• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think Metro Exodus's Metacritic Score will be?

• 93-100

Votes: 69 3.6%
  • 89-92

Votes: 423 22.2%
  • 85-88

Votes: 827 43.4%
  • 81-84

Votes: 454 23.8%
  • <80

Votes: 131 6.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

disgraciau

Oct 27, 2017
Ibiza, Balearic Islands, Spain
This might be a dumb question but is there HDR support in the pc version or just RTX? Curious if you can toggle HDR on and off alongside RTX.

I was looking at this from Tech Power up:

settings.jpg

Located here:

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Performance_Analysis/Metro_Exodus/3.html

What's "Shading Rate"? Is it SSAA or something related with RTX and/or DLSS?

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Any game 78+ on MC can be considered good as the critical consensus. The hyperbole with 85+ or 90+ or bust has to stop. It is 2019

Hype-Lord

Jan 8, 2019
Moscow, Russia
Gave the game 7.5/10 in my review (in Russian): https://meownauts.com/metro-exodus-review/

TL;DR for y'all

Cons:
— crossbow, which is the best weapon, accessed only not long before the last level (imagine a Tomb Raider game where Lara takes a bow about an hour before the last boss);
— Atryom still speaks only in loading screens;
— nothing happens almost in all of the cutscenes, it's just you listening to someones monologue for 10-20 mins;
— the stealth is boring, you can't place traps or interact with the environment (only turn off/on light sources), only throw cans and sneak around;
— there are more than few bugs (Xbox One X version), game also froze completely 3 times;
— too many VERY linear sequences, and bad ones at that.

Pros:

— atmosphere (duh);
— the crossbow;
— weapon customization and it's accessibility;
— sometimes game looks really gorgeous (but sometimes also past gen-ish, especially fire effects and water);
— the last level is really great.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah seems like unless a game gets 90+ MC it's considered "meh" which is nuts. What a gaming world we live in...

I think you answered your own question. It's the gaming world we live in.

In a world where there's so many games out there that I don't even have time to fully enjoy the critically-acclaimed titles in my backlog, an 80-82% Metacritic average can easily turn some away. The market is flooded with top-shelf gaming across multiple platforms (console, pc, mobile). There's just too much high-quality product out there and as a result people have the luxury of being more picky when time itself is the true premium.

There's also the factor of personal investment in an IP. My willingness to experience a random title will vary wildly depending on how much I'm bought in on the premise. It's no secret that I'm a Farming Simulator fanboy, and that franchise averages anywhere from 60%-70% in review aggregates. However, I could care less 'cause I know it's an experience I'm gonna enjoy so I'm always there Day One.

Conversely, take the fps genre as an example. I'm generally just not that invested. So it takes something truly special for me to stand up and take notice. As such a good but not great reception could easily sway me to pass. (Though ironically, the Metro franchise is kinda the inverse of this in I find the world and pace of the games more interesting than traditional twitch shooters, so I'm personally more willing to buy in even if it doesn't lead the pack in score aggregates.)

tl;dr People are complex, man.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
Gave the game 7.5/10 in my review (in Russian): https://meownauts.com/metro-exodus-review/

TL;DR for y'all

Cons:
— crossbow, which is the best weapon, accessed only not long before the last level (imagine a Tomb Raider game where Lara takes a bow about an hour before the last boss);
— Atryom still speaks only in loading screens;
— nothing happens almost in all of the cutscenes, it's just you listening to someones monologue for 10-20 mins;
— the stealth is boring, you can't place traps or interact with the environment (only turn off/on light sources), only throw cans and sneak around;
— there are more than few bugs (Xbox One X version), game also froze completely 3 times;
— too many VERY linear sequences, and bad ones at that.

Pros:

— atmosphere (duh);
— the crossbow;
— weapon customization and it's accessibility;
— sometimes game looks really gorgeous (but sometimes also past gen-ish, especially fire effects and water);
— the last level is really great.

Yep. I was highly disappointed about the weapon-gating. And the last level, why couldn't the entire game be like that. Really stinks that's the only segment we get like that.

Image quality slider.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
reading the review on 4players.de and whew, that doesn´t sound good regardless of the scores...i really thought that would be way higher in the reviews, seems that there are technical problems on the consoles with crashes and long load times too

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie I'm a little disappointed you can't turn motion blur off. I loathe motion blur in games and is the first thing I always turn off.

Not sure. Patiently waiting for Dictator to post his thoughts on a DF video on friday.

