• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SliChillax

Oct 30, 2017
Tirana, Albania
It works fine on my Vega56, I just tried it.
On a different PC with a 2080ti it seems there's some kind of gamma problem that leads to a washed out image, with blown-out whites too.
I think that's the issue when you use DLSS and HDR together. I'll have to test it again as soon as it comes out on Steam. I don't remember correctly as I played it on PC game pass and don't have a subscription anymore.

Shocchiz

Nov 7, 2017
I think that's the issue when you use DLSS and HDR together. I'll have to test it again as soon as it comes out on Steam. I don't remember correctly as I played it on PC game pass and don't have a subscription anymore.
I remember the DLSS + HDR issue, but with dlss on and off I get the same results. I'll do some more tests later.

EDIT: it seems the blown out white problems disappears when DLSS is off. I tried both Epic and WS versions, same results.

Last edited:

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't the HDR+DLSS issue fixed a long time ago in the game?
I, at least, remember people posting about it on the steam community hub page.

Shocchiz

Nov 7, 2017
Wasn't the HDR+DLSS issue fixed a long time ago in the game?
I, at least, remember people posting about it on the steam community hub page.
I finished the game way before it was fixed.
I remember it DLSS + HDR was completely broken, but I have no idea how and when it was fixed.
What I know is that I launched the game yesterday and while DLSS is hugely improved, while the DLSS + HDR combo is nowhere near as bad as it was before, there still are some issues (at least here).

EDIT: I found my own post with pictures. It's nowhere near as bad as it was before. HDR now is slight overly brighter and with some blown out whites. I didn't do much testing, but that's what I immediately noticed.
www.resetera.com

Metro Exodus PC performance thread

For me it is, DX12 ran like complete garbage even at 1080p, so I couldn't imagine 1440p. I switched to DX11 and now it runs beautifully at 1080p and pretty good at 1440p on High settings.

Last edited:

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So it is better, but not fixed. Got it.
BTW, the second DLC is still not up for purchase on Steam. At least not the "Stand Alone" pack. I hope they do not forget about it.

Shocchiz

Nov 7, 2017
BTW, the second DLC is still not up for purchase on Steam. At least not the "Stand Alone" pack. I hope they do not forget about it.
I just saw EvilBoris video, and he mentioned gamma problems that can be exposed (not fixed) using the photo mode
www.youtube.com

Metro Exodus HDR Analysis + Settings Tips

Our resident HDR analyst Adam Fairclough (aka @EvilBoris) analyses the HDR picture quality on Metro Exodus through the Xbox One X, and gives some tips on the...

So I started photo mode and guess what, the image is overly exposed (with the 2080ti and DLSS + HDR. Vega56 HDR is fine). 2 clicks to the left, all is fine. Too bad nothing can be done in real time.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
It will go up tomorrow 9am pt time I believe from their Twitter account. The store on epic is preventing me from buying the season pass because I bought previous dlc separately. Let's hope there is a stand alone version.

Shocchiz

Nov 7, 2017
I started the game in safe mode, and that apparently fixed the problem for me. I lowered the ingame gamma a notch, no more blown out whites (didn't work before).
I didn't properly tested it, but I hope everything is fine now.
Guess I can buy the Expansion Pass now, I am waiting for Sam's Story impression/reviews.

shinbojan

Oct 27, 2017
1080ti, 1080p, extreme - 45fps in the first zone.
Had 60fps in almost all parts of the base game.

taggen86

Mar 3, 2018
The most recent patch has totally messed up HDR. Now Everything is grey and washed out on my oled and I have to decrease brightness from 50 to 40(!) to get the nice inky blacks the game had before. I just cannot play the new DLC under these conditions. Doesnt look like they have fixed HDR when using DLSS either, as you can no longer see the sun when enabling it. Using a 2080 ti on a C9 oled.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
The most recent patch has totally messed up HDR. Now Everything is grey and washed out on my oled and I have to decrease brightness from 50 to 40(!) to get the nice inky blacks the game had before. I just cannot play the new DLC under these conditions. Doesnt look like they have fixed HDR when using DLSS either, as you can no longer see the sun when enabling it. Using a 2080 ti on a C9 oled.

I think the last patch completely screwed something again, I'm getting black crush and gamma issues. This game is an absolute shit show technically, it's ridiculous.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017

It'd be great if, now that the Switch port of Redux is out, they turn their attention back to this and fix HDR and update to the latest version of DLSS.

Mini-Me

Oct 25, 2017
I swear there's something wrong with the textures in this DLC. I remember the base game's texture quality being pretty solid (though up close thins definitely looks a bit grungy). But so much stuff in the DLC looks muddy and there's some noticeable texture pop at times, I see it most often on the fallen logs in the water.

GasPanic!

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah after one of the last patches HDR is totally messed up for me. Washed out colors and grey instead of black. Also changing the resolution in-game gives me different HDR results, like crushed blacks and really saturated colors or different levels of washed out colors. It's like a gamble.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I swear there's something wrong with the textures in this DLC. I remember the base game's texture quality being pretty solid (though up close thins definitely looks a bit grungy). But so much stuff in the DLC looks muddy and there's some noticeable texture pop at times, I see it most often on the fallen logs in the water.

There's some spotty textures in the base game too but it feels like they've dropped the ball again with this expansion when comes to polish and bugs.

Later parts of the DLC are just as taxing as the intro.

Yep the whole thing just performs significantly worse than the base game but the visuals don't warrant the drop. Feels like an optimisation issue and a rushed product to be honest.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
guess im passing on the dlc for now. I really liked the base game and the two colonels but the performance always felt shaky and inconsistent.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
guess im passing on the dlc for now. I really liked the base game and the two colonels but the performance always felt shaky and inconsistent.

