• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, it's just a kinda pointless bonus to the amiibo itself, I wouldn't try to make a big deal outta it. You still are 100% just paying for the figurines.
I refuse to believe there will be people who will buy amiibo for the upgrades.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, too bad you don't get to choose which part of my message is more important. Plenty of others here, who share my opinion, maybe they'll be more willing to elaborate on why game, that would cost $60 18 years ago shouldn't be costing $60 now if it's such a mystery for you.
I didn't evaluate what part of your message was important, I asked about the part I wanted to know more information about. But it's fine, you haven't really provided any insight beyond games "new games in 2002 sold at full price, so new games now... shouldn't?" so I don't expect to get anything of value from continuing on anyway.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing that bugs me about the weird amiibo P2W stuff is that it makes these games unnecessarily easier, but the crowd that MOST wants that functionality is small children - aka hey kids, bug your parents for this extra toy to make the game better for you.

Just feels gross.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I love it when ingame upgrades are locked behind plastic paywalls. Lock a new teleport feature or another difficulty mode next.

?

I have a problem with how the Zelda Amiibo handle the QoL teleport feature, but Samus Return already did that about the difficulty and it's not back with this new game, and I doubt will do, at least for Metroid games.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
makes sense. stuff like this is the easiest way to add "amiibo features" without adding substantial thing that will make people without amiibos to feel left out

Jan 29, 2018
I'm going to assume that the game is balanced without this extra energy tank/missile expansion in mind, so I don't really care. This really feels like the bare minimum of "these amiibos should do something", so whatever.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Or from the same dev, which is why I won't be paying full price for this. Mercury Steam has never made a game worth that price to me.
See, that's fair to me if you don't like the developer or their past output. I more side eye the assertion that 2D games are low effort or of less value than other games.

Saito

Oct 25, 2017
Luckily not something awesome because nobody but scalpers will actually get these.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I don't buy amiibos so excuse my ignorance, but, don't people buy them more as a collector's item to put on a bookshelf and the like? I always figured that linking them to your game was just a small digital perk for purchasing them, not the main draw.

90% of the time it's just a neat little cosmetic thing or bonus item for owning a figure of a character you really like. The biggest exception is Codename STEAM which locked four playable Fire Emblem characters behind their Amiibo (which were impossible to get at the time but less so later on). New Horizons locked Sanrio content behind Amiibo, and I believe there was content locked in New Leaf too. BOTW had Wolf Link locked behind an Amiibo too but I 'believe' those are the three released games with the biggest content locks behind them.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
People give EA and Ubisoft shit for MTX in games, but this sounds worse to me. Should be cosmetic only, especially in full-priced games.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People give EA and Ubisoft shit for MTX in games, but this sounds worse to me. Should be cosmetic only, especially in full-priced games.
It's a stupid bonus for buying a figure. The main draw is the figure, not the content.
Do you get a figure when you buy the mtx from EA/Ubisoft (with ubisoft that can be a yes if you use that one space toys to life game they had a few years back as the sole example)

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
It's more or less hex editing, because the content is in the game, the amiibo is an unlocker. It's a weird area but if it was sold in stores doesn't that make it legal (when it's advertised for amiibo)
Is still content that you need to pay for, so pretty sure that is still piracy

Jun 20, 2018
Seems a bit weird to me people are okay with this. They get mad if the difficulty they want to play is unlocked through an amiibo, but okay if it's a difficulty level meant for someone else? It's horrible. Nintendo fans are quick enough to moan at other publishers for doing this, but Nintendo are locking stuff away behind amiibos that are way more expensive than a simple 'unlock' purchase would be for most other games.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
Seems a bit weird to me people are okay with this. They get mad if the difficulty they want to play is unlocked through an amiibo, but okay if it's a difficulty level meant for someone else? It's horrible. Nintendo fans are quick enough to moan at other publishers for doing this, but Nintendo are locking stuff away behind amiibos that are way more expensive than a simple 'unlock' purchase would be for most other games.

this is the equivalent of locking 50 coins in a mario game behind an amiibo. you get tons of energy tanks and missiles in the game

Deleted member 63122

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
My take is that a figurine is better than Digital only thing. When the online or whatever gets shut down, you lose everything. With the amiibo, you have something tangible and the majority of them go up in price if you want to sell.

I guess to each their own.

