• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think Metro Exodus's Metacritic Score will be?

• 93-100

Votes: 69 3.6%
  • 89-92

Votes: 423 22.2%
  • 85-88

Votes: 827 43.4%
  • 81-84

Votes: 454 23.8%
  • <80

Votes: 131 6.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
This whole thing is so overblown. Greg Kasavin, former editor in chief for gamespot and, I maintain, the greatest game reviewer of all time (now a writer and designer with Super Giant as an interesting aside) said it best: most games are pretty good. Truly bad games are rare. The second presented scale here is normalized against the population, which a consumer doesn't really want. You want to know if you're gonna buy a good game in an of itself.
Greg's always been good people. Exactly my thoughts.

Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone State
Borrowing from above, this is what I had it on for PC:
GTX980

Res: 2560x1440
Quality: High
Vsync: Full
Motion Blur: Low
DirectX 12
Hair Works Off
Advanced Physx: Off
Tessellation: Off
Texture FIltering: AF 16X
Shading Rate: 1.0x

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Valdega So first the level design is similar. But now it suddenly is the overall progression structure? Make up your mind.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
For those with a GTX 1080, you're not in a bad position. I'm uploading some raw footage you can download and check out. It will be using the following settings;

Res: 1080p
Quality: Ultra
Motion Blur: Normal
DirectX 12
Hair Works Off
Advanced Physx: On
Tessellation: On

I'll update then they're on the server.
DX11 runs better. 5-15% more FPS, better frametimes (German source): https://www.gamestar.de/artikel/met...,3340482,seite3.html#directx-11-vs-directx-12

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
RTX on and FPS is cut in half. I'm starting to see a pattern here.

Almost like Raytracing is an extremely expensive technique and even with dedicated hardware for it it's still extremely expensive.

It still makes Metro look way better with it on and Metro only uses it for a few effects. 10 years down the line when everything can be Raytraced stuff is gonna be mindblowing.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Almost like Raytracing is an extremely expensive technique and even with dedicated hardware for it it's still extremely expensive.

It still makes Metro look way better with it on and Metro only uses it for a few effects. 10 years down the line when everything can be Raytraced stuff is gonna be mindblowing.
I don't agree about looking better part. It's certain hit or miss. For example, in this scene, RTS off looks much better, more natural and more pleasing to the eye. And that FPS difference is just mind boggling.

cpPrdXd.jpg

fPDKfLe.jpg

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
I don't agree about looking better part. It's certain hit or miss. For example, in this scene, RTS off looks much better, more natural and more pleasing to the eye. And that FPS difference is just mind boggling.

cpPrdXd.jpg

fPDKfLe.jpg

yea that's one scene that makes no sense, as there shouldn't be that much occlusion from just the plants. it is however the only scene that i've noticed that looks worse with rtx on.

kittoo

Banned
Apr 20, 2018
This section from the Eurogamer review is great (Eurogamer review)

"Stealth is valuable, here, not just because it's more economical or less risky, but because it allows you to get close to these lives, pull the two sides of Metro Exodus together. While touring a treehouse settlement at night I encountered a sentry sitting at a small table, lost in thought. On the table there were books, dented crockery, faded pictures of children - a small, candlelit circle of belongings and memories. I spent a few moments looming over the man, the kill/stun HUD prompts framing the back of his head, thinking about Artyom's own bedside table back on the train, with its sunflower-pattern linoleum and typewriter, and about the miles of hungry emptiness all around us. It doesn't take much to suggest that a fictional construct might have an inner life, a value apart from its value as a pleasing hazard or an inconveniently mobile collection of resources. It's a bit of an indictment of games, or at least of blockbuster action games, that this feeling has become a novelty. We need more experiences like Metro Exodus that know how to resist empty bloodshed and kindle such closeness, finding the warmth in the wasteland."

This makes me super excited. I will buy this for sure. While I was always interested, I wouldve probably bought it just to support single player AAA games.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

cpPrdXd.jpg

fPDKfLe.jpg

By definition it cannot look "more natural". You can argue the artistic merits of the scene, but the lights are placed in such a way as to approximate what RTX is doing by default. RTX is expensive, and you might prefer the look of faked lighting more, but that does not make it more realistic. However RTX/Raytracing will definitely be used more in the future, as it can drastically cut the workload of studios and gives better results on average.

thirtypercent

Oct 18, 2018

Not according to Computerbase, they recommend DX12: https://www.computerbase.de/2019-02/metro-exodus-test-benchmarks/2/

They also say that raytracing is more sublte than in BFV but a signficant improvement in any scene with many lights, without it on the lighting often looks wrong and fake, especially when indoors with light shining through openings. Really hard to judge by a few screenshots and short videos I guess.

