• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
Really interested in some base PS4 technical impressions. Now I'm kind of worried about picking this up today after reading some of the comments.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Wow, this game went from being hyped as hell to worried.

Guess I'll hold off on getting it for now.

Oct 28, 2017
If it wasn't for the constant crashes and aiming/firing guns feeling like absolute garbage this game would be pretty cool. I like the little sandbox levels a great deal.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Is the PS4 max sensitivity too slow or am I just too good at shooters?

The max sensitivity on PS4 feels like it's 20% of other shooters, it's making everything slow and clunky for me.

Don Logan

Mar 6, 2018
Thanks for this. How do you experience the input lag (like, how does it control compared to 2033 and LL?) and sound issues people are complaining about?

Well it controls like the older Metro games, so it feels really slow and heavy.
But it fits for this game because it's not a fast action shooter.
And yes there is something wrong with the footsteps that doesn't sound right.
But i'm having a great time so far and the atmosphere is unbelievable.
If you liked the older Metro games or Stalker you will love Exodus. :)

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Is the PS4 max sensitivity too slow or am I just too good at shooters?

The max sensitivity on PS4 feels like it's 20% of other shooters, it's making everything slow and clunky for me.

Is it like 2033/LL? I had the sensitivity on high in those games, and turning around is pretty slow even then.

Well it controls like the older Metro games, so it feels really slow and heavy.
But it fits for this game because it's not a fast action shooter.
And yes there is something wrong with the footsteps that doesn't sound right.
But i'm having a great time so far and the atmosphere is so unbelievable.
If you liked the older Metro games or Stalker you will love Exodus. :)

That's fine with me, if the controls are the same. Never bothered me. It wouldn't feel right if it controlled like CoD.

I'm gonna check some YouTube footage to judge the footstep sound.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Is there no way to set advanced graphical options or am I blind? I mean being able to like set texture detail, shadows low/high, that sort of thing? Seems weird that you can't mess with those type of settings in the options, like if you just wanna turn down shadows to get a few more fps but don't want to turn down textures, why can't we do that?

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Is it like 2033/LL? I had the sensitivity on high in those games, and turning around is pretty slow even then.

There was a bug with Metro Redux on PS4 where you have to access the sensitivity setting twice for the game to properly register the max sensitivity.

The true max sensitivity of Redux on PS4 is way faster than Exodus.

Oct 31, 2017
Seeing all these performance issues and thinking is it even worth it to buy games day one these days?
Just seems like an exercise in frustration.
I have already downloaded the game but I now I am thinking I should just wait 1-2 patches before even launching it.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I started playing on wednesday evening and so far there has been no more patches.
So i guess there was only the Day1 patch when i installed the game.

Yeah I saw some patchnotes being posted yesterday. I guess that is already out.

The footsteps sounds really weird. Just checked YT. Aren't you annoyed by these?

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Seeing all these performance issues and thinking is it even worth it to buy games day one these days?
I have already downloaded the game but I now I am thinking I should just wait 1-2 patches before even launching it.

Nintendo, Sony, Ubisoft and Forza Horizon games.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
This is kind of a dumb post. What do bad sound and input lag have to do with hardware limitations? And the AI is exactly the same on PC, so your point exactly?

And Spider-Man is an incredibly polished product. It was on release date and it is now. I don't see why that game needs a remaster. We don't even know how TLoU2 performance is, so you're just guessing here.
What I mean is that by the time the potential next gen remasters release they will have fixed many of the game's flaws and polished it. They have a track record of releasing big updates to polish their games as seen with the previous Metro games.

Plus the games will hopefully run in smooth 60fps. And yea, Spider Man, a game that is about fast paced action, swinging and flying through New York City, in 30fps is a no go for me, that's why I'm hoping for a PS5 remaster.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Stalker bros, hoes does Exodus hold up against the classic Stalker Trio? :)

It's scratching that itch big time for me.

Surprised about the negative impressions, I'm constantly amazed by the game and cannot put it down. On the X I also can't really complain about any input lag, but maybe that's because I played New Vegas [BC] and RDR:O before Exodus so it feels good. Not as good as say recent RE2:R, but good.

