• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
You will never get that info because it would mean giving out Steam and Valve information which they can't

You all know that but you'd rather call that shady infirmation

How is it Steam/Valve information ?
I'll tell you what: Numbers can be revealed if the publisher wish. Heck, how do you think they could get that "2.5x more" figure from a selected period ? :)
Valve has no saying in which a developper publish their own numbers.

Please ask yourself why preorders wouldn't be included. Preorders are sales.

Because it's launch aligned. So I wonder as Exodus was on preorder two weeks before release on EGS, does it mean 2 weeks of preorder for Last Light too, since it's aligned ? Does it account for sales on the store or keys redeemed too from physical copies ?

Yokijirou

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. (And Steam preorders not from Humble or Razor store were canceled).
Physical copies also, and cd key resellers that get keys from store. Altought they aren't clear if those are included or not. (Seems like Steam key sales are not)

If that's that case I believe the "sold 2.5X more than Steam" is misleading. Not the number itself but the fact they're throwing numbers out to the public who won't actually think about how many other avenues were available to purchase the previous game from.

It's like if McDonalds said proudly that it sold 1 billion more Big Macs than Burger King.

That's neat and all but a bit misleading.

Ikuu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because it would give Steam's numbers by proxy and because they are trade secrets

What, if they had given sales numbers for their own store you wouldn't know how it did in comparison to Steam. They said 2.5x because it probably did something like 60-70k and that doesn't sound anywhere near as good.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't say that. There's no way to know but it wouldn't surprise me. Also physical copies exist so the statement in OP means very little.

Let us hope EGS isn't successful though if we don't want to get fucked in the future. It's weird that people actually want the EGS to be succesful as it will result in a worse experience for consumers in the short and long run.

You want them to be successful enough to not pull the exclusivity shenanigans. I agree with the experience for consumers, EGS should not be rewarded for releasing a bare-bone store site with exclusivity attached.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
If we have the first few weeks sales of Last Light on Steam, and the concurrent peak number of players for Exodus on Steam... we can get an estimate of how it did on Steam vs EGS.

Since they don't give any actual numbers, I tried to see what Google had.

...and across all formats worldwide Last Light has sold more units in its first week than Metro 2033 managed in three months.
https://www.destructoid.com/metro-ll-first-week-sales-surpass-2033-lifetime-sales-254953.phtml

It's no secret that THQ's Metro 2033 "wasn't properly nurtured," but the game's cult status has translated into over 1.5 million sales since its launch in March 2010 across Xbox 360 and PC.
https://www.engadget.com/2012/06/05/metro-2033-sales-reach-1-5-million/

The second quote means 1.5 million 2033 sales on PC/360 after 26-27 months. And LL, across more platforms, sold as much in one week as 2033 in three months. And it's hard to speculate from there. I feel like the EGS number is not over 500k though, or roughly around where Steam is from pre-orders alone, according to Steamspy.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
All that number tells me is that a new entry on one store in a franchise sold 2.5x as its previous entry on another store which was 6 years ago.
Pretty much.

Steam DmC Devil May Cry ( 2013 ) peak player : 5,731, peak player Devil May Cry 5 : 88,735.

If DMC 5 was EGS exclusive and sold 2.5x time more than DMC, it would be presented as a victory too.

But "blahblahblah moving goal post" :ignore factual number:

Last edited:

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The goalpost moving is hilarious. First it was "good luck" and the game would bomb without Steam. Then people tried to pretend Steam sales were part of this announcement. Next it's "the last game was 6 years ago". Then "highly promoted sequel, blah, blah, blah".

Whatever it takes, right? People can't just accept that maybe they aren't as dialed in as they thought and that maybe the rest of the world doesn't care about your attachment to a game launcher.

And why do I keep see the same 5 or so people in every thread pulling this shit? I can't wait until the next EGS success thread, I'm sure same people will be in there trying to tell the rest of us why it's not really a success...lol.