I'm going to assume that the game is balanced without this extra energy tank/missile expansion in mind, so I don't really care. This really feels like the bare minimum of "these amiibos should do something", so whatever.
While there still is a chance that the other Metroid amiibo can offer further unlocks, the fact that their brand-spanking new amiibo amount to rather minor boosts seems to imply anything that, say, Dark Samus could do would be just as fluffy.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
It's a stupid bonus for buying a figure. The main draw is the figure, not the content.
Do you get a figure when you buy the mtx from EA/Ubisoft (with ubisoft that can be a yes if you use that one space toys to life game they had a few years back as the sole example)
No, their MT's are also far from 30$.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo locks hard mode behind an amiibo: Outrage

Nintendo locks easy mode behind an amiibo:
This is fine

As someone who sucks at 2D Metroid games, I kinda hate this. Just give me a digital deluxe edition with the upgrades and keep your overpriced toys that sell out immediately due to scalpers...

Bingle Bango

Sep 13, 2018

It's because it's Nintendo and there have been more egregious Amiibos previously. Doesn't make this any less completely stupid. Is it that hard to make it cosmetics only?

sensui-tomo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is fine

As someone who sucks at 2D Metroid games, I kinda hate this. Just give me a digital deluxe edition with the upgrades and keep your overpriced toys that sell out immediately due to scalpers...
Where is the easy mode... is a heart and extra missle really going to make it go from normal to easy like *snap* ?

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Won't that technically be piracy since you are getting content without paying for the thing that you need to get it?
Not really, it's sort of the same thing as using one of those trainer programs on a PC games. Selling the modification might land you in hot water if they're feeling litigious but it's much more of a grey area than pirating a game outright.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My take is that a figurine is better than Digital only thing. When the online or whatever gets shut down, you lose everything. With the amiibo, you have something tangible and the majority of them go up in price if you want to sell.

I guess to each their own.
If amiibo were collectible enough on their own, they never would've needed this functionality to begin with. It's not like Nintendo never tried random figure lines prior. The universal dlc aspect is the sole reason they ever took off

they also use it to justify them costing triple what they would if they were just toys or justdlc

Deleted member 63122

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
If amiibo were collectible enough on their own, they never would've needed this functionality to begin with. It's not like Nintendo never tried random figure lines prior. The universal dlc aspect is the sole reason they ever took off

they also use it to justify them costing triple what they would if they were just toys or justdlc
I guess there should be a thread with a poll with what motivates people to buy amiibos.

It's because it's Nintendo and there have been more egregious Amiibos previously. Doesn't make this any less completely stupid. Is it that hard to make it cosmetics only?
But what if folks want to play the game with that cosmetic and it's tied to an amiibo that's no longer commercially available? Considering how scarce the first wave of Zelda amiibo got after everyone discovered what they did, I imagine that there would be substantially more outrage for Metroid Dread if it did mean you were missing out in being able to have classic skins for Samus

sensui-tomo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Buy this amiibo to unlock the original Samus outfit (or ZSS) * will not be sold on eshop in future. Tell me this wouldn't piss people off compared to some health and missles.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Amiibo have always been way gross people just don't care because Nintendo
Certain perks hidden behind amiibo are annoying, for sure, like the Samus Returns one and the Skyward Sword one (which people are saying is not a big deal, but still), but I think the reason people don't give them much shit is because they see them are just figurines, the perks are a bonus, if they were straight digital $5 purchases at launch for non-cosmetic stuff it'd probably be a bigger deal for many.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I guess there should be a thread with a poll with what motivates people to buy amiibos.
Ok? Not sure what the point would be. If your thesis is that Amiibo would be what they are today if they just never did anything in games but were just figures, I think it's fair to say you're demonstrably wrong based solely on past evidence. They're like medium quality plastic statues at a price point that is significantly higher than similar tiered figurines.

So if you were looking for a shitty toy, the dlc justifies the purchase, and if you were looking for slight fomo advantages in games, the figure justifies the purchase. Either way it preys upon the fact that people are looking for excuses to buy stupid shit.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018

This is fine

OMG how do people don't get that this is not an easy mode, it literally just a extra health and missile upgrade, stuff that can you easily get in the first 15 minutes on any Metroid game

It would be like if in Breath of the Wild you get an additional Heart Container and a bit of Stamina, does it make it "easy mode"? The answer is no, you still get destroyed by the Guardian

Last edited:

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Where is the easy mode... is a heart and extra missle really going to make it go from normal to easy like *snap* ?
In the beginning of the game this can make a huge difference for newer or less skilled players.

