• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think Metro Exodus's Metacritic Score will be?

• 93-100

Votes: 69 3.6%
  • 89-92

Votes: 423 22.2%
  • 85-88

Votes: 827 43.4%
  • 81-84

Votes: 454 23.8%
  • <80

Votes: 131 6.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, looks at the poll options. In an ideal world the 5 options would be
50-59
60-69
70-79
80-89
90+

Instead we get it spread across from 80 to 93, 80 being presumably bad and 93+ being a masterpiece. That's how much of a joke AAA game scoring is.

Now imagine Lara pulling her iconic dual pistols 2 minutes before the game ends lol.

I don't think it's a joke. I think it's more that AAA have so much money and time put into them that at worst they'll be mediocre or average. A publisher/developer usually won't keep pumping money into a game that is obviously not turning out to the extent that it would score below like a 70. Time and money ensures a baseline level of quality, but not that the game will be truly excellent or great.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
I am glad Jörg did the review. Probably my favorite writer in the business. Not always agree with him, but I guess he confirmed the fears I had with their new approach. Also after watching some of the gameplay videos.
Jörg is definitely a great writer, but don't agree too often with his scores.
Love his writingstyle and approach to game in general. 68% is low though,.

Hype-Lord

Jan 8, 2019
Moscow, Russia
Xbox One X here, game worked fine, except for a few framedrops and three times that it completely froze.

Also, this happened 3 times in various locations. What.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
So if I plan on getting it on PC all performance complaints are null? How is the PC performance in regards to crashes and lockups?

Wonder if this game would have gotten some more points if they were mostly PC reviews.
The PC has it fair share of crashes. As I mentioned, I experienced several during important parts of a mission and one during the damned ending scene.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lower scores than I had hoped.

But you know what? The review crowd were unfair to the the first two games as well so I am going to add 10 extra points to the score for that.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Still relevant...

kj3gFME.jpg

This whole thing is so overblown. Greg Kasavin, former editor in chief for gamespot and, I maintain, the greatest game reviewer of all time (now a writer and designer with Super Giant as an interesting aside) said it best: most games are pretty good. Truly bad games are rare. The second presented scale here is normalized against the population, which a consumer doesn't really want. You want to know if you're gonna buy a good game in an of itself.

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This whole thing is so overblown. Greg Kasavin, former editor in chief for gamespot and, I maintain, the greatest game reviewer of all time (now a writer and designer with Super Giant as an interesting aside) said it best: most games are pretty good. Truly bad games are rare. The second presented scale here is normalized against the population, which a consumer doesn't really want. You want to know if you're gonna buy a good game in an of itself.

Yup. By the time a game by a major publisher is going to come out, enough time and money has been put into it to ensure that at worst it's decent. Any game that was going to be worse than that would have been scrapped or revamped once the publisher/developer realized it. There are exceptions to this of course, but you can't suddenly adjust the review scale to account for most games being good, because then how do you grade the games that are truly bad? Go into negative scores?

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I mean, looks at the poll options. In an ideal world the 5 options would be
50-59
60-69
70-79
80-89
90+

Instead we get it spread across from 80 to 93, 80 being presumably bad and 93+ being a masterpiece. That's how much of a joke AAA game scoring is.
8+ means great by many review site/magazine standards, IGN, Gamespot, Pcgamer etc.
I don't think it's a joke. I think it's more that AAA have so much money and time put into them that at worst they'll be mediocre or average. A publisher/developer usually won't keep pumping money into a game that is obviously not turning out to the extent that it would score below like a 70. Time and money ensures a baseline level of quality, but not that the game will be truly excellent or great.
Also with outlets that have many reviewers in their staff, the review is usually done by someone who gravitates towards the game to begin with. And the sites don't often review absolutely atrocious games like Life of the Black Tiger or Quiet Man. Like we can see that Quiet Man only has 21 reviews for PS4 in MC while God of War has 118. So we much more often see high review scores than low ones.

Last edited:

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Quick glance at the video, and I'm left with the same feeling I generally have when I've seen people talk about RTX, namely that it really doesn't seem to be worth it. The visual difference is absolutely minimal, and really doesn't seem like it'd amount to more than a subjective choice whether you prefer it on or off. Meanwhile the performance hit is astronomical, it's like a 50% fps hit.

It's really no wonder that the tech demos nvidia puts out or it are full of glossy reflective surfaces, which is one of the main areas where it really does something visually.