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
If we go by steam spy (Unreliable I Know). Metro last light did 20K on Steam. So 2.5X of that on Epic is 50K sales for Metro Exodus. That seems like the closest we're gonna get on numbers, since I doubt this data is referring to Metro Last Light Redux, which has done like 2 million on the platform looking at the achievement leak from awhile back.

It also puts Exodus at 200k-500k owners on steam which would seem to be higher than whatever it sold on EGS. But who knows how accurate the numbers are

Never realized last light did so poorly before redux showed up

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
The goalpost moving is hilarious. First it was "good luck" and the game would bomb without Steam. Then people tried to pretend Steam sales were part of this announcement. Next it's "the last game was 6 years ago". Then "highly promoted sequel, blah, blah, blah".

Whatever it takes, right? People can't just accept that maybe they aren't as dialed in as they thought and that maybe the rest of the world doesn't care about your attachment to a game launcher.

And why do I keep see the same 5 or so people in every thread pulling this shit? I can't wait until the next EGS success thread, I'm sure same people will be in there trying to tell the rest of us why it's not really a success...lol.

Whatever it takes ? Pretty simple: Transparent numbers, not some cryptic wording without any specific period. :)

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017

Next: "Playing games during release week wasn't that cool 6 years ago"

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Salt or not he ain't wrong.

The game was also supposed to have received a whole lot of backlash that should have dampened sales. Certainly on this forum quite a number of folks outright confirmed they were boycotting it..
Unless - of course - you're insinuating that the backlash is largely confined to a vocal minority.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
If we go by steam spy (Unreliable I Know). Metro last light did 20K on Steam. So 2.5X of that on Epic is 50K sales for Metro Exodus. That seems like the closest we're gonna get on numbers, since I doubt this data is referring to Metro Last Light Redux, which has done like 2 million on the platform looking at the achievement leak from awhile back.

There is certainly no way Metro Exodus is selling close to 5 million copies on PC so...

KorrZ

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
It's a fantastic game and deserves every bit of success.

Straight up though I would have passed on this game if it wasn't for the ability to preorder on Steam and still get access.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This number contains retail activations where people bought steam keys and got epic keys instead, doesn't it.

Also, Exodus had vastly bigger hype than LL. The number seems pretty low, if anything.

The game is brilliant and I am glad I got steam copy in time.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Epic can't publish Deep Silver numbers. Deep Silver are the one to disclose THEIR numbers.
You understand that direct sales comparisons between two stores giving out numbers for both of them by proxy is a no no in the industry right?
Even past games PR gave sales across all systems and is the standard in the industry unless it's an exclusive and will remain so.

Just look at any Switch success story with only pies and pourcentages and launch aligned comparisons. This is how it works. If you want more numbers start with Valve instead of barging on calling the numbers and the PR disingenuous

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
You understand that direct sales comparisons between two stores giving out numbers for both of them by proxy is a no no in the industry right?
Even pat games OR gave sales across all systems and is the standard in the industry unless it's an exclusive and will remain so.

Just look at any Switch success story with only pies and pourcentages and launch aligned comparisons. This is how it works. If you want more numbers start with Valve instead of barging on calling the numbers and the PR disingenuous

How is that a no-no ?
A lot of indie devs actually shared split between stores such as GoG or Steam or even console ones.
The reason it doesn't happen with Switch success stories is that console manufacturers dont allow it. Valve does though.

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
So in regards to what is actually wrong with the actual data given it is quite simple, we have not been given actual sales numbers but rather a more carefully worded data point that is contorting the image. That is to say that Metro Exodus is probably an EGS success story but not as much as hoped. To wit, you will notice that we have been given actual download numbers for the free games.

