• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The hardest choices requires the strongest wills

• Metroid Prime

Votes: 705 54.6%
  • Resident Evil 4

Votes: 586 45.4%

• Total voters
Oct 28, 2017
Battle of the Gamecube Titans. 2 of the greatest games of all time were at a point exclusive the purple lunchbox.

Metroid+Prime+01.jpg

Metacritc 97

IGN
"From the amazingly polished gameplay design to the gorgeous visuals and atmospheric soundtrack, Metroid Prime is unquestionably a must-have masterpiece and a show horse that all forthcoming adventure titles will be judged by."

VS

Metacritic 96

Electronic Gaming Monthly
Score

I don't care how sky-high your expectations are, RE4 will blow them away again and again. 2005's Game of the Year might have come out just 11 days into it.

(Did we have this thread already?)

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
Prime transitioned one of the best 2D games of all time to 3D and somehow made it better.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RE4 changed third person shooters forever.

Though I don't really care about the game itself so Metroid Prime for me.

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020
Good lord... both games are so fantastic. RE4 is probably the most fun RE game by far, but it definitely loses momentum near the end and it is not nearly as scary as the previous entries.

Metroid prime transformed a 2D game into a first person FPS in such an amazing way. I was one of the skeptics who thought that they were gonna screw it up, but it still plays and looks beautifully to this day.

Overall I think that RE4 is more fun, but Prime is more impressive

Apr 21, 2018
I think RE4's influence is felt a lot (lot) more today.
But I voted Metroid Prime because it is sublime. Every part of that game is absolute perfection to me. The music. The lore. The bosses. The sense of isolation and emotion.

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's tough RE4 redefined 3rd person shooters but Metroid Prime has still, in my opinion, not been matched as a 3D Metroidvania. Prime is my favorite game so I'll obviously go with that but it's easy to argue for either game.

Oct 27, 2017
Well RE4 didn't end with a fetch quest, so I actually beat it, so it gets the nod
I really did like MP though, but I played it over so long a period, by the time I got to the end I had forgotten how to navigate around the world

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
While I hate its island section...

I would vote for RE4. It changed a genre forever, in its entirety. Most if not all modern third person shooters are direct descendants of RE4, one way or another.

JustinBailey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Prime had higher highs. But Resident Evil 4 almost never relinquished a constant high I never wanted to end.

Trundl_e

Jan 30, 2021
One completely changed the path of its franchise going forward, but the other changed an entire genre of games.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I've tried to play RE4 after playing RE2 and 3 remake and I could kinda feel the age.

Prime on the other hand, instantly became my GOAT when I played it 10 years after it released. It's ageless

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Metroid Prime isn't even the best Prime, and yet I could still let myself get absorbed in that world for hours if I return to it. It's barely aged at all since release.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Loved both at the time. RE4 is perhaps more influential or more in line with modern 3P action games... But only Prime really holds up today. Also it's perfect. So, Prime.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
This was an easy choice for me, because I was never enamored with the Prime games like so many are. To me the series peaked with Super Metroid. The atmosphere in Prime was pretty good I suppose...it was just everything else surrounding it that I didn't enjoy, especially the perspective and combat.

Oct 25, 2017
Prime, easy. Master class in environment design. It's one of the most atmospheric games I've ever played.

RE4 didn't play well to me on GC, I will say it benefited from the Wii pointer controls more than Prime did.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
If you'd asked me 18 years ago, I would've said Resident Evil 4. It's still obviously one of the best games ever made. Hugely influential.

But, now, I think I'd lean Metroid Prime. I think it's aged more gracefully than RE4 has.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
This was an easy choice for me, because I was never enamored with the Prime games like so many are. To me the series peaked with Super Metroid. The atmosphere in Prime was pretty good I suppose...it was just everything else surrounding it that I didn't enjoy, especially the perspective and combat.
I like Prime more than you but I agree the series also peaked for me with Super Metroid.

As good as Prime was RE4 just felt like a bigger deal at the time.

Man it is hard to describe how good RE4 was on release. Totally surprised everyone with how it looked, played, etc.

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I'm dying to play prime, never tried more than 10 minutes of it (looking at you nintendo please release them on switch!), but RE:4 changed the industry more or less, everything after that was a over the shoulder shooter, that game's impact is still felt to this day, whereas I'm not sure the same thing can be said for metroid prime

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
MP and absolutely no contest. No dev has really been able to accomplish what Retro did there, and it's kind of looking like no one ever will again.

RE4 is amazing, but its accomplishments are just less impressive than MP.

hasher

Oct 10, 2020
There have been a bunch of games released since RE4 that do RE4 and improve on it. As far as I'm concerned, nothing has been able to do what Metroid Prime did, let alone improve on it.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
MP and absolutely no contest. No dev has really been able to accomplish what Retro did there, and it's kind of looking like no one ever will again.

RE4 is amazing, but its accomplishments are just less impressive than MP.
exactly.

It's not a slight on Prime that more games have taken after RE4.

It's just THAT hard to nail Prime the way retro did, so I don't blame other devs for not even trying to.

RE4 changed TPS' and has since been improved upon, nobody has improved upon Prime and no one needs to. It still holds up phenomenally well. That's kinda why I want prime 4 to be a rehash lol - we just don't get anything like Prime these days.

ace3skoot

Dec 3, 2018
Both games are so different why put the against each other? There both phenomenal đź‘Ź

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
Loved both, but I've bought re4 like 8 times now and played it like 20.

I've only bought and played mp twice, so re4 wins

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Both are good games that drag on too long but Prime's filler bothers me more so I voted RE4. Super Metroid and REmake rank higher.

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
Prime. It's a pretty unique franchise and nothing since has come close to the same feeling.

While RE4 is an important game in history, I don't put it on a pedestal like others do. I think a lot of games have taken the RE4 formula and improved on it or taken it in new directions.

TeeKoo

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 22, 2020
As much as I love Re4, Metroid Prime is just too good. There's still nothing like it. So vote for MP.

WildGoose

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't actually that difficult for me, RE4 is like my second or third least fav RE. Prime has the GOAT soundtrack and it's held up better than RE4 when it comes to the actual world and gameplay, it's not really a contest imo

Jan 2, 2021
Retro must have been full of wizards, because Metroid Prime feels so far ahead of its time. Nearly 20 years later, and that game still holds up incredibly well.

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
The combat in Prime isn't really engaging and a lot of it is bloated.

Doom Eternal has a lot of Prime-like qualities (to the people saying that there is nothing else like it)

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Metroid Prime is the best Metroid game.

Resident Evil 4 is the best game ever made. No seriously RE4 is THAT good.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
RE4 and it's not even close.