• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think Metro Exodus's Metacritic Score will be?

• 93-100

Votes: 69 3.6%
  • 89-92

Votes: 423 22.2%
  • 85-88

Votes: 827 43.4%
  • 81-84

Votes: 454 23.8%
  • <80

Votes: 131 6.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Shooting is still kinda unsatisfactory.

Stealth works much better, and it also helps that it's a viable option in a lot of situations. Stealth mechanics are still pretty basic, but they work well enough.

Ah man I was really hoping shooting would be taken to the next level but glad to hear stealth is still a really good option in this game.

Last light improved a lot of the stealth quirks from the previous one.

TheRaidenPT

Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Someone's already said they couldn't access the game's ini files. That prevented them from changing the resolution to their monitor's aspect ratio. I don't know if the launcher somehow locked those files down, but if it did, that's absolutely something that should be mentioned in a review. And if it's like other single-player games on Epic's store, you need to be connected to the internet every time you start the game. That's should also absolutely be mentioned.

That's why I'm buying on console I have an Ultrawide and if I can't use the INI then it's a skip for me.

Elohim99

Banned
Jan 2, 2019
A teaser:
uffvvjzt.png

Tom is on that!

No excuses to say Wolf, lol, but I am happy with its performance for its visuals - that is a simple thing to say.

Yep.

Eh, that is hard to say - I always recommend PC usually unless you have a really bad one.
When can we expect a DF analysis? I'm always hyped about them when a new game comes out.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I figured the high 80s/low 90s were over-optimistic. This is exactly where the first two landed, critical consensus-wise.

Still definitely looks worthwhile. If they've actually improved the feel of the weapons and the shooting mechanics, i'm down.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
That's why I'm buying on console I have an Ultrawide and if I can't use the INI then it's a skip for me.

Just give it some time, if you can. The reviewer just said they couldn't find the files, so it's likely they can be changed. The always-online thing needs to be tested, too. Someone needs to bite the bullet and just see if the game can be launched directly via the exe without being connected to the internet.

KiLAM

Jan 25, 2018
Man reading people saying that they are cancelling their preorders over a score of 82 will never stop making me lol. Just amazing.
Can't wait for friday.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
Ah man I was really hoping shooting would be taken to the next level but glad to hear stealth is still a really good option in this game.

Last light improved a lot of the stealth quirks from the previous one.
The gunplay is an improvement over Last Light, but I felt there was still plenty of room for improvement.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
BTW just wanna say I love this game from everything I have played in my 15-20 hours of real play. Like stalker, Crysis, a bit of perfect dark and the better parts of far cry 2 in one.

With RTX on PC it looks generationally better than without it and the console versions. Yep.

This is the most exciting post I've seen. I'll be playing on my 2080 so it should look phenomenal, and I like the game comparisons here. I'm also a huge fan of the series so it could have scored all 2's and I'm still in day one!!

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I'm confident I will really like it, but I was hoping this would be their breakout game critically.

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
Tell me again it doesn't impact the game

From the same review: "
Let's address the elephant in the room, and I'm not talking about the purple one I rode in on. Yes, I'm referring to the Epic Games Store mess. No, I'm not a fan of it, and no, I didn't deduct points because of it. This was nothing that 4A Games was in charge of, they didn't ask for it and it would be silly to score their game based on Deep Silver's odd business tactics. So no, I won't drop the score because the game isn't available (outside of pre-orders) on Steam. "

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Question for those who got PC version for review, was it Epic Store version or Steam version?

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
The conflicting reports on performance on X is concerning. After how well Redux ran on both consoles I was hoping for a solid 30 here. At least that one interview says X runs great compared to the others so hopefully it's fine.

I have to say that it ran quite well in almost every area, taking some hits in the "gorgeous" last one.

Overall, quite a solid experience, framerate-wise.

Oddhouse

Oct 31, 2017
I'm enjoying how grown up this thread is.

No trash talk or trolling from ordinary Era's and civilized disagreements between reviewers.

Wish all threads were like this.

Oct 25, 2017
Question for those who got PC version for review, was it Epic Store version or Steam version?

I never said trash. Just that scores are much lower than I expected. I'm sure it's good game, but I was expecting a generation defining game. I guess that's my own fault. I had never planned to buy this day one though so its not like I'm cancelling my pre-order or anything.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Ahh, another classic case of a game scoring about an 80 and everyone calling it trash.

I don't think most people are calling it trash - it's just interesting that it fell below era's expectations (see the OP distribution).

Shooting is still kinda unsatisfactory.

Stealth works much better, and it also helps that it's a viable option in a lot of situations. Stealth mechanics are still pretty basic, but they work well enough.
It was an improvement over Last Light for sure, but I found it to be serviceable in the best of situations.

That said, toying around with the customization mechanics was something that made me appreciate the gunplay more.

Yeah this has always been my feeling about the Metro games. I gave them 2033 a try on PS3 and then Last Light on PS4 and I just couldn't get past how dull and unrewarding the shooting mechanics were. And I'm definitely not a guy that requires mechanics, as I enjoy the light adventure/"walking simulator" genre plenty.

