• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think Metro Exodus's Metacritic Score will be?

• 93-100

Votes: 69 3.6%
  • 89-92

Votes: 423 22.2%
  • 85-88

Votes: 827 43.4%
  • 81-84

Votes: 454 23.8%
  • <80

Votes: 131 6.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, it would benefit so much from ditching the entire cast. I'd have preferred something more...solitary and atmospheric. The characters and story scenes are THE worst part by far.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
My review at The Outerhaven - 4.5/5.
https://www.theouterhaven.net/2019/02/review-metro-exodus-theres-only-metro-nothing-else/

Did any reviews end up discussing the Steam/Epic issue?
I do address it in my review. Mainly my stance on the matter and also issues/problems presented by the EGS.

Mainly not being able to find and tweak the ini files. Which is a huge issue for me, as I game on a widescreen monitor. In the previous games I could access the ini and change the configs. Can't do it here. I've contacted Epic multiple times regarding the location and they wouldn't tell me.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
PCGamer, 78/100:

By leaving the tunnels of the Moscow Metro behind, the artists and world-builders at 4A Games have created something pretty incredible here. This voyage through a bleak Russian wasteland, from abandoned cities and burning deserts to autumnal forests and freezing tundras, is full of surprises and stunning scenery. It's just a shame your interaction with this brave new world largely consists of shooting at it. Metro Exodus is, in many ways, a pretty rote FPS attached to a setting that deserves much better.

https://www.pcgamer.com/metro-exodus-review/

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
Visually it's good, but not great. The levels themselves look pretty good (in particular one of the later ones is beautiful), but the texture quality is pretty low and the characters don't look good at all.

Performance can take some dips, especially in the early Moscow level. It evens out once you hit the bigger levels, oddly enough, but still feels like it drops below 30 occasionally.

I agree, played it on XB1 and felt it ran OK, yet it did not stun me the way I hoped. I was quite disappointed by the animations too.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I guess it's going from a "maybe buy now on PS4 as it won't be on Steam" to " I can wait a while until a discounted version shows up on Steam eventually".

Good thing too, got plenty of things to play, finishing Subnautica as my wife got me Dark Souls 3 for Valentine's Day, and Sekiro is coming up soon (please be good)...
And then it's going to be Days Gone time before I know it.

Oct 26, 2017
And I just had to buy it on launch. Starting to sound like a game where I should have waited for a few patches first. I hate hard crashes, can live with some framedrops (I'm playing Fallout 4's DLCs now, and enjoying it a lot, nuff said.) but despise insane loading times.

KingKong

Oct 27, 2017
My review at The Outerhaven - 4.5/5.
https://www.theouterhaven.net/2019/02/review-metro-exodus-theres-only-metro-nothing-else/

I do address it in my review. Mainly my stance on the matter and also issues/problems presented by the EGS.

Mainly not being able to find and tweak the ini files. Which is a huge issue for me, as I game on a widescreen monitor. In the previous games I could access the ini and change the configs. Can't do it here. I've contacted Epic multiple times regarding the location and they wouldn't tell me.

Thats weird, it should still create config files somewhere in your documents or appdata

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I seem to disagree with many on the story. I LIKED the longer cutscenes and characters also had no problem with the voice acting overall. While the script might have been a bit out there at times. To me without them I would have enjoyed the game less because it DID make the choice to put you in a group and without me knowing more about the group and the shit they do the less I would have cared.
But thats just my opinion of course

Oct 26, 2017
Visually it's good, but not great. The levels themselves look pretty good (in particular one of the later ones is beautiful), but the texture quality is pretty low and the characters don't look good at all.

Performance can take some dips, especially in the early Moscow level. It evens out once you hit the bigger levels, oddly enough, but still feels like it drops below 30 occasionally.

Wtf. But the footage so far has been looking fine and apparently it's amazing on PC. Hopefully not a case of a dev pushing for native 4K but keeping quality of textures and such low.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Runs bad on premium consoles while not looking too hot, I can only imagine how it is on base consoles.

