• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't get the Steam overlay to work for some reason. Meaning to FPS counter, no screenshots, no achievements.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
You know, I really liked the first game but not the second game. I often don't understand why they're grouped together. The second game has so much freaking talking with that dumbass Pavel screaming "BLLIYIYAH" at you every twenty seconds. It felt so much more directed and linear to me. The first game had such a great atmosphere to it with the supernatural elements and the jank kind of contributing to this otherworldly presence. So I dunno if I get the comparison.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Yeah but Japanese are more likely to be not buggy on launch than western ones.

I can't recall a recent Japanese AAA game being broken and buggy on release day, even MGSV which is literally an unfinished game feels extremely polished.

Plenty of polished western examples that are just fine on release: Spider-Man, God of War, Detroit, Horizon Zero Dawn. I think it's more the Eastern European devs that mess up sometimes: The Witcher 3, Original Metro games, Dying Light (awesome game, but has never been a polished product on consoles), Kingdom Come. All had issues at the beginning (or still have issues). All from Poland/Ukraine.

Oct 26, 2017
Dark mentioned the gamma is messed up on X during his Crackdown 3 analysis. Said it's now happened a few times on X recently.

Ah I see. Luckily during gameplay it seems fine at default though. Well maybe except for the part where you first control Artyom. That seemed a bit too dark. But the areas after it seem fine.

Some parts in the intro scene and a logo screen at the start had elevated black levels and I was afraid it would be like this during gameplay too, luckily it isn't.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Plenty of polished western examples that are just fine on release: Spider-Man, God of War, Detroit, Horizon Zero Dawn. I think it's more the Eastern European devs that mess up sometimes: The Witcher 3, Original Metro games, Dying Light (awesome game, but has never been a polished product on consoles), Kingdom Come. All had issues at the beginning (or still have issues). All from Poland/Ukraine.

All the examples you listed are western games funded and published by Japanese, aka Sony games.

Name some western-ass western game that's polished and not buggy on release day this gen. Even Red Dead Redemption 2 had some major bugs.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia

Kingdom Come is a Czech game

And Witcher 3 was at a better state at release than any modern Bethesda or Obsidian game

Oddhouse

Oct 31, 2017
It could be the actual tone/emotion/performance, not the accent

The girl certainly gets worked up at the appropriate times. However there is a distinct lack of motion capture so I can see the argument for lack of performance.

I guess it's the limitations of a studio with limited resources but striving for AAA standards.

I'm really enjoying it so far. Very much like wolf 2 but without the cutscenes.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Just started this on Xbox One X. It's definitely one of the best looking console games I've ever seen. The detail is incredible. Resolution really keeps it sharp and beautiful. It's gorgeous.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Yeah but Japanese are more likely to be not buggy on launch than western ones.

I can't recall a recent Japanese AAA game being broken and buggy on release day, even MGSV which is literally an unfinished game feels extremely polished.
bloodborne was a fucking mess technically on ps4 (and souls saga in general suffer in many technical areas) and xenoblade 2 was ultra shitty in handled mode, nier automata was graphically subpar and with an orrible framerate even on pc, ff15 at launch was literally an incomplete game with some framepacing\framerate problem and i can continue...

and then you have sony or microsoft esclusives that are more polished and graphically advanced compared to any japanese game on the market except maybe recent capcom games. (re2 hdr was a joke tbh)

so yeah, i'm not with you on this particular argument.

Mar 29, 2018
The girl certainly gets worked up at the appropriate times. However there is a distinct lack of motion capture so I can see the argument for lack of performance.

I guess it's the limitations of a studio with limited resources but striving for AAA standards.

I'm really enjoying it so far. Very much like wolf 2 but without the cutscenes.
Performance isn't just mocap or getting worked up - it's tone, pace of delivery, imbuing the voice with unique character (tics, habits, timbre, etc), showing a range and emotion.

I'm very much looking forward to playing the game to find out for myself.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Exclusives that are backed by Sony, developed inhouse for a single platform do have inherent advange. They can simply take as much time as they need to reach perfect polish, and they do not need to worry about any platform variance. And Sony is smart enough to allow for that necessary devtime.

Spence

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
The voice acting can be pretty immersion braking at times and some characters have russian accents while others sound more american.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I was wrong, at default Gamma it definitely has black level crush, making the sneaking parts where it's dark as hell just look bad. Is this a HDR thing? Guess I'll crank up the ingame Gamma some.

The voice acting can be pretty immersion braking at times and some characters have russian accents while others sound more american.

I wanted to change it to the original language like we could in the other two games. We can't here? I don't see the option at all.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
I saw there were was a lot of criticism for the English voice acting in reviews, having started playing the game I think it might be Americans not used to eastern European accents because it just sounds like Eastern Europeans speak English.

European here so used to it. Any other Europeans think the same ?

Im not doubting the authenticity of it, it just sounds bad imo

Wahad

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone else have terrible input lag on X?

Opening scene was horrible, later on is bareable but again kind of terrible...

Not responsive at all

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Are you playing with HDR enabled? Did you up the ingame Gamma setting a little or left it at default?

Yes to HDR. I had to whack up the gamma a bit. The gamma slider seems broken to me - I could never see the left most image. I put the slider up about two thirds of the way I think. Feels about right?

Oct 26, 2017
Im not doubting the authenticity of it, it just sounds bad imo

Yeah I have the same. It never really annoyed me in 2033 or LL but here there are some voices where I think... this is just bad.

As for loading times, I don't see the problem at all. I died twice (second time on purpose) and there barely was any loading really.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I saw there were was a lot of criticism for the English voice acting in reviews, having started playing the game I think it might be Americans not used to eastern European accents because it just sounds like Eastern Europeans speak English.

