• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Well I thought the name was terrible but the trailer makes it worse, i'm normally willing to at least try most Metroidvanias but I wouldn't touch this with a standard issue 12 foot barge pole.

Medusas Head " I know how you can put me to use" or whatever the line was. I mean really? Jesus the cringe.

killdatninja

Oct 26, 2017
This is what happens when a developer looks through his book of ideas from middle school. Gameplay looks ehhh but the title and story are not my cup of tea. Cautiously keeping an eye out, probably wouldn't scoop up for more than a few bucks based on the trailer.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Idk, kinda cute ..

1-team.png
bf1e7949-eba0-4e44-8b9f-e7c2ee462e1b_text.gif

... But seriously, no thanks.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Monster Prom hit this kind of vibe/humor better? And in a genre that makes more sense for it.

And we already have the definitive work on this subject from Unraveled:

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
This looks dumb as hell and I'm already in love.

Also was that an Olive Garden in the background?

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
What was that semi-high profile parody game from a while ago, Matt Hazard?
Getting some serious vibes of that from this.

I was actually OK with the title and the ridiculous concept, but the trailer killed all interest. The writing... Oof.

LordHuffnPuff

Doctor Videogames at Allfather Productions
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
webernet
Y'all are dunking on this game but the last game from this studio was pretty splendid and knowing the talent behind it I fully expect it to be quality.

Disclaimer: I know the folks making this professionally and while that obviously biases me, I have full confidence in this based on their prior public work.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that it presumably has a good amount of gay options is interesting and makes it harder for me to peg the game down. Would be much easier to throw it in the incel trash corner if they weren't there.

I think the idea/setup is fun, but the humor isn't gelling with me. The Gameplay also looks.... Preliminary and in need of polish. Dunno. I'm open minded. if I hear good things later, I'll look more into it. Good luck to the campaign!

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Sounds like two Nintendo platformer levels because they really like their puns

Magnet

Oct 29, 2017
bulidhdjra.png

The gameplay footage seems competent enough, but typos like this slipping through makes me wary about the level of quality control in general. The Kickstarter link in the YouTube description also seems to be broken in some way since it doesn't go to the project.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Well I thought the name was terrible but the trailer makes it worse, i'm normally willing to at least try most Metroidvanias but I wouldn't touch this with a standard issue 12 foot barge pole.

Medusas Head " I know how you can put me to use" or whatever the line was. I mean really? Jesus the cringe.

I imagine it was a Castlevania reference, seeing as Medusa Heads are commonplace. Having it as a hadouken attack the player uses is silly.

I think it's trying to be a parody in a way that's really not funny. All of the humor misses.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
I imagine it was a Castlevania reference, seeing as Medusa Heads are commonplace. Having it as a hadouken attack the player uses is silly.

I think it's trying to be a parody in a way that's really not funny. All of the humor misses.
Oh I'm aware, big Castlevania fan :)

It's the humour reference of using her as a sex toy I am gobsmacked by. As you say, every last bit of the humour misses the mark completely.

I'm stunned how bad that trailer was.

Y'all are dunking on this game but the last game from this studio was pretty splendid and knowing the talent behind it I fully expect it to be quality.

Disclaimer: I know the folks making this professionally and while that obviously biases me, I have full confidence in this based on their prior public work.
This trailer is the selling point they are using though. Friendships and record aside do you think this was good promotional material?

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Hmm, the idea itself is actually quite interesting, but nothing in that trailer sold me.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Looking over this more with friends I backed the Physical PS5 version.

The fact that you have your weapons and armor date to upgrade them is hilarious and brilliant. I can't wait for this game and I hope it does well

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, there is a stretch-goal to play as a woman main-character, but it's all the way up at $400K, which I'm not overly optimistic about. Oh well, I guess I'll try my luck.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
It looks bad and has a bad title that could wrap around be good.

I don't get people calling it out as incel based considering the diversity in options that are being offered. That seems just as try hard as the title they're trying to mock.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
It looks bad and has a bad title that could wrap around be good.

I don't get people calling it out as incel based considering the diversity in options that are being offered. That seems just as try hard as the title they're trying to mock.

Yeah I think people either don't know what incels are or didn't read the Kickstarter page. It's clearly trying to be a raunchy comedy.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
This is clearly a parody and I'm impressed it has same sex options, not seeing why there is so much hate

petitmelon

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
That was pure cringe and this is a gal who unironically adores romance games and cheeky humor. The longer it went on the worse the "humor" became.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I think I liked it? Or at least the idea of it? It's got a lot of memorable personality and a somewhat unique elevator pitch.

LordHuffnPuff

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
webernet
This trailer is the selling point they are using though. Friendships and record aside do you think this was good promotional material?
I think it looks pretty solid given the fact that this is a family studio of a husband, wife, and kids (and maybe a few other employees, they clearly have a lot of artists but those are usually contract gigs in a studio like this.) As somebody who has shipped a game out of my house and is currently working on another, producing something under those conditions is already tough enough. It's pretty laughable that people are dismissing it as "incel trash" or whatever given that the core dev team is literally a married couple.

I also think it looks rough, but it's an early kickstarter dev video. It shows you the idea for the game, that they have enough of a product to show off gameplay segments, and that combined with past track record should give consumers the confidence to make a decision. That said, past performance is a huge factor. If you're worried about the writing, well, look at the writing in Perception, which won several awards at various festivals for Best Narrative. Or listen to any of the talks that Amanda Gardner has given at GDC or GaymerX or Narrascope about the writing process and style.

So yeah I guess it might be terrible, any game in development can be terrible, devs I love have made games I hate. But the immediate dismissal out of hand seems wild to me.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Looks silly and horny, like an Elvira movie or something. If it's $10 I'll consider it.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not, in theory, opposed to the idea of a Hunie Pop style raunchy Metroidvania, but this doesn't look too interesting right now. It would need some seriously good art and writing.

LordHuffnPuff

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
webernet
You're being disingenuous with this response. Clearly this is too personal for you to understand the points I was trying to make so I'm going to pull out of this conversation.
I don't think I am? Like, you're right, you only get one chance to make a first impression, so for me, I'm lucky that my first impression for the people making this game came with Bioshock, because it established a rapport of trust in the end product that led me to play two more Bioshock games (both of which were not winners, by the way) and then Perception. I don't understand how my acknowledgment that I was personally fortunate to have dodged what seems to have been a pretty lethal bullet for a lot of folks in this thread is being disingenuous. I just also think that people's reactions here betray a lack of having looked at the whole campaign.

The actual game itself doesn't look super to my taste, but I just don't think it looks bad in the way a lot of folks here seem to. My prior first impression is why I gave it a look in the first place!

Oct 25, 2017
It's so cheesy, but I can't say that I hate the humor. I wouldn't buy something like this without an absolutely glowing review, but it doesn't look terrible or mean spirited (the opposite actually). The portraits for the mc actually have a lot of character.