• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
Sounds fair. I prefer boring implementations like this one, than locking relevant content behind aminos (hard mode, skins. etc).

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Its pretty easy to clone amiibo data on NFC cards, coins, etc and there are I think etsy sellers who make cute versions of this kind of stuff so thats an option for those who don't want to pay scalper prices and aren't amiibo collectors. You just need to buy NFC 215 compliant implementations. and yeah, for stuff like this its resellers winning, the amiibos have sold out in literal seconds when they were put up on walmart and gamestop, you can pay ~$50 for a single one from Germany Amazon ($30 msrp) right now to ship to USA. It'll probably go for $80+ on eBay when it launches.

I don't think its ever ok tying advantages to DLC, whether its digital or physical like amiibo. Its magnified even worse by the fact that Nintendo is absolute shit at manufacturing enough stuff to meet demand... ever. The Animal Crossing Hello Kitty Target exclusive amiibos sold a few months ago sell for 500%+ markup on eBay still, I was lucky to get a set for my wife on launch day but they sold out online (only sold online) in seconds and I don't think its ever restocked.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its pretty easy to clone amiibo data on NFC cards, coins, etc and there are I think etsy sellers who make cute versions of this kind of stuff so thats an option for those who don't want to pay scalper prices and aren't amiibo collectors. You just need to buy NFC 215 compliant implementations. and yeah, for stuff like this its resellers winning, the amiibos have sold out in literal seconds when they were put up on walmart and gamestop, you can pay ~$50 for a single one from Germany Amazon ($30 msrp) right now to ship to USA. It'll probably go for $80+ on eBay when it launches.

I don't think its ever ok tying advantages to DLC, whether its digital or physical like amiibo. Its magnified even worse by the fact that Nintendo is absolute shit at manufacturing enough stuff to meet demand... ever. The Animal Crossing Hello Kitty Target exclusive amiibos sold a few months ago sell for 500%+ markup on eBay still, I was lucky to get a set for my wife on launch day but they sold out online (only sold online) in seconds and I don't think its ever restocked.
We have people arguing that, that is piracy....

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
Heh, I quoted the wrong post. Agreed on the game mode part tho.
To be clear, I am in no way trying to defend Nintendo's decision with this amiibo.

I guess people REALLY hate it when they are tied to unlockable costumes or pets or whatever so it seems this is what we will be getting instead, bland inconsequential stuff that still feels weirdly unnecessary and gate keepy.

I'm really ambivalent towards it but if someone finds it scummy I can't really argue with that either.

Personally I liked the idea of them adding features and interactivity to the games, I thought the point of amiibo is that they weren't just statues but I do get the controversy.

It would be better if they weren't so damn hard to find

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
You can tell who hasn't played Metroid lol

I saw it and immediately went "that's it?"

this is far from an easy mode, it barelt makes a difference at all. It's like mercury steam went "well we gotta give the amiibo something, let's make it useless as possible"

BossLackey

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Good luck getting one at the moment. Hopefully there will be sufficient stock, but these are getting snatched up within a few seconds that preorders are available.

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
We have people arguing that, that is piracy....

I mean, it might be on a legal basis. IANAL but I think the data written onto an Amiibo's NFC chip would be considered Nintendo's property under copyright and unauthorised copying of that would likely fall under piracy. I could be very wrong on this though and I'd love to see an expert's input.

On a moral basis? I could never turn up my nose at anyone using a clone, and I would be very surprised if the Switch could even tell you're using one.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
You can tell who hasn't played Metroid lol

I saw it and immediately went "that's it?"

this is far from an easy mode, it barelt makes a difference at all. It's like mercury steam went "well we gotta give the amiibo something, let's make it useless as possible"

It's like scanning a specific Zelda amiibo to get a single heart piece in BOTW. Not a full container, a single piece.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
It's actually almost exactly the same as getting a full heart, in terms of the percentage health increase. The fact that it is a huge amount more early on is not insignificant.

In the Treehouse demo they showed (which is presumably fairly early on the game) there's already at least one health tank and missile tank available in the first ten minutes of the game. That's not taking into consideration any that might be hidden. Unless the game is way harder than any prior Metroid that should be more than enough for the opening hour of the game. Especially this one, that has the melee counter.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
In the Treehouse demo they showed (which is presumably fairly early on the game) there's already at least one health tank and missile tank available in the first ten minutes of the game. That's not taking into consideration any that might be hidden. Unless the game is way harder than any prior Metroid that should be more than enough for the opening hour of the game. Especially this one, that has the melee counter.
Not sure how that is relevant? Unless the game in total has like four times as many energy tanks as normal, it's still a not insignificant amount of extra health.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Just like Skyward Sword I'll rent the game and not buy because of this bullshit. Folks sweep it under the rug saying the game isn't too hard or the bonus isn't that big of a deal but it's the principle of the matter. MTX of any kind outside of cosmetics are ridiculous.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Not sure how that is relevant? Unless the game in total has like four times as many energy tanks as normal, it's still a not insignificant amount of extra health.

My point is, one health tank isn't a lot. You're getting more health in the easiest part of the game, where you already get an easy health boost early on. If you're struggling you're going to struggle whether you have two health tanks or three. If you're not struggling you won't notice the difference. And shortly thereafter you'll discover more and more and it'll become more and more insignificant.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
That seems fine?

