• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The hardest choices requires the strongest wills

• Metroid Prime

Votes: 705 54.6%
  • Resident Evil 4

Votes: 586 45.4%

• Total voters

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Love both games equally, but I think it takes more guts to pull off something like Metroid Prime vs RE4, which is why I vote for Metroid Prime.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I'll go with Prime because it stuck to the roots of the series. RE4 ruined Resident Evil for like 12 years.

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
They're both just solid games in my book so no real heart in the fight. I guess Metroid Prime because of the music and level design.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
I will not vote. I can't choose. Both are some the best games ever made.

But, I'm leaning towards Prime. The Ball mechanics and level design are towers above anything available today.

Meanwhile, RE4 takes you to unthinkable places meaning it's very memorable..

I dunno.

Gusy

Oct 27, 2017
The thing is that RE4 is one of the greatest games of all time...

but Metroid Prime is the greatest game of all time.. so..

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I liked Metroid Prime enough to play through it once. I've never finished any of its sequels, although I've started both, and they seem like decent games.

I liked RE4 enough that I started replaying it immediately after beating it the first time. I never do that.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Both 10/10 masterpieces for me, but the nod goes to RE4 for being the greatest action game ever made. RE4 has no lulls in the action, it's the best paced game ever and it influenced shooters going forward. It's the mark I use to judge all TPS and none have come close.

MP is sublime though, the best of all Metroids and I want more so badly.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Wow this is a tough one but nod goes to RE4.

I will also get ahead of the game and start thinking of the Chrono Trigger vs Final Fantasy VI thread winner now.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Resident Evil 4, but the true ranking is:

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes > Resident Evil 4 > Metroid Prime

J2d

Oct 26, 2017
I think and hope I could still appreciate metroid prime. RE4 is not and enjoyable experience anymore for me however.

Neuroxia

Mar 31, 2019
Metroid Prime for me. It's the perfect migration from 2d side scroller to 3d shooter and great fun altogether.

Resident Evil 4 is a good game, but kinda overrated. In my opinion Kill Switch did more both with over the shoulder camera and the cover system.

pinkurocket

Oct 26, 2017
RE4 is a great game but it doesn't feel as iconic as Metroid Prime. The atmosphere, storytelling, gameplay.. It's just the best. Nothing beats Metroid Prime for me.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Color me pleasantly surpised at the poll results. RE4 is great and all, but it's got nothing on Prime. I honestly expected RE4 to win with ease.

brenobnfm

Sep 28, 2019
Funny how PS2 dominated the generation but between the 3 best games (Metroid Prime, RE4 and Ninja Gaiden Black) it only had a lesser version of RE4.

byDoS

Oct 25, 2017
The 2 best games of that generation, and I have both in my personal top 10 GOATs.

Prime is unmatched, though.

monali

Mar 8, 2020
Both are masterclasses, but Prime sadly is just a tedious Super Metroid for me, it made the transition from 2d to 3d spectacularly yet it neglected the fundamental difference between a big 2d map and 3d one, the movement of that game coupled with the SCANNER made an otherwise masterpiece into a tedious game, RE4 on the other hand is a game I have no issues playing over and over again.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Only on Era where a poll like this isn't one sided in RE4's favor :P

What I played of MP was great. Need to go back and actually finish it. RE4 is a timeless GOAT.

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Easily RE4 for me, I still replay it at least yearly. Not ashamed of how many platforms I own it for either.

Metroid Prime is a fantastic game in its own right, but I clearly prefer the impeccable gameplay loop RE4 delivers. Gameplay wise they're not very comparable.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
I mean the answer's right there in the OP, the almighty metacritic has chosen and MP is the winner.

For real though– what's with the attempts at acting like like there's a definitive answer here? It's a matter of opinion and preference between two all time greats, don't try to measure this based on legacy + influence.

RXM027

Dec 18, 2020
Prime. I only played it close to a decade after it came out, and it still blew me away. I always preferred classic survival horror RE, so I never cared that much for RE4. Plus, RE4 popularized QTEs, and instant death QTEs in particular. Bleh.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Only on Era where a poll like this isn't one sided in RE4's favor :P

What I played of MP was great. Need to go back and actually finish it. RE4 is a timeless GOAT.
If the poll was ever one sided in RE4's favor, it would be because those people haven't played Prime lol.

Thankfully lots of people here have. Probably not as much as played RE 4 (one is on three consoles, the other is on like 10+) so prime winning is very telling of its quality

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
glad to see Metroid winning, if not by much.

RE4 is perfect and wonderful but overstays it's welcome by a ton, the whole Island was unnecessary.

and no, "key hunting" at the end of prime doesn't take nowhere near as long