• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Curious whether the PS5/Series X versions will have any of the Hairworks/PhysX stuff or some approximation of it, or tesselation.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Actually I did have another question, Would fully Raytraced Lighting mean no shadow maps? Are all shadows fully Raytraced as well?
Shadows are the lack of light, so they are a byproduct of every RT simulated light. If all light is RT simulated, all shadows should be too and for "free".

In addition, if all GI data is RT simulated and has multiple bounces, AO should be another "free" byproduct because AO is a result of less bounce light hitting occluded areas.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
How is a tiny studio in no-where Europe able to pull off what AAA studios cannot?

They've always been very tech-focused, I remember them having a large deep-drive with Digital Foundry when they released the Redux games (which still look excellent by the way, altough a bit dated on some fronts) on PS4/X1 in 2014. Still a pretty fun read because they were honest about the platforms, hehe:

www.eurogamer.net

Metro Redux: what it's really like to develop for PS4 and Xbox One

As tech interviews go, this one's a corker. Readers of our previous Metro 2033 and Metro Last Light tech Q&As will know…

Hopefully they'll do a similar piece about the Exodus update.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Shadows are the lack of light, so they are a byproduct of every RT simulated light. If all light is RT simulated, all shadows should be too and for "free".

In addition, if all GI data is RT simulated and has multiple bounces, AO should be another "free" byproduct because AO is a result of less bounce light hitting occluded areas.
This. You just put lights and shadows, ssao and every shadow, small shadow and global illumination bounces "just happen". No more work creating shadowmaps, optimizing ssao or using workarounds to simulate bounce lighting. Lots of saved time for devs.

Work then would shift to make materials react accordingly and properly I guess.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
This. You just put lights and shadows, ssao and every shadow, small shadow and global illumination bounces "just happen". No more work creating shadowmaps, optimizing ssao or using workarounds to simulate bounce lighting. Lots of saved time for devs.

Work then would shift to make materials react accordingly and properly I guess.
Yup. No more GI probs placing, no more GI and shadow baking, no more faking baked lights and shadows into textures, and everything is dynamic so it removes limitations which will help scenes be more dynamic (distraction and less static objects). It also makes time of day changes zero effort and solves classical problems like long shadow casting.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
wccftech.com

4A Games Tech Q&A - RTX 3000 Is in a 'Different League' for RT Performance, But AMD's Approach Is More Flexible

4A Games CTO Oleksandr Shyshkovtsov talks to us about next-generation consoles and GPUs, ray tracing implementations and a lot more.

Good interview talking about the differnce between platforms and how AMD appraoch with hybrid RT is different. They are praising AMD approach for hybrid RT, yet they didn't use it. If they did they would have gotten RT reflections without any brute forcing. Hopefully they would use it in their next projects when they shift to more adequate hybrid approach.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I highly recommend people to read about software VRS vs hardware VRS.

research.activision.com

Software-based Variable Rate Shading in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare

This lecture covers a novel rendering pipeline used in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2020).
I barely know anything about this specific subject, but that says software-based VRS has better performance and quality than the hardware-based implementation of it but I thought it was the other way around? At least with the Xbox Series'.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Wait so what's the controller latency improvement thing? 🤔

This sounds awesome tho, maybe it's time for me to check this out. Hope the DualSense stuff is great!

Oct 18, 2020
1440p with reconstruction is just a smarter use of resources than 4k native, especially when AMD reveals whatever solution they have to officially compete with DLSS. Dev-specific implementations can be hit or miss, but most consumers won't notice the difference.
I'd honestly be shocked if it isn't native 4k on ps5/Series x.

I think DF already covered this in the article below:
DF Article covering the original release.

It's already Native 4K on One X, with a little over half of the paper gpu frequency of the ps5
and a considerably slower CPU (disregarding advantages in bandwidth, improvements at the hardware
level with a current gen GPU, etc.)

Native 4k at 60fps is a real possibility.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA

It's already Native 4K on One X, with a little over half of the paper gpu frequency of the ps5
and a considerably slower CPU (disregarding advantages in bandwidth, improvements at the hardware

The blog post already talked about temporal reconstruction for the console versions lol.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
wccftech.com

4A Games Tech Q&A - RTX 3000 Is in a 'Different League' for RT Performance, But AMD's Approach Is More Flexible

4A Games CTO Oleksandr Shyshkovtsov talks to us about next-generation consoles and GPUs, ray tracing implementations and a lot more.

Good interview talking about the differnce between platforms and how AMD appraoch with hybrid RT is different. They are praising AMD approach for hybrid RT, yet they didn't use it. If they did they would have gotten RT reflections without any brute forcing. Hopefully they would use it in their next projects when they shift to more adequate hybrid approach.
Huh? That is not what was said at all in this Interview. They are quite literally using low Level AMD exclusive Code to make the RT run on consoles.

