• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
It'd be cool, but honestly wouldn't be all that tempting for me. From everything I've seen, Samus Returns comes across like a bad combination of Metroid II proper and Metroid Dread. It takes a game that was ~5 hours long and somehow drags it out into a ~13 hour experience, removes the atmosphere that was like half the reason the game was compelling in the first place, and supplants a meaningful, impactful ending with a pandering and redundant one. And all the cool things it added in return are just things Dread ended up doing much better, anyway.

It feels like a game that needed to happen for better things to eventually come, and I wouldn't mind an even better version popping up on Switch one day, but conceptually it lent itself better to MercuryStream getting some experience with the franchise than to a great Metroid game.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo should remaster/post a ton of their 3DS games. I'm still waiting for Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask and A Link Between Worlds.

So many great games stuck on a fucking handheld.

Borgus

Apr 14, 2020
Toronto
I agree with anyone saying that it would feel too much like a step backward. I'm sure its a decent game but this series (2D specifically) is inherently dated and I think it'd be good to focus on developing fun new ways to keep this formula fun and relevant. I think a big part of Dread's appeal was playing a 2D Metroid that felt modern, which is evident by all the "Samus has never controlled so well" remarks. I really enjoyed Metroid Dread and like what the developers did, but it'd be cool to see them take on something slightly more ambitious. Maybe going for a full-on Metroidvania for Metroid 6.

Cygnus X-1

Oct 28, 2017
I'd prefer a new game, to be honest.

After Metroid Dread, I wonder whether Nintendo is evaluating the purchase of MercurySteam...

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you were a kid in 1990 with a Game Boy like I was, maybe you'd think differently. To literally have been able to hold a game of that size and scope in my hands was absolutely amazing back then.
I liked Metroid II upon release but I expected much more from it given that it came out over four years after the NES game, and the genre had advanced since then.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
I liked Metroid II upon release but I expected much more from it given that it came out over four years after the NES game, and the genre had advanced since then.

I'm willing to cut it slack, simply based on the fact that it released relatively early in the Game Boy's life (1991), and few--if any--titles of that size and scope had been released on that platform back then. In a technical sense, it represents a great leap forward from launch games like Super Mario Land. It obviously wasn't as impressive as Kirby's Dream Land, Super Mario Land 2, and Link's Awakening, but those came out in 1992/1993.

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Seems like a no brainer to me. Capitalize on the goodwill from Metroid Dread and give the people what they want. Would give devs something to do while creative works on concepting out the next game.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
The time for that has probably passed unless they can retrofit Samus Returns with some of Dread's improvements. Should've ported SR to Switch in like 2018 tbh.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I wonder if they can reuse stuff they made for Dread to make porting it easier.

I'd love to see it, though hopefully it'd be done as part of a package. Get Zero Mission and Fusion on there too and pop on the first three games and you've got yourself a Metroid Saga. I can't imagine getting the three portable games would be too difficult, and the rest are on NSO already.

aloner

Jun 30, 2021
Australia
I'd play it, but id suspect we are way more likely to get Zero Mission, Metroid 2, Fusion added to Nintendo Switch Online