• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
With Exodus I can't shake the looming push by the narrative that for me trivialises the progression, because I don't care about the narrative. The cast is boring, the premise is a dull set up and delivered awfully due to a messy audio mixing, and so any moment I'm engaging with NPCs and having the narrative build its world I either have no idea what's going on or don't care. And because there's no real sense of open progression, it's all an illusion, I can't help but feel all my secondary exploring is just burning the fuse, buying time unnecessarily as the game inevitably funnels me towards some NPC-related story objective of which I have no choice in or sense of presence.

Basically, I don't give a flying fuck about anyone or anything, and I don't feel the game cares enough to reward my investment in the world its created. Maybe I could go explore that area over there? Yeah but then I have to chew through a ton of mutants with my already limited ammo in faux-open areas and be rewarded with nothing that really helps me progress into the story missions I'll be rapidly funnelled into anyway, wherein I'll inevitably have several boring characters talk over each other, have to shoot scripted mutant and/or human encounters, and then be talked at or forced into situations my mute protagonist is just a passenger in. Scatter a ton of self indulgent first person over scripted cinematic moments and we're done.

i get where you are coming from but somehow...isn´t this a good merge of Metro and Stalker? Metro is linear, narrative driven and Stalker is more open and here you have both...i don´t see how they could have done it otherwise.

it is certainly a bold decision they´ve made because basically they stripped the game off the things people liked about Metro: claustrophobic environments and tight tunnels. As a big Stalker fan Metro Exodus hits all the right notes for me while still maintaining a tight narrative but if someone isn´t interested in the narrative then yeah, it falls flat for sure because it doesn´t have those expansive systems other than crafting health kits and bullets and finding upgrades.

For me this is basically Stalker 2019 edition and i love it for that, it is more the buggy AI and bad controls that hamper the experience for me

Supreme Leader Galahad

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
how can i make the single bullet shotgun that i see in the previuos trailers of the game?
for now i only have the magnum, the assault rifle and the air-pressure rifle.
do i have to pick him from enemies in the first open area?
There are a few on the open world outside of enemy drops, the first one i know its inside a partially submerged house in front of the church.

Last edited:

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...n-is-no-1-but-metro-exodus-is-the-real-winner

UK opening weekend for Metro (physical) up 50% over Last Light. Happy for 4A.

hopefully they take it as a motivation to finetune the game, it is in need of some patches that tighten up the technical aspects. but yeah happy for them, i have seldomly seen such a well realized and detailed game world, you don´t get something like that anymore these days

This game is perfect on RHC. As long as you play mostly steathily and enjoy scavenging you will have plenty ammo. Feels like RE games.

for me it is much better than RE2 because it all feels more believable and the atmosphere in the game is off the charts. i often just stop to soak in the environments and this is a thing i do not often in games anymore. RHC is true survival and i love it.

Morrowless

Oct 27, 2017
This game is perfect on RHC. As long as you play mostly steathily and enjoy scavenging you will have plenty ammo. Feels like RE games.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to drag others into my cyclone of cynicism and I really want to give it more of a shock, but this is probably going to end up in the same camp as Wolfenstein The New Colossus: Disappointment.
This is the most damning statement that could have been said holy fuck

Exodus was one of my most anticipated releases of the year, but seeing as how mixed the response has been, I'm definitely going to wait for a deep sale now

what a bummer

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
i get where you are coming from but somehow...isn´t this a good merge of Metro and Stalker? Metro is linear, narrative driven and Stalker is more open and here you have both...i don´t see how they could have done it otherwise.

it is certainly a bold decision they´ve made because basically they stripped the game off the things people liked about Metro: claustrophobic environments and tight tunnels. As a big Stalker fan Metro Exodus hits all the right notes for me while still maintaining a tight narrative but if someone isn´t interested in the narrative then yeah, it falls flat for sure because it doesn´t have those expansive systems other than crafting health kits and bullets and finding upgrades.

For me this is basically Stalker 2019 edition and i love it for that, it is more the buggy AI and bad controls that hamper the experience for me

I think that's my issue though; I don't think it's a good merger of Metro and STALKER. I think the holdover from Metro's linearity and 4A's extremely heavy emphasis on scripting and narrative do a consistent disservice to any STALKER elements that try to seep in.

I really wish I felt the same way as you though :(.

Exodus was one of my most anticipated releases of the year, but seeing as how mixed the response has been, I'm definitely going to wait for a deep sale now

what a bummer

You should definitely not listen to me because many others, like the above, share similar taste to me and are loving it.

APerfectOrganism

Sky Van Gogh
Dec 23, 2018
Washington State

what a bummer
But why? Plenty of people are loving the game, myself included, and plenty of people are bummed for one reason or another. I am absolutely enthralled and feel it is nothing like the disappointment that Wolfenstein The New Colosus was. I'm going to address some of the things people have brought up and my feelings of the game.

