• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
This, and in general I've gotten weird vibes with the way this thread has been analyzing every single detail of the design and talking about what type of woman Samus SHOULD be lol

Like it's not the end of the world if she wears heel shaped boots! They aren't degrading in the slightest!

I feel like other M made everyone super scared of Samus characterization and presentation, but it's gotten ridiculous at this point to me and kinda uncomfortable. Like it's circled back to being degrading/objectifying in its own way "not enough muscle tone! Hair shouldn't be in a pony tail! Shouldn't be wearing heels! Face looks too Barbie-like!"

i get coming up with cool alternate designs but just the tone of it and how constantly it's brought up… idk.

edit: what the hell era is glitching for me

Damn, I've been feeling this way for like the past 2 weeks but didn't want to say anything because I know how toxic the fanbase can get. This thread was fun but then it took this weird slide into this reverse objectification with a bunch of dudes huddling together dictating what a fictional woman's body should look like, what her personality should be, and now what kind of space suit heels she's allowed to have. There's room for discussion on these subjects but some of you are going a little overboard.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I'm gonna just pretend the last page or two didn't happen

y'all wild

Here's something that always bothered me about Samus' armor…

If it was designed by the Chozo, why is it always changing, sometimes drastically (as in the case of Fusion or Dread)? And how does it form around Samus like it does? Have the games' lore ever covered that? I think it'd be dope if, for the new suit, Samus had to defeat certain EMMI's and download their information into her suit for any upgrades to work.
In Fusion's case, her original power suit had to be surgically removed, and even that was apparently a pretty messy process because parts of it were integrated deep into her nervous system. Zero Mission (and I think Other M...?) show the suit materializing around her when summoning it, IIRC. Otherwise, I wouldn't be surprised if Samus can modify minute aspects of the suit on her own.

I actually really appreciated that Fusion went out of it's way to explain that Samus' upgrades in that game were worked on externally by the Galactic Federation and downloaded to her suit via the data stations. Though I imagine that was also done because that's far easier to explain in the narrative than Chozo Statues being on the space station for whatever reason.

I think Prime 2 hinted that the tech behind the Screw Attack may have been a Luminoth invention that the Chozo eventually adopted when trading tech stuff between them, but I know Prime Lore =/= numbered entry lore, so I won't kick that hornet's nest.

Freshmaker

Oct 28, 2017

If it was designed by the Chozo and they're extinct, why does it always change in appearance, sometimes drastically (as in the case of Fusion or Dread)? And how does it form around Samus' body? Has Metroid lore ever covered that? Also I think it'd be dope if, for the new suit, Samus had to defeat certain EMMI's and download their information into her suit for any upgrades to work. Maybe you could also upload virus packages into EMMI's to expose their weaknesses or for information on how to activate different suit components.
I was thinking about the nature of her armor. I think the easiest explanation is its a nanomachine colony. The most reasonable need for her to constantly need to pick up the upgrades again and again would be that the armor requires too much power to maintain the powerups indefinitely so nanomachine seeds get sent out when Samus lands on a planet and form where relevant minerals facilitate their construction.

Jet Jaguar

Dec 3, 2017
Damn, I've been feeling this way for like the past 2 weeks but didn't want to say anything because I know how toxic the fanbase can get. This thread was fun but then it took this weird slide into this reverse objectification with a bunch of dudes huddling together dictating what a fictional woman's body should look like, what her personality should be, and now what kind of space suit heels she's allowed to have. There's room for discussion on these subjects but some of you are going a little overboard.

100% agree.

The priorities are all wrong.

Samus has blue cheese smelly feet and it's because the heels are under a microscope. What about her athlete foot? Is the skin on her heels etched away by the suit? Corns on the little toe?

We need to ask the hard questions. Where's Dorito Pope when you need him?!

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
I think Prime 2 hinted that the tech behind the Screw Attack may have been a Luminoth invention that the Chozo eventually adopted when trading tech stuff between them, but I know Prime Lore =/= numbered entry lore, so I won't kick that hornet's nest.
This is the lore I'm here for. Though I love how some things about the Chozo tech—in universe—defy normal understanding. I know people lament any focus on the galactic federation's knockoff master chiefs, but I like how they conventional their stuff is compared to Samus' wild technology and weaponry. also excited to potentially see other living Chozo in Dread

I should play echoes, considering prime 1 is my fave game

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
I'm gonna just pretend the last page or two didn't happen

y'all wild

In Fusion's case, her original power suit had to be surgically removed, and even that was apparently a pretty messy process because parts of it were integrated deep into her nervous system. Zero Mission (and I think Other M...?) show the suit materializing around her when summoning it, IIRC. Otherwise, I wouldn't be surprised if Samus can modify minute aspects of the suit on her own.

