• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think Metro Exodus's Metacritic Score will be?

• 93-100

Votes: 69 3.6%
  • 89-92

Votes: 423 22.2%
  • 85-88

Votes: 827 43.4%
  • 81-84

Votes: 454 23.8%
  • <80

Votes: 131 6.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Lower scores than I had hoped.

But you know what? The review crowd were unfair to the the first two games as well so I am going to add 10 extra points to the score for that.

Yep.. I still think for example that LL is the best FPS game I have ever played, 2033 not far behind.. so these reviews don't really matter for me - and the reviews by people who I care about are really positive about the game, so even more reasons why I shouldn't care about the negative ones

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
About the reception I've expected. ACG seems to really like it, praises voice acting and that's one of the things I was worried about the most.

Kaffeemann

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Quick glance at the video, and I'm left with the same feeling I generally have when I've seen people talk about RTX, namely that it really doesn't seem to be worth it. The visual difference is absolutely minimal, and really doesn't seem like it'd amount to more than a subjective choice whether you prefer it on or off. Meanwhile the performance hit is astronomical, it's like a 50% fps hit.

It's really no wonder that the tech demos nvidia puts out or it are full of glossy reflective surfaces, which is one of the main areas where it really does something visually.
rtxoniejwn.png

rtxoffhnjsl.png

I wouldn't call this visual difference minimal. it can be worlds apart in terms of realism. Not every scene benefits as much, though.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Sounds like they struggled with the transition to going open world, so many devs have & it's hurt games that would have been better linear, makes me wonder if Gen 9 will continue with the open world meme for every damn game.
A compromise like Uncharted 4 is what more devs should go for imo, Naughty Dog got it right.

Deleted member 46922

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
That's not disappointing at all, it's lower than I would have hoped, but anything 80 or above still means it's a great game.
I mean some reviewers applauded the AI, and others said it was a problem.
Some reviewers applauded the story, and some said that was a problem.

The only real problem seems to be bugs, and those can be corrected. I'm glad I preordered this.

cgatto

Feb 9, 2018
Canada
Sounds like they struggled with the transition to going open world, so many devs have & it's hurt games that would have been better linear, makes me wonder if Gen 9 will continue with the open world meme for every damn game.
A compromise like Uncharted 4 is what more devs should go for imo, Naughty Dog got it right.
How? And it's not an open world game though

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany

well, they never wanted to make this open world and it is no open world game at all...

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But maybe it's all for the best that review scores are so weird, because I think it just encourages people not to pay attention to them and to actually read a review to see if the game works for them. With so many games at 8.0-8.5 or whatever, you really don't get a lot of information out of that numeric rating.

That's the thing though, I don't think they're weird. I think it means video games are at the point where the worst AAA game is probably going to be competent at worst. It'll probably have good graphics and decent gameplay, and if some random person picks it up they'll probably have an okay time with it. It's a game that is deserving of a 70 (or w/e it theoretically gets scored). A publisher like Ubisoft is most likely not going to put out a game that is bad. It might be mediocre, but it doesn't deserve a score of a 20 just because the average game is good now. It deserves the 70 that an average game like it would have always received.

For me it's kinda comparable to exams in classes. If the average student in a class is passing a test because they studied, that doesn't mean you should adjust the scale to where half of them now fail. It just means that the average student in that class has a good enough understanding of the material to pass. The best of those students will still score higher and differentiate themselves, same way that games like God of War differentiate themselves from some average action game that does a lot of things competently but doesn't stand out. The average video game is going to have enough time and money put into it that it'll do most things well enough to at least be average. Scores are for consumers, so I don't think adjusting the scale to where that 70 game is now graded as a 20 would benefit anyone, it would just make them think the game is worse than it is.

I'm getting pretty off topic though.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017

Just found this video: X/Pro/PC Comparison

Video is just ok, good enough to give you an idea of how x/ps4/pc look. PC version looks so much better, my X weeps.

NuMiQ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I've read your review and you sound enthusiastic? What serious flaws are you referring to? Some minor pacing issues? Is that all? I was expecting some major technical bugs or something.

