• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
unknown.png

announced on their GDC stream

So its sales on Steam were 2.5x more than Last Light's on Steam?

Poorly worded.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Considering how much historically Steam makes up the total overall sales for almost every pc game this is bad news for Valve.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Love the snarky Era "good luck" posts when this got announced for EGS, good for 4A.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Generally, sequels to long-tail successes like Metro always have larger up-front sales.

That's very little actual information. Are Steam pre-orders included in these numbers? Which timespan or regions are we talking about?

Ionic

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Did anybody watching say if they went into details for where the sales came from? Are they including the physical release in there? Or bizarrely including the Steam pre-order numbers too? The slide is a bit ambiguous.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Does this include both Steam pre-orders and EGS purchases for Exodus PC sales? Is it comparing to Last Last, Last Light redux, or both combined? This is (near) uselessly vague.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Idk, the ones moving the goalpost are more likely to be those who went from "it won't sell if it's an EGS exclusive" to "okay but i'm pretty sure that it's only because it was on steam despite that i have no data to prove that".
I mean, it's not like Epic is giving us much data here too.
2.5x over sales during which period? What are the raw numbers?

Kaelan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Just shows how out of touch resetera is. Most people don't give a damn about some launchers. lol, so much for the "boycott"

Nov 2, 2017
So? You think the majority of those sales are from Steam preorders? Give me a break! Some people just can't accept that EGS is successful.
I didn't say that. There's no way to know but it wouldn't surprise me. Also physical copies exist so the statement in OP means very little.

Let us hope EGS isn't successful though if we don't want to get fucked in the future. It's weird that people actually want the EGS to be succesful as it will result in a worse experience for consumers in the short and long run.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's not like Epic is giving us much data here too.
2.5x over sales during which period? What are the raw numbers?

Over the launch. That's it. They aren't providing less infos than an usual PR news. People are going in circles trying to frame this as misleading because they want to see the EGS store fail.

yuraya

Oct 25, 2017
lol

Metro Last light concurrent peak on steam = 16k

Metro Exodus concurrent peak (only preorders) = 12k.

This is such a bullshit slide

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Lmao.ppl.saying.its.good. last light peaked at 16k. Thats low.shit. it was.obviously.going.to.do.better.from.the hype and shit and because.its a better game.

Deleted member 35446

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
lol

Yeah, actually, these numbers are probably indicative of how much more interest is in the series now than ever before more than anything.

BUT, I think we're still fucked. lol Even if the series sales were going to be significantly higher, anyways, this indicates that sales/revenue weren't necessarily hurt by its exclusion from Steam. Especially if Epic paid a handsome amount.

Most we can do now is hope Epic gets games like Bloodborne and Spider-man PS4 onto the platform to get something out of this.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Absolutely. The few hours between the EGS exclusive announcement and when it got removed from Steam, the game rocketed up on Steams best seller list and took the first spot until it got removed.

That's when I bought it, and that's another docked point for fuckhead Epic. I don't want to support them, and I wish I waited for reviews on the game, it blows.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
lol

This is actually relevant, especially considering that the Metro franchise has undoubtedly grown since the original release of Last Light through the Redux re-releases.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't believe them

or at least not in an apples-to-apples way, I think they're doing fuzzy math

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
It means nothing at all. Last Light was a sequel to a new IP based on a book that not so many players purchased. It did well enough, turning out to be better than the first game and a technical showcase, of course it sold better than the first one and the third game sold better than the second, expecially with a massive marketing campaign the second one was missing.

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
People don't realise that for one pissed Steam user there will be 1, 2 or even 3 Fortnite players who are seeing this game for the first time and want to buy it.
Of course they don't realise it, this is Era. If the real world looked anything like Era, Fortnite would be a failure and kids would be running around wearing Gravity Rush 2 t-shirts.

The Epic Game Store is doing well, I'm happy for the devs benefiting from that.

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
Reading this thread reminds me of the dark corners youtube trying to convince us Captain Marvel isnt actually making a bank .

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
Of course they don't realise it, this is Era. If the real world looked anything like Era, Fortnite would be a failure and kids would be running around wearing Gravity Rush 2 t-shirts.

lmao

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So one month sales for both? Did it get confirmed?

Epic also revealed that Deep Silver's Metro: Exodus sold more than 2.5 times as many copies in its first few weeks on the Epic Games store in comparison to the previous franchise release ( Metro: Last Light ) on Steam over the same period of time

https://www.apnews.com/Business Wire/b8e9b5975d434193b7932caa09d07924

and while we're talking about successful games on the EGS:

Following the successful launch of Tom Clancy's The Division 2 on the Epic Games store, Ubisoft and the Epic Games store announced an extension to their agreement that will bring several major PC releases to the store in partnership with their Uplay division. Details will be revealed in the future by Ubisoft

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

Gravity rush 2 t shirts 🤣

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
Pretty misleading. Metro last night launched on steam 1 year 3 months later, so it will have worse launch than a day 1 launch.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
This is good news then. Seeing how hardly anyone had a problem with games being steam exclusive by default, or situations like Halo where it's Windows Store + Steam, and nothing else, it's good to see people willing to buy games elsewhere. Fortnite helps a lot, and when Fortnite and it's Battle Royale hit PC people said it would fail since it wasn't on Steam. People on PC not realizing how open their platform is, or trying to pigeonhole its gaming capability down to one app is disappointing.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
What about GOG numbers?

What about all the Steam keys sold from key sellers?

How about actual numbers, instead of an out-of context stat?

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman

Koz

Sep 5, 2018
Just seems odd they would use definitive numbers for the Subnautica and Slime Rancher downloads but then some fuzzy "2.5x" stat right after. Why not just tell us the numbers?

Deleted member 41931

Apr 10, 2018
The fact they're just using this vague number and not something actually tied to Epic Store is pretty telling. Glad the game is doing well though.

Jiffy Smooth

Dec 12, 2018
Just seems odd they would use definitive numbers for the Subnautica and Slime Rancher downloads but then some fuzzy "2.5x" stat right after. Why not just tell us the numbers?
Wait, I'm not watching, but they gave solid numbers for the non-exclusive freebies, but fudged the numbers for the exclusive full-price game?

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I love how.egs.fanatics think steam.would not be able.to.do.those numbers. 12k.only in.pre orders. Steam.wpuld have.sold much better than just 2.5x laat lights numbers