I actually really appreciated that Fusion went out of it's way to explain that Samus' upgrades in that game were worked on externally by the Galactic Federation and downloaded to her suit via the data stations. Though I imagine that was also done because that's far easier to explain in the narrative than Chozo Statues being on the space station for whatever reason.

Prime isn't canon???
EDIT: Nope *mindblow*

chiller

Apr 23, 2021
I was thinking about the nature of her armor. I think the easiest explanation is its a nanomachine colony. The most reasonable need for her to constantly need to pick up the upgrades again and again would be that the armor requires too much power to maintain the powerups indefinitely so nanomachine seeds get sent out when Samus lands on a planet and form where relevant minerals facilitate their construction.
iirc, the Armor is partially biological (which is what lets the X infect and copy it), and it directly integrates with her body (which is why they have to surgically remove parts of it after the X infection).

Deleted member 34949

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
This is the lore I'm here for. Though I love how some things about the Chozo tech—in universe—defy normal understanding. I know people lament any focus on the galactic federation's knockoff master chiefs, but I like how they conventional their stuff is compared to Samus' wild technology and weaponry. also excited to potentially see other living Chozo in Dread
Assuming that the Chozo in this game (and the ones alluded to in SR) are from a more war-like faction, it makes me wonder if there was some really crazy Chozo tech they kept to themselves and if Samus' power suit can somehow adopt it. Would be a great way to introduce new power-ups (separate from Aeion abilities, that is) for the series.

Like, if what the Chozo gave Samus was what was deemed necessary by the peaceful sect of the race, imagine the crazy shit the warmongers keep around.

Prime isn't canon???
EDIT: Nope *mindblow*
It's canon, just in it's own little bubble relative to the 2D games.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017

If it was designed by the Chozo and they're extinct, why does it always change in appearance, sometimes drastically (as in the case of Fusion or Dread)? And how does it form around Samus' body? Has Metroid lore ever covered that? Also I think it'd be dope if, for the new suit, Samus had to defeat certain EMMI's and download their information into her suit for any upgrades to work. Maybe you could also upload virus packages into other EMMI's to expose weaknesses on how to defeat them.
Not going to touch on Fusion and Dread, since there are legitimate lore reasons for her suit changing appearance in those. The intro to Fusion explains everything you need to know about why she looks so different.

The Varia Suit changes appearance repeatedly, because devs just don't care about consistency, and wanna re-design something that already works. It's supposed to be the same Varia Suit, so it really shouldn't be changing in appearance very much, but again: devs don't care, they just wanna do their own thing (with the exception of Retro Studios, which I'll touch on in a moment).

Here's Samus's Varia Suit in Metroid 2:
Metroid2_poster_front.png
Then Super:
Pretty consistent, right? Clearly the exact same suit.

Then, let's take a look at her Varia Suit in Prime:
Again: very consistent. It's essentially just the classic designs, re-interpreted for a 3D space. The proportions are a bit less bulky, and there are a couple added features and alterations, here and there, but you can tell it's still the same 'ol Varia Suit.

Next, Prime 2 & 3's:
They've made further changes, altering the shape of the visor, among other things. I think Prime 2 and 3 are peak Varia Suit. Faithful to the design from Metroid 2, yet also different in subtle ways.

This is the point where the various artists and designers across a couple different dev teams start to think they can meaningfully improve upon / make major changes to the classic design.

Other M's Varia Suit.
What happened to any detail in the design? Various visual features have been eliminated, only to be replaced by generic lines everywhere.

What happened to the shoulders? Why do they now need to be so perfectly round, all of the sudden? What happened to the ridges of the older designs?

What happened to the arm cannon? It's been smoothed-out, and now resembles a toy, more than a weapon.

Why is the suit so shiny now, all of the sudden? It makes Samus look like a cheap action figure.

Yeah... I consider the Other M Varia Suit to be a low point, for sure.