Rock Howard

Oct 28, 2017
Bought the gold edition for PS some time ago and waited for this. If performance holds up this will be one impressive port to next gen!

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017

It's doubtful once RT is introduced. If it was just the same settings as last gen then sure they could mod 4K60FPS.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
1440p with proper reconstruction at 60fps is always always always the way to go, over native 4k.

Demon's Souls is the crown example of this

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
was Demon's Souls gonna have RT but was removed or was that an early error?
I believe that it was an error. I think the details for the game stated that it'd have raytraced shadows? But it was removed before launch and we learned that it didn't have RT a few weeks prior to launch.

EDIT: From the official blog

"From Japan Studio and Bluepoint Games comes a remake of the PlayStation classic, Demon's Souls. In addition to beautiful shadow effects*, players can choose between two graphics modes while playing: one focused on fidelity, and one focused on frame rate.

*This entry has been updated"

So it was a miscommunication from them.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Dang, the console versions sound pretty incredible. I would live to see how nice it looks and runs there, and how the ray tracing stacks up.

Considering my saves got lost due to the early shoddy Epic store version, it's tempting to considering re-playing this on Series X due to the reliable cloud saves. If they can make cross-save work with the MS Store version, there would be little to deter me from playing it there.

DLSS and RT reflections on PC sounds like an amazing way to play though, so I'll probably give the PC version another go once this releases.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
1440p with proper reconstruction at 60fps is always always always the way to go, over native 4k.

I believe that it was an error. I think the details for the game stated that it'd have raytraced shadows? But it was removed before launch and we learned that it didn't have RT a few weeks prior to launch.

EDIT: From the official blog

"From Japan Studio and Bluepoint Games comes a remake of the PlayStation classic, Demon's Souls. In addition to beautiful shadow effects*, players can choose between two graphics modes while playing: one focused on fidelity, and one focused on frame rate.

*This entry has been updated"

So it was a miscommunication from them.

Spider-Men gaems were suppsoed to have RT shadows/AO too on top o reflections but it didn't happen. It seems PS Blog makes a lot of errors or that stuff were cut in the mean time.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
I was really impressed with this games graphics on PC on my 2060 at 1080/60. Ill definitely pick it up for Series X and will also check out the improved DLSS on my PC.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I wonder if the second expansion is smooth 60 after the update, that ran horribly on my PC compared to the base game.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Improvements on controller latency only on Xbox? So that means Exodus has even worse latency on X than PS4? Wow, I dropped the game because it felt like shit to play (on PS4).
Latency will be better than without it. They are probably talking about taking advantage of DLI or whatever it's called.
I barely know anything about this specific subject, but that says software-based VRS has better performance and quality than the hardware-based implementation of it but I thought it was the other way around? At least with the Xbox Series'.
They are comparing it to Tier 1. VRS is divided by Tiers, think of it like version 1.0, 2.0, ... . Hardware based implementations will always be better than software based solutions.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018

Demons Souls is just straight up 1440p, ive said it like 50 times, 4K is a big meme once TAA was introduced, the resolution chase was only such a thing because MSAA being more or less removed in 7th gen.

aronmayo

Jul 29, 2020
This sounds absolutely incredible. Not sure why people are saying this is not going as far as Control on PC. Based on their notes it's going beyond Control, as it will have more advanced ray-traced lighting, global illumination AND is also getting reflections on PC now too.

Infinite bounces for lighting sounds like a step up, but I'm not sure how many bounces current versions of Control and Metro do. Control's ray-traced ambient lighting leaves a lot to be desired on PC - it's very noisy compared to Metro's implementation.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
BTW I hope they fix the HDR on PlayStation platforms. I have my TV set up properly but HDR in Exodus on my PS4 Pro crushed blacks levels so badly parts of the game were unplayable with it on. Would also love it if they adjusted how they handle stick input. Way stiffer and slower than most other FPS, moreso than the slower pace of the game would merit

aronmayo

Jul 29, 2020
What about game saves? I don't want to replay the campaign all over again, but I want to experience the DLCs

You don't need to complete the campaign to be able to play the DLC. You just choose it from the menu. And it's fairly detached from the main story, so you don't even need to play the campaign first, really.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
You don't need to complete the campaign to be able to play the DLC. You just choose it from the menu. And it's fairly detached from the main story, so you don't even need to play the campaign first, really.

The second DLC - Sam's Story - start right after the main game's ending, so someone who didn't played the main game but starts with this DLC, he's going to be spoiled by one of the two potential endings (and their small variations).. and the first DLC - The Two Colonels - has definitely bigger emotional impact if the player played the main game to the end

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I can't wait. I played a bit of it on PC and it looked great....bought it on Xbox One and only played a little bit of it. Glad they are doing a full update for the Series S/X and PS5.

SPEA

Oct 29, 2017
Totally going to hold off playing this now on my Series X. Can't wait! Hope it gets released relatively soon.