• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Feels like the epic-hate gang are indeed a vocal minority that have no noticeable impact outside of reddit and gaming forums.
Sure, that could be said if you look at the "2.5x" and just take that at completely face value.

But... 2.5x what? Are retail sales included, which were originally Steam copies changed to EGS at the last minute? Are Steam pre-sales included?

And what version of Metro? Last Light or Last Light Redux?

Hell, that slide is so vague that you could even infer that they're talking about sales of Exodus across all platforms compared to just the sale of Last Light* (*again, who knows which version of LL) on Steam.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tbh even actual number wouldn't help that much, all it could show is that it didn't prevent it from having any growth but it does not say anything about how much growth it would have had on Steam.

LMAO. I actually agree.

I 100% believe that actual numbers wouldn't help. Literally nothing they could do, say or show would ever make you believe that this game did fine without Steam. The goalposts would always just move to something else because a lot of people in this thread already had this fantasy in their head that this game would bomb and devs/publishers would come crawling back to steam begging your forgiveness.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LMAO. I actually agree.

I 100% believe that actual numbers wouldn't help. Literally nothing they could do, say or show would ever make you believe that this game did fine without Steam. The goalposts would always just move to something else because a lot of people in this thread already had this fantasy in their head that this game would bomb and devs/publishers would come crawling back to steam begging your forgiveness.

The thing is that the "numbers" they did give is to compare it to Steam. They are the ones comparing the sales between both storefronts, not us. If they said "Game sold 100k on the first week" (or whatever) we wouldn't been having this conversation.

Ebullientprism

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 day): Antagonizing members.
The thing is that the "numbers" they did give is to compare it to Steam. They are the ones comparing the sales between both storefronts, not us. If they said "Game sold 100k on the first week" (or whatever) we wouldn't been having this conversation.

Nope. Then we would be having a different conversation. "It would have sold X times more on Steam" or "It only sold that much in the first week because of all the publicity it got" or maybe even "what price did each copy sell for cause most of that could have been Russian cheap copies" or something else equally asinine. The goalposts would just shift.

Like I said, literally NOTHING they can say that would make people accept the fact that most people dont care where they buy their game from.

People wanted this to fail. So desperately that you can practically taste it in this thread. The bile is unreal. For a site that is supposed to celebrate their love for gaming, this thread is shameful.

Thank fuck you miserable sods are in the minority.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope. Then we would be having a different conversation. "It would have sold X times more on Steam" or "It only sold that much in the first week because of all the publicity it got" or maybe even "what price did each copy sell for cause most of that could have been Russian cheap copies" or something else equally asinine. The goalposts would just shift.

Like I said, literally NOTHING they can say that would make people accept the fact that most people dont care where they buy their game from.

People wanted this to fail. So desperately that you can practically taste it in this thread. The bile is unreal.

But we don't know what would have happened for sure, because we only got this PR stunt masked as sales data. With exact sales, we could have drawed the paralels between past entries and this one way more easily and the discussion would have been over pages ago. With this we can only keep banging our heads on the wall, because this data is useless.

This is useless even for your "most people don't care where they buy their games" statement, because is incomplete and biased.

Ok so? Again, who's to say that numbers won't be released later? My original point is when it was announced that MSM outsold all the previous SM games, no numbers were given at the time and no one questioned the statement or downplayed it.

The point is that: No one fucking cared about the game selling more than all other SM games combined, because we had real actual data to go with it.

Not sure what more I can say, you are the one who said that actual data was released 4 months later and I just proved that is not the case.

Deleted member 36086

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017

People wanted this to fail. So desperately that you can practically taste it in this thread. The bile is unreal. For a site that is supposed to celebrate their love for gaming, this thread is shameful.

Wow, charming post.

The "2.5X than last game" is vague as all hell.

And btw, you're right that most people don't care where they buy their game from.

The real test for Epic is as the years go on.

-Miserable Sod, thanked to fuck and back.

Oticon

Oct 30, 2017
Does this include the Steam/Humble sales or just EGS sales? That's actually an important detail.

Ebullientprism

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, charming post.

The "2.5X than last game" is vague as all hell.

And btw, you're right that most people don't care where they buy their game from.

The real test for Epic is as the years go on.

-Miserable Sod, thanked to fuck and back.

Oh yeah, I forgot this one. This would be right up there too. "Yeah this one sold ok but the real test is how well it will do in the future.".

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
Ok so? Again, who's to say that numbers won't be released later? My original point is when it was announced that MSM outsold all the previous SM games, no numbers were given at the time and no one questioned the statement or downplayed it.
Because this statement is being made to show the success of the store not the game itself? The stat is not '2.5x MLL' its '2.5x MLL ON STEAM'

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Oh yeah, I forgot this one. This would be right up there too. "Yeah this one sold ok but the real test is how well it will do in the future.".

