• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
Nice scores. I have read two reviews and none of them talked about the soundtrack (for me one of the most important aspects in a Metroid game). Do any reviewers mention how they liked the music?
I cant remember which one but I did see one review that mentioned "good soundtrack" as a positive

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Nice scores. I have read two reviews and none of them talked about the soundtrack (for me one of the most important aspects in a Metroid game). Do any reviewers mention how they liked the music?
No but the OST leaked and it's disappointing compared to super or Prime. It's better than SR though

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any experience or knowledge with Metroid needed to fully enjoy this? I know the very basics (e.g. who Samus is, what she does), but that's about it.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
Any experience or knowledge with Metroid needed to fully enjoy this? I know the very basics (e.g. who Samus is, what she does), but that's about it.

In terms of story there is a recap at the start of the game. In terms of gameplay, it should be fine, though you may take longer figuring out what to do.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
From what I gather by the reviews they really enjoy it, the only real downside is it's quite hard (boss battles) and not very long (11 hours?).
It's also pretty much more of the same; though that might be what some fans are looking for after so many years (last time they tried to get original, the result was Other M).

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017

It's a direct sequel to one the last 2D Metroid released before Samus Returns on the 3DS, Metroid Fusion. I think you can enjoy the game without any previous knowledge, but at least knowing what happend in Fusion might improve the plot for one.

KayMote

Nov 5, 2017
Unfortunately, I'm at work right now and I can't read thosr reviews in detail, but can anyone tell me if some reviews mention the soundtrack? Because I would love to know if I should expect more the melodic tunes of the old school metroids or more the atmospheric stuff as in Other M?

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
It's also pretty much more of the same; though that might be what some fans are looking for after so many years (last time they tried to get original, the result was Other M).
the more of the same quote is only really from the waypoint review, most of the other reviews I read do not mention that at all and talk about innovations in movement and combat

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately, I'm at work right now and I can't read thosr reviews in detail, but can anyone tell me if some reviews mention the soundtrack? Because I would love to know if I should expect more the melodic tunes of the old school metroids or more the atmospheric stuff as in Other M?
The latter, I listened to the OST leaks and the game is pretty disappointing on that front. It's better than SR and Other M though, in that there are some discernible melodies but it's not as good as Super or the Primes

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my. Seems if it was a great soundtrack more reviewers would mention it. I found SR's music disappointing compared to other Metroids and hoped it would be improved in the sequel.
It is. SR's ambiences were a big bowl of nothing to me, Dread's tracks are a bit more discernible and do seem like they'd add to the atmosphere more, but none reach the heights of what we've gotten from Super and Primes

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a direct sequel to one the last 2D Metroid released before Samus Returns on the 3DS, Metroid Fusion. I think you can enjoy the game without any previous knowledge, but at least knowing what happend in Fusion might improve the plot for one.
Cool yeah, looks like there's a bunch of recap videos out there, so I'll probably just watch one of those.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
the more of the same quote is only really from the waypoint review, most of the other reviews I read do not mention that at all and talk about innovations in movement and combat
There are others. Either way, I already said it won't be a negative aspect for most people. The studio's main task was to finish this sub-series after its long hiatus, not to reinvent the wheel.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Someone who's played it, spoil it for me: is there an extremely annoying boss battle where you're forced to spend most of your time in the morph ball?

Morph ball-only bosses ruined the Prime games for me, so if this one doesn't have one of those I'll come back.

None of the 2D Metroid titles ever had a boss like this at all. Not that the Prime titles play the same as the 2D Metroids to begin with.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
Great scores, I'm looking forward to it.

I've played Super Metroid tons of times and Prime 1-3 multiple times, but somehow never played the GBA games lol. Never got Samus Returns on 3DS either after mixed reviews and too much else going on at the time. Really happy the devs seem to have nailed it this time though.

I will say I fucking hate Nintendo's pricing though. I rarely get games day 1 and tend to wait for a sale, but Nintendo basically never lowers prices below $50, even for games 3+ years old. So many Switch games I'd love to get for around ~$30 but will probably never play because of their asinine pricing strategy. I will be picking up Dread later this year or next year since I do love Metroid, but knowing it'll probably still be $60 in six months when I get to it really leaves a bitter taste.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Hearing about the soundtrack is a shame. The rest of the game sounds like my dream Metroid. Only two short days away.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I would definitely say it's more of the same and refined rather than reinvented, those reviews aren't wrong

but the 2D Metroid formula is focused and well paced and not bogged down with RPG elements like much if not most of the genre at this point, it feels good

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Really hope some of the harder bosses aren't like Diggernaut in SR where you have to play through 3 (easier) stages to get to the harder part. I was getting so annoyed by that fight because I had to autopilot through a bunch of phases bc I had a hard time figuring out the finicky/weird final phase.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any kind of easy/baby mode in this? Every review I've seen talks up the difficulty.

chadboban

May 27, 2020
This seems to be very popular among websites with Nintendo in their names huh.
9tkPvJd.gif

Really? ...You're really doing this? ...

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
I've seen like 3 review videos already and I think I've already got enough spoilers lol

And I was trying to arrive to this game as blind as possible, but I cannot wait any more, I need my copy now!!

forrest

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Love seeing these scores! As someone who loved Samus Returns, maybe we'll see a Switch port at some point. Either way, can't wait! Happy for Mercury Steam and Metroid!

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
Love seeing these scores! As someone who loved Samus Returns, maybe we'll see a Switch port at some point. Either way, can't wait! Happy for Mercury Steam and Metroid!

After this, I would definitely be ok with a port while waiting for Metroid 6.

I have never really played Metroid but I am debating grabbing this...

Do it! It's the best time to jump in. There is a recap to fill in the blanks and you could always check out the earlier games afterwards.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
as a guy who thought samus returns was the definition of meh, I'm happy that this seems like a huge improvement

I'm also happy that this isn't a 24 hour long slog

10 hours is enough

Quasi

Banned
Aug 24, 2021
Good to see it's getting good scores. Samus deserves to be a properly used icon once again. Looking forward to playing it.