I am enthousiastic about the game, however my biggest issues are with the pacing, gunplay and ai. I get off work in half an hour, half an hour drive home, and I'll get back to you. Also, just to note: to me an 81 is a pretty damn good grade. I'm one of those people that actually still gives 7's to games I enjoy and have never given a game a 10.

FerryF1

Feb 18, 2018
Dutch website PSX Sense gave it a 9. this was their conclusion:
''Metro: Exodus has become a post-apocalyptic masterpiece. So much is clear now that we have played through the entire game. The choice to go for a more above-ground open world is very good. The typical anxious feeling that you are nowhere safe is retained in the game, despite the fact that the size has increased considerably. The characters are interesting and add something to the whole, so you will build a bond with them and that is a strong point in the experience. Graphically, Metro: Exodus is a real gem and the audio design also deserves a big compliment. You notice everything that has been worked on this adventure with love. Metro: Exodus has become a masterpiece of a game. It offers a fantastic adventure that you should definitely have played''

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
like God of War, so a good thing

God of War is more like 3D metrovania, not wide linear.
Wide linear refers to something like The Witcher 2.

I am enthousiastic about the game, however my biggest issues are with the pacing, gunplay and ai. I get off work in half an hour, half an hour drive home, and I'll get back to you. Also, just to note: to me an 81 is a pretty damn good grade. I'm one of those people that actually still gives 7's to games I enjoy and have never given a game a 10.

Do you agree with VG247 that the game took away your control a little too often?
This is one thing I absolutely hate in modern AAA games. Why can't all games be like RE2 remake...just let us play the damn game and leave the story to cutscenes.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
It's a bit strange I posted 5 series of games and that's all you have to say about that. My point is that 7 came after 6 and scored 23(!) points higher. I've putted RE4 there to show how much scores can differ within a single franchise.

It stood out because the other games were listed in chronological order, whereas RE4 was placed last. It's like you were trying to convey RE's scores as constantly improving when in truth, they started high and then got worse, then got better. You also chose the lowest scoring version of 6, likely to make the score gap between sequels seem larger than it actually was. I'm also not sure why you left out RE5 but it was likely for the aforementioned reasons.

Basically, I specifically called out your RE examples because they seemed heavily skewed and a bit dishonest.

Both 2033 and LL are strict linear games, while Exodus has a really wide approach with very large open environments that play out above the surface for a good chunk, instead of 80% being underground. How on earth is the level design similar? O yeah the swamps in LL we're kinda open, but nowhere near Exodus open. They still played out lineair with only one path to go.

Exodus isn't an open-world game. It's still a linear game like LL, with some areas that are open (also like LL). These areas are larger and possibly more common in Exodus but the overall progression structure is the same as in LL.

Don't make the mistake many did by being extremely pessimistic towards Horizon Zero Dawn over the poor performance of Killzone Shadowfall.

Horizon was a completely different game than Killzone. Exodus is a sequel. A better analogy would be to compare Killzone Shadowfall to the other Killzone games.

GurrenSwagann

Sep 20, 2018
This whole thing is so overblown. Greg Kasavin, former editor in chief for gamespot and, I maintain, the greatest game reviewer of all time (now a writer and designer with Super Giant as an interesting aside) said it best: most games are pretty good. Truly bad games are rare. The second presented scale here is normalized against the population, which a consumer doesn't really want. You want to know if you're gonna buy a good game in an of itself.
I love watching Greg's old videos, I find them comfy to watch. His line about MGS2 being better than a movie is like an in-joke with me and my cousin lol.

Deleted member 4072

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Just found this video: X/Pro/PC Comparison

Video is just ok, good enough to give you an idea of how x/ps4/pc look. PC version looks so much better, my X weeps.

Because it's running at 60fps. If it was running at 30 you'd notice way less of a difference. 60fps makes everything look better in motion, it's why I never get the "prefer 30fps with more eyecandy" arguement.

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
no, it is "wide linear"

Mmmmh... non so linear.

I mean: it is clear that there is a sequence of main missions you have to complete in order to proceed (much like almost every "proper" open world game). And there is free roaming in the (quite large) maps, with hidden locations to be found.

In addition you have secondary missions enabled by talking to NPCs or completing quest.

Also, almost every mission have at least a pair of "routes" for completion.

I guess this is pretty much an open world game (which is NOT open-ended, that is).