Have to disagree, OFF looks more bland and flat. But see above, in some scenes it'll matter more than others, impossible to say yet if I'll take the performance hit myself.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I was anticipating that this would be kind of the equivalent to the treatment Wolfenstein's sequel found in that reviewers in a sense gained a greater appreciation of the previous entry, after overlooking it initially, and accordingly 'embraced' the sequel with a higher overall range of scores.

Whatever the case, this franchise, especially Last Light, was criminally underappreciated and IMO drastically underscored from the beginning. Last Light is truly one of the finest FPS experiences I've had ever and I doubt there'll be anything too glaring to knock this from being a personal GOTY contender.

Barsi

alt account
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
I was anticipating that this would be kind of the equivalent to the treatment Wolfenstein's sequel found in that reviewers in a sense gained a greater appreciation of the previous entry, after overlooking it initially, and accordingly 'embraced' the sequel with a higher overall range of scores.

Whatever the case, this franchise, especially Last Light, was criminally underappreciated and IMO drastically underscored from the beginning. Last Light is truly one of the finest FPS experiences I've had ever and I doubt there'll be anything too glaring to knock this from being a personal GOTY contender.
We need to understand this gen reviewers are not complacent with games anymore. Scores are more accurate this gen.

But I was expecting a little bit more from this one. Maybe in 1 year when arrives at Steam with 66% off.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What does that matter and why would you want to know that? Just curious.
Thats an odd response. I just want to know what the game order is like, especially since we are seeing a lot of videos and i want to know if ending areas are being shown. Lots of people in here have finished it, so seems like a good place to ask.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
I voted for 81. What do I win? :P

I'll probably play this eventually. I still have yet to play the first two.

We need to understand this gen reviewers are not complacent with games anymore. Scores are more accurate this gen.

There's really no science to it. It's never accurate or inaccurate, or at least it's only accurate if the reviewer was being honest about their feelings. Also the number can and very well does mean different things to different reviewers.

They're just arbitrary numbers given to make readers feel like they have some grasp of the writer's opinion, when they didn't read the review itself. Goes on the back of the box better than text. Numbers appear to have scientfiic authority.

NuMiQ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
For those of us that don't speak Dutch, what were the serious flaws you mention?
I've read your review and you sound enthusiastic? What serious flaws are you referring to? Some minor pacing issues? Is that all? I was expecting some major technical bugs or something.

Requoting so you guys don't think I just upped and forgot about you ;)
Just as an upfront: I think an 8.1 is an excellent grade, the word next to the score is 'Geweldig', which roughly translates to excellent or awesome.
Which is an apt description of how I feel about the game.
However, there are still issues. As you asked me for them, I'll post some here, but don't mistake this for me being very down on the game. Again, I gave it an 81, which in my book is still an excellent score.
Most of my gripes are with the pacing and some of the gameplay elements. The crafting is too simplistic and because there are only 2 crafting elements, you are not encouraged (except on higher difficulties) to check out all the world has to offer.
General gunplay is somewhat decent, but not nearly where I would like to see it. I'm not expecting some instant point and shoot gibbage, but right now some of the guns feel a little off to me. I'm a big fan of the new crossbow however.
The general story I thought was excellent and I found the cast charming. Standing around for 20 minutes while they tell you stories is not my idea of fun however. At some point I would've rather just read it, so I can set my own pace and not have to wait for someone to finish talking. I literally just lit up a cigarette on the train sections and settled in with a drink until they were done. The content itself isnt bad as such, but it's the presentation that bugs me.
The vehicle sections (boats and car) feel kind of off and dont really add anything, except give you a way to get around quicker, while skipping exploration, which I think would be more interesting, especially with how full and vibrant the world is. It feels as though they had intended to do more with the car, but the map in which they wanted to do it got cut or smth. For instance, you bring the car with you on the train, and it's there in the end, but only for a small linear section.
The AI is rather shit on lower difficulties, and tbh it's still nothing to write home about on the higher ones. I did really enjoy the way they convey what they are doing and how aware they are of your presence through speech.
Overall, I did really enjoy my time with the game, but I can imagine someone who does not enjoy story as much, will come away with a very different impression. It very much feels like a Metro game, warts and all. I hope they make another one soon.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
I didn't see my review in a quick search, so: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019...ayer-game-to-usher-in-the-pc-ray-tracing-era/

Metro Exodus is a love letter to FPS freedom. Its staging and placement of missions and optional content delivers a perfect balance of finely crafted campaign content and "hey what's over there" teases of surprise, excitement, and challenge. The more linear and orchestrated missions see 4A operating at peak efficiency, all built to thrill via pitch-perfect timing and momentum. And the optional missions offer some of the most satisfyingly open design I've seen in a shooter in years, in terms of giving players what seems like up to a half-dozen legitimate tactical options for each.

