• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP with step by step guide on setting up Primehack. Updated 11/5/2022 due to images missing in OP due to host aging them out.

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
Intro:

For years I had wanted to play the Metroid Prime series but for whatever reason never got around to playing it even though I owned the Trilogy version on the Wii and Wii U. I have been a long time user of the Dolphin Emulator but due to the first person motion controls and performance issues playing the series on the emulator never really was something that you could do.

Fast forward to last year. I posted a thread here asking the status of playing the series on Dolphin and Solid clued me in on the specialized fork of Dolphin called Primehack. It was made to specifically optimize Dolphin to run the games using the mouse and keyboard, and included several quality of life upgrades such as being able to adjust the FOV. It truly was a revelation.

I finally played through Metroid Prime on Primehack at 4k 60 FPS and with a texture pack to make the game look amazing. I am playing through Prime 2 at the moment and its also amazing. I cannot recommend enough using this method to play the games. Once you use the mouse and keyboard with this it is impossible to go back.

End result of setting everything up

Also since I am starting my first ever play through of MP2 again here is the opening of that game as well:

Prerequisites

Below you will find a step by step guide to get the game running. Some things you will need before we start:

A computer that can run the game. My specs are as follows but I was able to run the game on lesser hardware when I played through Prime 1.

Intel 11600k
32 GB RAM
Nvidia RTX 3080
Win 10

A copy of the trilogy. Piracy is illegal and is not supported. If you try to get help with a pirated copy I will not assist and neither will the developers of Primehack.

PRIMEHACK DOLPHIN DOWNLOAD AND INSTALLATION

Download the Primehack fork of Dolphin from https://github.com/SirMangler/PrimeHack-Updater/releases

Install where ever you would like.

I highly recommend creating a blank text file named portable.txt in the main folder for Dolphin. This will cause the configuration of the emulator to save in the same folder as the emulator instead of saving it in your users folder. This is extremely helpful if you plan on running normal Dolphin for other games.

Open Dolphin.

Choose not to automatically open Prime Trilogy if prompted.

Once installed choose where you have the game saved at when prompted.

CONFIGURATION UPDATED 10/21/2021

Below is my Dolphin configuration. Please note I have only posted the sections that I made some changes in. Obviously your performance using the settings below will depend on the power of your PC. If you experience performance issues lower the settings such as Internal resolution:

uoWnj3z.jpeg

LBKHCcI.jpeg

1PpJ2QZ.jpg

twb5U08.jpg

ZG8XWkf.jpg

C5inKhN.jpg

zWCnZxY.jpg

SddzUm8.jpg

2110220827010129.png

2110220828030100.png

2110220828540108.png

Lastly right click the game in the main menu and go to Properties. Make sure you general tab looks like mine below:

mFyh5Gs.jpg

Now you should be good to go in regards to setup. Obviously you can change the controls to your liking!

EXTRAS

TEXTURE PACKS

There are multiple texture packs available to make the game look better. Please note you should only install these if you have a powerful rig and already are having no issues with performance. To install a texture pack follow the directions below per https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-how-to-install-texture-packs-custom-textures-info:

LINKS TO THE TEXTURE PACKS I INSTALLED:

https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-metroid-prime-1-2-3-and-trilogy-hd-texture-pack

https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thre...-hd-interface-textures-v-1-6-december-05-2020

UPDATED 10/21/2021 UNIVERSAL DYNAMIC INPUT TEXTURE PACK

Credit goes to Abaddon for making me aware of this. Essentially this texture pack automatically detects your controller configuration and inserts the mouse button and key textures to override the ones in game. It is extremely helpful since you can map the keys to your liking and still have the correct keys show up in game. Note that if you have any inputs set to 2 different keys you will need to define just 1 key or the texture pack will just show a ? for that key in game.

https://github.com/Venomalia/UniversalDynamicInput

Auto HDR NEW AS OF 10/21/2021

Credit goes to Puppulent Succulent for making me aware of this. If you are running Windows 11 if you turn on HDR and auto HDR it makes a significant visual difference for MPT. Please note you will need to make sure to select Direct X 12 for this to work in your graphics settings. See below for my HDR settings in Windows 11. Please note you have to have Windows 11 to have the Auto HDR feature.

2110220838530117.png

SAVE FILES

A very useful feature is you can import Wii saves into Dolphin. To import saves into Dolphin go to tools > import wii save and point to the save you download.