TheRaidenPT

Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
I'm still buying day one regardless, need a pause from Apex Legends and I'm not up to replay Resident Evil 2 again.

Just sad that the story doesn't have a main antagonist or have a proper "closure" I suppose

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
Still hyped for this but barely touched Last Light. Is it worth finishing LL first before getting into Exodus?

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
I imagined as much. There's something... rough and cold around the whole series. Small stains casting a shadow over otherwise pretty solid games. It goes as far as to its visuals. Beautiful to look at, up to the point when enemies appear on screen, their animations and hit reaction sobering the impression. It comes with a lot of good, but here and there you find these oddities or less-than-brilliant encounters that make for a game close to the top echelon, but not there yet. Still, I'm sure it'll be enjoyable for newcomers and fans alike, now let's see what they get to do in the future.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I wish I had $1200+ to drop on a GPU so I could experience the raytracing, but I'm sure the 1080 Ti will provide a great experience.

kittoo

Banned
Apr 20, 2018
Decent reviews. Expected slightly better but still going to buy it. Single player games deserve support. I wish it was on steam too but its OK. Not the developer's fault anyway. To not buy it would be stupid.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can someone explain why the game is marketed by XBOX but the reviews are all PS4? I have no idea where the footage I'm looking at was captured.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Damn so many expected a MC above 84 lol. Feeling good about my 81-84 vote, hopefully doesn't fall lower. These games have their loveable jank and that's okay

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
Divisive as always
Highly disappointing scores. I thought this might be their Witcher 3.
C'mon, you were preparing yourself for disappointment

From the gameplay trailers you could see that a lot of it was not "GOAT" quality

Animations and dialogue, even from the trailers, seemed pretty bad.

And the characters/story were never good with these games.

This game seems to be 2033/Last Light but prettier and semi open world

The other espects of the series seems unchanged

Mar 29, 2018
Not surprising that the silent protagonist thing is starting to become grating. It was already getting old in Last Light.

No idea why silent protagonists are still a design choice in 2019. *eyes Nintendo*
I think it can work well but only if the silence is somehow part of the concept.

The forced silence on a character who should be talking is definitely pretty bad. This looks like it might be one of those. That said, it can make sense from a budgetary and/or immersion standpoint.

The worst combo is a character who doesn't get much development and is pretty much a "shell" but still talks pretty often. I love these games, but Dying Light, Titanfall 2 and Resident Evil 7 were all bad for this.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
I hope the game receives a 90+ MC rating for the team but expect it to be closer to the mid-high 80s. Regardless, I'm excited.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
Just give it some time, if you can. The reviewer just said they couldn't find the files, so it's likely they can be changed. The always-online thing needs to be tested, too. Someone needs to bite the bullet and just see if the game can be launched directly via the exe without being connected to the internet.

I didn't add that in my review, but let's talk about that. When I was benchmarking on my other PC, I didn't sign into the launcher. It then said it couldn't do anything because it can't verify (or something to that). I did this again on another PC and I signed out of the launcher and disconnected my nic.

I was still able to run the benchmark, which requires the game. I then fired up the game via the exe and it still loaded up. So, I guess for now we don't need to be connected?

TheRaidenPT

Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
I think it can work well but only if the silence is somehow part of the concept.

The forced silence on a person who should be talking is definitely pretty bad. That said, it can make sense from a budgetary/immersion standpoint.

The worst combo is a character who doesn't get much development and is pretty much a "shell" but still talks pretty often (I love the games but Dying Light, Titanfall 2 and Resident Evil 7 were all bad for this).

Problem is.. both Metro games narrative wasn't centered around the silent character... Which is confusing as hell on why he doesn't speak on so many occasions

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
ikr, to me, it mostly just looks like someone increased the brightness.
Mmmmm yeah.... um... no?
This might be a dumb question but is there HDR support in the pc version or just RTX? Curious if you can toggle HDR on and off alongside RTX.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Performance_Analysis/Metro_Exodus/3.html

Will cover on friday! Patience! I am sadly not a machine!

The flesh is weak!

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Only thing that concerns me is premium console performance... was always worried the 4K might come at the expense of performance. Hopefully they iron it out.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Most of the time publishers ask us which version do we want to play on.

Really?

That's an insight I didn't expect. I figured that since XB had a marketing deal that it'd be 1X footage so going to MC and seeing PS4 reviews was quite odd to me. Can I ask what you plaayed it on? I'm looking for some PS4 Pro gameplay.

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, holding off on this game for now, Wanna play it in all its glory with RTX but not until next-gen nvidia cards come out as the 20xx series isn't worth it plus I want to wait for the steam release as well.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Mmmmm yeah.... um... no?

Will cover on friday! Patience! I am sadly not a machine!

The flesh is weak!
People are either blind or don't pay attention. On my smartphone, the lighting jump is generational jump in quality over the regular lighting. Too bad I only have a GTX 1080. Rtx is on metro is not worth buying a card for it.