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
*sigh* Welp I'll just wait for the games to come to steam at a steep discount. Waiting will only be beneficial anyway.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I see the handful of posters that protest EGS in every thread are in here again, moving goalposts.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
The thing people aren't really accounting for is that even if we're talking about 50-60k sales on the EGS, there were over 10k concurrent players on Steam on launch day. Which means it's likely there's at least as many sales in just the preorder period on Steam. It's bonkers to think that EGS didn't dampen overall sales.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Part of being an ethusiast is you're in a bubble, Im seeing most people really not caring what launcher they buy their games in. If Epic continues this moneyhatting, I can see shift in Epics favor little by little. Kinda like what they did with PUBG

D.Dragoon

Mar 2, 2018
The game was also supposed to have received a whole lot of backlash that should have dampened sales. Certainly on this forum quite a number of folks outright confirmed they were boycotting it..
Unless - of course - you're insinuating that the backlash is largely confined to a vocal minority.
I literally don't know, I just wish the number was less vague because this 2.5x ain't telling me much.

HaNotsri

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not saying much. Thought this game could be huge. My impression is that the previous ones had long legs.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
How is that a no-no ?
A lot of indie devs actually shared split between stores such as GoG or Steam or even console ones.
The reason it doesn't happen with Switch success stories is that console manufacturers dont allow it. Valve does though.
They shared splits

They never shared numbers and they're usually by systems (Switch/PC/Ps4 etc)

Go into the NPD thread and by all means call out Matt for his shaddy and disingenuous numbers and worded PRs

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
They shared splits

They never shared numbers and they're usually by systems (Switch/PC/Ps4 etc)

Go into the nod thread and by all means call out Matt for his shaddy and disingenuous numbers and worded PRs

They also shared numbers sometimes. It all depends if there's a console release or not.

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
Even past games PR gave sales across all systems and is the standard in the industry unless it's an exclusive and will remain so.

There are devs that disclose how many games they sold on PC/Switch/XboxOne/PS4/etc. :lol

edit: e.g YCG: https://yachtclubgames.com/2018/04/two-million-copies-of-shovel-knight-sold/

"Shovel Knight hit 2 million sales! That's unreal! What does that look like per platform? Let's take a closer look:

2mil_sales_pie-1.png
"

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina

lmao, you dont even have a proper argument for such a vague number being thrown at a slide. You yhourself have no idea yet you defend egs like a blind sheep cause what? oh thats right, competition.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
There are devs that disclose how many games they sold on PC/Switch/XboxOne/PS4/etc. :lol
Sure, link us to actual numbered splits. (As in, exact sales numbers for each and every store).

The only country we have that information for is Japan for the console market thabks to Famtsu/MC/Dengeki

Oct 27, 2017
2.5x the sales could be almost any number, this is a marketing tactic more than anything else.

It's not just Epic that does this, MS, Sony and Nintendo have done the same thing. I want to see actual sales data before I make any judgeements on the viability of games on the EGS store.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
boy I am shocked that there was so much marketing department-designed nuance in this slide and so many people just taking it at face value.

How many copies of Last Light were sold, lifetime? Without that, we have no starting point of reference.

How many copies of Exodus were sold or keys otherwise activated on Steam? We have no insights.

Does this include pre-orders that had their keys switched to EGS? We aren't told.

These things are supposed to matter, folks. Not "hur dur goal posts" and "hur dur good luck".

So many disingenuous posters in here. Quite telling who the cheerleaders are.

Gloomz

Oct 27, 2017
User banned (3 days): trolling over a series of posts, history of similar behaviour
E A T C R O W.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
So? You think the majority of those sales are from Steam preorders? Give me a break! Some people just can't accept that EGS is successful.
Yeah I sure as hell bought it on Steam and it became the top seller on Steam instantly when it was announced it would be exclusive to a shittier platform for a year. I was originally gonna wait for reviews but that drove me to go and preorder it.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
More than anything, I'm bothered by the amount of people rolling with "lol 2.5x" when you've seemingly been given concrete numbers for every other game but this one.

Like, LL could have sold 2 copies on Steam and Exodus 5 copies on EGS and the people would be cheering. It's the logic of it.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean they need something to do since they have nothing to play while all of their games are moving off of Steam for a year lmao
Nice, this dude has been shit posting the entire thread. Most of these people don't use pc as a platform.