Bacchus

Oct 30, 2017
Wow, 3hrs in and this feels like a huge disappointment. Maybe I didn't set myself up for the most favourable first impression, but coming from 2 weeks of Apex Legends the gunplay in Exodus just feels so bad. The controls are imprecise and laggy, and shooting things just feels weak. The sound design and animation have no impact.

Writing so far also seems quite poor. Characters have a tendency to go on long meandering monologues where they repeat the same information 4-5 times. It's frustrating because you feel you have to listen to the end in case there's something important mentioned. Obviously it's too early to comment properly on the plot, but
the revelation that there's life outside of Moscow is handled really weirdly. The characters just seem to shrug, despite it being a completely life-changing development. It also feels like a huge retcon - Artyom spent so much time topside in the previous games, and never saw any signs of all this Hansa activity with trains etc. Also, why are the Reds and the Nazis allowed to exist and fight each other if there's supposedly this secret and powerful organisation running everything? It just feels weak. I'm sure things become clearer further on, but its not a great start.

On the positive side, the graphics are gorgeous, and performance on the Pro is mostly good. The HDR implementation seems to be a cut above a lot of recent titles, and really adds a lot to the presentation.

I'm really hoping I start connecting more with this as it goes along. I loved 2033 and LL, so i'd be really sad if this is a miss for me. The reviews seem much more positive than what I'd expect from what I've seen so far, so I guess it must improve as it goes on.

cooly08

Oct 27, 2017
France
Does seem that Steam version doesn't have the patch day one. My version is 1.0.0.0 while on Epic Store apparently it is 1.0.1.0.

Oct 26, 2017
Just fired it up!

One question, what difficulty should I choose? I love a challenge but I did NOT love those encounters in the previous two games where they block off the area and they keep throwing hordes of these assholes at you.

How many of these encounters are there? Because I might want to go for hardcore.

Tranqueris

Oct 26, 2017
Huh, I did not expect some of these reactions after coming back from playing it for 4-5 hours. If you liked the first two games, you'll probably like this one. It sounds like a simple thing to say but if walking around with a rifle that you have to crank for more damage during poor weather visibility and dealing with FPS style story telling where monsters and bad guys knock you to the ground or get right up in your face isn't your thing then yeah you're gonna have a bad time. My biggest criticisms at this point are that I don't like the little QTE that happens when you get too close to an enemy. You'll be ready to finish it off and whoops! QTE time, jam on the button!

I also think they should have gone full on Fallout New Vegas chat system with the character interactions. Instead of making Artyom a mute character who has to stand around and wait for characters to finish their endless monologues, just let me approach them and choose some text options and then let the character respond to me.

Last edited:

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan

RE2 is a very complete and polished experience since day one, highly recommended.
You can't beat Japanese games when it comes to polished gaming experience.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Is there no way to set advanced graphical options or am I blind? I mean being able to like set texture detail, shadows low/high, that sort of thing? Seems weird that you can't mess with those type of settings in the options, like if you just wanna turn down shadows to get a few more fps but don't want to turn down textures, why can't we do that?
Wait what? There is no way to turn down shadow or occlusion to gain performance?

Is this the first triple A game on pc without a shadow quality option??
I don't wanna turn down texture and details in a game like this...

Mar 29, 2018
I saw there were was a lot of criticism for the English voice acting in reviews, having started playing the game I think it might be Americans not used to eastern European accents because it just sounds like Eastern Europeans speak English.

European here so used to it. Any other Europeans think the same ?
It could be the actual tone/emotion/performance, not the accent

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Huh, I did not expect some of these reactions after coming back from playing it for 4-5 hours. If you liked the first two games, you'll probably like this one. It sounds like a simple thing to say but if walking around with a rifle that you have to crank for more damage during poor weather visibility and dealing with FPS style story telling where monsters and bad guys knock you to the ground or get right up in your face isn't your thing then yeah you're gonna have a bad time. My biggest criticisms at this point are that I don't like the little QTE that happens when you get too close to an enemy. You'll be ready to finish it off and whoops! QTE time, jam on the button!

