• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
To the people calling this Incelvania, the word incel means what you think it means.

The humor in the trailer fell incredibly flat for me.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I am? Like, you're right, you only get one chance to make a first impression, so for me, I'm lucky that my first impression for the people making this game came with Bioshock, because it established a rapport of trust in the end product that led me to play two more Bioshock games (both of which were not winners, by the way) and then Perception. I don't understand how my acknowledgment that I was personally fortunate to have dodged what seems to have been a pretty lethal bullet for a lot of folks in this thread is being disingenuous. I just also think that people's reactions here betray a lack of having looked at the whole campaign.
Yes you are though perhaps not intentionally. You may have just missed the forest for the trees, hopefully I can explain how it appears from my point of view.

Firstly, you initially asked why people were dismissing it related to your own personal knowledge and feelings about the developer. I tried to get you to disengage from your knowledge of the dev and just watch the video as a promotional item stand alone that most people would have done coming into this thread to answer that question and you skirted my query completely.

Secondly you dodged the first impressions point regarding the trailer to a previous work you knew about that most people wouldn't as if that justifies this games first impression on people and I find it a bit hard to believe you didn't understand what I meant by that, but maybe you did as I didn't elaborate. Most people here don't have the information you apparently do so won't be making judgments with that in mind.

You know them personally. I understand that, they may have worked on content previously that was acclaimed, that's wonderful. I'm not questioning their career, personalities, situation or work ethic. That's not relevant to your initial post of confusion regarding peoples responses to the trailer. If you really want to understand you need to try and look at it as a fresh pair of eyes rather than your own, put yourself in their shoes as it were. What you're doing though is being defensive rather than impartial about the content, if you aren't willing to look at how other people are viewing it then you will never understand why they are thinking the way they do and I believe it's clouding your judgement.

I can't explain myself any clearer than that. I'm not attacking you or the dev, I wish the best for them, I'm a big supporter of indies and metroidvanias generally even if this one thus far is a no go for me.

I just don't think you can perceive things from a different point of view to answer your own question.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
feels like a sloppy mix of a metroidvania and disappointing horny game giving me creepo depot vibes

LordHuffnPuff

Doctor Videogames at Allfather Productions
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
webernet
Yes you are though perhaps not intentionally. You may have just missed the forest for the trees, hopefully I can explain how it appears from my point of view.
(clip)

Yeah, okay, I see what you're saying. I think if I had just found it without knowing anything about the folks making it I still wouldn't have had the extreme negative reaction others had (I would have read the whole project though before watching the trailer, instead of just starting with the trailer and noping out.) Like I said, the game doesn't actually seem to my taste, but I would probably have gone "huh, well, that's kind of neat. I hope it does well." That's how I reacted to the Boyfriend Dungeon game which seems very superficially to be similar to this, in any case. I don't find the trailer repulsive or lacking humor or anything like some of the others do, I just don't think this is the style of game I'd normally be into.

Stanng243

Oct 25, 2017
I wish them all the luck. I'm not in a position to support them financially right now. I don't understand how someone can call that incel bait when it has same sex relationships. If the game gets made, I'll be picking it up.

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
Update #1:

WOW, what a day! Hitting nearly 25% funding in the first day was HUGE and it's all thanks to YOU! We are so grateful for your pledges, support, and enthusiasm!

And we want you to know that we listen! Yesterday we got an overwhelming amount of love, but something we heard loud and clear was that you folks are STOKED for the prospect of a female playable Drac! Right now, it's at a 400k stretch goal, and we aren't funded yet, BUT there's been such a huge response that we are considering moving her up a bit to a lower stretch goal. We want you to know we take in all your feedback and see what we can do!

Right now, we are working hard to get funded and get FemDrac going. What you can do is help us get the word out! We KNOW there is a niche for this game, and chances are if YOU are into it, people you know will be, too! So message your friends, link us to streamers or other folks you admire who you think will like this. Let's "spread the love" for Romancelvania and get this thing funded quick so we can get those stretch goals you're excited about!

[...]

The bottom line is that if we get more love and support, we can make a better game, and with a bigger audience, we can listen to more feedback to improve everything we're doing. Thank you, again, for believing in this cheeky, fun, unique game!

We at the Deep End are doing everything we can right now to make this a reality, so please, reach out if you have any questions or need anything from us to help make this better. We're also happy to do interviews, podcasts, etc, so if you are a creator, let's chat!

[...]

Please keep the feedback coming! It genuinely helps us to know what is (and is not) resonating with people from the game, what might be confusing in the campaign, and also what additional things you'd like to see.

Let's keep this momentum going! Here's to an exciting day 2 and beyond!

-Amanda, Narrative Director

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
Update #6:

They're adding the Female Drac as a playable character from the get-go, no longer as a stretch goal:

Female Drac!

9ad149214e46b1f45ef1d415ff9f06c6_original.PNG

Fangtastic!
Our fantastic concept artist Melody Cheng really pushed along with you all for a playable femDrac, and we asked Mel to bring her to life for you. We were surprised and elated at how many people were into the idea of playing as a female Drac - we had no idea this would be so popular! So we shifted a bunch around and we're going move Female Drac as a playable option out of our stretch goal and into the current funding.

What do you think? If you're in our backer Discord, you had a sneak peak. We hope you love her as much as we do! SO, who's dressing as her tonight? ;)

Secondly, we listened to your requests and created a new ADD ON! For $70, you get all 8 of our exclusive pins! Wear your love of Romancelvania on your sleeve, literally!

Anyway, we think this is a great way to kick off Halloween weekend, right? Are you dressing up? Here at The Deep End, our family will go as Starlight and Homelander from The Boys, and our kids will be a banana, a knight, and two spooky guys with masks (our older boys aren't interested in real costumes anymore!) What are you all doing?

Anyway, enjoy! Spread the word, share the gameplay, dress as (either) Drac, and have a great Halloween! :D

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
So, the game came out and it.. kinda sucks? And not in a vampire pun way.

Probably one of the worst on-boarding experiences I've had in recent games. Everything is confusing and unexplained. There doesn't appear to be an in-game map, which is baffling for a game that is self-described as being half-Metroidvania.

An hour or so in somebody says "meet me at the stage", and I have no fucking idea if any of the three stage-like areas I've already passed are the specific "stage" they want me to go to, or if there's another stage somewhere in the warren of unclear, map-less geometry they've set up.

The dating sim structure isn't very clear, either. I just met three people and they each gave me a quest, and then the game immediately demanded I boot one, and it's unclear if I can do their quests now, or if the story will proceed, or what.

Pretty disappointed so far!