I like amiibos for being cheap, decent-quality figures first and foremost. I prefer them being inconsequential benefits rather than locking modes behind them like Samus Returns or Twilight Princess HD.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I'll continue not buying Amiibo or games that lock big content behind it. This iteration seems minor so it won't factor into whether I get this or not. However, I still think amiibo are the worst goddamn implementation of DLC ever invented (well, maybe not worse than loot boxes but it's damn close) and understand why people would still complain about this iteration.

Digital content solely tied to a finite physical product sucks ass

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Why is it I never even thought about that until you just said it?

Like, I guess when I saw the Smash figures revealed, I was disappointed, but never thought about what it could've been.
All the toys to life games burnt out though, some pretty spectacularly. Nintendo's call to make them interact with a variety of games without having to support a singular ongoing live game was probably the right one. In fact, the game they built around amiibos, Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival crashed hard and dragged down the intended amiibo line.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Disney Infinity actually was turning a profit. But DCP killed it because it wasn't useful to the marketing arm of the company. They wanted it to push 'new' Marvel characters onto kids, ones they didn't know about, which is why you had shelves full of Yondu and Venom.
They just assumed that they'd sell, regardless of which character it was. And that turned out to be not what happened.

Had Disney not vaporized Disney Interactive entirely, it'd still be around.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Disney Infinity actually was turning a profit. But DCP killed it because it wasn't useful to the marketing arm of the company. They wanted it to push 'new' Marvel characters onto kids, ones they didn't know about, which is why you had shelves full of Yondu and Venom.
They just assumed that they'd sell, regardless of which character it was. And that turned out to be not what happened.

Had Disney not vaporized Disney Interactive entirely, it'd still be around.
This is crushing news to hear. I was led to believe it tanked.

I loved those games 😔

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
If anything that should make it worse for two reasons. The first is because it's much more expensive than traditional DLC. The Amiibo that gives you that enhanced fast travel functionality in SSHD costs $25. If that's a feature you really want then it comes at a crazy price. The same goes for other Amiibo's that may lock something important behind one. And the second is that they're very limited. You may not even be able to use that feature even if you're okay with paying out for an Amiibo because they sell out. So it's basically expensive and time limited DLC.
It's not a feature you should have an intense want for unless you find Skyward Sword extremely difficult. People act like it's comparable to the swift sail in Wind Waker HD but that's simply not the case.

1. It lets you return to the sky from anywhere on the surface without having to use a bird statue. It also works inside dungeons.

This is every bird statue on Skyward Sword's surface.
E2DoclYUcAQqev1

This isn't a game like BotW or Wind Waker. There are warp points everywhere. It's an area smaller than the Great Plateau but it has 28 warp points. You'll never have a sudden need to travel to the sky and be so far from a bird statue that talking to Fi and scanning the amiibo would be faster.

It works in dungeons, but bird statues in dungeons warp you to the exit where you can use the bird statue at the dungeon entrance to warp to the sky. Using the amiibo cuts out this extra step, sure, but you'd only ever do this if you find the dungeon too difficult, lose all your supplies, and need to return to Skyloft to buy more.

After using it you still have to fly on the loftwing and cross the sky.

2. Using it in the sky warps you straight back to the last place you used the amiibo.

This sounds like a good feature since you can warp from skyloft to the surface without having to fly on the loftwing. However the way he game is structured you pretty much never leave the surface, go to the sky, and return to the same surface area you just left. You go to the sky to go somewhere else. Being able to warp like this won't make the game any quicker.

The function of the amiibo is not to make traversing the game quicker. It's an emergency exit for people that need extra help. Players that find a dungeon too difficult can use it to leave the dungeon, fly to Skyloft, restock on potions, shields, arrows etc, and then warp straight back to the dungeon right where they left off. You can argue that it's shitty locking this feature behind an amiibo as an accessibility option, but that's not what most of the people up in arms about it are upset about.

The "slow" part of traversing Skyward Sword is crossing the sky on the loftwing, and the amiibo does nothing to alleviate that.

Past Zelda amiibos were more efficient with this kind of help. Scan an amiibo and the amiibo just gives you hearts or items you need. This makes you have to fly to Skyloft and buy the items.

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
Seems fine. Amiibo are basically just cool figures that sometimes give you free bonus items or whatever in a game. I prefer that over unlocking Hard Mode or whatever.

I loved those games 😔
If I'm not mistaken, it was already well ahead of Skylanders in popularity and commercial success by the time Disney killed it. I'm sure Disney prefers the licensing deals they've been doing ever since, but it's hard not to see just how much they dropped the ball with killing Infinity prematurely like they did.

IIRC, even LEGO Dimensions was doing pretty alright for itself as well, but like Disney, Warner Bros. didn't see it be as profitable as quickly as they would have preferred, so that too went into the dustbin of history. It's a shame, too, since it sounded like they had some really impressive licenses coming down the pipeline had it continued that are pretty much guaranteed to not be touched by LEGO themselves.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

I loved those games 😔
Oh yeah. It ended terrible, too. I mean, I was able to pick up a Peter Pan figure because they started production of those right as the game was killed off. Disney was brutal killing off their games division.

What is just as bittersweet was the very first game. The reason the PotC segment is so huge is because it reused a ton of levels and assets that were originally planned for Armada of the Damned.