Moving on to Samus Returns.
I don't think I need to tell you the ways in which this really isn't anything faithful to the original Metroid 2 design.

The shoulders have now become comically oversized beyond reason.

There are bright, glowing, showy green lights all over the place, whereas in previous designs (Retro's), they were more subtle, and well-incorporated.

The visor has been made to appear slimmer, and it really doesn't even look like a visor anymore, it's just a bright, glowing Y shape. You can't even see her eyes behind it, even though you absolutely could in previous games. It suggests less that there's a human behind the armor, and more that Samus is just a robot, or something. The exhaust ports on the shoulders contribute to that perception, as well.

Much like in Other M, Samus still looks like a cheap, shiny, spray-painted action figure, too.

Sorry for the large post, but yeah... the more recent Varia Suits are not good, in my eyes, and at points, they don't even appear to try to suggest that this is the same suit, the same character. Going back to your original question: the suit looks different because the devs decide they want to mix things up, and the end result isn't always great, sadly.

Deleted member 34949

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I do like Samus Returns' Varia suit, but I do feel like it does go a bit overboard on the green lighting, yeah. The Prime Varia suit had it too, but they were there to break up the black that was used there, making it seem like a sequence of lights, not one overly bright light strip.

It's funny, because I don't feel like the similar additional lighting on SR's Gravity Suit hurt it at all; I think it actually elevates it. But that's probably because light blue works as a better contrast to purple than green does for orange in this instance.

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
I like the Samus Returns suit. It looks fierce. The shoulders look like massive balloons, but I've always assumed that the shoulders are a part of the morph ball mechanism that she rolls up into. I know that's not true because you typically get the ball before the varia suit, but I like to think that anyways.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
The SR Varia Suit isn't horrible or anything, to be clear, but I really do appreciate Retro's interpretation of that look, more so than anyone else's. It's the perfect transition from 2D, to 3D. Their artists are something else, man. Seriously looking forward to what they do with not only Prime 4's Varia Suit (likely just a higher-fidelity version of previous designs, if I had to guess), but also any brand new suits that Samus will inevitably acquire. Light and PED are some GOATs.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
It's not just because of that. A million things in games don't make sense and we don't argue about all of them. Some people find heels to be a feature which objectify women, which I will respect if that's what I'm told, but if I'm being honest it makes no sense to me. Exaggerated military heels used on most characters look cool, but don't look sexy at all.
Sexism & misogyny isn't that hard to understand. It's one-sided & non-sensical that a battle-hardened veteran like Samus would be running around in life or death situations in heels, only because she's a woman.

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
While I overall like Samus' Dread Power Suit, I really hate how they made the visor look in this game and Samus Returns. Personally, I think it's way too slim and "sharp" looking and in general I prefer the wider and more "blocky" looking visors of previous designs.

That being said, one thing I really like about it is how the color scheme and overall look of the suit is so radically different than other designs. One of my big issues with Metroid games post-super is how they all essentially use the same basic suit design with slight variations in terms of color (see how the phazon suit is just a recolour of the varia suit).

I also really hope we finally get some new suit upgrades and that we don't just get Super's suit progression again (power -> varia -> gravity). It's a little tiring how almost every Metroid game since Super has almost the exact same suit progression (with the exception of Prime 2 and 3). I really want Dread to have some cool new suits with unique abilities that we haven't seen before.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sexism & misogyny isn't that hard to understand. It's one-sided & non-sensical that a battle-hardened veteran like Samus would be running around in life or death situations in heels, only because she's a woman.
Some heels are sexist, some are not. Stilettos, sure. But tons of characters, men and women (including multiple Samus iterations), have heels that are based on military boot designs. Their heels are exaggerated of course, but it's not for the purpose of making them sex objects. It's because it makes them look cool, which is the reason Samus has pretty much all of her abilities such as morph ball transformation, giant shoulder pads, an arm cannon, etc. (Varia Suit Samus that is. Zero Suit Samus is complete trash and should be retconned).

Which goes to show that lack of realism is not the best indicator of sexism. ZSS is way more realistic for a woman to wear than the VSS (which would completely mangle you and rip your body to shreds if you got in that suit). Yet ZSS is a far more sexist design.

Oct 27, 2017
Nanomachines could give that appearance. Easy retcon.
And an incredibly lame and generic one. Having a bio armor is way cooler than nanomachines which is done everywhere. Not to mention suit systems no longer functioning because they've essentially died/atrophied is cooler than just because they were damaged

That being said, one thing I really like about it is how the color scheme and overall look of the suit is so radically different than other designs. One of my big issues with Metroid games post-super is how they all essentially use the same basic suit design with slight variations in terms of color (see how the phazon suit is just a recolour of the varia suit).
If you're considering the phazon suit, it means we're considering the Prime suits, so I don't know how you can say they're the same design with variations considering all the unique suits that have been in the Prime games

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure the in-universe explanation for Samus' armor for a while is that it's some kind of solid light that just forms around her like a magical girl.

Now what should happen after Fusion is that the suit is literally a biological shell that morphs onto her like Venom because Samus is a horrifying chimera of human, chozo, metroid, and X at this stage.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
Not going to touch on Fusion and Dread, since there are legitimate lore reasons for her suit changing appearance in those. The intro to Fusion explains everything you need to know about why she looks so different.

The Varia Suit changes appearance repeatedly, because devs just don't care about consistency, and wanna re-design something that already works. It's supposed to be the same Varia Suit, so it really shouldn't be changing in appearance very much, but again: devs don't care, they just wanna do their own thing (with the exception of Retro Studios, which I'll touch on in a moment).

Here's Samus's Varia Suit in Metroid 2:

Then Super:

Pretty consistent, right? Clearly the exact same suit.

Then, let's take a look at her Varia Suit in Prime:

Again: very consistent. It's essentially just the classic designs, re-interpreted for a 3D space. The proportions are a bit less bulky, and there are a couple added features and alterations, here and there, but you can tell it's still the same 'ol Varia Suit.

Next, Prime 2 & 3's:

They've made further changes, altering the shape of the visor, among other things. I think Prime 2 and 3 are peak Varia Suit. Faithful to the design from Metroid 2, yet also different in subtle ways.

This is the point where the various artists and designers across a couple different dev teams start to think they can meaningfully improve upon / make major changes to the classic design.

Other M's Varia Suit.

What happened to any detail in the design? Various visual features have been eliminated, only to be replaced by generic lines everywhere.

What happened to the shoulders? Why do they now need to be so perfectly round, all of the sudden? What happened to the ridges of the older designs?

What happened to the arm cannon? It's been smoothed-out, and now resembles a toy, more than a weapon.

Why is the suit so shiny now, all of the sudden? It makes Samus look like a cheap action figure.

Yeah... I consider the Other M Varia Suit to be a low point, for sure.

Moving on to Samus Returns.

I don't think I need to tell you the ways in which this really isn't anything faithful to the original Metroid 2 design.

There are bright, glowing, showy green lights all over the place, whereas in previous designs (Retro's), they were more subtle, and well-incorporated.

The visor has been made to appear slimmer, and it really doesn't even look like a visor anymore, it's just a bright, glowing Y shape. You can't even see her eyes behind it, even though you absolutely could in previous games. It suggests less that there's a human behind the armor, and more that Samus is just a robot, or something. The exhaust ports on the shoulders contribute to that perception, as well.

Much like in Other M, Samus still looks like a cheap, shiny, spray-painted action figure, too.

Sorry for the large post, but yeah... the more recent Varia Suits are not good, in my eyes, and at points, they don't even appear to try to suggest that this is the same suit, the same character. Going back to your original question: the suit looks different because the devs decide they want to mix things up, and the end result isn't always great, sadly.
I dislike Other M's design for all the reasons you listed above. It's not bad per se, just a little too clean compared to what came before. If I can say anything good about it, it's that it's utilitarian. The Samus Returns suit is overdesigned to a fault; it resembles fanfiction. My biggest gripe is the visor. It simply wouldn't be useable within its current design. Wouldn't a bounty hunter prioritize a wider FOV? It's like the designers didn't even consider the character. Either that, or Sakamoto overruled them (which I can actually see happening considering Other M's oversexualized Zero Suit).

