• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
220px-Echoesboxart_%28Large%29.jpg

This is one of my alltime favorite games, and still the most prerelease hype I have ever had for one. Coming off how much I surprisingly loved prime 1, I remember the trailers and especially the gameinformer focus. Seeing all the official art of ing and dark aether was insane.
latest

I know the long time beam ammo controversy, but I always loved it. Adding in thay extra factor combined with the intensity of dark aether. Prime 2 hard mode is probably the second hardest (official) metroid game second to fusion mode samus returns. I love all the areas even aside from the zelda-ish boss keys. The bosses are all great, with quadraxix being one of the best in the series. Just an amazing game and sequel to another amazing game. Even without ridley, but the start of dark samus.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of the best games ever, alongside its predecessor and sequel. Truly the GOAT God-Tier trilogy.

Siyou

Oct 27, 2017
I remember heading to my local walmart to get it at midnight and it wasn't there, then for a week I proceeded to go there and finally someone says; "It's been in the back here, we just didn't have shelf space for it". No fanfare for me with this release. I liked the game, played it a lot, but there are certainly gripes I hold with it.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
Pointless trivia: In the demo for MP2, when you shoot near the portal, the shots would get sucked inward into the portal. This doesn't happen in the final version of the game though.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
The astehics in ths game were great, especially the armors. The Dark Suit is my favorite non-Varia suit upgrade, especially when it comes to its Brown/Silver color scheme and paldrons:

latest

el jacko

Dec 12, 2017
The 18 key collect-athon at the end of the game is absolutely bonkers stupid, but everything else about the game is so good I can't help but rank it as my favorite Metroid.

In a lot of ways Prime 1 is better paced and has a more dynamic world, and I completely understand the argument that it's a better game. At the same time, I think Prime 2 is more cohesive, and is a bit more punishing with its puzzles and adventure, and more clever in some ways. Meaner and darker and far more atmospheric, and that's what I like about it.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Definitely my least favorite of the trilogy. Game was just needlessly tedious and convoluted with the switches between Light and Dark Aether. The hub area, Agon Wastes, and Torvus Bog are all pretty bland as far as levels go as well, but at least the game finishes strong with one of, if not the best area in a Metroid game (Sanctuary Fortress).

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
I remember this game making a very bad first impression on me (the first few enemies looked like garbage to me) and a very good lasting impression on me (the dark world in particular, sucked me in, in a way very few games do). Overall loved MP2.

I had to look up how to beat the last boss though because it took way too long to keep trying on my own.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not as good as the first one but still pretty amazing overall. It had a shockingly short development time but the team managed to pull it all together pretty well by the end.

Nice of it to have it's own identity from the rest of the series and it didn't pointlessly add a ton of fan Metroid fan pandering like Ridley for the 100th time.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Best Metroid Prime game.
Love Sanctuary Fortress.
Love the music.
Love the abilities.
Also some of the best boss battles.

To think that my initial impression 15 years ago was that it was nowhere near as good as its predecessor. Now my opinion is that the first Metroid Prime did an amazing job creating the template for something that could be better, which Metroid Prime 2 capitalized on.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This game has an AMAZING soundtrack. The whole trilogy does, but Prime 2 especially. Prime 4 has a lot to live up to.

Deleted member 1839

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The menu theme is still my favorite out of the trilogy.

Sucks that 4 is likely one of the last big Switch games.

Oct 26, 2017
A fantastic sequel to a game that I regard as possibly the greatest of all time. I actually ordered a US copy of the first game just to get the demo, I was that obsessed at the time. I miss those days, being that excited for an upcoming game.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
Apparently an unpopular opinion but it's my favourite by far. The entire game is a huge puzzle box with the most punishing bosses in the trilogy. It's expertly crafted.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The trilogy needs to be on Switch already.
Can it really, though? I didn't play MP3 but watched a ton of videos. How would the controls be redone to work with the system? What if they only ported the first two?

I've heard rumors about the Switch getting the trilogy but I have no idea if that's substantiated.

Apparently an unpopular opinion but it's my favourite by far. The entire game is a huge puzzle box with the most punishing bosses in the trilogy. It's expertly crafted.

Same here. My favorite of the two I played.

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
When I bought this game, the person at the store asked me if I wanted the GameCube version of the game.

Anyway, here's some more good music:

Oct 26, 2017
Can it really, though? I didn't play MP3 but watched a ton of videos. How would the controls be redone to work with the system? What if they only ported the first two?

I've heard rumors about the Switch getting the trilogy but I have no idea if that's substantiated.

Same here. My favorite of the two I played.

Literally take out all the motion controls. Add gyro aiming.

The motion grappling hook is infuriating and its absence would make for a marked improvement, and the vast majority of other stuff is rote bullshit that adds nothing.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
this is the game that got me into the Prime series and my favorite one to date. 1 or 3 never clicked with me as much as 2 did. it's also my most played game of the trilogy. i even had the WR in the Wii version for a while.

also, randomizers are the best by far in Prime 2. the game works way too good with randomized powerups that it's a bit scary.
if it wasn't for Pokemon SS coming out today i'd probably replay the game.

