatest power-up/mechanic in the subgenre imo (Bash). The game just flows from beginning to end.

Axiom Verge - A masterclass in Metroid-esque level design with really strong atmosphere and unique power-ups that I didn't see coming. The game often gets criticized for having a ton of unique weapons but only a few strong/viable ones, but I'd argue even that is leagues more interesting than just getting Super Missile pack #23 or whatever. Also has a cool secret FEZ-like layer to it.

Environmental Station Alpha - Similar to Axiom Verge, ESA exudes mystery and a unique atmosphere, and has solid level design across the board. Speaking of FEZ-like, ESA's obscure post-game rabbit hole is like nothing else I've come across in Metroidvanias.

Castle in the Darkness - Almost more straight up Castlevania than Metroidvania sometimes, but still worth including. CitD has satisfying challenge, simple yet rewarding character progression, a fun secret around every corner, and is really good about using enemy design and placement to teach the player about the nuances of the game.

Metroid Prime - Took me some thought to realize this is actually my favorite Metroid game. I won't spend a lot of time echoing the praise it has been getting for the last 17 years, so needless to say it's a wonderful distillation of the formula into a 3D space, which still has barely been done (other than the sequels). The 1-2-3 final boss punch of Ridley and the Metroid Prime phases are a fantastic finale and the prime example I go to when thinking about great boss design that utilizes all the player's abilities.

Last edited:

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Probably already been mentioned, but the upcoming Faeland(currently up for vote on SE Collective) looks pretty great.

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
Replaying symphony of the night again, so goddamn good, still my favorite metroidvania.

giphy.gif

Really looking forward to bloodstained.

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
Not feeling the first hour of Owlboy. Am I missing something? Also downloaded The Swapper and Ori.
Just going through some of the highest rated titles on steam.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Not feeling the first hour of Owlboy. Am I missing something? Also downloaded The Swapper and Ori.
Just going through some of the highest rated titles on steam.
Owlboy is beautiful and has some great moments, but overall it felt like something was missing to me, gameplay-wise.

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
What are you not feeling about it? I thought it had a really nice graphics and story, but the dungeon and boss design was lacking.
Owlboy is beautiful and has some great moments, but overall it felt like something was missing to me, gameplay-wise.
I dunno, it just didn't feel very satisfying fighting enemies. Also, I died once and got respawned right in the room I died. Lack of savepoints (?) sure is disappointing to me.

Wibblewozzer

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Aight so I'm finally getting an answer for this.
Resident Evil.
Does it qualify to be in this genre?
I'm talking about the classic ones.
They are quite different to the norm but it has all the elements.
Big areas where you have to collect an item(instead of a weapon) that allows you to explore further.
etc...
Yay or nay?
This gets back to arguing about what or what doesn't make something a Metroidvania but I doube really anyone would consider any Resident Evil game part of this genre. The main difference with what you're describing is that by items unlocking areas they're just treated the same as keys. And especially in Resident Evil games those keys are for specific doors/areas to be opened. Typically in a Metroidvania part of what most agree qualifies is that you're gaining new abilities that give you access to new areas, often with optional areas to return to in prior areas where you saw a path that was inaccessible previously without the ability.

The items in Resident Evil games serve no other purpose than to simply be a key instead of a new way to play (both in action or as a weapon).

Oct 25, 2017
Great OP! (And it was even better before limiting mentioned games to recently released ones) Thanks for the effort OP!
I think the only Metroidvanias I have ever played are Hollow Knight and Dead Cells. Hollow Knight was really really good. I think it's crazy how much quality content there is in the game for just $15. And Team Cherry have supported the game with major free updates that also add new content.
I liked the combat and movement in Dead Cells more than Hollow Knight, but in regard to almost everything else, Hollow Knight is better imo.
----
Prey is an immersive sim, but I think it can also be considered a 3D Metroidvania. Though 'power-ups' are RPG progression stuff (whether it's hacking, lifting a heavy object or turning into a small object to access previously inaccessible areas) and not something you gain after defeating a boss for example.

beelzebozo

Oct 26, 2017
ODALLUS: THE DARK CALL was a great metroidvania in the past few years. it had branching paths, areas only reachable with new upgrades, and an awesome retro nes castlevania look. i really recommend it!

Oynox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Prey is an immersive sim, but I think it can also be considered a 3D Metroidvania. Though 'power-ups' are RPG progression stuff (whether it's hacking, lifting a heavy object or turning into a small object to access previously inaccessible areas) and not something you gain after defeating a boss for example.
Oh yeah, that is still on my list as well. Thinking about it, BioShock also had some Metroidvania elements in it, I'd say.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's a bit too free-form to be considered one, you can beat the game and access 95% of areas without having any power ups/character progression. I still think it's a good recommendation to include though, because it does scratch a similar itch (and it's a great game).

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Can anyone confirm if Rabi Ribi is actually good, or does it just have a really high user rating on Steam due to the waifu factor?

Honestly it is such a pain in the ass trying to figure out if any game with anime girls in it is actually good or not.

Hmm it seems legit to me. I bought for PS4 based on ERA recommending it. The whole bunny/waifu thing is a turnoff but the gameplay is legit. Seems like a massive game with tons of upgrades and locked off areas. Bosses are tough there is platforming and a good deal of bullet hell enemies too. Very satisfying game that unfortunately has bunnies and boobs that were completely unnecessary tbh

OP
OP
Red Arremer

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Great OP! (And it was even better before limiting mentioned games to recently released ones) Thanks for the effort OP!

Thank you! As I mentioned in the thread, I kind of felt forced to remove the list of older games because the thread only became about the list rather than anything else.

I will add it to the list.

ODALLUS: THE DARK CALL was a great metroidvania in the past few years. it had branching paths, areas only reachable with new upgrades, and an awesome retro nes castlevania look. i really recommend it!

I was a bit apprehensive about adding Odallus because of its level structure, but I guess it could also be argued to be one due to the stages themselves being quite vast.

This is Cenote, another one in development.

It shall be in the OP.

InteractiveSoftwareUser

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Metroidvania is a bit of a misnomer the way it's used today.

I always thought that Metroidvania was a term invented to describe Iga's Castlevanias that took the connected-but-initially-gated level design and progression system of the Metroid-series and added RPG-elements and stats. But at some point it became the term for all Metroid-style games.

Many games labelled Metroidvania only feature the connected-but-initially-gated level design and progression system but not the RPG stuff. They should merely be called Metroid-likes IMO. -vania doesn't enter into it when a game doesn't take anything from Iga-vanias except for what was already in Metroid.

Alas, this ship has long sailed and the entire genre will continue being called Metroidvania. Just my two cents.

ForteanMan

Oct 25, 2017
Dongguan, China
Thanks for making this thread OP! I'm playing through Shantae and the Pirate's Curse on Switch at the moment. I can't wait to play Hollow Knight when it finally releases on Switch, heard all of the raving about the game. It's on Steam at the moment, but I'm trying my best to hold out.

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
Metroidvanias are one of my favorite genres. I need to do my yearly replay of Aria of Sorrow.
Actually, the timing on this thread is perfect because I've recently been in a Castlevania mood.

I still need to slacker back Bloodstained. Seems like it's shaping up to be pretty awesome.

Aria of sorrow is legit the best metroidvania ever.

OP
OP
Red Arremer

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The soundtrack could be better, but it's easily my favorite as well. It just never gets old to me.

The soundtrack is legit great, it just suffers from being on the GBA's pretty lackluster soundchip. I recommend trying to find some arrangements on Youtube. Top Floor is one of the best tracks in the series.

Dec 3, 2017
Replaying symphony of the night again, so goddamn good, still my favorite metroidvania.

giphy.gif

Really looking forward to bloodstained.

Don't forget that iga was "assistant director" on SOTN and wasn't even the director of the game, and his portable games were all vastly inferior to it. That combined with the insipid graphics shown so far...

iu

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the detailed list OP

Ive been trying to keep up and follow many of these games and its really nice to have them all in one place and have a topic dedicated to them

Ignore the posters that are bent on arguing what is and isnt a metroidvania

They can make their own topic for that. Im just happy to have an active topic and list dedicated to tracking games made in similar styling

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
In case anyone missed it, Hollow Knight is on sale on Steam and Steam World Dig 2 is free on Twitch Prime for people with their Amazon Prime accounts linked to Twitch.

Fou-Lu

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished Iconoclasts and I liked it a lot, but didn't think it was particularly good at being a Metroidvania. You got few upgrades other than the tweak system which was nearly pointless. Good story and characters in an interesting world though!

I am thinking of going back to play some of the Castlevania games I have missed over the years.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
How have I missed this thread?

The next Metroidvania I play has its work cut out for it, Hollow Knight was top tier.
Maybe I should ease them back in with that momodora thing I downloaded and then kinda forget to ever start.

Mcjmetroid

Oct 28, 2017
Limerick, Ireland
It's my favourite genre. The best recent one I played is Steamworld dig 2. It's just a little short which seems to be the only thing that hurts these games.

Any metroid fan owes it to themselves to play AMR2 though. The fan remake of Metroid 2: it's amazing and extremely challenging and has some amazing ideas of its own. It might be a little too hard for it's own good sometimes but it's designed for Metroid Purists.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
Don't forget that iga was "assistant director" on SOTN and wasn't even the director of the game, and his portable games were all vastly inferior to it. That combined with the insipid graphics shown so far...

iu
I'm setting myself up for GBA/DSVania but with fresher assets. With that in mind I should hopefully be fine.