OMG how do people don't get that this is not an easy mode, it literally just some extra health and missiles upgrade, stuff that can easily get in the first 20 minutes on the game
Wow, so you're saying with the amiibo and 20 minutes of playing the game I could have three energy containers instead of just two in total to start off with? That would be dope!

Deleted member 63122

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
Ok? Not sure what the point would be. If your thesis is that Amiibo would be what they are today if they just never did anything in games but were just figures, I think it's fair to say you're demonstrably wrong based solely on past evidence. They're like medium quality plastic statues at a price point that is significantly higher than similar tiered figurines.

So if you were looking for a shitty toy, the dlc justifies the purchase, and if you were looking for slight fomo advantages in games, the figure justifies the purchase. Either way it preys upon the fact that people are looking for excuses to buy stupid shit.
Damn, chill! lol

From my preference, I buy some amiibo because they look cool and barely use them.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
OMG how do people don't get that this is not an easy mode, it literally just some extra health and missiles upgrade, stuff that can easily get in the first 20 minutes on the game
Are you kidding? lol. Those are very literally easy mode inclusions for the first chunk of the game.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Those people are just shitposting
"But what if they never played a metroid game?"
Then why are they in here speaking with certainty on something they know nothing about, instead of asking questions in a non shitpost manner?

In the beginning of the game this can make a huge difference for newer or less skilled players.
The biggest obstacle is going to be the EMMI encounters, for which extra health and missiles mean nothing as they're impervious and throw you into an instant death scenario once they grab you. The regular enemies all appear to practically crap out health pickups and missile ammo as it is.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Show me where the amiibo also unlocks damage and A.I modifiers for this "easy mode"
Since when are those requirements for a game to be easier? Just arbitrary goalposts until we get to 'Nintendo isn't doing something shitty' I suppose.

this is not gonna be a make or break thing for any player of any skill level.

yall really need to play super metroid.
A first time player wouldn't have a significantly easier time in super metroid with an extra energy tank and missile upgrade? Is this is a joke post?

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Since when are those requirements for a game to be easier? Just arbitrary goalposts until we get to 'Nintendo isn't doing something shitty' I suppose.
As a new dad with very limited playtime, avoiding even a few deaths via such an upgrade could really make a difference in the long run.
i guess nothing is going to convince you guys that this isn't anything remotely close to an easy mode. oh well.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019

This is fine

But that's the thing
If amiibo didn't exist, the extra missile and hp tank wouldn't either. It's just a bonus for the amiibo, not balanced for the game.

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
Oh screw off with the shit post here. I've been here just as long as you with 4x as many post.

Why do actual in game benefits that impact playing the game itself that are not cosmetics are not allowed to come under fire at least a bit. Yes this isn't probably a huge deal right now. But if people pay for this who knows what will come next. If not you may end up like EA.

Ok, regardless of the above, a couple of powerups is not a 'game mode' and suggesting that it is, is definitely 100 percent shitposting.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
ResetEra: having 5 extra missiles in Metroid is the same thing as an easy mode. there's absolutely no difference between both concepts. also, it's ableist to not have those extra missiles.

Also ResetEra: tweaking the damage values... in souls games...? that would be a barbaric approach to difficulty, you philistine... you don't understand the true kino of Miyazaki's vision... it would take an entire's game worth of effort to retrofit an easy mode into the experience...

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Certain perks hidden behind amiibo are annoying, for sure, like the Samus Returns one and the Skyward Sword one (which people are saying is not a big deal, but still), but I think the reason people don't give them much shit is because they see them are just figurines, the perks are a bonus, if they were straight digital $5 purchases at launch for non-cosmetic stuff it'd probably be a bigger deal for many.

If anything that should make it worse for two reasons. The first is because it's much more expensive than traditional DLC. The Amiibo that gives you that enhanced fast travel functionality in SSHD costs $25. If that's a feature you really want then it comes at a crazy price. The same goes for other Amiibo's that may lock something important behind one. And the second is that they're very limited. You may not even be able to use that feature even if you're okay with paying out for an Amiibo because they sell out. So it's basically expensive and time limited DLC.