Perfomance in the base game and Two Colonels is actually fine even with RTX on. It's terrible in Sam's Story though feels like its back to the state of the game on day 1 before any patches.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Perfomance in the base game and Two Colonels is actually fine even with RTX on. It's terrible in Sam's Story though feels like its back to the state of the game on day 1 before any patches.

Yeah I played the game when it was new and back then the RTX performance was pretty inconsistent (RTX 2080@1440p). Some levels were fine but then the forest level came up and I was getting drops under 40 fps regularly. And DLSS looked really poor back then, some effects were pixelated as fuck.

The Two Colonels was better but i think my graphics settings were reset and I probably pushed too hard.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
It is not a problem I think at all with the game coding, rather the content. After the game launched we covered how those areas with alpha run decidedly heavier than the rest of the game, by quite a lot actually. It is normal to expect as alpha testing and the over draw even without rt is much heavier. Sams Story is a Ton of trees, foliage and a lot of objects.

It runs pretty much just like the Taiga Level

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
It is not a problem I think at all with the game coding, rather the content. After the game launched we covered how those areas with alpha run decidedly heavier than the rest of the game, by quite a lot actually. It is normal to expect as alpha testing and the over draw even without rt is much heavier. Sams Story is a Ton of trees, foliage and a lot of objects.

Is the new expansion more CPU dependant? Any new RTX techniques this time? I'm on a 4.4ghz 6600k, 2070 Super, 16Gb RAM and a NvME SSD and never dropped a frame at 1080p60fps with full RTX/Ultra/DLSS on including Taiga. I'm using the exact same settings in Sam's Story and I'm tanking to low 50s pretty constantly even when the areas aren't that open.

I'm also getting crazy black crush in SDR that never happened in the base game.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Is the new expansion more CPU dependant? Any new RTX techniques this time? I'm on a 4.4ghz 6600k, 2070 Super, 16Gb RAM and a NvME SSD and never dropped a frame at 1080p60fps with full RTX/Ultra/DLSS on including Taiga. I'm using the exact same settings in Sam's Story and I'm tanking to low 50s pretty constantly even when the areas aren't that open.

I'm also getting crazy black crush in SDR that never happened in the base game.
CPU wise I noticed that it is indeed heavier than most areas of the base game - first overlook in was in the lower 50s and my gpu was under utilised and downclocking a tiny bit. All on an 3900x.

I think you are seeing CPU Limits.
We will probably use that area in CPU benches going forward.
cpu_limitojkw5.jpg

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dictator
You can also use the map area after
Drinking with the old captain
It is just as, maybe even a bit more taxing at times

cpua3kev.jpg

taggen86

Mar 3, 2018
Yeah after one of the last patches HDR is totally messed up for me. Washed out colors and grey instead of black. Also changing the resolution in-game gives me different HDR results, like crushed blacks and really saturated colors or different levels of washed out colors. It's like a gamble.

Just tested the game on xbox and the black levels are ok there. So the problem seems to be pc specific. I really hope they fix it soon so I can play the dlc on pc. The game looks awful in this condition. Really sad as the HDR wqs incredible before

edit: no the black levels are not correct on Xbox either.

Last edited:

SliChillax

Oct 30, 2017
Tirana, Albania
I remember the DLSS + HDR issue, but with dlss on and off I get the same results. I'll do some more tests later.

EDIT: it seems the blown out white problems disappears when DLSS is off. I tried both Epic and WS versions, same results.
I just bought the game again on Steam and HDR is very washed out even with DLSS turned off. I do not remember HDR looking this bad, apparently it was broken after a patch?

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
CPU wise I noticed that it is indeed heavier than most areas of the base game - first overlook in was in the lower 50s and my gpu was under utilised and downclocking a tiny bit. All on an 3900x.

I think you are seeing CPU Limits.
We will probably use that area in CPU benches going forward.
cpu_limitojkw5.jpg

55fps on a 3900x? Geez.

taggen86

Mar 3, 2018
I just bought the game again on Steam and HDR is very washed out even with DLSS turned off. I do not remember HDR looking this bad, apparently it was broken after a patch?

yes one of the latest patches has totally broken HDR. It has never been this bad. It is basically impossible to get correct black levels now without adjusting the TVs brightness setting (and this is true for both DLSS on and off). It is really sad as the HDR looked incredible before

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
So why haven't the developers updated DLSS to the latest version? Looks really blurry at 1440p and running the game at lower resolutions looks better with sharpening

pulsemyne

Oct 30, 2017

Yeah, it's been my experience as well. Performance is roughly around the same level as Taiga with RTX and DLSS on. I just decided to cap at 30fps. It's not like exodus is a fast twitch shooter so it's okay. I have noticed some odd texture loading issues now and again though but they were also present in the main game. One sign, in particular, appeared incredibly low res until I took a side step to the left and it popped into high res.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Good lord does the Steam version run way way better than the GamePass version. Already worth the money in that respect.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
How's that even possible? Don't the devs update the MS Store version?
That's one thing (among many) I dislike about that storefront: it's super hard to keep track of existing and downloaded updates.

Honestly, it legit feels like they threw Metro onto the MS Store and then just left it like that. The thing is so borked. For me to play it, I have to crash it first. Every single fucking time. And then I can run it normally, but it runs like crap, or I can put it in safe mode and then it runs better but looks no where near as good.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
To be honest I didn't notice much difference between the Windows Store version and the EGS one in terms of performance.