Last edited:

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
After playing the trilogy for the first time a few years ago, I've been permanently confused that this hasn't always been considered the best Prime. It's got a more intuitive collectible hunt, better upgrades and suits, better scan system, better bosses, better zones, better soundtrack... Doesn't hit the Super Metroid nostalgia bone like Prime 1 does, but I also didn't have one of those when I first played it. And why doesn't 2 get points for originality? Luminoth, Ing, Aether... no bog standard Ridley fight. Are those like negatives to folks? Whatever

Top-tier game. Hope dearly 4 is more in its vein and not 3's

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Another thread to make me feel old. I remember loving this game and being perplexed working at Circuit City as I watched us receive about 40 copies initially and sell only about 3 of them. I really don't understand how the series as a whole doesn't sell very well despite many incredible entires.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
Every time I replay this one I like it a little bit more than the last. Back in 2007 I thought it was my least favorite of the three, but over the years it has toppled Corruption and I think I might like it even more than Prime 1, but it might just be because I've replayed Prime 1 so many times that I've sucked all of the wonder and mystery out of it, whereas Prime 2 just has so much mood that it's incredible. Best bosses in the series, and Sanctuary Fortress is god-tier. I truly hope that Prime 4 takes most of its overall vibe from this game.

Rockodile

Dec 7, 2018
The key hunt at the end was rather egregious, but other than that it was a phenomenal sequel to my favorite game ever.

Sanctuary Fortress might be my favorite area in the franchise.

Mr. Blue Sky

Oct 25, 2017
Jeez, how time flies, it feels like not so long ago I was practically begging my parents to get me this for Christmas after enjoying the first one. The absolute peak of the trilogy and one of the greatest games of all time. The level of greatness that is Quadrixis still hasn't been matched in the series, though the diggernaut from SR comes close.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
100 percent item completion is mandatory for every Prime game for me so I don't mind the key hunt as I'll be going back everywhere regardless. Plus the satisfaction of finally being able to traverse the Dark World unhindered using the light suit, blasting everything away effortlessly with the annihilator beam makes for a pretty cathartic retread.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Best Retro game of all time and best Prime game.

Possibly best Metroid game of all time.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The biggest issue for me was the implementation of the Dark World. All areas in it look exactly the same and very dull overall in the presentation. it is really boring to travel through, especially in the early game before you get the Dark Suit. Also getting in and out of the dark world through the portals takes forever. Because of all this Prime 2 has much slower pacing than the first Prime. The entire game uses a duller color pallet and that makes the Light world areas look dull as well compared to the first game. Prime 3 overcorrected this issue, but Prime 2 looks too drab for my liking. The Sky temple key collection was handled the worst in the trilogy.

Prime 2 when it works is amazing. It has the best bosses and the best use of the morph ball in the entire series but there were some issues preventing it from being the best,

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
Played it for the first time ever earlier this year on the Trilogy Collection.

I'm not certain if I was affected by the experience I had acquired from playing Prime 1 a few months prior to that, but I guess I had a bit of a more enjoyable time with Prime 2?

To get this out of the way: Sanctuary Fortress is the best area of the 2, the fact that it exists elevates Prime 2 from a theming stand-point over the first.

The fact that the final McGuffins are held by some of the dead Luminoth you have encountered throughout the whole adventure made the
end-game hunt more natural IMO.

The slopes in the Spider-Guardian boss fight can go to hell though, and Torvus Bog is... not that great.

All in all, great game for sure!

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
there were a bunch of rumors before the Prime 4 dev reboot. since that happened seems like all rumors kinda died and the last one was that things were shelved until 4 was further in development.
Yeah, that was the last thing I read. At this point I have no hope it'll come, if only to save myself from disappointment.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
My recolection (from reviews and fans of this game) was that it was a pain in the fucking ass to complete.

Arithmetician

Oct 9, 2019
The 18 key collect-athon at the end of the game is absolutely bonkers stupid, but everything else about the game is so good I can't help but rank it as my favorite Metroid.

In a lot of ways Prime 1 is better paced and has a more dynamic world, and I completely understand the argument that it's a better game. At the same time, I think Prime 2 is more cohesive, and is a bit more punishing with its puzzles and adventure, and more clever in some ways. Meaner and darker and far more atmospheric, and that's what I like about it.

18? You only need 9 Sky Temple keys

Xbro

Oct 25, 2017
this is the game that got me into the Prime series and my favorite one to date. 1 or 3 never clicked with me as much as 2 did. it's also my most played game of the trilogy. i even had the WR in the Wii version for a while.

also, randomizers are the best by far in Prime 2. the game works way too good with randomized powerups that it's a bit scary.
if it wasn't for Pokemon SS coming out today i'd probably replay the game.
You have any links to randomizers? I would like to try one for this game.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
After playing the trilogy for the first time a few years ago, I've been permanently confused that this hasn't always been considered the best Prime. It's got a more intuitive collectible hunt, better upgrades and suits, better scan system, better bosses, better zones, better soundtrack... Doesn't hit the Super Metroid nostalgia bone like Prime 1 does, but I also didn't have one of those when I first played it. And why doesn't 2 get points for originality? Luminoth, Ing, Aether... no bog standard Ridley fight. Are those like negatives to folks? Whatever

Top-tier game. Hope dearly 4 is more in its vein and not 3's

heh same here. i didn't play Super Metroid until years after having played the Primes and had none of that nostalgia with 1. (which by the way, i found overrated since i liked the GBA games more. SM is not even in my top 5 Metroid games)
i did play 2 first though so the impact of Metroid in 3D all came from this game. funnily, Prime 1 didn't feel like it was a better game at all. i just felt the lack of items and how smaller it was.

You have any links to randomizers? I would like to try one for this game.

Metroid Prime 2 Randomizer

you'll need a copy of the game on Gamecube since only the GC version is supported. also, a Wii with homebrew to play the randomized game or just to extract the files if you plan to play on Dolphin.

Last edited: