• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018
Vjx0Z8n.gif

I'm so hyped for this holy shit!!!!

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why, but those story focused trailer are falling short for me.

The gameplay looks fast though, which is nice.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It wasn't, but that's because basically nobody in their right mind would consider *you should bomb blocks everywhere to find out if they're interactable* a fun mechanic, so of course when we're given a different implementation that vastly decreases the tediousness, it feels "balanced around it", despite the ubiquitousness of it in the series prior to that point. If you added the pulse to old games, they would similarly immediately feel balanced around it.
I respectfully disagree with you on this one. Older games (Super Metroid, Fusion, and Zero Mission specifically) used a ton more visual cues to denote where a lot of the secrets are hidden. Plus Super Metroid also gave you the scanner eventually, which was similar in function.

Samus Returns had smooth walls everywhere with a lot less visual cues to denote secrets because they wanted you to just use the radar instead. It wasn't as great from a level design perspective, but I do think the game was balanced around it.

Regardless, in all the games, it became easy to find the secrets once you had the super bombs - they pretty much cleared the screen and revealed the nature all of the blocks anyway. Walking into a room and laying a super bomb wasn't considered "easy mode" or "unbalanced". So why is the radar thingy? It's the same function without the destructive element.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Holy crap, imagine if they led with this trailer. All my fears about Mercury Steam are put to rest, this is even more shooty and platforming than Super Metroid.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Looks wonderful.

It feels like only a while ago that mercurysteam had a quite lackluster foray into the metroidvania genre with castlevania mirror of fate. This is like night and day and super excited to see the game and what comes next from them.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
With the trailer ending I do wonder if her fusion had more side-effects we don't know about yet.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I bought a Switch for this game, and it looks like I made the right call.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Whoooooooooo that looks fantastic, I can't believe we're really getting this

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Announcement trailer didn't do a lot for me, but this looks really cool. IN!

Blitzwolf215

Oct 26, 2017
Evil rival Chozo Warrior!!!

This game is turning into everything I dreamed of for a new 2D Metroid game!

Can't Wait!

MegaMetroid

Alt-Account
Banned
May 16, 2021
Didn't watch it fully,too spoilery, but it seems the budget for this seems way bigger than the last one.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sorry to blaspheme. I still think the head neck shoulders area looks a bit oddly proportioned.

Looks incredible though. Gameplay seems so dynamic.