• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
Isn't this basically comparable to someone programming their own audio player that can play mp3 files? I mean it's a lot more sophisticaded than just an audio file but in theory it's the same approach and in that video it just shows what the thing can do the same way someone would play a random mp3 file to show how their own programmed audio player works.
Awesome. I take it there are no loading doors in this version?
I think technically there are always loading times except on a modern PC they would be so quick the doors would open almost instantly.

Grigorig

Oct 30, 2017
The developer behind this project is also responsible for Turok/Turok 2/Powerslave/Forsaken Remastered.

I thought the Powerslave beta was released openly and then C&D'd into oblivion (very glad I grabbed a copy..) Did they release it in the end?

Look at TimeSplitters. Sure, you've been able to emulate TimeSplitters 1-3 for many years, but that's no substitute for proper PC ports which THQ Nordic are presumably currently work on.

Wait WHAT is this a thing? I would kill for PC versions of these games.. Not sure if you've ever played Goldeneye with 60fps and mouse injector but holy hell it's an absolute joy to play. Would love a similar experience with TimeSplitters.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
Guys, this isnt piracy. They're taking PPC machine code, figuring out what the hell it's doing, and re interpreting it in a high level language (C? C++?)

They don't have the original developer code. Just the digital 1s and 0s de-complied into machine code.

So a really terrible example: they're taking "sys $ff0086; mov $ff0087; add $ff11875" and tranforming it to "hello world"

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
and people complain about Spider-Man being a cop... lol

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
This is as impressive as this thread is embarrassing.

So, very impressive indeed!

FancyPants

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Been following this project for quite a while - super impressed with the Prime engine reverse engineering effort! Fools will say that it's no different than Dolphin, but this will run natively on far inferior hardware, and is a greater resource for the burgeoning Prime hacking community.

Dolphin already runs on potatoes. Shit, it runs full speed Metroid Prime on tablets.

Molten_

Oct 28, 2017
so like, would this open the door for modding the game? kind of like doom source ports? if so, that's actually kind of insane and I'd like to see this for other games, like Ocarina of Time.

edit: to clarify, I'm aware that mods already exist for OoT ... but if I'm reading into this right, this kind of thing would make modding far easier. which is cool.

Deleted member 11018

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
so like, would this open the door for modding the game? kind of like doom source ports? if so, that's actually kind of insane and I'd like to see this for other games, like Ocarina of Time.

If it is open source, yup, it will be wide open for any gameplay improvement one can make :)
I find it amazing... it take a tremendous amount of work (and i find it touching the original devs give their input to help producing this simulator).

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

edit: to clarify, I'm aware that mods already exist for OoT ... but if I'm reading into this right, this kind of thing would make modding far easier. which is cool.
I believe modding is one of reasons they are doing this, actually.

Molten_

Oct 28, 2017
If it is open source, yup, it will be wide open for any gameplay improvement one can make :)
I find it amazing... it take a tremendous amount of work (and i find it touching the original devs give their input to help producing this simulator).

I believe modding is one of reasons they are doing this, actually.

Dope. I hope someday we will get a fully-fledged Metroid Prime level editor. Imagine the possibilities.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Looks good but I can't imagine playing it with proper mouse support till I try. Which prolly won't happen. C&D definitely incoming

flare

Deleted member 1759

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
ITT: why do you people dare to play my dear Nintendo franchise on your filthy PCs?

Pirates! Copyright infringements! Moral grey zone!

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
This is awesome. Source ports are some of the best things in gaming.

The posters in this thread derailing are the worst.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The ignorance displayed throughout this thread is downright saddening

Last edited:

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
It's essentially a pc emulator for one game. Which means it can'd be C&D'd.

C&D definitely incoming

flare

How can this project possibly be C&D'd? Where is the C&D for Dolphin? Mupen64? BSNES?

They are reverse engineering the engine. That's all they're doing. There is not a single line of Nintendo code or a byte of Nintendo assets on their Github page. Heck, they don't even use the name Metroid. Just 'Retro Games Engine'

Last edited:

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just so you know: You can actually config Dolphin to play Metroid Prime Trilogy with M/KB setup. I completed MP entirely like that last year and it felt great.

That said, this project is impressive so far.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
Damn that looks cool. I'd love to play Metroid Prime with proper mouse support. I hope Nintendo doesn't decide to get shitty about it.

Damn this thread's a mess.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
How can this project possibly be C&D'd? Where is the C&D for Dolphin? Mupen64? BSNES?

They are reverse engineering the engine. That's all they're doing. There is not a single line of Nintendo code or a byte of Nintendo assets.
It could still be C&D'd in theory if Nintendo feels threatened by the project. Nintendo has money to throw at litigation, the people working on the project probably don't have money to defend themselves in court even if they are in the right.