Its always about the future. Epic Games has a shitton of money. They can pay devs for any loss of sales for years.

Bottom, line, you don't know the hard numbers, you're taking the best case scenario numbers and plugging them in. I don't know what the numbers are but its vague on purpose and of course you won't acknowledge that at all. EGS has shown their great practices so far, lets trust that these numbers mean the game sold well.

-Still miserable sod

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
I'm happy for the devs. But I feel like Exodus had way more marketing than the previous games.

Those "good luck" posts were stupid in the first place.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Thank fuck you don't know we're in the minority because you don't have any numbers to back that up.

You're literally suggesting we'll move goalposts based on a hypothetical situation in which Epic actually releases numbers.

They haven't released numbers, which leads us to believe the numbers are shit. If the numbers weren't shit, they wouldn't have to keep moneyhatting all these games.

Asator

Oct 27, 2017
- "Y sold 2.5x more times than X"

- "But how much Y exactly sold?"

- "Goalposting! what do you want more?"

- "Exactly know what's X and how much Y sold, so I can have the data to contextualize how well did the game"

- "It was a success it sold 2.5x more than X"

- "BUT WHAT'S X!!?

- "Stop goalposting X is X!! Damn these Steam apologists, lolol they can't accept Y was a success!"

Quoting for visibility because it's the absolute truth.

Sales seems to have been higher than I expected/hoped (which is a shame because I hate the message it sends to other publishers and what it means for the future of PC as a platform), but that 2.5x figures means absolutely nothing without context.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017

Please don't insult people
You can make your points without beeing petty

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
I have zero interest in the Epic Store, and I don't plan to use its client in the foreseeable future.

With Steam and the itch.io clients, I have enough launchers on my PC.

I can even say that in the light of recent events, I'm against Epic as personal point of view regarding the money that I spend in video games.

But I'm happy to see that the developers that signed exclusivity deals are seeing stories of success, thanks to the visibility and awareness of a new platform. Plus the investment of Epic in marketing.

More possibilities of revenue for the developers are always good news for the industry.

And hopefully with this competition, Valve will become more pro-active with investing in the marketing of third party selected selected titles, and in channels external to Steam.

Like Epic did, paying to be featured in the Game Awards.

Generating a lot of publicity and visibility for the third party partners featured in the presentation.

Like Nintendo does with initiatives like the Nintendo Directs and paying ads each month to feature selected eShop releases in the main webs.

Or like Microsoft or Sony are using events like the E3, or funding TV ads for releases of third party partners.

Storefronts are getting a cut of the benefice. In addition to create development tools for their platforms, an investing in marketing should be the minimum exigible.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Btw, I could have said "Fallout 3 sold 2.5x as fallout 2" while there was a demonstration for the first year of the GFWL service. This is of course ignoring factors such as a growing market, better marketing, changing the game to be more accessible/more popular genre......

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
This number means nothing on its own.

Exodus was still available to pre-order on Steam for a period of time before disappearing to the EGS, causing people like myself to miss it. Why not compare at least those numbers rather than Exodus' with the original Last Lights? Exodus sold better than Last Light period too, so I'd assume that'd reflect in all areas. It's a shame we can't get more concrete numbers to actually make something of this.

The cynic in me says it's just been spun like this deliberately, as the numbers may not be too glowing.

But the optimist in me says the numbers aren't being released because Deep Silver still wants to launch Exodus on Steam eventually and doesn't want to burn bridges by taunting Valve with higher sales.

Could go either way. Who knows.

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
- "Y sold 2.5x more times than X"

- "But how much Y exactly sold?"

- "Goalposting! what do you want more?"

- "Exactly know what's X and how much Y sold, so I can have the data to contextualize how well did the game"

- "It was a success it sold 2.5x more than X"

- "BUT WHAT'S X!!?

- "Stop goalposting X is X!! Damn these Steam apologists, lolol they can't accept Y was a success!"

It's rare that a post does such a good job at summing up a thread. Hats off.

Gamesadict

Oct 25, 2017
If we go by steam spy (Unreliable I Know). Metro last light did 20K on Steam. So 2.5X of that on Epic is 50K sales for Metro Exodus. That seems like the closest we're gonna get on numbers, since I doubt this data is referring to Metro Last Light Redux, which has done like 2 million on the platform looking at the achievement leak from awhile back.
20k on Steam over first month? Any more details you could share?

I tried to find older details using Wayback Machine for when Steamspy still had full access to profiles (and publicly provided full numbers) and all I could find was the original game having 1.5mil owners over 3.5 years not counting Redux, and Redux allegedly with almost 200k owners in it's first year.

It's kind of a mess working with this, and even then we don't know how accurate it is. But the overall perception to me seemed that LL sold very slowly, eventually making it past the million and a half in both Redux and original through legs and sales.