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I dislike Other M's design for all the reasons you listed above. It's not bad per se, just a little too clean compared to what came before. If I can say anything good about it, it's that it's utilitarian. The Samus Returns suit is overdesigned to a fault; it resembles fanfiction. My biggest gripe is the visor. It simply wouldn't be useable within its current design. Wouldn't a bounty hunter prioritize a wider FOV? It's like the designers didn't even consider the character. Either that, or Sakamoto overruled them (which I can actually see happening considering Other M's oversexualized Zero Suit).
I9ClOVP.png

The Zero Suit is dumb too. I've never liked it.

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
If you're considering the phazon suit, it means we're considering the Prime suits, so I don't know how you can say they're the same design with variations considering all the unique suits that have been in the Prime games
Yeah this issue is more of a Prime 1/ZM/OM/SR thing. One of things I like about Prime 2, 3, and fusion is how different the suits look compared to previous ones. While I may not be a huge fan of the Dark and Light Suits I appreciate that they're not just recoloured varia suits and that they have unique elements to them. Same with the PED suit in 3, even though I don't like how the acid shield upgrade makes it resemble the gravity suit.

Last edited:

Deleted member 34949

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I actually like narrower visor in the SR suit. It resembles a bird talon and kind of reminds you that the whole suit was in fact, made by humanoid bird people. I kinda dig Chozo design touches like that shining through a bit.

Weirdly enough, it seems more pronounced in promo art than the in-game model.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
I do like Samus Returns' Varia suit, but I do feel like it does go a bit overboard on the green lighting, yeah. The Prime Varia suit had it too, but they were there to break up the black that was used there, making it seem like a sequence of lights, not one overly bright light strip.

It's funny, because I don't feel like the similar additional lighting on SR's Gravity Suit hurt it at all; I think it actually elevates it. But that's probably because light blue works as a better contrast to purple than green does for orange in this instance.

SR Gravity Suit might be my favourite in the whole series, and I used to like it less than the Varia Suit in its respective games. The darker purple, the neon strips, and overall suit design is just incredible.
More like badass beyond reason.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I love what Retro did with the Varia Suit. Prime 2 is probably my favorite suit of them all, well that is before her new suit in Dread was revealed. Dread suit best suit. Also do we know if Samus can alter the suit herself? Obviously the reason it always looks different is because artists just want to do something different but I think its pretty fair to say Samus can alter the suit herself.

Also I think Returns suit has such large shoulders because the entire suit is more exaggerated and that probably has something to do with the size and resolution of the 3DS screen.

OsakaDon

Oct 29, 2017
Osaka, Japan
It would be fun to see a return to her normal yellow suit that Samus starts out with in Super Metroid.
They should try making new suit ideas that follow that branch of ideas. Have more variety in the design. They don't all have to have giant shoulder pads.
Although I do think it looks cool in some designs, it doesn't have to be the only design choice.

648c470f6ec1d6ab3f6f741c094d322e.jpg

fe537c3e9a76860e610654998feb63a6.jpg

303e1841ac5e726e9f8e0006762c6680.png

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I've always had a soft spot for the power suit. The varia suit is built like a fucking tank and it's great but the power suit has a nice simplified look to it without resorting to just eliminating detail like Other M.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Some heels are sexist, some are not. Stilettos, sure. But tons of characters, men and women (including multiple Samus iterations), have heels that are based on military boot designs. Their heels are exaggerated of course, but it's not for the purpose of making them sex objects. It's because it makes them look cool, which is the reason Samus has pretty much all of her abilities such as morph ball transformation, giant shoulder pads, an arm cannon, etc. (Varia Suit Samus that is. Zero Suit Samus is complete trash and should be retconned).

Which goes to show that lack of realism is not the best indicator of sexism. ZSS is way more realistic for a woman to wear than the VSS (which would completely mangle you and rip your body to shreds if you got in that suit). Yet ZSS is a far more sexist design.
It doesn't have to make her " a sex object" for it to be total BS.

Oct 27, 2017
I havent played it yet but didnt the end of metroid 2 referenced prime with the appearance of

Proteus ridley?

so like they definitively do take place within the 2D timeline between metroid 1 and 2

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
It would be fun to see a return to her normal yellow suit that Samus starts out with in Super Metroid.
They should try making new suit ideas that follow that branch of ideas. Have more variety in the design. They don't all have to have giant shoulder pads.
Although I do think it looks cool in some designs, it doesn't have to be the only design choice.

