• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

(Click for general game info.)

🖥️ System requirements:
metroexodussysreqsxckym.jpg

(See this page for more detailed information.)

🧰 Latest drivers: (as at 24/02/2022)
AMD: 22.2.2
Nvidia: 511.79

📊 Benchmarks:
3DNews (Russian; launch build)*
DSOGaming (English; launch build)
GameGPU (Russian; review build)*
GameGPU (Russian; 11/02/2020 build; Sam's Story expansion)*
Guru3D (English; review build)
GamersNexus (English; review build)*
Hardware.info (Dutch; launch build)
Hardwareluxx (German; review build)*
Overclock3D (English; review build)*
PC Games Hardware (German; review build)*
PurePC (Polish; launch build)*
TechPowerUp (English; review build)*
TechSpot (English; launch build)*

* Includes RTX benchmarks.

🎩 Tips and tricks:
Cap the frame rate/potentially improve frame times: Download RivaTuner Statistics Server (if you use MSI Afterburner, then you already have it installed), input your desired framerate limit in the "Framerate limit" box, and hit Enter . Alternatively, those with an Nvidia GPU can either cap the frame rate at the driver level via the Nvidia Control Panel (requires the 441.87+ drivers) or use Nvidia Inspector to force a vsync internal lower than one-half (click the small tool icon to open the game profile section).
Note: Useful if your system can't maintain, say, 60fps and you're sensitive to the wild fluctuations, or you're experiencing uneven frame times. The greater window the engine has to render a given frame, if you're imposing a lower frame rate than the game can otherwise provide, may also help in alleviating stuttering related to data streaming.
Run the benchmark tool: Open Steam\SteamApps\common\Metro Exodus\Benchmark.exe, select your desired settings, click "Run", and confirm the launch parameters in Steam.
Note: May silently crash when using DX12.
Adjust field of view: Follow these instructions. (Credit to disgraciau.)
Fix ray tracing option missing on RTX-capable systems: Ensure the latest build of Windows 10 is correctly installed by running the Windows 10 Update Assistant. (Credit to Chance Hale.)
Disable motion blur: Open %USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\metro exodus\[user ID]\user.cfg and set r_game_mblur_scale and r_blur_level to 0. (Credit to Kalik.)

icon_warning.png
When posting your own tip/trick or something else you'd like to see here in the OP, be sure to tag my username (@GrrImAFridge), as this way I'll receive a notification. I may miss your suggestion otherwise.

⚙️ Graphics settings:

Resolution: Self-explanatory
Quality: Low; Medium; High; Ultra; Extreme
Vsync: Off; Full; Half
Gamma: Self-explanatory
Motion blur: Low; Normal; High
DirectX: DX11/DX12

Nvidia RTX: Off/On
Ray tracing: Off; High; Ultra
DLSS: Off/On
HairWorks: Off/On
Advanced PhysX: Off/On
Tessellation: Off/On
Texture filtering: AF 4x/AF 16x
Shading rate: 0.4 -> 4.0 in increments of 0.1

Last edited:

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thread went online just as the game released on Steam and EGS :)
You were holding your finger on the post button ^^

As always thanks for making those threads.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Looking forward to this being the third Metro game that wrecks my hardware maxed out. It's how it should be.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Some review mentioned that the benchmark is excessively heavy and doesn't really show how the game really performs, keep that in mind.

IMBCIT

Oct 27, 2017
I am assuming we will have to mod user.cfg file for FoV like the other titles in the series?

Can't believe its been almost 6 years since I played last light.

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
man my game just crashes or has terrible sound issues...its weird. that intro is unskippable, annoying and long as shit...i cant even use the steam interface while the intro is on

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Game was running great until it suddenly wasn't running at all.

Had a massive hard lock of my entire system right after the first playable section. It was like literally ten minutes in to the game. It locked up right as I was being
rescued by a couple of guys

Validating my Steam files now but damn, not a real good first impression.

All files were successfully validated. I guess I'll try again and see.

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Game was running great until it suddenly wasn't running at all.

Had a massive hard lock of my entire system right after the first playable section. It was like literally ten minutes in to the game. It locked up right as I was being
rescued by a couple of guys

Validating my Steam files now but damn, not a real good first impression.