On top of that, story and characters are bad? What's left in the game then, good shooting?

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Consider that the main issue is the initial loading time of the game, which could reach a pair of minutes. Then, every time you die and reload it gets 10/15 seconds on XB1.

Not short, yet bearable.
Yeah, this is true. The bigger problem is that the game locks up frequently, requiring you to restart and reload. If that were fixed, the load times absolutely wouldn't be so bad.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
BTW just wanna say I love this game from everything I have played in my 15-20 hours of real play. Like stalker, Crysis, a bit of perfect dark and the better parts of far cry 2 in one.

With RTX on PC it looks generationally better than without it and the console versions. Yep.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
So good game but console performance is not too great with some real long load times seems to be the consensus yes? I only have a base PS4 so guess i'll wait to see if it gets patched.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
BTW just wanna say I love this game from everything I have played in my 15-20 hours of real play. Like stalker, Crysis, a bit of perfect dark and the better parts of far cry 2 in one.

With RTX on PC it looks generationally better than without it and the console versions. Yep.

Any comments on performance Pro/X version not sure which one to pick

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
That should absolutely NOT be part of a review.
It shouldn't, but it needed to be mentioned at least.

What I said.

Let's address the elephant in the room, and I'm not talking about the purple one I rode in on. Yes, I'm referring to the Epic Games Store mess. No, I'm not a fan of it, and no, I didn't deduct points because of it. This was nothing that 4A Games was in charge of, they didn't ask for it and it would be silly to score their game based on Deep Silver's odd business tactics. So no, I won't drop the score because the game isn't available (outside of pre-orders) on Steam. Doing so would be a disrespect to the series, to the developers and to myself. It also would be a shame if people decide not to play the game due to the same tactics. It's a wonderful title and one that should be played. Not sat on for another year or waited until the price drops.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not a reviewer but I have been playing on x and yes the load times can be long especially when loading in from the main menu after hitting continue, feels like over a minute. I haven't seen any of these other performance issues people are talking about though. Game has been flawless for me besides loading times

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Yeah, this is true. The bigger problem is that the game locks up frequently, requiring you to restart and reload. If that were fixed, the load times absolutely wouldn't be so bad.

Since you played it on the Xbox, how frequent is the freezing? Also, when it freezes, can you go back to the dashboard, or is it a freeze where you have to restart the console?

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
PC sounds like what the game was meant to be played on, which is a pleasant surprise. Excited to finally play something on my PC, it's been a while.
Not according to Gamebolt https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOVcP0Jvd9I 🤣
The PC is the best-looking version of Metro Exodus provided you have the hardware. However, in terms of performance, Xbox One X takes the lead over both the PC and PS4 Pro. So, overall, the Xbox One X version has a lot of good things going for it, so we recommend the Xbox One X platform for Metro Exodus for its stable frame rate, higher resolution than the PS4 Pro and a assets package that is closer to PC.

Froz3n

Banned
Aug 27, 2018

How long until the video about RTX in this game? :O Performance impact actually seems okay, and it's probably the use of RTX that makes the most sense to me.

Also need to know if are you gonna find an excuse to say Wolfenstein in the video? xD

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like my prediction for an 82 was spot on. I could tell from previews this was going to be a game that some people really had some issues with.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Can you run this in The main language with English subtitles

Last edited:

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah, it would benefit so much from ditching the entire cast. I'd have preferred something more...solitary and atmospheric. The characters and story scenes are THE worst part by far.
Are they a big departure from 2033 and Last Light? Because I felt they were fine in those. I also look at these games contextually, given the location and heritage of its creators, I'm not expecting Naughty Dog or Rockstar character depth & cinematography lol.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but in ANY case it should not be mentioned in a review, either in a good or bad way. It has NOTHING to do with the quality of the game itself.

Except it does, because a poster already said EGS didn't allow him to edit the INI files that he needs to for his widescreen monitor.