European here so used to it. Any other Europeans think the same ?

Yeah they sound fine to me. Wouldn't complain about the voice acting at all, sounds suitably authentic to my English ear.

Is there no Russian voice acting option in this one?

Oct 26, 2017
Yes to HDR. I had to whack up the gamma a bit. The gamma slider seems broken to me - I could never see the left most image. I put the slider up about two thirds of the way I think. Feels about right?

Yeah, when I put the slider all to the right I can see the image on the right but left just isn't visible at all. Wonder if they'll fix this. I like inky black levels but black level crush is never good.

Yeah they sound fine to me. Wouldn't complain about the voice acting at all, sounds suitably authentic to my English ear.

Strangely enough the option isn't there. Previous two games did have it.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
I'm not sure I'm feeling this to be honest. I'm only on the Volga level but it just feels quite disjointed. Controls are definitely intended to be deliberate but I feel it's a bit over-animated and control is taken away a bit too much.
FYI this is my first game in the series proper (played Last Light for a tiny amount years ago) so I'm sort of a bit lost which definitely contributes.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, this PC port is fucking awful.

Launched at the wrong resolution with a cutscene I had to skip like a minute in just to change the options. Controller immediately starts rumbling even though I'm using mouse and keyboard. No FOV option. No way to turn off motion blur. No windowed mode. Defaults to DX12 even though every single game I've ever played in DX12 has had something fucky going on with it. Default sensitivity is ass.

What happened?

Bacchus

Oct 30, 2017
I thought it would be available there as well but I didn't see it. Would be strange as hell if it's only available that way on PS4.

Can't check right now because I'm not next to my console, but IIRC the setting wasn't in a particularly obvious place. Think it might have been in gameplay settings, and you had to scroll down to see it. It would be easy to miss.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
So it has been awhile since playing 2033/LL, I remember story. Thing is I played Ranger Hardcore, w/e one was the one with practically no UI. It was great.

Started the game like this on Exodus but I feel like I am missing stuff. I remember the ligher and web thing, what else to remember?

I also found the cfg file and it says fov is set to 60...

Last edited:

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
I thought it would be available there as well but I didn't see it. Would be strange as hell if it's only available that way on PS4.

Voice options are absolutely there on Xbox, too. You just have to go back to the main menu and press "X" to download the voice languages you want.

The english VA isn't bad because of the accents, it's because they are badly acted, accents or not. Anna especially has incredibly flat delivery and keeps emphasizing weird parts of sentences. There's also little to no "flow" to the dialogues. There was one scene when I saved a Nurse and she joined our caravan, where she, a child and a few from our group talked. One of them made a joke that made little to no sense to me in english and seemed to be lost in translation. After that, there was like a 2 second pause where everyone just stared at each other and then everyone, at the same time, literally said:
"Ha! Ha!"

It was one of the more stilted conversations I have seen in a video game in quite some time. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore the game, but the storytelling and voice acting leaves a lot to be desired for me.

WHAT
WHY WOULD THEY DO THIS

That's awful to hear because the English voice work has always been weak enough to harm the presentation in the previous game.

This might have killed my purchase, at least at full price

It's there. I wish people wouldn't spread misinformation like this without being sure. I played the Xbox One version with Russian VA myself.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I don't think it's input lag that's an issue on console, it's the aiming deadzone is WAY too high with no settings to adjust it.

Weirdly I don't recall feeling this issue when I played an earlier event build running on an X. I hope they fix it quickly.

Oct 26, 2017
Can't check right now because I'm not next to my console, but IIRC the setting wasn't in a particularly obvious place. Think it might have been in gameplay settings, and you had to scroll down to see it. It would be easy to miss.

Voice options are absolutely there on Xbox, too. You just have to go back to the main menu and press "X" to download the voice languages you want.

The english VA isn't bad because of the accents, it's because they are badly acted, accents or not. Anna especially has incredibly flat delivery and keeps emphasizing weird parts of sentences. There's also little to no "flow" to the dialogues. There was one scene when I saved a Nurse and she joined our caravan, where she, a child and a few from our group talked. One of them made a joke that made little to no sense to me in english and seemed to be lost in translation. After that, there was like a 2 second pause where everyone just stared at each other and then everyone, at the same time, literally said:
"Ha! Ha!"

It was one of the more stilted conversations I have seen in a video game in quite some time. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore the game, but the storytelling and voice acting leaves a lot to be desired for me.

It's there. I wish people wouldn't spread misinformation like this without being sure. I played the Xbox One version with Russian VA myself.

Yes they indeed are in on Xbox too! I just had to go into the game settings and I didn't do that. I really expected it to be at sound. My bad!

WHAT
WHY WOULD THEY DO THIS

That's awful to hear because the English voice work has always been weak enough to harm the presentation in the previous game.

This might have killed my purchase, at least at full price

No worries! It's all in! Game options and then voice language. :)

When you choose Russian you press load and it will download a update.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
Okay so when I get hit the hit/hurt animation is suppose to cover your entire screen and look liek blood..

Its a smaller then my screen box that starts see through solid then shows blood. I only changed FOV and blur in the CFG file...could those be causing it?

Oct 26, 2017
Oh man that scared me man lmao

Thanks for clearing that up!

Absolutely!

It seems you can download German voices too, but no way. I'm sticking with the original. Sure, it means I'll have to look at the subtitles a lot more but ah well.

I just had to restart the game and yes, those loading times into your current save game do take quite a while. However once you're in and you die, the loading so far has been super short.