The controls are fine, a little heavy but adjust the sensitivity and after a few minutes you won't notice it. Frankly people are blowing that out of proportion. This isnt a Prey or Rise of the Tomb Raider Situation where I literally could not play either due to input lag and dead zone issues.

I love the story and setting. The moment to moment gameplay is enthralling. Like STALKER meets Metro. The characters have so much uniqueness as does each area. The guns feel awesome, the feeling of immersion and exploration are incredible too.

I was looking forward to this since it was announced, and I am not disappointed at all. If you loved the first two, don't get caught up in the echo chamber here. And frankly I wouldn't trust it either. The reviews are all glowing. I'm baffled why so many are hating so hard. But you know - opinions.

Supreme Leader Galahad

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Tbh this game should have Ranger Hardcore as the only difficulty, it's completely immersive and makes crafting and exploration a lot more important and rewarding it also feels realistic in terms of enemy and player health. Best FPS ive played this gen till further change.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
Is there a way to get rid of the Tikhar gun from my inventory? Entered the desert area now and I love my upgraded Kalash and revolver but barely use my Tikhar. Would rather have a shotgun in that slot :-/
you cant and I hope there will be a mod for that soon, it's my biggest problem with this game.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
But why? Plenty of people are loving the game, myself included, and plenty of people are bummed for one reason or another. I am absolutely enthralled and feel it is nothing like the disappointment that Wolfenstein The New Colosus was. I'm going to address some of the things people have brought up and my feelings of the game.

The controls are fine, a little heavy but adjust the sensitivity and after a few minutes you won't notice it. Frankly people are blowing that out of proportion. This isnt a Prey or Rise of the Tomb Raider Situation where I literally could not play either due to input lag and dead zone issues.

I love the story and setting. The moment to moment gameplay is enthralling. Like STALKER meets Metro. The characters have so much uniqueness as does each area. The guns feel awesome, the feeling of immersion and exploration are incredible too.

I was looking forward to this since it was announced, and I am not disappointed at all. If you loved the first two, don't get caught up in the echo chamber here. And frankly I wouldn't trust it either. The reviews are all glowing. I'm baffled why so many are hating so hard. But you know - opinions.
Thanks for the positive input!

I'm still very much looking forward to playing Exodus myself, but I do still find the talk of bugs and glitches to be common enough that I will still hold off enough to make sure that 4A support the game properly first before buying in

Deleted member 46922

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
People who haven't even played the game are review bombing it on Metacritic. I swear, grown-up people are just little children in a bigger body.

I'm so surprised reading about so many bugs. After hours spend with the PC version, it runs perfectly fine for me.
Are people on PC still using dx12 or something?

KorrZ

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I'm absolutely loving the exploration in this game. The graphics are stunning and the atmosphere is so on point that it's been a joy just wandering around the world. I cleared out a few areas before proceeding with the main story and even got a line from one of the characters mentioning how I had been there previously which was neat.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Man the first couple hours is like 80% cutscenes and slow walking

It's basically just a big cutscene that lasted hours, the real game starts much later.

As much as I love Metro games, their way of storytelling is straight up western AAA garbage that's plain un-fun and un-interesting.
Not to mention it makes replaying extremely unbearable.

Last edited:

APerfectOrganism

Sky Van Gogh
Dec 23, 2018
Washington State
Thanks for the positive input!

I'm still very much looking forward to playing Exodus myself, but I do still find the talk of bugs and glitches to be common enough that I will still hold off enough to make sure that 4A support the game properly first before buying in
I respect that :). When you do get it, I'm sure you will be blown away. This is easily the most detailed and immersive world I've ever experienced in a video game. Personal bias aside, the game is mind blowing. I'm on PS4 pro and the biggest issues I've had are minor - footsteps can sound a little funny, I had frame drops in the beginning but never since then, and I watched an enemy surrender by merging with a nearby stack of crates (that one made me lol). But it's really not a janky mess at all. This ain't no Fallout 76 lol.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I respect that :). When you do get it, I'm sure you will be blown away. This is easily the most detailed and immersive world I've ever experienced in a video game. Personal bias aside, the game is mind blowing. I'm on PS4 pro and the biggest issues I've had are minor - footsteps can sound a little funny, I had frame drops in the beginning but never since then, and I watched an enemy surrender by merging with a nearby stack of crates (that one made me lol). But it's really not a janky mess at all. This ain't no Fallout 76 lol.
Great to hear!

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
I just got finished walking in one direction until the textures and tree assets started looking jank and I realized I simply wandered out of the map! Ok then.