This is why this 2.5x thing is useless, reminds me of Nvidia charts lol.

EDIT
Found some more "specific-ish" sales data from Last Light on PC, although it's from the old forum from 2015:

So ~1.3 million after 2 years. I dunno what percentage of a PC games sales usually occur within the first month (especially with people waiting for sales later on), but spread out evenly over the 23 months, that's roughly 56.5k sales per months on average for LL. If you assume it was 100k for the first month, translating that to Epic's estimate of 2.5x more sales for Exodus still puts it in the same ballpark as what Steam managed from just pre-orders (~250k), according to Steamspy.

Without the sales data already being narrowed down more, or being given real numbers from Epic, can't do too much beyond speculation though.
Missed this post, whoops.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018
b43d0d55-6a59-48d9-be65-d18a22bf0437.gif

Oct 31, 2017
Aside for the the petty bickering, an actual number would do wonders to guess the extent of this "success story" (which is why we probably won't get one).

I've read that almost 200K copies were sold as preorders on Steam when they announced they were going to remove the game, and that was already FAR ahead of how Last Light performed years before as pre-launch sales.
More than 2.5X comparatively, in fact.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
The question is, how much more did the console version sell in the same time.
(to really compare it to the growth of the franchise despite the PC exclusive war)

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Whoohoo. Remember reading that on last light these guys were working in some pretty horrible conditions so glad to see them get a big win like this. Good game too.

Nov 8, 2017
Aside for the the petty bickering, an actual number would do wonders to guess the extent of this "success story" (which is why we probably won't get one).

I've read that almost 200K copies were sold as preorders on Steam when they announced they were going to remove the game, and that was already FAR ahead of how Last Light performed years before as pre-launch sales.
More than 2.5X comparatively, in fact.

Between this and Ubisofts "going to the EGS store instead of Steam resulted in a 10x increase in the number of uPlay store preorders!" faint praise I think it's clear they don't have numbers that are worth bragging about. Dead silence on all the indies, of course, since those are the games that are the least likely to have average consumers go out of their way to find another storefront to buy it on.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile, in order to fix all the issues the PC version has, you need to go to the Steam community hub page for the game.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018

Yikes, thats an irrational hot take. "People dont loke EGS, therefore I decide Steam bad and lash out at random people making rational arguments."

Assenzio

Alt account
Banned
Mar 18, 2019
Since when people ask for t
On console we know it sold 50% more than the previous chapter ( not counting digital) and it is a great result for a game of this budget.

Selling on launch 150% more we can easily say is a great result as well.

We rarely have numbers and always estimates. For some reason you refuse to accept a good result here.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since when people ask for t

On console we know it sold 50% more than the previous chapter ( not counting digital) and it is a great result for a game of this budget.

Selling on launch 150% more we can easily say is a great result as well.

We rarely have numbers and always estimates. For some reason you refuse to accept a good result here.

But digital accounts for way more sales on consoles that 6 years before. Steam is much bigger that it was 6 years before. With 7 million concurrent users and now is 18.5million.

I can't accept anything because there nothing more than thin air, because this is nothing but just empty, vacuous PR.

This number tells me nothing without a proper context of factual numbers data.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone from Epic actually give some information on what this "2.5X" number includes? Does it include Steam preorders there? Does it include preorders made on the day they announced EGS exclusivity but didn't take the preorder option offline yet?

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone from Epic actually give some information on what this "2.5X" number includes? Does it include Steam preorders there? Does it include preorders made on the day they announced EGS exclusivity but didn't take the preorder option offline yet?
Make note of the fact that they're not comparing Metro Exodus sales on EGS to Metro Exodus sales on Steam, but Metro Exodus sales on EGS to Metro Last Light sales on Steam.

Oct 27, 2017
They won't. If sales were good enough, they would have boasted that number to hell and back (like they did with that game they gave away, and Fortnite). They're being deliberately vague.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Make note of the fact that they're not comparing Metro Exodus sales on EGS to Metro Exodus sales on Steam, but Metro Exodus sales on EGS to Metro Last Light sales on Steam.
Well, that would be an even weirder comparison considering that there are no Metro Exodus sales on Steam, only some number of preorders.

They won't. If sales were good enough, they would have boasted that number to hell and back (like they did with that game they gave away, and Fortnite). They're being deliberately vague.
I feel like they aren't being deliberately vague but just straight up lying here by including Steam preorders number in this 2.5X boost of sales.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoy reading the rationalizing I see going on here. Can't just be good, gotta be something misleading/secretive.

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoy reading the rationalizing I see going on here. Can't just be good, gotta be something misleading/secretive.
Companies love to boast numbers. It is natural to expect that a company would like to say that their new product is a success. They can't say sales are 2.5X as good as the last game without mentioning the value of X.