I also think they should have gone full on Fallout New Vegas chat system with the character interactions. Instead of making Artyom a mute character who has to stand around and wait for characters to finish their endless monologues, just let me approach them and choose some text options and then let the character respond to me.

Agree.

As for the QTE, I recommend going into options and changing QTE setting to simply "press" - one press and voila.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Just fired it up!

One question, what difficulty should I choose? I love a challenge but I did NOT love those encounters in the previous two games where they block off the area and they keep throwing hordes of these assholes at you.

How many of these encounters are there? Because I might want to go for hardcore.

Man the monsters AI is very clunky, I'm picking normal because there's things in this game that just make no sense at all regarding what I previously said with the monsters.

Humans AI is great and ok, but the above... Just makes me want to stick to normal.

That's so fucked up...what the fuck is wrong with AAA western games these days?

It's getting... To a point where I don't wanna buy games on Day 1.. look at RE2 it just runs beautifully and with great performance

Oct 26, 2017
Man the monsters AI is very clunky, I'm picking normal because there's things in this game that just make no sense at all regarding what I previously said with the monsters.

Humans AI is great and ok, but the above... Just makes me want to stick to normal.

It's getting... To a point where I don't wanna buy games on Day 1.. look at RE2 it just runs beautifully and with great performance

You've said all I needed to hear. I'm sticking with normal too then. There's no reason to ruin the experience for myself, possibly, only to have a bigger challenge but with the chance of me putting it down because of rather annoying parts.

Loved 2033 and LL but man some parts were infuriating.

Oct 25, 2017

Re2 also has braindead AI

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan

RE2 is an amazing 2019 gaming experience with the dedication and spirit of a 1998 game, and I mean that literally.
Back in 98 video games were this polished on release.

Re2 also has braindead AI

The only braindead AI is the zombies and they are supposed to be braindead. Tell me how the lickers and tyrant's AI is braindead.

Last edited:

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
You've said all I needed to hear. I'm sticking with normal too then. There's no reason to ruin the experience for myself, possibly, only to have a bigger challenge but with the chance of me putting it down because of rather annoying parts.

Loved 2033 and LL but man some parts were infuriating.

My most hated parts in this game is everything that involves the monsters because the AI doesn't recognize you are there but then all of the sudden they jump at you like if they detected you... Makes no sense at all, I never attempt stealth around these bastards I go full guns blazing.

I really hate the monsters AI, I love the human encounters thou.

I'm sticking to normal because I really don't wanna get further frustrated with the game since I already have to look up stuff on YouTube because they don't explain the objectives properly one of the examples is the landmark mission where everything looks literally the same

Sigh, off from RE2 where I was constantly being chased by Mr X and looking at YouTube for puzzles... To looking at YouTube in Metro because I have no idea what I'm doing with mission objectives

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone else not see any icon in the Gamma option at default settings? It tells you that you should barely see the left image. Well I don't even see the right image unless I crank it to max. This is on X with HDR enabled.

Also the audio...

Guns sound nice so far but the max volume is very low, even worse when I enable the Atmos option in the game itself. Guess I'll turn that off for my headphones. Atmos enabled on the X itself should be enough.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone else not see any icon in the Gamma option at default settings? It tells you that you should barely see the left image. Well I don't even see the right image unless I crank it to max. This is on X with HDR enabled.

Also the audio...

Guns sound nice so far but the max volume is very low, even worse when I enable the Atmos option in the game itself. Guess I'll turn that off for my headphones. Atmos enabled on the X itself should be enough.

Dark mentioned the gamma is messed up on X during his Crackdown 3 analysis. Said it's now happened a few times on X recently.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Not true for all western games.
Same for japanese game, they are now always perfect at launch...

Yeah but Japanese are more likely to be not buggy on launch than western ones.

I can't recall a recent Japanese AAA game being broken and buggy on release day, even MGSV which is literally an unfinished game feels extremely polished.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
Playing on ps4 pro. It's good, but it basically controls like Killzone 2. Aiming is super slow and laggy, even at max sensitivity.