APerfectOrganism

Sky Van Gogh
Dec 23, 2018
Washington State
I'm absolutely loving the exploration in this game. The graphics are stunning and the atmosphere is so on point that it's been a joy just wandering around the world. I cleared out a few areas before proceeding with the main story and even got a line from one of the characters mentioning how I had been there previously which was neat.

So much this. I was amazed when I finished the first hub how many characters were referencing my actions and how my actions really spoke for my playing. Plenty of games have done this, but this game's world and characters seem to really notice everything you do, even the filler like taking out bandit camps.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Headshots with the silenced revolver result in some weird glowing particles that slowly disperse from where I hit. Anyone else have this? Could possibly be related to the nvidia physx stuff.

intheflorsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hate that it takes a half a second after I fire a rifle for it to make any noise. It's awful, completely takes me out of the game.

Hystzen

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester UK
Artyom not speaking makes no sense anymore it never bothered me much past titles but really driving me mad this time.

"Good job convincing Millar Artyom"

Dude I just stared at the floor come on now

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Really liking the atmosphere, and the visuals even without RTX is on par with anything else i've seen this gen. One thing i don't like though is the sheer amount of dialogue that is dumped on you whenever you get close to characters, especially on the train sections. Wish there was a way to manually initiate this and go through it step by step.

Also noticed the game crashed when exiting to the main menu after a long session on PC.

Deleted member 39587

Banned
Feb 6, 2018
We should remove difficulties that cater to casuals and open the dorr to players not having the experience intended by devs. Only From has the guts to do it.
YOU can have that experience by playing Ranger Hardcore. Why do you hate options so much? Ranger Hardcore isn't even perfect - the save system is shitty and makes the game more frustrating than it has to be, especially coupled with the crashes, weird hit detection, and general bugginess - I think Hardcore is the sweet spot between accessibility and immersion. See, now we already have two opinions as to what the most immersive experience feels like and that's why options are good.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
I haven't gone longer than seven minutes without the game saving on ranger hardcore and I'm up to the forest, bit much if anything. Don't think there's weird hit detection either, people go down super quick with any gun and any part of the body as long as you don't hit armor.

Deleted member 39587

Banned
Feb 6, 2018
I haven't gone longer than seven minutes without the game saving on ranger hardcore and I'm up to the forest, bit much if anything. Don't think there's weird hit detection either, people go down super quick with any gun and any part of the body as long as you don't hit armor.
Hit detection is a huge problem with throwing knifes - they just sometimes go through enemies. Headshots with silenced pistols are also sometimes just not detected and hit the wall behind the enemy resulting in them detecting you. I began on Ranger Hardcore and lost 10 minutes of gameplay twice and it's just boring to do the same stuff again because of some flying demon randomly coming in - so I switched to regular hardcore.

Tommyguns

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Question regarding the map: is there a way to get rid of the orange triangles with the mutant or skull icon in them?

I am pretty positive I cleared those areas entirely with no enemies left, yet the orange triangle remains

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the silent protagonist parts get pretty annoying when your talking with Anna.

"How are you doing my love?"

"Anyways, Miller wants to talk you"

Great emotional bonding with my wife there.

Supreme Leader Galahad

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
YOU can have that experience by playing Ranger Hardcore. Why do you hate options so much? Ranger Hardcore isn't even perfect - the save system is shitty and makes the game more frustrating than it has to be, especially coupled with the crashes, weird hit detection, and general bugginess - I think Hardcore is the sweet spot between accessibility and immersion. See, now we already have two opinions as to what the most immersive experience feels like and that's why options are good.
The devs already call Ranger Hardcore the ultimate Metro experience, its perfectly balanced. Saves are frequent enough, always before and after fights, safehouses also have saves. Crashes arent a feature of a single difficulty level so putting them against RH doesnt make any sense. No problems with hit detection. RH is already more accessible than in 2033 and LL given the HUD tweaks they've made.

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Its crazy how well this runs on a 970. It defaulted to Ultra but I put it down to medium/high and I get near 60fps. Game is great but I am not sure what happened to the gunplay. Why is there no recoil?

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
So much this. I was amazed when I finished the first hub how many characters were referencing my actions and how my actions really spoke for my playing. Plenty of games have done this, but this game's world and characters seem to really notice everything you do, even the filler like taking out bandit camps.

I love the fact that you can do something unknowingly and the game still makes a mention of it when the time comes.

Or when you complete a mission, you don't need to go BACK EVERY SINGLE TIME to the "quest giver" you just get a briefing via radio and are given new objective or are given free reign to continue exploring, it's so simple yet so smartly designed.

Aug 27, 2018
We should remove difficulties that cater to casuals and open the dorr to players not having the experience intended by devs. Only From has the guts to do it.
Well, I work full time and go to school so I have very little free time so I prefer my games to be less hard so I can get through them in the time I have. So no thanks. This whole "be hardcore or don't play games" shit is super ridiculous.