All files were successfully validated. I guess I'll try again and see.
yup. this is EXACTLY what happened to me. EXACTLY at the same spot.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
maybe dx11...i had it on dx12.
I might try that I guess. The game was running so well too.

Whatever it is that I try, I'll save it for tomorrow. I'm already annoyed and trying to mess around with this at 1AM just isn't going to help matters.

Maybe by then some answers will be found.

KiLAM

Jan 25, 2018
Playing on 4k, High at AA4X, physx enabled with 1080ti amd 8700k
Played only the 1st hour yet, haven't run into any issues and runs stable( haven't tested it yet but feels close to 50-60fps)

Is there any way to get white crosshairs instead of those ugly yellow ones. Looks so bad I have turned crosshairs off for now.

IMBCIT

Oct 27, 2017
One of the first things I did when I first booted was switch it to dx11 (like every game) so I didn't run into that issue. Hopefully it's smooth sailing rest of the game.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
My keybinds are messed up. Tried changing the holster key and now it says N/D and I can't map any thing to it. Even when I restored default settings.

Any idea where I can find the config files?

Last edited:

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Playing on 4k, High at AA4X, physx enabled with 1080ti amd 8700k
Played only the 1st hour yet, haven't run into any issues and runs stable( haven't tested it yet but feels close to 50-60fps)

Is there any way to get white crosshairs instead of those ugly yellow ones. Looks so bad I have turned crosshairs off for now.
That actually sounds really impressive.

OP
OP
GrrImAFridge

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Thread went online just as the game released on Steam and EGS :)
You were holding your finger on the post button ^^

As always thanks for making those threads.

<3

Saoirse sure is looking good these days.

Who would've thought that she'd end up in Congress. ;)

I thought there were two rtx settings, how do you switch between them?

Ray tracing and DLSS can be configured independently. "Nvidia RTX" is just a quick toggle that enables/disables both.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018

Slammey

Mar 8, 2018

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Those who turn on DLSS maybe can try to add some sharpness with ReShade if image is blurry. I did that when I couldn't run AC Unity at 1080p back in a day and I was running it at 900p.

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
Does Exodus avoid the issue of different mouse sensitivities applying for vertical and horizontal movement? Was dreadful in 2033 and Last Light (plus Redux versions) without a downloaded fix.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Pretty rough results with RTX on at 4K with a 2080Ti according to benchmarks. Haven't tried it yet myself. Hopefully this has good DLSS implementation when it's fixed.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can't get the Benchmark to work. It's just a black screen... Not a deal breaker but strange.

edit: Closed RTSS and now the benchmark loads...

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I didn't see this thread. I'll repost my findings.

Very impressed with the performance in Metro Exodus on my 2080. My GPU utilization is hitting highs of 65% at 60fps on 1080p on ultra settings, hairworks, physx, and RTX on, DLSS off. And here I was fretting about not having done the step-up to a 2080Ti.

myzhi

Oct 27, 2017
Oh I didn't see this thread. I'll repost my findings.

Very impressed with the performance in Metro Exodus on my 2080. My GPU utilization is hitting highs of 65% at 60fps on 1080p on ultra settings, hairworks, physx, and RTX on, DLSS off. And here I was fretting about not having done the step-up to a 2080Ti.
With extra gpu power, you should use DSR and downscale.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
can someone explain DLSS for those without RTX cards...in Exodus there's no AA option at all...in the previous 2 Metro games there was an SSAA option...does that mean that any game that comes with DLSS will not have any other AA method available for those without RTX cards?...and if another AA method is available (if I have an RTX card) can I choose both DLSS and whatever other AA option there is (for example TAA + DLSS)?

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
DLSS looks absolutely horrible and ads some weird gray filter to everything when I turned it on. Running at 4k rtx high ultra settings on a 2080ti, latest drivers.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I agree. DLSS looks terrible in this game. It's just 1440p but blurrier.

can someone explain DLSS for those without RTX cards...in Exodus there's no AA option at all...in the previous 2 Metro games there was an SSAA option...does that mean that any game that comes with DLSS will not have any other AA method available for those without RTX cards?...and if another AA method is available (if I have an RTX card) can I choose both DLSS and whatever other AA option there is (for example TAA + DLSS)?
There is still TAA without DLSS and using sampling rate allows you to change internal rendering res on top of that.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Does game support Nvidia Ansel Freestyle Filters? That is another way to add sharpness.