The DLSS implementation seems based on some interesting parameters as well. From that tech power up metro exodus tech review:

"We are a bit puzzled though, why NVIDIA is limiting the use of DLSS in some ways that make little sense. For example, you can enable DLSS at 1080p only when raytracing is enabled and you have a RTX 2060 or RTX 2070. Owners of RTX 2080 or 2080 Ti don't have access to that setting (at 1080p). When you increase resolution, those limitations are lifted gradually: at 1440p all cards can run DLSS, as long as RTX is enabled, and at 4K all cards except for RTX 2060 can run DLSS, no matter if raytracing is enabled or not. While the limitation at 4K could be explained by varying hardware capabilities, we don't understand why you shouldn't be able to run DLSS at 1080p with a RTX 2080 — to reach higher FPS rates on your 144 Hz monitor for example. "

Last edited:

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone played with Russian VO? I know you sometimes miss out on content but that's been such a big reason why I like Metro so much... just pulls me completely into the setting.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah seems like unless a game gets 90+ MC it's considered "meh" which is nuts. What a gaming world we live in...

I mean, looks at the poll options. In an ideal world the 5 options would be
50-59
60-69
70-79
80-89
90+

Instead we get it spread across from 80 to 93, 80 being presumably bad and 93+ being a masterpiece. That's how much of a joke AAA game scoring is.

(imagine a Tomb Raider game where Lara takes a bow about an hour before the last boss)

Now imagine Lara pulling her iconic dual pistols 2 minutes before the game ends lol.

digifire

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know how it runs with RTX on an 2070? Hoping it's okay since I'm still on the fence about buying.

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I mean, looks at the poll options. In an ideal world the 5 options would be
50-59
60-69
70-79
80-89
90+

Instead we get it spread across from 80 to 93, 80 being presumably bad and 93+ being a masterpiece. That's how much of a joke AAA game scoring is.

Now imagine Lara pulling her iconic dual pistols 2 minutes before the game ends lol.
Still relevant...

kj3gFME.jpg

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Really?

That's an insight I didn't expect. I figured that since XB had a marketing deal that it'd be 1X footage so going to MC and seeing PS4 reviews was quite odd to me. Can I ask what you plaayed it on? I'm looking for some PS4 Pro gameplay.

Yes, unless it's an exclusive obviously..

EA/Ubisoft are the major ones that asked me which version I wanted.. Most of the time PC Version wasn't available due to the lack of available review units for the platform.

I stopped reviewing last year because I ran out of time to do such things.

LordDraven

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
Not gonna lie I'm a little disappointed you can't turn motion blur off. I loathe motion blur in games and is the first thing I always turn off.

Not sure. Patiently waiting for Dictator to post his thoughts on a DF video on friday.

The DLSS implementation seems based on some interesting parameters as well. From that tech power up metro exodus tech review:

"We are a bit puzzled though, why NVIDIA is limiting the use of DLSS in some ways that make little sense. For example, you can enable DLSS at 1080p only when raytracing is enabled and you have a RTX 2060 or RTX 2070. Owners of RTX 2080 or 2080 Ti don't have access to that setting (at 1080p). When you increase resolution, those limitations are lifted gradually: at 1440p all cards can run DLSS, as long as RTX is enabled, and at 4K all cards except for RTX 2060 can run DLSS, no matter if raytracing is enabled or not. While the limitation at 4K could be explained by varying hardware capabilities, we don't understand why you shouldn't be able to run DLSS at 1080p with a RTX 2080 — to reach higher FPS rates on your 144 Hz monitor for example. "
not being able to turn off motion blur is a deal breaker for me :/

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I have not had one crash in over 10 hours of playing
You're lucky, then. I usually have the same luck playing Bethesda games, but not here. :lol

I had an evening a couple of days ago, with only 90 minutes to play, where the game crashed on me three times, including completely shutting of my console.

I hope they get it sorted out, because it's definitely a good game.

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
Hoped it would review better. These guys make great games, but a few more months in the oven wouldn't have hurt.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
Guess I'll keep my One X preorder and trade it as soon as I beat it. Will re-buy on Steam when it's < $10.

Deleted member 34239

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 24, 2017
You know you screwed up when God Is A Geek gives your game a 7/10 lol. Those guys give out 9's and 10's like it's christmas smh.

IMBCIT

Oct 27, 2017
So if I plan on getting it on PC all performance complaints are null? How is the PC performance in regards to crashes and lockups?

Wonder if this game would have gotten some more points if they were mostly PC reviews.