I am going to link to 2 different saves and give a description of each:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/wii/960329-metroid-prime-trilogy/saves/22827 I recommend at the bare minimum to use this save if you are wanting to 100% the game. As you play the game you get credits as you play. That being said there are different categories for the credits are for friend vouchers which only could be collected by connecting to the Wii online system which obviously has been down for years. This save will start you off with 0 progress in your save but with the 15 friend credits so you are able to 100% the game.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/wii/960329-metroid-prime-trilogy/saves/19673 Per Solid recommendation I have linked a save that is 100% complete. This save would be for someone who wants to be able to play hyper difficulty right away (it's locked first play through), or don't want to scan everything.

GREEN DOT IN MIDDLE OF SCREEN WHEN IN MORPH BALL MODE

When increasing internal resolution above the native game resolution a tiny green dot is visible in the middle of the screen in morph ball mode. There is a fix for this. It has came out so there can be side effects to it. Also if you use the texture packs are installed that I linked above you will need to remove the .dds file that are named the same as the files you install for this fix or the dot will remain.

My recommendation if you are new to emulation is to leave it be. If you want to install this fix please check out the announcements section of the discord (discord is linked below)

SUPPORT WIKI

The link below will take you to the wiki created by the devs to support the emulator. Check there for fixes for issues.

https://github.com/shiiion/dolphin/wiki

PRIMEHACK DISCORD

The link below will take you to the discord created by the devs to support the emulator. Check there for fixes for issues.

https://discord.gg/hYp5Naz

That's it folks! I look forward to hearing feedback on this guide and how the game is running for you!

Last edited:

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I tried to play Trilogy two days ago and ended up dusting off the old Wii to dump my GC version instead.

Almost got it to work perfectly but never managed to bring up the scanner in-game. I should try again using this tutorial but now I reached Magmoor Cavern and don't want to start all over. :(

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Nice thread, thanks! I just got a new 1440p monitor, so this would be a good way to break it in (even if I can't utilize the 240Hz refresh lol).

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Thank you for posting this, I have the original trilogy on disk and I couldn't really get into it using the original controls so I dropped it.

Will try it this way this weekend for sure.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I played it in 2017 on Dolphin using the Dolphin bar, 1080p/60fps and it was amazing, never had an issue. I'll install the texture packs next time!

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
Thanks saw the previous thread but thought I'd wait but I guess it's time to jump in and try this now.

Already have Metroid Prime Collection and I really doubt Nintendo will do anything noteworthy with eventual Metroid Prime Collection for Switch, bet it'll be mostly a barebones port

Oct 25, 2017
The idea of playing these games on M/KB just sounds wrong. Slapping that C Stick to swap beams is like half the fun!

OP
OP
hlhbk

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
For those who followed my old thread please note I also took the the time to re-record my gameplay demo. It is now the entire space station. Also my old video was at 1440p since I didn't have a 4k monitor and its at 4k 60 FPS now!

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PrimeHack is a fucking revelation and made me forget wanting to use a controller ever again for MP, it's that intuitive and cool. With the upgraded textures it's fucking surreal.

thank you so much for this!

Snagret

Oct 25, 2017
Damn this is some crazy info in the OP, thank you! I tried playing Metroid Prime on an emulator a couple years ago and it was a surprisingly difficult experience just to get it running correctly, and even then I ended up encountering a game-breaking geometry glitch in the like the second room on the planet. Might be time to give it another shot....

Also is it just me or does the video in the OP have a wild FOV? Some hardcore fish-eye lense going on

OP
OP
hlhbk

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
Damn this is some crazy info in the OP, thank you! I tried playing Metroid Prime on an emulator a couple years ago and it was a surprisingly difficult experience just to get it running correctly, and even then I ended up encountering a game-breaking geometry glitch in the like the second room on the planet. Might be time to give it another shot....

Also is it just me or does the video in the OP have a wild FOV? Some hardcore fish-eye lense going on

FOV is set to 90. In my experience either 85 or 90 FOV is the sweet spot for most games.

DoctorDake

Development Director
Verified
Mar 28, 2018
Austin, TX
Thanks for the new OP! Can you talk a bit more about your keybind setup? The screenshots cut off a bunch of the more complex ones, so I want to see how you're using them.

OP
OP
hlhbk

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the new OP! Can you talk a bit more about your keybind setup? The screenshots cut off a bunch of the more complex ones, so I want to see how you're using them.