This is a really cool project though and I really hope it gets finished.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
It could still be C&D'd in theory if Nintendo feels threatened by the project. Nintendo has money to throw at litigation, the people working on the project probably don't have money to defend themselves in court even if they are in the right.

This is a really cool project though and I really hope it gets finished.

But what's the legal basis? Reverse engineering is legal. Emulation is legal. Where's the C&D for CEMU? or Yuzu? These projects are much more threatening for Nintendo than a 'source' port, but Nintendo can't do anything because these developers are following the law.

AM2R got shutdown for re-using sprites and Nintendo characters.
The Romsites got shut down for freely distributing their intellectual property.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But what's the legal basis? Reverse engineering is legal. Emulation is legal. Where's the C&D for CEMU? or Yuzu? These projects are much more threatening for Nintendo than a 'source' port, but Nintendo can't do anything because these developers are following the law.

AM2R got shutdown for re-using sprites and Nintendo characters.
There is no legal basis at all. This is legal.

However, Nintendo could still try it, and some devs would just accept it rather than trying to fight it in court. It's unlikely because otherwise they'd already be trying it on Dolphin, etc.

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I find nintendo fans defense of nintendo when it comes to projects like this so damn strange.

Especially given this company's history and old games.

Radamammuth

Dec 8, 2017
I played prime on dolphin hires textures and 3d with no stutters with the Jp dudes build.. the name escapes me right now. It was glorious!

Anyway I think this actually looks better

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
Is this on a 486? My ancient 7 year old work laptop runs Metroid Prime perfectly with supersampling and added visual oomph cranked up.
No on a PC with 16GB RAM a GTX960 and an Intel Xeon Quad whatever with 3.4Ghz. It simply doesn't run perfectly, stop lying. I had dozens of people telling me how "perfectly" this runs and then I see what they think is perfect and it has framedrops and microstutters all over the place. Apparently for some people having "5 dropped frames in 30 seconds" is still perfect. It isn't. Enabling pre compiling shaders improves a lot but it still isn't perfect and considerably worse than the original release.
I do not even care about enhancing the resolution and whatnot, I'd much rather play the game in 480p without a single issue instead.

Deleted member 7450

Oct 25, 2017
That is fucking fantastic and I wish I could download it right fucking now.

Damn impressed, I always thought about stuff like this.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
Cool but if its primary purpose is Metroid Prime fan games as it was mentioned somewhere, isn't it kind of unnecessary to go to the trouble of recreating everything exactly as it was in the original game so that an original copy can be read and played through it? Why not make one's own FPS/A engine with the functions needed for MP-like gameplay in a from-the-ground-up for PC experience (basically the weapons, abilities, level entities, world streaming, A.I. etc for people to slot their own assets and campaigns on with editing to match)? Just a question, the project is super cool, it just seems like the harder way to go about doing something like that. Unless the primary purpose is to play the original game(s, if they plan to add support for 2 and 3) in a native PC environment, then never mind.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
By using their own assets and they could have made a different game but Nintendo is gonna c&d this to hell regardless what a dev says lol

Should have completed it and released when done, can never understand why people always reveal things like this early

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
By using their own assets and they could have made a different game but Nintendo is gonna c&d this to hell regardless what a dev says lol

Should have completed it and released when done, can never understand why people always reveal things like this early

No, but you...

I...

You don't unders...

spear_deadvjd0k.gif

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017

They're not using any assets. They're just creating a game engine.

In the future, you'll download a small executable, and the user will have to provide a Metroid Prime iso. This executable will then take all the assets from your legal copy of MP and run a Windows, MacOS, Linux native version of the game.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're not using any assets. They're just creating a game engine.

In the future, you'll download a small executable, and the user will have to provide a Metroid Prime iso. This executable will then take all the assets from your legal copy of MP and run a native version of the game.

I wish someone said this earlier. Nobody has made it clear you still have to use their own copy of the game.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

They are reverse engineering the engine. That's all they're doing. There is not a single line of Nintendo code or a byte of Nintendo assets on their Github page. Heck, they don't even use the name Metroid. Just 'Retro Games Engine'

Emulation can't be C&D'd. However from my understanding a game that is reverse engineered and then had it's assets recreated like this can definitively be served C&D'd. It might not hold up in a court but a small guy like this team probably wouldn't want to deal with battling Nintendo. The case is really similar to the case of Metroid AM2R.

If it starts being released to the public then it's more likely to be served one(not sure if it already is)

edit: Ok nevermind I misunderstood this project. I thought they created their own assets. It sounds like it's just an engine that runs the assets through it. Not sure anymore if it'll be C&D'd

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
This thread is a fever dream. We are seriously bringing up morality?

Awesome work. I am pretty surprised how well Metroid Prime holds up now too. Great art trumps all I suppose!