• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kizmah

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
Disappointed that I can't switch my current save to rookie mode. I will never beat that final boss. Loved the game mostly but the difficulty spikes for some boss fights are ridiculous. Rookie mode should have been there from the start.

OP
OP
super-famicom

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
What is this in reference to?

LOL the room he was stuck in has a wiki article:
metroid.fandom.com

Jaffe Room

The "Jaffe Room" is an unofficially named room in Artaria. It appears in Metroid Dread. The Jaffe Room is a large chamber in the upper right corner of Artaria, and the first in the thermal energy region that is near Cataris. It is of primarily artificial construction. Curved red pipes are...

All he had to do was shoot the ceiling (something the game hinted at prior to arriving here, and the room itself hints at it with enemies right above it)

Last edited:

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Boss Rush Mode is going to be a lot of fun.

Rookie mode is also really nice for those who want a more laid back experience. Hopefully it also gives Samus a little more defense. I feel like the HP restore buff alone won't be enough.

EDIT: Its good to see bosses doing reduced damage in Rookie mode! It'll make casual plays much more relaxing.

Last edited:
Detailed description of Rookie Mode
OP
OP
super-famicom

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Can you change your difficulty in a current save file?

I checked last night and unfortunately I could not

Also, I forgot to save a screenshot, but when choosing Rookie Mode in a new game, the description states that healing items heal for more and boss damage is reduced.

edit- this is confirmed in this IGN article:
www.ign.com

Dread Mode and Rookie Mode - Metroid Dread Guide - IGN

On February 9th, 2022, Nintendo updated Metroid Dread with two new game modes for free - Dread Mode, and Rookie Mode. These will drastically alter the

The antithesis of Dread Mode, Rookie Mode is a game mode designed for those unfamiliar with the Metroid series or those who are having trouble progressing and staying alive. In this mode, damage dealt by bosses is vastly reduced, and any energy you find will vastly improve regeneration for Samus.

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Looking forwards to the Boss Rush mode. I may give Dread mode a try, I do take a lot of hits on any normal playthough sooooo I feel like I'm gonna have a rough time. Definitely will do sequence breaking to avoid the Specimen fight, that's always hardest for me.

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
The difficulty being locked at the file creation has always been in Metroids IIRC. You're locked into a difficulty once you start the game. Unfortunate, but maybe they're afraid that it might lead to more bugs since the game wasn't designed with it in mind?

Either way I'm just glad it has a more accessible mode.

hamghost

Sep 1, 2019
I'd love it if we could switch on a current file, I got stuck at (I think) the final boss and gave up out of frustration.

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
can't believe it took them this long to release a difficulty where you take less dmg and heal more, but couldn't be bothered to add a way to change it mid game

Oct 27, 2017
Finally, game nailed the feel of Metroid, needs improvement in exploration, but the difficulty is too high for my preference. After beating orphan of kos after it must have been 50 attempts, I just don't do that level of difficulty anymore. I was at the last boss in dread and after 30 tries and only a handful in phase 3 I lost interest and shelved it.

Incoming at mentions of git gud and I'm wrong blah blah. My wife is pregnant and my life priorities have changed.
Nothing wrong with tour statements, as I've gotten older most games I just want to playthrough and enjoy. If I want to play something more challenging I will adjust difficulty myself.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
The difficulty being locked at the file creation has always been in Metroids IIRC. You're locked into a difficulty once you start the game. Unfortunate, but maybe they're afraid that it might lead to more bugs since the game wasn't designed with it in mind?

Either way I'm just glad it has a more accessible mode.
It's so outdated. Many games allow on-the-fly difficulty changes.

Telamon

Banned
May 25, 2020
Woohoo! Rookie mode, now maybe I can carry on and enjoy it rather than having to look up how to beat everything and still take foreve-

...I have to start over?

Okay, back to the bottom of the pile you go, maybe I'll have summoned the desire to do that in 5 years time or something.

Am_I_Evil

Oct 27, 2017
Hoping Rookie Mode actually makes the game easier. The final boss frustrated me way too much to keep bothering. Haven't felt frustration like that since the final level in Celeste
yeah, i literally stopped the game at the final boss...if i can just change it to complete the game that would be great

edit: now after looking at the thread....you can't do this? ugh....

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
Rookie mode, but I have to start again, and I'm maybe 2/3rds through. I see my people in the thread. Sigh.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Incoming at mentions of git gud and I'm wrong blah blah. My wife is pregnant and my life priorities have changed.
LOL, just wait till your kid's here!
I have a 3-month old, and I'm lucky to get 1 hour of gaming a week, with no more than 15 consecutive minutes at time.
Little dude's in my arms now as I type this single-handed.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
ill shake the hand of anyone who legit manages to beat dread mode

giphy.gif

Wii Tank

Oct 27, 2017

Just managed to pull it off myself. It wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be and I loved an excuse to play through the game again

riq

Feb 21, 2019
People really mad at Dread Mode. It's like people are insulted. It is a challenge mode for a particular part of the audience. Heaven forbid it not be for you.
Yep. "They spent dev time on something I don't care about? Dumb."

Boss rush mode is pretty cool. Why would you add Rookie mode this late and not give people the chance to switch midgame?

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018

Just managed to pull it off myself. It wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be and I loved an excuse to play through the game again

O62ZGnL.png

Outside of a few spots in the overworld, the only trouble areas were some boss encounters. The second (kraid) being the worst for me due to the more random nature of their projectiles. It is much more doable than one would think, especially since most environmental damage isn't ohko.
Big congrats! You've both emboldened me to give it a try on my next playthrough