Shocchiz

Nov 7, 2017
BTW just wanna say I love this game from everything I have played in my 15-20 hours of real play. Like stalker, Crysis, a bit of perfect dark and the better parts of far cry 2 in one.

With RTX on PC it looks generationally better than without it and the console versions. Yep.
So excited.
Is phys x hardware accelerated?
I have a spare 1050 I could use for it, it gave good results in the previous metros (and batman, and all the phys x hw accelerated games).
I just have to find it if it's worth it.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
I've really been feeling a tight, single players FPS for a while so this is welcome. Reviews are good, I'd hoped technical problems from previews had been ironed but it doesn't really seem to be the case.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
As a base PS4 owner, sounds like I'm best waiting for a big Black Friday discount or holding off entirely in hope that they do a Exodus Redux for next gen systems.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't add that in my review, but let's talk about that. When I was benchmarking on my other PC, I didn't sign into the launcher. It then said it couldn't do anything because it can't verify (or something to that). I did this again on another PC and I signed out of the launcher and disconnected my nic.

I was still able to run the benchmark, which requires the game. I then fired up the game via the exe and it still loaded up. So, I guess for now we don't need to be connected?

Ok cool, thank you very much for the info. I thought that might be the case. Super Meat Boy and Shadow Complex are the only single-player games I own from their store, and SMB will start via the exe, Shadow Complex won't. I figured third party publishers might not be using Epic's launcher as DRM, but this was the only way to know for sure. I just feel like people should know if they try to launch the game via the launcher without an internet connection, they'll get an error message. BUT if they launch it directly via the exe itself, it seems like they can still play it.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Reading the reviews it sounds like they nailed the main aspect that I come to Metro for which is the atmosphere and that the aspects that have always been the weakest haven't really improved much.

Which I'm definitely fine with. There's plenty of games that scratch my itch for shooters or a strong story, few games actually deliver atmosphere and tension as well as the Metro games though.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
I was even lowballing with my 85 prediction. Disappointed with the actual scores.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
"A brilliant sequel that wrestles control away a little too often."

Fuck, that's one thing I hope they would improve from the previous games.
There's just so much unskippable long animations that honestly doesn't even look very good by AAA standards.
It serve no purpose but to disrupt the fun gameplay loop and break the immersion.

Deleted member 34239

Banned
Nov 24, 2017
The gif is literally a segment from the video I made using GIFit.
Which I had not seen prior to seeing the gif. You honestly can't see why someone would skeptical? In your video gif, the background switches from one with green trees to one with dead trees. In the Gamer Nexus video, the rtx on/off switch occurs while the green trees are present in the background thus removing the cause of my initial skepticism. Compare 2:22-2:27 of the video to your gif.....

Never mind, you replaced it. Thanks.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Yup. By the time a game by a major publisher is going to come out, enough time and money has been put into it to ensure that at worst it's decent. Any game that was going to be worse than that would have been scrapped or revamped once the publisher/developer realized it. There are exceptions to this of course, but you can't suddenly adjust the review scale to account for most games being good, because then how do you grade the games that are truly bad? Go into negative scores?

I don't spend a lot of time caring about review scores, but surely there's some kind of middle ground here that allows a fuller use of the scale. Or more specifically, I think beyond a certain point I don't need to know how terrible a game is; I just need to know that it's terrible. So if we somehow are suddenly finding that a ton of games get 0.0 ratings, that's not necessarily a bad thing. The difference between a 0.0 and a -10.0 probably doesn't matter to anyone who actually cares about making a purchasing decision, unless it becomes genuinely difficult to say that a 0.0 is absolutely not worth your time.

But maybe it's all for the best that review scores are so weird, because I think it just encourages people not to pay attention to them and to actually read a review to see if the game works for them. With so many games at 8.0-8.5 or whatever, you really don't get a lot of information out of that numeric rating.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
They sure don't make em like Kasavin anymore

Oct 25, 2017
Which I had not seen prior to seeing the gif. You honestly can't see why someone would skeptical? In your video gif, the background switches from one with green trees to one with dead trees. In the Gamer Nexus video, the rtx on/off switch occurs while the green trees are present in the background thus removing the cause of my initial skepticism. Compare 2:22-2:27 of the video to your gif.....

Then maybe ask a question instead of making a snarky statement telling me to delete my comment.