• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 4292

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The second this gets released is the second it gets C&D

I don't know why people do this to themselves, I don't see us living in a world where Nintendo doesn't try to protect their IP. This is that Metroid 2 remake all over again.

AxkilAvenger

Banned
Apr 8, 2018
I've never understood the endgame of these type of endeavours. Like even when it inevitably gets shut down, will the game still make its way into a few hands or something?

diegdm

Feb 6, 2019

I don't know why people do this to themselves, I don't see us living in a world where Nintendo doesn't try to protect their IP. This is that Metroid 2 remake all over again.
Well if it manages to get released and people can download it there's no problem even if it gets taken down afterwards. AM2R can be downloaded and played after all.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Much like emulators, this isn't piracy in and of itself, but it certainly enables running pirated content and it certainly will be used for it. Probably more than for legal rips.

But really cool.

Oct 27, 2017
Fascinating project - could this evolve into a way better emulator for GCN games over the decades?

Absolutely not. It's a recreation of Metroid Prime's engine specifically and (by design) has no connection to the Gamecube hardware. Having said that, it would be a solid base for Metroid Prime 2 and 3 (and even fan games).

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Absolutely not. It's a recreation of Metroid Prime's engine specifically and (by design) has no connection to the Gamecube hardware. Having said that, it would be a solid base for Metroid Prime 2 and 3 (and even fan games).

Ah, I see - still awesome though!

And I might remember that wrong but doesn't MP2 use some engine / tech parts of other Nintendo games, namely Mario sunshine with the dissolve when he jumps into a level?

Oct 27, 2017
And I might remember that wrong but doesn't MP2 use some engine / tech parts of other Nintendo games, namely Mario sunshine with the dissolve when he jumps into a level?

Hmm, I don't actually remember that effect from either SMS or MP2! I doubt it's something that can't be recreated though, and even if it isn't, having a less fancy transition isn't the end of the world, especially for an initial release.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Hmm, I don't actually remember that effect from either SMS or MP2! I doubt it's something that can't be recreated though, and even if it isn't, having a less fancy transition isn't the end of the world, especially for an initial release.

Sure I find it interesting how the Nintendo games use their engine for mutliple games and genres from that era. I heard at some point that Sunshine and Wind Waker have the same engine base, but again - no idea if that is even true. I think it was from a magazine from the 00s.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Sure I find it interesting how the Nintendo games use their engine for mutliple games and genres from that era. I heard at some point that Sunshine and Wind Waker have the same engine base, but again - no idea if that is even true. I think it was from a magazine from the 00s.
I doubt the engines are 1:1, but they were all built on the same tech even into the Wii eta (you can load wind waker maps into Mario Galaxy with only minor tweaks for example).

But this is nothing new for Nintendo since you could do the same for OoT maps in Mario 64.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017

The one where everyone loved it, it's still obtainable, it still gets updates, and the developer went on to work on Ori and the Will of the Wisps?

J.Devesh

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Can't wait that a modder will add the RTX support... The only Metroid HD that we will see in the next year probably T__T

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Not a fan of the ultra-wide FOV in that video, but other than that it looks amazing.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I just played through Metroid Prime for the fourth time or so in my life and just hearing the Phendrana music in that video makes me immediately want to boot it up yet again. The soundtrack in this game is still fucking unreal and this looks great.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Part of me wishes Nintendo would just release the Metroid Prime trilogy (maybe the entire Metroid saga) on PC. I mean, it's not a superb seller on their consoles, and I think it could find an entire new market. Watching this video only further convinces me Metroid Prime could have some kind of rebirth if that happened.

The rest of me constantly mocks that part.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm more excited for this for what it means for other games getting this kind of treatment than being able to play Metroid.

Doesn't seem like you all have that much longer of a wait.

Nov 1, 2017
Imagine MP in VR...hope it happens at some point.
Technically, this was already possible via Dolphin VR. It was a fork of the main build by an individual developer. However, it included code that breached the open-source agreement. To my knowledge, it hasn't been updated in years.

I only got it to work for brief periods of time, but wearing it felt like I was able to see 10 years into the future.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Mine was 0-00 but I figured it would be since I'm pretty sure I got it at release.

Some sort of alpha was also released publicly a while back but I'm not really sure what it is or how to do anything with it since I haven't been following this all that closely, and it doesn't include any instructions for how to run it. From videos it still looks too early to really play the whole game through, but they're getting there.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
I'm curious what Prime would play like with native keyboard and mouse controls.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
Metroid Prime is so much about the exploration and atmosphere, I don't think it would be hurt by controls making it easier. Like RE4 Wii. If anything it will make you feel more like the Doomslayer that the Space Pirates see you as.