648c470f6ec1d6ab3f6f741c094d322e.jpg
That power suit is incredible. Love how the chest piece and shoulders blend into a seamless line. I'd take that over the Varia all day.

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
I've always had a soft spot for the power suit. The varia suit is built like a fucking tank and it's great but the power suit has a nice simplified look to it without resorting to just eliminating detail like Other M.
This might be a controversial opinion, but Zero Mission's basic power suit is legitimately one of my favourite designs in the entire series.

latest
Power_Suit_zm_Artwork.png

There's just something that feels so imposing about it despite Samus not looking like a walking armory like she does in the legendary power suit.

Deleted member 34949

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Zero Mission has my favorite depiction of the base Power suit (And I was really happy to see it in Prime 1), but I'll always have a soft spot for the Metroid II depiction of it in the instruction manual and such:

I actually really like the in-game model for it in Samus Returns. The concept art looks alright, but it looks suitably sleeker (and a lot more Zero Mission esque) in-game.

b6ad9ed58a89f8ac688e542592d696d901f8e0a7_00.gif

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
so let me get this straight. People are worked up about the Dread suit's heels. The ones that don't look stiletto or anything like the pointed heels associated with women's clothing.

The Dread Suit's heels.

The big clonky looking boot-like heels.

Those.

Uh huh.

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Why do we call that ZM suit the legendary power suit? Is it not just the gravity suit lol?
The suit with the big shoulders is supposed to be a completely different suit to the one Samus starts ZM in. It's more advanced than her previous one and can actually use the plasma beam and gravity suit upgrades while her previous one was incompatible with them. IIRC you can tell the suits are different because the old power suit doesn't have big shoulders, even with the varia suit upgrade.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
What actually goes inside those big shoulder spheres?

I took it to be cooling conduits, but I saw some explanation elsewhere saying those are where missiles are stored.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017

I took it to be cooling conduits, but I saw some explanation elsewhere saying those are where missiles are stored.

I mean cooling would make sense since the main function of the Varia suit is letting you go into rooms with extremely hot temperatures.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017

They seem to be ornamental or something, no explanation makes sense as it's not consistent from suit to suit.

I mean cooling would make sense since the main function of the Varia suit is letting you go into rooms with extremely hot temperatures.
It would make sense, had it not been for Zero Mission showing that the Varia Suit functions just as well without them.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017

If it was designed by the Chozo and they're extinct, why does it always change in appearance, sometimes drastically (as in the case of Fusion or Dread)? And how does it form around Samus' body? Has Metroid lore ever covered that? Also I think it'd be dope if, for the new suit, Samus had to defeat certain EMMI's and download their information into her suit for any upgrades to work. Maybe you could also upload virus packages into EMMI's to expose their weaknesses or for information on how to activate different suit components.

It was designed by the Chozo FOR Samus. They raised her and trained her specifically to be able to use the suit. She is the only person in the universe with the physiology and training capable of using the suit. They wanted her to correct their mistakes and save the universe. They didn't go extinct, they just moved to some other planet.

As for why it changes, there's no definitive answer. It has biological components and it forms by materializing, so it's possible the suit can change itself like nanomachines. I like to think the Dread Suit is a result of her suit just repairing itself in the time between Fusion and Dread.

iirc, the Armor is partially biological (which is what lets the X infect and copy it), and it directly integrates with her body (which is why they have to surgically remove parts of it after the X infection).
Close. They had to surgically remove it because the only other way to remove it was for Samus to dematerialize it and she couldn't do that while unconscious. The suit wasn't physically stuck to her body.
Why do we call that ZM suit the legendary power suit? Is it not just the gravity suit lol?
The suit with the big shoulders is supposed to be a completely different suit to the one Samus starts ZM in. It's more advanced than her previous one and can actually use the plasma beam and gravity suit upgrades while her previous one was incompatible with them. IIRC you can tell the suits are different because the old power suit doesn't have big shoulders, even with the varia suit upgrade.
I think it works better if the Legendary Power Suit is just the same suit she had with its full potential unlocked. Similar to how her suit upgrades are called X Suit but aren't completely different suits. The Legendary Power Suit was an upgrade that permanently affected all the other upgrades. She still had her power suit and all the upgrades she collected with her when she fought the mirror test. The test just upgraded her suit to have bigger pauldrons and the ability to use the 3 upgrades that her suit couldn't use before.