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
This section from the Eurogamer review is great (Eurogamer review)

"Stealth is valuable, here, not just because it's more economical or less risky, but because it allows you to get close to these lives, pull the two sides of Metro Exodus together. While touring a treehouse settlement at night I encountered a sentry sitting at a small table, lost in thought. On the table there were books, dented crockery, faded pictures of children - a small, candlelit circle of belongings and memories. I spent a few moments looming over the man, the kill/stun HUD prompts framing the back of his head, thinking about Artyom's own bedside table back on the train, with its sunflower-pattern linoleum and typewriter, and about the miles of hungry emptiness all around us. It doesn't take much to suggest that a fictional construct might have an inner life, a value apart from its value as a pleasing hazard or an inconveniently mobile collection of resources. It's a bit of an indictment of games, or at least of blockbuster action games, that this feeling has become a novelty. We need more experiences like Metro Exodus that know how to resist empty bloodshed and kindle such closeness, finding the warmth in the wasteland."

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Fantastic scores all around, pumped to do a Metro Franchise play through once I'm done with the Kingdom Hearts games.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Mmmmh... non so linear.

I mean: it is clear that there is a sequence of main missions you have to complete in order to proceed (much like almost every "proper" open world game). And there is free roaming in the (quite large) maps, with hidden locations to be found.

In addition you have secondary missions enabled by talking to NPCs or completing quest.

Also, almost every mission have at least a pair of "routes" for completion.

I guess this is pretty much an open world game (which is NOT open-ended, that is).

there is a linear progression through the areas, you can look for stuff, the areas are bigger than before, but all in all the game is a linear game which allows you to go searching around its wide areas. hence it is "wide linear" and not "pretty much an open world game".

same was with Uncharted 4s Madagascar area for example, you were able to look around but it was still a linear level which you couldn´t go back to when you left the area.

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is an "Open Small Worlds" game.
no, it is "wide linear"
Whatever you want to call it... Crysis 1 is probably the best comparison. You play from level to level, and while you're in that level, you can't go to any other level. But the levels themselves are much more open and afford you a lot of freedom in how you approach things.

It's never been a secret that this is how the game will be. Anyone that thought it would be a true open world game wasn't paying attention.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Scores are okay, but not enough to really excite me.

I'll wait to hear how the RTX features are before deciding what to do here. I have a Steam pre-order, but it was expensive (full price). I will refund and just wait a year for the Steam re-release if it's a mediocre addition to the game. I have plenty to play between Apex and Anthem and I can't justify just giving money away on a game that I might not play much or at all.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
For those with a GTX 1080, you're not in a bad position. I'm uploading some raw footage you can download and check out. It will be using the following settings;

Res: 1080p
Quality: Ultra
Vsync: Full
Motion Blur: Normal
DirectX 12
Hair Works Off
Advanced Physx: On
Tessellation: On
Texture FIltering: AF 16X
Shading Rate: 1.0x

I'll update then they're on the server.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
For those with a GTX 1080, you're not in a bad position. I'm uploading some raw footage you can download and check out. It will be using the following settings;

Res: 1080p
Quality: Ultra
Vsync: Full
Motion Blur: Normal
DirectX 12
Hair Works Off
Advanced Physx: On
Tessellation: On
Texture FIltering: AF 16X
Shading Rate: 1.0x

I'll update then they're on the server.
What does shading rate do?

fossi8

One Winged Slayer
Apr 22, 2018
Do Metro games usually gets price cut one or two months after release? Not sure if grab this one on day one.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
The open ended levels are very well done, and the game strikes a great balance between open ended and linear levels.

Also, it's not "open world".

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
Well, I only played on Xbox One X, but it looks good. Yes, character models and textures are a bit disappointing, but from what I read the PC version is not that much better (if at all) in that regard. At least it was mentioned in a PC review, that those parts are not that great looking.

Aside from that: I loved the atmosphere and it can look visually stunning (One X).

Also: During my review the game froze several times, including one complete reboot of the console after the initial loading of a save game (which takes ages) was done. I contacted Deep Silver again today about it, they mentioned that 4A Games is working on a "pretty big patch, which is supposed to fix this issue". Not sure, if that patch will be available at Day 1 or later though.