It includes a lengthy breakdown of what to expect from the game's PC version, should you own an RTX-series card:

In short: I have uttered "wow" about the RTX-enabled graphics more times in this game than I have in reviewing anything else in a while. Metro Exodus spends its entire ray tracing budget on lighting effects, as opposed to the reflection effects seen in Battlefield V, and the result is a far more realistic and balanced lighting model, especially when the game's day/night cycle cranks into effect. Walking into dimly lit buildings, whose light comes as much from interior lanterns as it does a sun (or moon) across the entire sky results in an appreciably three-dimensional light model with attractive, deep blacks that don't demand an immediate cranking of your monitor's brightness level.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good scores.

A game I will get in time.

Interesting RTX findings. I guess it will be a 1080/30 experience with it on or a 1080/60 targeted experience with it off for me.

Anyone know if it pushes CPU or GPU more with RTX off?

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
I have the feeling playing this on hardcore will make it much more enjoyable

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND

cpPrdXd.jpg

fPDKfLe.jpg
I am just going to off-quote the developers and say every single outdoor scene of this game looks better as a result of Ray Tracing: it is more physically accurate by far than the other solution they have. That red glow there? Yeah, that is not supposed to be there - a common problem the game's standard GI has with making objects in shadow facing side overly glow.
I will cross post here, but notice how objects glow here? Yeah that is what you are seeing, a physical innacuracy -
Bonus guess round:
rtxoff8jkiv.png

rtxonk5krf.png

They look sooo similar - I only played with ultra just to prove a point when recording, but high looks basically the exact same in every scene while performing better. The technical reason is pretty neat actually and should be up in the interviews we post on friday!

Datrael

Oct 25, 2017
So for those reviewers that have played this game to completion I have two questions.

1. How much does it support itself in the stories told in the first two games? Can anybody grab this without having played them before?
2. How satisfactory is the ending? Does it tease a sequel or does it offer good closure.

APizzaPie

Oct 27, 2017
I have an 2080 TI and the first thing I'm going to do in the settings is turn off RTX and GameWorks effects. I have no interest in trading resolution and frame rate for more accurate lighting and better looking hair.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I didn't see my review in a quick search, so: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019...ayer-game-to-usher-in-the-pc-ray-tracing-era/

It includes a lengthy breakdown of what to expect from the game's PC version, should you own an RTX-series card:
cool review. thanks. seems my 2080Ti will be well served here, but I am worried about the performance I can expect on my 3440x1400 monitor. I can run the game at 1080p, but that's not what I bought the monitor for, you know?

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
Ok, raw footage time. Both are from the first level, so not too spoilery. RTSS shows fps and gpu usage in upper left corner.

Link #1

DirectX 12
Hair Works Off
Tessellation: On

Link #2

DirectX 11
Hair Works Off
Tessellation: Off

cool review. thanks. seems my 2080Ti will be well served here, but I am worried about the performance I can expect on my 3440x1400 monitor. I can run the game at 1080p, but that's not what I bought the monitor for, you know?

If I could run the game at ultra at 3440x1440 with a 1080 Ti, you should be fine with the 2080 Ti.

NuMiQ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
So for those reviewers that have played this game to completion I have two questions.

1. How much does it support itself in the stories told in the first two games? Can anybody grab this without having played them before?
2. How satisfactory is the ending? Does it tease a sequel or does it offer good closure.

I think you should be okay playing without the first two, but there are references to stuff that happened in those games.
Overall though it's a pretty contained story and you'll be able to follow just about everything that happens. There are also written bios available in Artyom's journal.

The ending is pretty nicely rounded, but leaves room for more. There is a slight tease we might see more, but nothing too major.

Datrael

Oct 25, 2017
I think you should be okay playing without the first two, but there are references to stuff that happened in those games.
Overall though it's a pretty contained story and you'll be able to follow just about everything that happens. There are also written bios available in Artyom's journal.

The ending is pretty nicely rounded, but leaves room for more. There is a slight tease we might see more, but nothing too major.
Thank you very much!