I took screenshots of all areas that had something in them. Everything is there. You may need to click on the image to see the full thing.

What exactly are you looking for?

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
I'd like to use PrimeHack for the FOV and other optimizations... but on a couch setup so no mouse+KB. Is it possible to get it to work with Wii remote?

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
Does this only work on the Metroid Prime Trilogy release? A few months ago I fired up Metroid Prime 3 that I had dumped from my Wii to play in Dolphin and didn't get very far due to the mouse not mapping to Wii Remote movement in a way I liked. I'd love to go back and try it again with this, but I don't have the fully Trilogy collection.

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Does Primehack have much to offer someone who'd want to use a DS4 to play? I physically can't use M/KB (or Wiimote and Nunchuk). I wouldn't mind having gyro aiming though...

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Whoa, I didn't know it had gotten so streamlined. I tried giving this a shot a few years ago and it was a very hacky setup and didn't always work as intended. I'll give this a shot soon!

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Once more nintendo fans prove they care far more about remastering the Nintendo themselves do. These look great.

Jul 24, 2020
Piracy is really explicitly not supported on here? Boo ResetEra you neoliberal sell-outs!

Nevertheless thanks OP for the post. I'mma check this out ahem... legally...

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Piracy is really explicitly not supported on here? Boo ResetEra you neoliberal sell-outs!

It is assumed that you'll be using your own rips to play these. It's not very hard to rip your own Wii discs assuming you have a bit of know-how and a Wii (or WiiU in Wii Mode) with the Homebrew Channel installed.

FutureLarking

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I feel like the real definitive way to play this is with a VR headset. What's the latest with Dolphin VR builds anyway with the Prime series? The last time I tried I had to use a very old build that didn't play nicely with the Prime games.

A computer that can run the game

Intel 8700k
32 GB RAM
Nvidia RTX 3080

Honestly you'd hope that PC could run the game, or the rest of us would be SoL 😅

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Hahaha, jokes on you, I used the extremely slow but reliable FTP method to transfer my files!

I'll never get those hours of my life back.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Man, why Nintendo is leaving all this money on the table...

Do you remember that they printed also very few copies of the Trilogy for Wii?

OP
OP
hlhbk

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
Man, why Nintendo is leaving all this money on the table...

Do you remember that they printed also very few copies of the Trilogy for Wii?

Since I own the original disc version of the Wii release I haven't tried this but does anyone know if the Wii U re-release of the trilogy is able to be ripped and used for this?

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Since I own the original disc version of the Wii release I haven't tried this but does anyone know if the Wii U re-release of the trilogy is able to be ripped and used for this?
You can rip the files after a softmod, but I guess you have to convert the image to have something compatible with the emulator.

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
After buying the original games when they released and buying the Wii-U re-release of trilogy, I've still only ever completed MP1. Might have to finally complete the trilogy this year

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
People would rather just endlessly beg for a Switch remaster that may never even come.

Wasn't the rumor up until recently that they had like, finished and produced physical copies of a trilogy collection that was just waiting for release?

On topic, is it possible through dolphin or mods to remove the lock-on and play with traditional FPS controls? No shade towards the original setup, but having played through them so many times already I've always been curious to try them without.

Samus95

Jun 18, 2020
Wasn't the rumor up until recently that they had like, finished and produced physical copies of a trilogy collection that was just waiting for release?

On topic, is it possible through dolphin or mods to remove the lock-on and play with traditional FPS controls? No shade towards the original setup, but having played through them so many times already I've always been curious to try them without.
Yeah the rumors are that Trilogy Switch is already done but it is supposed to be linked to Prime 4 marketing, and so got a place in N freezer beacuse of Prime 4 reboot

Its probably true considering the people behind it(also because its a easy port, and all N ports are always been leaked) but people should not wait for that to play Prime, you can always replay it portable on Switch when the time comes.....this or next year probably

Last edited:

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
Huh, I'm on AMD CPU and GPU; Vulkan was a stuttery mess, even with async-uber, and D3D12 was a visual-glitchy mess.

Ol' D3D11 works fine, though.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Rumors of a finished Prime Trilogy for Switch have been around for like three years

Leynos

Oct 27, 2017
I'd much rather use the motion controls from the Wii trilogy. Should I stick to standard Dolphin, or does the Primehack still retain that ability?